Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously we are in the minority,But we dont think it sucks. I just think the majority dont understand it or how to use it, so the assumption is it sucks. Keep in mind it is a different crowd that goes to WDW vs Disneyland. Disneyland is heavy on AP holders and from what Ive been told, so is Paris. WDW is a ton of once a year, once in a lifetime type crowd who is easily confused by how the system works and what they can and cant do. I overheard so many conversations during park visits this last week either in lines, on buses , etc of people there for a week long vacation who had no clue how to manage FPs. The assumption is " you get 3 and what you choose is it". When you learn the system and realize thats false you begin to understand FP and use it to your advantage. We pulled an FoP 4 times in 5 days last week ( didnt try one day due to rain) the day of, used 9 FPs at MK on Sunday morning in less than 4 hours AND pulled an FoP. We pulled our intial 3 FPs every morning and then modified and refreshed. During the week there was not an attraction on property we did not see availability for daily just by refreshing. If they go to a paid system, thats fine by me. If they allow the AP holders to do what Max Pass does, even better. But, Ill wait and see what truly rolls out vs speculation because the reality to me and many others who understand how to maximize the system, is it doesnt suck at all. Its just confusing to the majority of visitors.

Imo I prefer the current system vastly to original paper system. A lot more ease of mind in knowing you have stuff locked in and can enjoy things you wouldn’t be able to because you’re not running around getting paper tickets.

I think the biggest flaw of the current system is the tiers, which is just a reflection of lack of offerings in half of the parks at least. Hopefully some of the future stuff coming down the pipeline will help resolve that

Its just confusing to the majority of visitors.

What often gets lost in this discussions, is that *all* of the FP systems are confusing to first time visitors. DL is brutal on first-timers who don't know the strategies for FP running. Tokyo's next-FP-window thing is weird (threw me badly the first time). FP+ is non-intuitive, and a little hostile to people who like to plan on the day. All of them though are an effort at a best fit for the park(s) to which they belong, and each resort is very different.

Imo I prefer the current system vastly to original paper system. A lot more ease of mind in knowing you have stuff locked in and can enjoy things you wouldn’t be able to because you’re not running around getting paper tickets.

I think the biggest flaw of the current system is the tiers, which is just a reflection of lack of offerings in half of the parks at least. Hopefully some of the future stuff coming down the pipeline will help resolve that

Me too. It was painful to go to DL and DLP and have to go back to using paper fastpasses and run all over the place.

I'm just going to assume this won't affect my 2020 trip as packages come out tomorrow and I doubt the new fast pass packages (if true) would be in place.

Although I doubt it would be tied to what type of ticket you purchase. We will have one AP (non-resident) and one 9 day park hopper. So if we have to make an additional fast pass package purchase, then so be it. We are staying at Yacht Club, so part of me hopes it's tied to resort tier. (not nice, I know :( )

Me too. It was painful to go to DL and DLP and have to go back to using paper fastpasses and run all over the place.

I actually just did this in DLP a few weeks ago and didn't mind. But DLP wasn't terribly crowded the first couple days. And that brings me to this point...

I think one aspect that was overlooked in the article (or maybe I overlooked the mention of it?) is simply the physical and crowd size of WDW vs the other two Disney Lands. I do absolutely recall what WDW was like before FP+ and I managed just fine then. But that was when you could go to WDW in February and crowd levels were light. Now, crowd levels are rarely 'light', and are pretty much at least moderate year round and the rest of the time they are heavy. As I said above, I was at DLP recently and managed fine... but only for the first few days. By our 3rd day the national holiday of 'Ascension' had begun to impact the crowds drastically. Where we were able to get multiple FP tickets on our first day, by our 3rd day we were only able to get a few FP tickets at DLP. Furthermore, we didn't really even need to get FPs for the majority of rides because they were walk-on our first couple days but by the 3rd day the wait times for everything was 30+ minutes; even Snow White's Scary Adventures was a 40 minute wait for us. Comparing this to WDW FP+, we would have been able to obtain more FP offerings and ride more rides under that kind of system.

In short, I think for the WDW customer (who isn't a regular WDW attendant like many of us on this board) to feel satisfied the FP+ is necessary. Otherwise, unless you're traveling at a time when crowds are light, getting beyond 3 hard ticketed FPs might be quite a feat these days.

Last edited:
My only issue with a paid system at WDW, is twofold: If the average guest who doesnt go a lot doesnt understand it now, how much more confusing will it be with a "you get 3 free but only for certain things and you have to pay for others" system and second the fact I can already ride pretty much whatever I want right now at anytime or within a reasonable time for free using FP+ and refresh.

I really don't understand how this means the current system sucks. The only thing this would "improve" would be to let people who are willing to pay for it pay for it, at the expense of everyone else that doesn't want to/can't pay for it.

I personally think FP+ is a big selling point for WDW and changing it to a more Six Flags experience pretty isn't going to be seen as an improvement to the majority of people.

I really don't understand how this means the current system sucks. The only thing this would "improve" would be to let people who are willing to pay for it pay for it, at the expense of everyone else that doesn't want to/can't pay for it.

I personally think FP+ is a big selling point for WDW and changing it to a more Six Flags experience pretty isn't going to be seen as an improvement to the majority of people.
Agreed. Also I would think people complain about the lack of FP+ now won't like it, because if this system takes place WDW (especially MK) could sell-out of these passes daily (months in advance too since you book rooms, dining, etc super early) during busy times in order to keep experiences pleasant they would have to limit the sale much less than the current FP+ overall. Otherwise I would think people would "clump" at e-ticket rides leaving the others empty (so overall less utilization). This very reason is why HP was excluded from EP for years and Hagrid's isn't added.

The article fails to realize the paid option at DLR isn't a replacement or offers a different FP system it is simply the ability to book on your phone (provides the convenience of not having to run) and it does provide photos for the day. It also doesn't realize that the reason for Paris's situation is because the park was so under-utilized it could support this type of setup and they needed ways to make money.

I love the way the FP+ is now, its really simple for me. I book 3 in the morning, then can easily get like 10+ throughout the day. Don't understand how this is really difficult for people, but I am guessing it has more to do with people not wanting to plan so far in advance. Making this a paid option for lets say like 50+ per person would just price me and my family out for future trips. Ends up adding like 200+ more a person easily per trip, probably more. Don't like this news at all but knew something like this was coming eventually, just hope it doesn't affect my Nov-2019 trip like the BS DHS FP+ tier switching did....

Will be interesting to see what comes of all the chatter. Generally where there is smoke there is fire and when it comes to WDW, you never know. Even when the most reliable sources say one thing, they always preface it with, WDW changes their minds last minute a lot based on what research they have at the moment. If it becomes paid or some sort of additional cost and keep the 3 free, to me it would become more confusing to the not so frequent or first time guests. Leave it as is and just stop the paid add ons and then its easy. Something to keep an eye on but until there is a Disney announcement with details, Ill keep using refresh and the current system to max out whatever we want to do on ride centric days.

I have no problem with the current fast pass system. It works great for me and the refresh system gets me on the rides I want with little hassle. Last trip I got on every ride I wanted multiple times and it was Easter week.
I feel if Disney changes the system it is a way of combating outside tour guides that charge up 200+ an hour and guarantee that you will get on your favorite 10 rides in that time frame. I know this because my niece did this on our recent trip. She said it was worth the $1,400 that she paid on top of the park admissions for 6! IF you have people who are willing to pay for park tickets, and pay for the rides then Disney wants their cut of the money.
I agree that this will cause many people not to bother and go somewhere else. I have an AP and I am content with walking around and getting on the rides with short lines or watching the parades. I will not pay to get in the gate and then to get on the rides. It is just too expensive and I don't feel the experience is worth that extra money. It also makes me want to book another Disney cruise instead. Pay before I board and I never have a reason to reach for my wallet again. No FP, No Tiers, and lots of yummy food.

I live about an hour from Disney. I’ve been to Disney twice since I’ve lived here. In those two time once was a probably historically low attendance day the day after a hurricane, and it was wonderful. I even figured out how to get my ticket on myDisney and got a fast pass for the only ride that had a wait.

The second time myDisney lost my ticket and would not allow me to make FPS even though I was staying onsite. My Disney fanatic sister was able to add me to her group, and got me FPs, but despite making them 60 days in advance we still couldn’t get the latest rides.

After that experience I found going to Universal was much less of a hassle, and the Harry Potter worlds are awesome.

However, if Disney made a way for me to buy FPs the day of my visit I’d pony up for an annual pass and be there every month.

Right now I feel that I’m at a huge disadvantage going to Disney. Those who understand all the rules and in many cases how to get around the rules for making fast passes get the more desirable rides. Those who are used to the idiosyncrasies of the Disney app are able to refresh and get more FPS while I can’t even get it to show my FPs.

I’m willing to pay more to be even with the folks that know the system well. I’m not willing to pay at all to go and get less of an experience.

I live about an hour from Disney. I’ve been to Disney twice since I’ve lived here. In those two time once was a probably historically low attendance day the day after a hurricane, and it was wonderful. I even figured out how to get my ticket on myDisney and got a fast pass for the only ride that had a wait.

The second time myDisney lost my ticket and would not allow me to make FPS even though I was staying onsite. My Disney fanatic sister was able to add me to her group, and got me FPs, but despite making them 60 days in advance we still couldn’t get the latest rides.

After that experience I found going to Universal was much less of a hassle, and the Harry Potter worlds are awesome.

However, if Disney made a way for me to buy FPs the day of my visit I’d pony up for an annual pass and be there every month.

Right now I feel that I’m at a huge disadvantage going to Disney. Those who understand all the rules and in many cases how to get around the rules for making fast passes get the more desirable rides. Those who are used to the idiosyncrasies of the Disney app are able to refresh and get more FPS while I can’t even get it to show my FPs.

I’m willing to pay more to be even with the folks that know the system well. I’m not willing to pay at all to go and get less of an experience.

It's hard to make everyone happy - I prefer the FP+ system and am not a super expert but can usually get the majority of what we want, and then work around that

We looked into going to Universal and in the end just my wife took my oldest daughter there for her birthday present (she loves Harry Potter) as I just couldn't justify the cost for all of us. If Disney became where we had to pay for access to FP at a similar price point as Universal we would definitely go less

Maybe just having some sort of hybrid system where those that are willing to pay more can get access to more but you can get some access without having to pay extra (they do have it a bit with the paid 90 day FP for club level, maybe just expand that a bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter