• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Palo coat/time?

susca

Earning My Ears
DH and I are sailing on the Wonder June 26. I'm already getting the bags out to start packing.
Does he really need a coat for our dinner at Palo or will a shirt and tie work fine? Also, in regards to Palo, we have the 2nd dinner seating yet want to experience each of the dining rooms AND Palo. When would the best time to have our Palo ressies at? Or should we give up one evening just for Palo. Advice needed! Thanks! :)

Hi susca,

Our cruise next week will be our 3rd, first 7 day. We didn't even try for Palo on our first (3 day) and on our second (4 day) tried for the 4th evening without success because we too didn't want to miss any of the diningrooms. Of course, that is everyone's first choice! So if you decide to go that route make sure you head for those reservations right away.

Actually on this one we've decided not to worry about Palo for dinner. We are going to try for brunch reservations though.

It seems pretty consistent that the preference is for jacket and tie for dinner at Palo.

Deb

What we just saw...

Dinner - Coat and Tie (some wore tuxedos - and it wasn't formal night).

Brunch - Ranged from business casual (button down shirts) to coat and tie.

No shorts / jeans / bare feet

shirt and tie? that might just be considered "very dressy" for Palo's based on what I saw. there I was in a suit/coat/tie for dinner, and at the table next to us are some folks in casual dress as if they were just going to the main dining - simple button down shirt with open neck. Oh, don't let me forget to mention one of them was wearing shoes with no socks!

nobody will say anything if he's wearing a tie with no coat.

as far as going to Palo and the dining rooms - since you have late seating, you could easily schedule Palo dinner at 6PM and still go to your regular seating afterwards. you might be extremely stuffed in doing so, but you could still go to the main dining and just have an appetizer/dessert.

we took our first cruise on the Wonder as a 4 day and didn't do Palo. This past trip, we had dinner at Palo on the night of our 10th anniversary. Let me say, that in comparison, it is no big deal to give up one night of your regular dinner seating to have Palo instead - it is well worth it. though the main restaurants have unique themes, the atmosphere is not all that different between them - same servers, same folks at your table, same noisy environment with lots of people and kids all around. at Palo, it is intimate, quiet, a wonderful ocean view, you are not rushed, the servers are a cut above those in the main restaurants and don't have to handle as many people, and the food is simply fabulous and cooked to order. add a nice bottle of wine and you've got a very memorable evening from your cruise. Let me say again, you do not want to miss a dinner at Palo if you have the opportunity to do it.

We went to Palo on our 3-day cruise and gave up dinner at Parrot Cay. That dinner was one of the highlights of the cruise. As to dress, we saw about 50% of the men wearing a coat. The other half were wearing either a dress shirt and tie and quite a few were wearing just dress pants and a polo shirt. From what I have read, I think that the Wonder is a bit more casual when it comes to dressing for dinner.

When will we find out our dinner rotation so that we could schedule the ressies on possibly Parrot Cay night? Will they give us our dinner rotation schedule when we check in or will it be waiting in our room?:confused:

You all have been so much help! Thanks!:)

your dining rotation will be on your KTTW card which you'll get before you get on the ship... you can then head straight to make Palo reservations on one of your duplicate nights...

we were just on the Wonder and went with three generations... we decided for our Palo night we were going the casual route and the men all wore silk Tommy Bahama shirts with pants and loafers without socks- thats florida casual :)- and they counted up the dining room and it was a 50-50 split.... half in coats and half in dressy casual shirts or even golf shirts... i think it comes down to YOUR vacation and what you want to do... if you want formal pictures of your family then by all means bring the coat and tie but if you are just there to enjoy, wear what makes you happy...

i suggest you wear what disney suggests, and not what you feel like wearing.

what part of "jacket reccomended" dont people understand?

in the long run, it really doesnt matter what you wear, i suppose. the last time i ate in palo, a very underdressed couple sat next to us. did it ruin my meal or evening? no. he just looked stupid being the only man in palo with no coat, tie, or even a dress shirt.

this is a long-running debate on the boards, but there would be no debate if disney enforced the rules. but they dont.

just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by suefornow
i think it comes down to YOUR vacation and what you want to do... if you want formal pictures of your family then by all means bring the coat and tie but if you are just there to enjoy, wear what makes you happy...

I agree with aalan and it simply comes down to DCL saying jacket/tie REQUIRED.

If you want to dress casual in the main dining areas, that's your business. You want to dress casual on formal nights and stick out like a sore thumb, be my guest. You want to go Palo and enjoy, wearing what makes YOU happy, having little or no respect for others there to have a formal dinner, ignoring the dress code, that's simply inconsiderate.

When we went to dinner at Palo there were quite a few men wearing only a polo or button down shirt with Khakis. My dad wore a shirt and tie, and he looked sharp. I recommend wearing the shirt and tie and not having to spend the evening looking around to see if anyone else is casual too. Dressing up is part of the game and it is not as much fun when everyone does not play...

i suggest you wear what disney suggests, and not what you feel like wearing.

If you want to spark up your look, try a whacky tie. But DCL does suggest a certain dress code, and we should agree to abide by it when we book passage. If you don't like their rules, find a cruise line who has the kinda rules you're lookin' for.

sorry didn't realize i would cause such a stir... but wanted to let her know what was recently viewed in Palo... after reading all this i rushed for my books and literature on the subject...

Originally posted by SlyHubby
I agree with aalan and it simply comes down to DCL saying jacket/tie REQUIRED.

not true... Disney's wording is "suggested" not required... i still think everyone should look nice, and my group certainly did, but it comes down to it being your vacation and there isn't a "required" dress code... if Disney wanted to step it up to "required" all would obey, but since they choose not to, on the cruise and at their hotels and restaurants, everything is going to end up Florida casual... i too helped the hubby decide what to wear, based on these boards, and he was one happy guy that he wasn't in the minoirty wearing a coat and tie....

not true... Disney's wording is "suggested" not required...

you missed my point. the point was that the word "suggested" should be removed and replaced with "required" and enforced - as you alluded to. then there would be no issue. after turning a few parties away, people would get the hint.

but it comes down to it being your vacation and

and that's where we differ. you can make the argument "it comes down to it being your vacation" to justify anything you like - that doesn't make it right. Personally, I think it takes a bit of gall to go to Palo in loafers with no socks claiming "Florida casual" as justification when "suggested" attire is jacket/tie.

let me point out the "suggested" gratuity schedule also provided in your booklet. it's only a "suggested" schedule - I mean it comes down to being your vacation and you've already paid good money for the cruise. Why give any tips at all? It's only "suggested" - it's not "required".

I take issue with the thought:

but it comes down to it being your vacation

It is not just His/Her/Your vacation. It is also OUR vacation.

I sign up to go to a fancy dress place and don't want to see people dressed like slobs, nor talking on their cell phones (saw this in the Med cruises) nor kids running around (even infants) at an adults only place.

Nor do I believe
if Disney wanted to step it up to "required" all would obey

Since all one has to do is observe human nature in all its resplendent glory to see many individuals believe those rules would apply to everyon but them.

If one doesn't want to dress up: Don't go.

You are not on this ship alone. There are approximately 4,000 other people on it.

is to hide under a rock...:( ... but then i realised that is the true benefit of these boards.. if no-one had a difference of opinion, much information would be lacking.. i was only trying to "report" what was recently witnessed on the Wonder... that's where i should have stopped and not described our own attire... that would be me, under the rock... you guys are quite passionate about your attire and i am completely in agreement that standards should be set, required and regulated but they aren't... Disney just doesn't do that here or at the World... I live in central florida and we all love dressing up and going to places like California Grill, Citricos, etc... but it always amazes me to have people in shorts in the same dining room...

:eek:

Wow, did this thread take a negative turn. I appreciate those who answered my question as of a tie appropriate enough to where to Palo. I wanted to avoid overpacking for our brief three day cruise on the Wonder. This will be our first cruise and I am not as "knowing" on all the cruise attire. Obviously this is a divided issue. Now as I enjoy my dinner at Palo I will be wondering how many people are judging DH and I over what we are wearing. We aren't the tank top and flip flops to dinner types, regardless of suggested attire.

Suefornow, thanks for your two cents worth. Please come out from under your rock because I wish to hide under it now.

:(

"Can't we all just get along..."

He said as he lifted up the rock.

Let's talk about time.

We have early seating (6pm) for dinner. We have two DD's, on 12 & one 15. We decided that we think the 730 time seems good for the Palo's ressie.

That allows us to go to dinner with our DD's if they wish, and to experience whatever that dining room has to offer in terms of show, etc.

Any other thoughts?

I would really love to read ONE thread on this board related to dress on the ship that doesn't turn into a debate. ;)

Jackets are SUGGESTED in Palo for men. I've seen men there in everything from polo shirts to tuxes. The majority do wear a jacket, some with a tie and some with a polo shirt and nice pants.

In general guests on the WONDER do dress MORE CASUALLY overall than they do on the Magic. The Magic folks obviously have two dress-up nights so perhaps that's why the men in Palo seem to dress up more as well.

Jgalecpa, that's a great idea, my only caution would be to NOT EAT with the kids. :) Just get drinks and perhaps a small appetizer. You really do NOT want to ruin your appetite for the great meal you'll be getting at Palo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter