over rated- Ohana dinner

We plan on trying ohana for the first time this summer. I'll set my expectations accordingly but I'm looking forward to just visiting the resort and hopefully watching fireworks after dinner. How bad could it be?

We have always enjoyed Ohana! Hopefully you have the same great experience :) it's a fun time, beautiful resort and excellent food

Well, I guess I am outnumbered here. My biggest complaint is the amount of sugar on ALL that was served. It may just be me/us, but don't enjoy sugary everything. Had I known ahead of time, I suppose I could have requested a sugar free meal? Has anyone tried this ?

I agree with you. We haven't been to Ohana in years now. Been to WDW over sixty times now. Our favourites are the simple places--Beaches and Cream, The Plaza, Splitsville, Via Napoli. Today I had the most wonderful sandwich from Boardwalk Bakery.

Yup, we have been to Via Napoli twice, on our last 2 visits to WDW. The menu actually has veggies, and "real food", and though pricy, felt like we got our money's worth (considering typical Disney prices). Enjoyed Mama Melrose with the F! pkg too. Loved Homecoming at Disney Springs too! Oh and Earl of Sandwich was a bargain for what we got!

We dined there in 2012, on our first family visit, and it had the same divisive reviews as it does now. Some of the food was good, the atmosphere was manic and a little overwhelming, and we consider it a one and done. It may be an institution for some but it wasn't one for our return list.

We haven't eaten here in years because our waiter insulted my husband by telling him "next time come hungry and ready to eat". We don't typically like buffets/family style meals because we don't eat huge portions. We wanted to try Ohana and we're prepared for more good than we normally eat, but we weren't expecting that comment! We thought the food was ok, but not worth the hype.

We love 'Ohana! Haven't had any bad experiences with the food or service. We had no problems with them bringing out the food with the veggies - wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

If PP's don't try a restaurant for themselves because of some bad reviews, you won't be trying 'any' of the Disney restaurants!!! They 'all' have bad reviews by somebody at some time! No one place can please everyone!

The place is 'packed' every day, so there are many people that love it. We always try places for ourselves - don't decide on other's reviews.

we have been three years in a row..with our kids and grandkids...and we are going again in May for our 50th anniversary day...we do enjoy the meal..and the atmosphere..hope those who had a bad night there..give it another try..

Ohana is a "must-do" on our family list when we head to WDW! All but one of the visits have met & exceeded our expectations. With that said, we are not vegan or vegetarian. Everyone loves the entirety of the menu! If items came too quickly we just asked the servers to slow things down a little, but that very rarely happened. Being seated with a castle view in the main area is our favorite and we don't mind waiting a little get it, although we really haven't had to wait except once. The kids games, the music, the food and the ambiance is a great fit for our family. I am so sorry you had a poor experience.

We are in the group that used to love dinner here and now avoid it after a few bad years in a row. We had fantastic experiences on our first trips and really bad ones the last couple of times-undercooked, slimy chicken, over and undercooked shrimp, stringy steak, overly sweet wings and dumplings, etc. We used to rave about the food here and it was a must do every year. I feel like the quality of the proteins they use has gone down- for example the last two times we had thigh meat for the chicken and previously we were served chicken breast.

Same our last time there a few years ago. Felt very rushed and the food was not nearly as good as it was the two previous times we visited in 2005 and 2009. We will not be going back.

We are in the group that used to love dinner here and now avoid it after a few bad years in a row. We had fantastic experiences on our first trips and really bad ones the last couple of times-undercooked, slimy chicken, over and undercooked shrimp, stringy steak, overly sweet wings and dumplings, etc. We used to rave about the food here and it was a must do every year. I feel like the quality of the proteins they use has gone down- for example the last two times we had thigh meat for the chicken and previously we were served chicken breast.

That's funny! We, as a family, FAR prefer thigh meat to breast. Better flavor and a consistent result is easier. Breast is so easy for others to over-cook and needs other ingredients to give it flavor.

You are one of many that have seen a decline in quality/offerings these last few years. Things seem to be on an up-turn across the parks and resorts, though.

It's so funny how different everyone's experiences are. I have to say for the most part, dinner at 'Ohana has always been a success for us. Sweet is an adjective I would have never thought to describe the food, other than dessert. Breakfast, on the other hand, we did for the first time last year. I'm pretty sure that was a one and done for us. Blah food, very rushed service, way too noisy. I can't eat gluten, and the chefs at 'Ohana always outdo themselves for me! Take a peak at my gluten free dinner & dessert!

enhance

enhance

We plan on trying ohana for the first time this summer. I'll set my expectations accordingly but I'm looking forward to just visiting the resort and hopefully watching fireworks after dinner. How bad could it be?
It's always a good idea to try a restaurant for yourself to see if it's a hit or a miss. Don't worry about setting your expectations - just go with an open mind because everyone's experience is different as you can see from all the posts. And yes - the resort is beautiful so definitely take some time to walk around and explore!

I feel like the quality of the proteins they use has gone down- for example the last two times we had thigh meat for the chicken and previously we were served chicken breast.

Thigh meat is more juicy and doesn't dry out as easy - much easier for them to grill and please more people. I usually fix chicken breast as I prefer the white meat, but I have to take extra steps when grilling to keep it from drying out.
As for the shrimp, 'very' hard to under cook when putting on the grill - only takes a couple min. per side.

That's funny! We, as a family, FAR prefer thigh meat to breast. Better flavor and a consistent result is easier. Breast is so easy for others to over-cook and needs other ingredients to give it flavor.

I agree when served in this manner.

Here was us thinking we were the only family that thought Ohana was just ...meh! I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with us :) even recently the Dis unplugged had it as No.2 on it's top 5 1xTS list. We just would never go back.
SD

Here was us thinking we were the only family that thought Ohana was just ...meh! I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with us :) even recently the Dis unplugged had it as No.2 on it's top 5 1xTS list. We just would never go back.
SD

I was about to listen to that list when I realized, after reading the comments, that it wasn't a list of "best". Popularity on the DDP is of no interest to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter