Overpackers Anonymous

I am not an over-packer compared to you folks. I couldn't imagine having to deal with 9 suitcases at the airport!

Neither can all us...that's why we use Magical Express! All we have to do is get the bags to the airport and a skycap. ;)

I used to be an overpacker, and now consider myself a moderate packer.

What helped for me was to create a spreadsheet of everything I packed, down to the smallest item.

Ahhh yes, the spreadsheet. I have one of those too. I actually think my packing got worse once I started using the spreadsheet!

I am so glad to read this thread ... this will be our first time to WDW and I have a list a mile long!!! Unfortunately, the suitcases DH and I usually take to the beach, I have just found out, are considered over-size for the airplane!!!! So now we have to downsize and get new suitcases or pay the extra $$ for over size (and probably overweight) luggage! UGH

And by reading this thread I have found a few extra things that weren't on my original list to take ... our trip is in 74 days and I am already starting to pack!!

our trip is in 74 days and I am already starting to pack!!

We've got it down to packing the night before - I've found when we start packing too early is when I throw in the stuff that is not necessary because I come across things and just throw them in 'just in case'.

When we went in October (5 nights) we have one 28" rolling bag for the four of us, one backpack to carry on per child and my VB tote.

I'm also a firm believer that rolling all your clothes instead of putting them as you have them folded in your drawers at home saves a ton of space!

OMG, If I had to pack that much I would be too exhausted to go on vacation.

I am a very under packer. If it weren't for all the lotions and potions I could get away with a carry on for 2 weeks.

I decide on a color scheme and pack only things in that color scheme. Everything should match everything. I should be able to pull 2 things out of my suitcase and call it an outfit. I am also not adverse to doing laundry.

If there are laundry facilities, I pack half as much as I think I'll need, if there are none. I pack one extra of everything.

I ware my heaviest and bulkiest clothes like my jacket and tennis shoes.

I have a gallon zip lock bag that I call my emergency bag. It has all sorts of OTC meds for just about any ailment but just enough for maybe one or 2 doses. Just to get us through till we can get to a drug store. I also have a few safety pins and Band-Aids, paperclips, matches and that sort of thing. There is always something in that bag we use every time. It stays packed and I replenish or update the meds when needed. every time I get a free sample of something it goes in that bag like stain removers or hand wipes. I even have an eyeglass repair kit and I have used that tiny little screwdriver many times.

With all that I still barely fill up a medium size suitcase.

It's just me, no kids

In the words of my mother, "We have found our kind".

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Trip is in 60 days, and I am already packing, this is not good.

My name is Lynn and I'm an overpacker too. For our trip to WDW last week, I packed four pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts for a 5 day trip. I only wore the 2 pairs of jeans and one pair of khakis, and only half he shirts I packed. I do it everytime....

I am not an overpacker. I am a planner (by trade and in leisure), so I write out an itinerary and create a packing list based on that itinerary. PLUS I try to be efficient with my packing...I roll or use space bags.

My mother. :scared1: She said that she *needs* another suitcase:scared1: .

Hi! My Name is Sharon. I'm an overpacker. I avoid the dilema of how to get all the stuff into 2 suitcases weighing under 50lbs each. I ship via FedEx about a week before we leave. Thsi trip, for just my DH and myself, I shipped 3 LARGE suitcases. Each one weighs well over 55lbs. They are stuffed so full of clothes, shoes, rain gear, cold weather gear, sheets, Aerobeds, coffee, coffee mugs, backpacks,....the list goes on and on. Did I say that we're only there for a week, not a year?

Hi! My Name is Sharon. I'm an overpacker. I avoid the dilema of how to get all the stuff into 2 suitcases weighing under 50lbs each. I ship via FedEx about a week before we leave. Thsi trip, for just my DH and myself, I shipped 3 LARGE suitcases. Each one weighs well over 55lbs. They are stuffed so full of clothes, shoes, rain gear, cold weather gear, sheets, Aerobeds, coffee, coffee mugs, backpacks,....the list goes on and on. Did I say that we're only there for a week, not a year?

A girl after my own heart! :lovestruc How much is it to ship 50 lbs these days?

I can totally relate to the overpacking! When my DH and I went there for our Honeymoon back in October, I packed WAY too many tops. The funny is, DH overpacked WAY MORE than I did! :laughing:

Hello. My name is Penny. I have been an overpacker for my whole life.

Also, I carry many different sizes of ziploc bags along too. see my sig. It explains everything.

Not what, but WHY?

Why bring an AeroBed?

Sorry, duh!! Well, say folks that get a room with mom, dad, boy, girl - with two beds and boy and girl are at the age where they aren't willing to share a bed...viola, instant third bed...

I'm an overpacker who's always trying to underpack ... but never really succeeds at it :)

Usually when my mom & I go on a trip we each have 1 duffle of clothes and share a 3rd duffle which holds everything else : pool towels, blow dryer, liquids, shoes etc. Then I have a carry-on suitcase, not very big, with a purse, laptop battery, adaptor with multithing on it (so we can plug 3 things with 1 adaptor), a couple books, cosmetic case, camera, etc...
And last but not least I have either a case or backpack for my laptop.
DM has her carry-on which is bigger than mine, I have no idea what she puts in there but it's always packed full.
We bring an extra duffle for all the stuff we buy.

I've rarely gone over weight limit and I've become an expert at guessing bag weight. Usually the biggest one is 49.8 or 49.9lbs :)

It would be nice not to have to bring so much with us, but I'd rather pack my own things than have to buy them once we get to our destination. We don't have a car, so a trip to Walmart can take up an entire afternoon and cost us a hundred bucks.

We bring an extra duffle for all the stuff we buy.

That's the line I've been waiting for.

We took a non-Disney trip about 8 years ago. I went to a used clothing store like Goodwill and bought a small brown Samsonite suitcase. We put nothing in it (big mistake) and checked it. When we finally got to our destination due to flight delays, the brown suitcase came off the ramp to the conveyor and bounced right off! People were looking at it like it was possessed. I sent our then 10 year old son to retrieve it. Let him get the funny looks!

Fast forward to about 4 years ago. I went to a conference in Providence, Rhode Island. Since the Bride was coming and Christmas was around the corner, I suggested bringing another suitcase, much like we did on the earlier trip. She said no, we won't need it.

Later, I was at the bar in the lobby of the hotel, talking with other attendees. Here comes my bride, pulling a suitcase she bought along with all her other treasures (Christmas presents).

I know not to bring this up to her any more because she'll get upset and I'll get something forcefully inserted somewhere in my body... :eek:

I am an over packer. But the family really thanks me when they need an extra band aid or body glide or mole skin. DH would rather do laundry half way thru the trip and keep luggage to a minimum. Not me. Doing laundry can be done when we get time. I am not paying to stay at disney to do laundry. I can do it for free when we get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter