Package or not

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
Is it better to book a package, or just room only and then add tickets and food plan? It would be my husband and five kids. I want to stay at POR.

Is it better to book a package, or just room only and then add tickets and food plan? It would be my husband and five kids. I want to stay at POR.

You can't add tickets and dining to a room only reservation. You must book a package. POR sleeps 5+a pack-n-play, so you would need two rooms.

Smitch is right. You should compare pricing to see if a package is better priced than getting a room only reservation and then buying park admission and dining separately. You can't get the dining plan without buying a package (unless you are an AP holder), but just paying for food as you go is not that big of a deal.

How old are your kids?

I always find it best to look at both. Sometimes one is a much better deal than the other, depending on the promotions that are going on..

With a crew that big, renting points and getting a DVC room might be a good option, too.

When are you thinking of going?

OP's answered you about the packages but I wanted to add that DH and I have 5 kids too. We found it best to rent DVC points and stay in a 2 bedroom villa. If not POR doesn't have a room that will fit you unless you book 2 rooms. AoA has family suites also. We saved so much money renting points compared to staying at a deluxe through Disney. The only draw back was we can't get free dining, but for us, it's worth it;)

Unless you're on a DVC reservation, you must book a package if you want a meal plan (AP holders do have to book packages, even though they are ticketless packages). If you know you are going to get the meal plan anyway, it is easier to book the package than it is to book a room only and then convert it to a package. You cannot add a meal plan to a room only reservation. You can buy the tickets separately through Disney, but you cannot buy the meal plan separately.

If for some reason you absolutely want to pay off your vacation later than 45 days from arrival, you can book the room only and convert it to a package later, but if you don't mind paying it off, just do it all at once.

I think the family suites have a capacity of 6 persons, and the OP has 7. Unless one of the kids is under 3.

With 7 guests you would need two rooms at POR, even if one of them is under 3.

When I called to book a resort, I also asked for tickets. The two made it a package even without a food plan included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter