Our trip to the Polynesian Resort during Hurricane Ian! 9/25 to 10/1

Loved your detailed Trip Report. Thank you. Especially loved that I got to hear about the Poly side of town. (own DVC there) We were there EXACT dates but at Boardwalk Villas. Had a wonderful experience in a totally different environment for us (adult DD in her own studio across the hall and myself, Mom).
We are used to severe snowstorms but not hurricanes. I thought we'd be anxious but felt safe & cozy and appreciative of all the Cast Members who stayed and the kindness of everyone at Boardwalk and the other guests. It was actually a very nice experience. Aside from the horrendously loud helicopters (many) flying over my room Wednesday at 2:00 - 3:00 am for at least 25 minutes. Presume either Search & Rescue or Supplies. I really think Military because we spend time very near Cape Canaveral (Cocoa Beach) and constantly see Military helicopters coming from Patrick Airforce base to Canaveral. Same VERY loud noise.

Thought Disney did one terrific job. VERY impressed. If you have to be somewhere during a hurricane, a Disney resort (especially Deluxe, I can imagine) is the place to be.

I especially liked your videos. Stayed at Swan & Dolphin years ago and appreciated the cheap(er) rate while being where the action is (Epcot). We did go to get a few juices etc. there during the hurricane and wandered the hallways for old times sake and did notice the Dolphin had gone downhill. Was surprised.

I was aghast that Housekeeping was in your room at that time. That is TOTALLY unacceptable. Hopefully you will get a survey from Poly and make SURE you let them know what happened. Terrible, scary actually, experience.

Thank you again for relating your experiences. Loved reading it and glad you're all safe. I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread. Really did love your report.

Loved your detailed Trip Report. Thank you. Especially loved that I got to hear about the Poly side of town. (own DVC there) We were there EXACT dates but at Boardwalk Villas. Had a wonderful experience in a totally different environment for us (adult DD in her own studio across the hall and myself, Mom).
We are used to severe snowstorms but not hurricanes. I thought we'd be anxious but felt safe & cozy and appreciative of all the Cast Members who stayed and the kindness of everyone at Boardwalk and the other guests. It was actually a very nice experience. Aside from the horrendously loud helicopters (many) flying over my room Wednesday at 2:00 - 3:00 am for at least 25 minutes. Presume either Search & Rescue or Supplies. I really think Military because we spend time very near Cape Canaveral (Cocoa Beach) and constantly see Military helicopters coming from Patrick Airforce base to Canaveral. Same VERY loud noise.

Thought Disney did one terrific job. VERY impressed. If you have to be somewhere during a hurricane, a Disney resort (especially Deluxe, I can imagine) is the place to be.

I especially liked your videos. Stayed at Swan & Dolphin years ago and appreciated the cheap(er) rate while being where the action is (Epcot). We did go to get a few juices etc. there during the hurricane and wandered the hallways for old times sake and did notice the Dolphin had gone downhill. Was surprised.

I was aghast that Housekeeping was in your room at that time. That is TOTALLY unacceptable. Hopefully you will get a survey from Poly and make SURE you let them know what happened. Terrible, scary actually, experience.

Thank you again for relating your experiences. Loved reading it and glad you're all safe. I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread. Really did love your report.

Normally we stay on Crescent Lake - Boardwalk is generally our home on most trips, but we're likely aiming for Yacht in the future.

How was the food & beverage service in a hurricane at Boardwalk? Did they have inside service or was it all out on the boardwalk? The funny story is, after staying at Yacht last December, we actually had a conversation that we liked Yacht in case of a storm, as everything was inside. This is hurricane #4 for me, but the last one I did on property was at the Contemporary as a CM on ride out crew. This time, I got to experience it as a guest.

Yes - the Dolphin really needs a major refurb. The rooms arent terrible - but the hallways are for sure!

On my housekeeping issue - I would have been a LOT more upset if we hadnt already moved out. All our stuff was out - I just planned on returning to the room for a bathroom break and to do my normal room tour video I do on all our trips - and someone else already beat me to the bathroom break.

Thank for the reply, I'd love to hear more about how everything was over at Boardwalk!

Normally we stay on Crescent Lake - Boardwalk is generally our home on most trips, but we're likely aiming for Yacht in the future.

How was the food & beverage service in a hurricane at Boardwalk? Did they have inside service or was it all out on the boardwalk? The funny story is, after staying at Yacht last December, we actually had a conversation that we liked Yacht in case of a storm, as everything was inside. This is hurricane #4 for me, but the last one I did on property was at the Contemporary as a CM on ride out crew. This time, I got to experience it as a guest.

Yes - the Dolphin really needs a major refurb. The rooms arent terrible - but the hallways are for sure!

On my housekeeping issue - I would have been a LOT more upset if we hadnt already moved out. All our stuff was out - I just planned on returning to the room for a bathroom break and to do my normal room tour video I do on all our trips - and someone else already beat me to the bathroom break.

Thank for the reply, I'd love to hear more about how everything was over at Boardwalk!

Tuesday night after being at Epcot F&W all day, we walked to YC Market to pick up some sandwiches they made while we waited. We wanted to have at least 2 backup ‘Meals’ for Hurricane Day Wed. (Sandwiches and homemade chips were great). We bought juices from the refrigerated area. On way back to BWV we stopped at Boardwalk Bakery for second backup ‘meal’. Pastrami sandwich and tomato soup / grilled cheese. We kinda gulped when we saw sandbags all over. We had heard BWV would have boxed meals but wanted backups just in case.

Wednesday and Thursday BWV did have boxed breakfast, lunch and dinners (can’t remember $7 or $8) handed out in BelleVue bar area. ALSO 3 BUFFETS each day served in the BW Conference Room attached to the building. I think $10-12. We didn’t go as we were fine.
Cast members were Fabulous, We felt like one big happy, cozy family with Goofy entertaining us in the Lobby. On our door was a Flashlight. Housekeeping came with towels and amenities. Everyone was in a great mood. We did not hesitate to say Thank you to every Cast Member we saw. They stayed overnight at the Boardwalk rooms both nights. They looked excited to be there.

Personally we were saddened because areas we spent years at were under water (Ft Myers/ Sanibel) and we were concerned about MCO opening for us to leave Sat evening. Daughter and I each had commitments.

We were thankful and blessed to be at BWV (Disney in general) and not once felt anxious. We did miss going to parks for 2 days out of 7 but still felt the trip was wonderful as usual. We felt safe and calm and everyone seemed the same. We already have May and September booked for next year.

I apologize for being too wordy.

Also FYI, Uh-oa is likely to be discontinued soon. Both a bartender and server at Trader Sams confirmed.

NOOOOOOO! I've been talking that up to my daughter for years now! We're planning a trip to DLR for her 21er (yeah, it's 2.5 yrs away, but I like planning!) and she was really looking forward to the Uh Oa!! Maybe just discontinued at WDW and not DLR!! 🙏

Tuesday night after being at Epcot F&W all day, we walked to YC Market to pick up some sandwiches they made while we waited. We wanted to have at least 2 backup ‘Meals’ for Hurricane Day Wed. (Sandwiches and homemade chips were great). We bought juices from the refrigerated area. On way back to BWV we stopped at Boardwalk Bakery for second backup ‘meal’. Pastrami sandwich and tomato soup / grilled cheese. We kinda gulped when we saw sandbags all over. We had heard BWV would have boxed meals but wanted backups just in case.

Wednesday and Thursday BWV did have boxed breakfast, lunch and dinners (can’t remember $7 or $8) handed out in BelleVue bar area. ALSO 3 BUFFETS each day served in the BW Conference Room attached to the building. I think $10-12. We didn’t go as we were fine.
Cast members were Fabulous, We felt like one big happy, cozy family with Goofy entertaining us in the Lobby. On our door was a Flashlight. Housekeeping came with towels and amenities. Everyone was in a great mood. We did not hesitate to say Thank you to every Cast Member we saw. They stayed overnight at the Boardwalk rooms both nights. They looked excited to be there.

Personally we were saddened because areas we spent years at were under water (Ft Myers/ Sanibel) and we were concerned about MCO opening for us to leave Sat evening. Daughter and I each had commitments.

We were thankful and blessed to be at BWV (Disney in general) and not once felt anxious. We did miss going to parks for 2 days out of 7 but still felt the trip was wonderful as usual. We felt safe and calm and everyone seemed the same. We already have May and September booked for next year.

I apologize for being too wordy.
We probably won't do a Sept trip again - storm season is a risk that my wife doesnt want to explore again (this was my 4th hurricane) - but thanks for sharing your experience from BWV!

Adding to our review - Magic Band Plus...... sorry, I think this was a waste of $$

While they were "neat" when they worked, it was rare and intermittent - I wouldnt pay extra for these again.

Here's a video that really champions the characters at Walt Disney World - while this is only a YouTube Short - we had HOURS of 1:1 type of interactions with Mickey, Pluto, Lilo & Stitch during the hurricane. This is something our kids will remember forever!

Reactions: DLo

This week was our "backup" week if we didnt get our booking for our trip from this trip report. At one point, my wife said "we should have just done our normal November dates...." during Hurricane Ian.

Welp. We'd have just seen Hurricane Nicole instead. Crazy to think, it wouldnt have mattered which week we chose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!