Our son came out of the pool at Typhoon Lagoon with a bloody back and huge wounds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
On October 11th, we spent the day at Typhoon Lagoon. It was our first time at any Disney water park. My husband and our 8 year old son decided to get into the main pool and soon afterward a giant wave came down. My husband and son were holding hands but the wave threw them both down and my husband actually got separated from our son. They both went under water for a bit. When they came back up, our son’s back was full of blood. We rushed him to the first aid office and the nurse, who was very nice, said that it happens a lot here because the bottom of the pool is very rough. There were two huge circular wounds on my son’s back, on his spine. I was very upset and scared. The wounds looked horrible. They were very deep. The nurse cleaned the wounds and put a bandage on them. He was nice enough to give us some extra bandages and told us how to take care of the wounds. We really appreciated his help. He was great. However, the wounds were so bad and so painful, our son was having problems getting into the water for the rest of the day. We went and bought him a swim shirt (which was quite expensive) from the gift shop at Typhoon Lagoon in order to try to cover his back to give the wounds some more protection and allow him to try to be able to swim for the rest of day and our vacation. He was able to swim for the rest of our vacation but was in a lot of pain. We had to continuously change his bandages, apply creams to help with the pain and help it heal and we had to give him ibuprofen daily for the pain. The wounds didn’t close up and heal until a week after we got back home from Florida. We arrived home on October 25th. We were surprised that there were no warnings about the danger of the wave pool. There are signs telling people that they should hold on to small children etc. but doesnt really explain the dangers in detail plus we didn’t think an 8 year old boy is considered a small child. Also, my husband actually was holding his hand and they both got thrown back and separated, getting pushed under water. My husband said that the power of the wave was so strong that even he fell down and lost control. He thought it was extremely dangerous. Either Disney needs to put detailed information on their signs about the actual dangers and possibilty of getting hurt in that pool or they should cut down the power of the wave. We later saw another boy around our son's age with the exact same wounds going in to the first aid office. It's ridiculous. My son now has two big scars on his back. We enjoyed the rest of the park but dont plan on going into that pool again. We actually had a better time at Blizzard Beach.

The pool bottom is rough because if it were smooth there would be slipping and falling on the bottom due to the action of the waves, which would be actually more dangerous than the rough bottom.

they don't realize that you don't consider an 8 year old to be a "small child." I would.

That wave pool is very strong almost ferocious but that is what it is known for the biggerst largest waves they even do surfing classes before the park opens there. I do not go in it but my teens love it. I guess theres something for all ages. This is one of those pools I would say is not mandatory for small kids to not go in but its up to parents to make that choice and evaluate before they let them go in. We waited to see the waves before entering the first time its pretty apparent they are huge it makes a big swoosh sound like flood gates opening

i don't know how they could add to the signs without seeming patronizing or insulting.

I'm sorry that happened to your son.

A similar thing happened to one of my kids. Not as bad as yours, but quite a nasty wound on the leg.

OP, are you familiar with wave pools? Unfortunately, it sounds like your son's injury resulted from your assumption of risk when you chose to go to the pool.

We go to wave pools occasionally at home (though never been to one at Disney) and they seem rather dangerous in general. But we could choose not to go, and if one of my kids were injured, I'd blame myself rather than the pool operator.

I just think it's the nature of the beast, and no amount of warning or caution is going to cover every eventuality.

I was on the Cape Cod shore once, holding hands with my then 6 year old son. We were in less than knee deep water and a wave took us both. I held on to him for dear life as we were tumbled about. I grew up on the shore, yet I was still taken by surprise. When water is involved, either in a natural or man-made setting, caution should be taken.

Sorry your little guy was hurt.

The pool bottom is rough because if it were smooth there would be slipping and falling on the bottom due to the action of the waves, which would be actually more dangerous than the rough bottom.

they don't realize that you don't consider an 8 year old to be a "small child." I would.

Yes the nurse told us why they have a rough bottom but that doesnt take away the danger. Also, even though we dont consider an 8 year old a small child, my husband was till holding his hand before the wave hit as the sign reccomended. Didnt help. He still got hurt.

OP, are you familiar with wave pools? Unfortunately, it sounds like your son's injury resulted from your assumption of risk when you chose to go to the pool.

We go to wave pools occasionally at home (though never been to one at Disney) and they seem rather dangerous in general. But we could choose not to go, and if one of my kids were injured, I'd blame myself rather than the pool operator.

We have never had any experience with a wave pool ever. When we watched the wave some in with the other folks in the water it didnt seem that powerful. How were we supposed to know until we experienced it ourselves???? We saw other kids his age in there with their parents. So they went in and the wave was so powerful it even threw my husband down. So why would you think I should blame myself when we had zero experience and the warnings were no where close to telling you the actual danger of the pool!!:mad:

So what could it say besides "caution, waves may be strong." I'm not sure exactly what you would like to see the signs say.

i don't know how they could add to the signs without seeming patronizing or insulting.

Why would it be insulting if they simply said that the wave is very powerful, the bottom is very rough and there is a possible chance of cuts and injury regardless of age. If I read that, I wouldnt have let my son go in!!!

So what could it say besides "caution, waves may be strong." I'm not sure exactly what you would like to see the signs say.

We had no clue that the waves can force you to the bottom of the pool that happens to have extremely rough texture and can cut you up regardless of age. Ive been in the ocean playing in waves and never got hurt because I didnt have to deal with sandpaper on the bottom.

There is no way they are going to have a sign that says "Waves may knock you down and cut you up on the rough pool bottom." Maybe "rough pool bottom" would be enough. Having been in the pool it would not have come as a surprise that the pool had a rough bottom just from walking on it...but a lot of people wear water shoes now.

The ocean has sand. I guess they could have put in sand but it just doesn't work like the ocean, and for obvious reasons they can't have a smooth bottom on the wave pool, traction is required.

I don't know that they could say anything in addition to what is already posted. The best way (IMO) to enjoy a wave pool is to enter it when the waves are off and then make your way toward the back. This way the waves don't break on you and you don't get knocked down.

Glad your son wasn't seriously injured. That wave pool knocks them down like bowling pins.

This won't be the last time he gets bloodied growing up. Given a choice next trip, I'll bet he hops right back in the wave pool.

On October 11th, we spent the day at Typhoon Lagoon. It was our first time at any Disney water park. My husband and our 8 year old son decided to get into the main pool and soon afterward a giant wave came down. My husband and son were holding hands but the wave threw them both down and my husband actually got separated from our son. They both went under water for a bit. When they came back up, our son’s back was full of blood. We rushed him to the first aid office and the nurse, who was very nice, said that it happens a lot here because the bottom of the pool is very rough. There were two huge circular wounds on my son’s back, on his spine. I was very upset and scared. The wounds looked horrible. They were very deep. The nurse cleaned the wounds and put a bandage on them. He was nice enough to give us some extra bandages and told us how to take care of the wounds. We really appreciated his help. He was great. However, the wounds were so bad and so painful, our son was having problems getting into the water for the rest of the day. We went and bought him a swim shirt (which was quite expensive) from the gift shop at Typhoon Lagoon in order to try to cover his back to give the wounds some more protection and allow him to try to be able to swim for the rest of day and our vacation. He was able to swim for the rest of our vacation but was in a lot of pain. We had to continuously change his bandages, apply creams to help with the pain and help it heal and we had to give him ibuprofen daily for the pain. The wounds didn’t close up and heal until a week after we got back home from Florida. We arrived home on October 25th. We were surprised that there were no warnings about the danger of the wave pool. There are signs telling people that they should hold on to small children etc. but doesnt really explain the dangers in detail plus we didn’t think an 8 year old boy is considered a small child. Also, my husband actually was holding his hand and they both got thrown back and separated, getting pushed under water. My husband said that the power of the wave was so strong that even he fell down and lost control. He thought it was extremely dangerous. Either Disney needs to put detailed information on their signs about the actual dangers and possibilty of getting hurt in that pool or they should cut down the power of the wave. We later saw another boy around our son's age with the exact same wounds going in to the first aid office. It's ridiculous. My son now has two big scars on his back. We enjoyed the rest of the park but dont plan on going into that pool again. We actually had a better time at Blizzard Beach.

You've never been in a wave pool before or even watched the pool at TL before you got in?

Why would it be insulting if they simply said that the wave is very powerful, the bottom is very rough and there is a possible chance of cuts and injury regardless of age. If I read that, I wouldnt have let my son go in!!!

I have not been to the water parks at all. I agree with you..... if the first aid attendant told you it happens frequently Disney could certainly give more warning of the types of injuries that can occur so that parents can make a more informed decision and understand the level of risk.

It all sounds dangerous to me. It seems the possibility of injury in the water parks is quite high. I do not see myself ever adding the water parks to our trip or at least until our child is much older.

Because it's common sense? :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter