Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

I love this part of the bay area. DH works for one of those IT companies based in Silicon Valley and I've been lucky enough to head there at least once every 18 months over the last 15 years or so.
Glad to see that Roaring Camp was a hit with your family!

The Boardwalk looks like a lot of fun! The train looks really cool too. Love the scenery. I will have a Tesla someday! I just need the Model 3 to come out so I can afford one. :) Lots of them here in Denver....make me jealous every time I see one!

Back to the Royal Gorge area. The park burned a couple of years ago in a really bad wildfire. They just got it reopened last fall with a few attractions and they are working on rebuilding more so I'm not sure if the little train made it or not.

Jill in CO

First off, that Buckskin Joe miniature train looks really cool! From what I could find via google search it has shut down as people bout that plus Buckskin Joe's and moving things to their private estate (saw mention of it being the Koch brothers that bought it)

The beach and boardwalk look pretty fun - such a fun setting and cool that you saw the skyway! I recall riding that at WDW when I was younger but obviously will never get on the Disneyland version - seemed cool that it went through the Matterhorn!

Roaring Camp looks really cool! Very scenic and relaxing .... I am sure my kids would have really enjoyed that ride - at least Peter given that at least 5 times a day he asks me "Some day, can we ride a train?!?!?!?"

I am horrible at finding TR's when they first start, but I just found your new TR and am all caught up! Your trip sounds like so much fun, really sums up the phrase "it's about the journey, not the destination"! We are headed to San Diego and Anaheim starting Saturday and now I know we have to go to In & Out Burger!

Your kids are such adventurous eaters, I am so impressed with their willingness to try new foods!!!

From your last TR I have been telling my husband that we have to make a trip over to Marceline. We are thinking of a road trip from here in Chicago, including stops in Springfield, St. Louis, Hannibal, and Marceline. A much smaller road trip in comparison to yours!! It will probably be next summer since our last weekend of this summer is a trip to Indy for the DisMeet. Very exciting about the Autotopia possibly being restored!

Wow, that train trip through the redwoods looks awesome! Was that in Santa Cruz? If we ever make that west coast trip I'm going to add that to the list of places to visit.

So glad you found Roaring Camp fun! We go to a family camp every year up in Santa Cruz and one day during the week, the train from Roaring Camp goes up to Mt. Herman and picks all of us up and takes us all the way down to the boardwalk to spend the day and brings us back to the camp in the evening. Such a beautiful way to get to the beach!

I love this part of the bay area. DH works for one of those IT companies based in Silicon Valley and I've been lucky enough to head there at least once every 18 months over the last 15 years or so.
Glad to see that Roaring Camp was a hit with your family!

That's really awesome about you being able to tag along with your DH on all those San Francisco trips through the years!

The Boardwalk looks like a lot of fun! The train looks really cool too. Love the scenery. I will have a Tesla someday! I just need the Model 3 to come out so I can afford one. :) Lots of them here in Denver....make me jealous every time I see one!

Back to the Royal Gorge area. The park burned a couple of years ago in a really bad wildfire. They just got it reopened last fall with a few attractions and they are working on rebuilding more so I'm not sure if the little train made it or not.

Jill in CO

Yeah, those Teslas are really cool. We saw LOTS of Mini Coopers out in San Francisco too. Which was fun, because I've already decided that I'll be purchasing a Mini Cooper later this year. Princess turns 16 in January... and she'll inherit my current car, and I'll finally have an excuse to buy a smaller car just for me :banana:

First off, that Buckskin Joe miniature train looks really cool! From what I could find via google search it has shut down as people bout that plus Buckskin Joe's and moving things to their private estate (saw mention of it being the Koch brothers that bought it)

The beach and boardwalk look pretty fun - such a fun setting and cool that you saw the skyway! I recall riding that at WDW when I was younger but obviously will never get on the Disneyland version - seemed cool that it went through the Matterhorn!

Roaring Camp looks really cool! Very scenic and relaxing .... I am sure my kids would have really enjoyed that ride - at least Peter given that at least 5 times a day he asks me "Some day, can we ride a train?!?!?!?"

That's a shame about Buckskin Joe's shutting down. The train was really awesome, and the fact that it stopped right at the edge of Royal Gorge put it over the top. :charac2:

Yeah, that train ride was fun. We've done a lot of scenic railroads through the years, and this one of the best! At least Peter will be on the Disneyland Railroad soon!

This looks like such a fun day!

It was indeed!

I am horrible at finding TR's when they first start, but I just found your new TR and am all caught up! Your trip sounds like so much fun, really sums up the phrase "it's about the journey, not the destination"! We are headed to San Diego and Anaheim starting Saturday and now I know we have to go to In & Out Burger!

Your kids are such adventurous eaters, I am so impressed with their willingness to try new foods!!!

From your last TR I have been telling my husband that we have to make a trip over to Marceline. We are thinking of a road trip from here in Chicago, including stops in Springfield, St. Louis, Hannibal, and Marceline. A much smaller road trip in comparison to yours!! It will probably be next summer since our last weekend of this summer is a trip to Indy for the DisMeet. Very exciting about the Autotopia possibly being restored!

Glad you made it over to our TR!!! Yes, you should definitely do In-N-Out!!! I hope you have a lot of fun on your trip!!!

That sounds like a fun drive from Chicago to Marceline! It would be awesome if they get their funding for the new Midget Autopia ride and that it's open when you visit!

Wow, that train trip through the redwoods looks awesome! Was that in Santa Cruz? If we ever make that west coast trip I'm going to add that to the list of places to visit.

The train is about 20 minutes north of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, in Felton, CA. Such a beautiful and underrated area :hippie:

So glad you found Roaring Camp fun! We go to a family camp every year up in Santa Cruz and one day during the week, the train from Roaring Camp goes up to Mt. Herman and picks all of us up and takes us all the way down to the boardwalk to spend the day and brings us back to the camp in the evening. Such a beautiful way to get to the beach!

A family camp in Santa Cruz sounds like fun, and taking the train to the beach sound even better. That's just too cool!!!!

Day 6 - Wednesday June, 17 - Giant Trees!

OK. So we decided to take the train conductor’s advice and walk over to Henry Cowell State Park. It was literally a few steps across the railroad tracks.

I’m sure glad that we did take his advice. This place was amazing! We’ve been to Muir Woods before, and we visited the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite later this trip, but Henry Cowell State Park seemed to have more giant Sequoia’s per square foot (or whatever appropriate measurement) than those. It didn’t have the tallest Sequoias, just LOTS of them. I felt like a bunch of Ewoks would be jumping out to capture us at any moment!!!

giphy.gif

Anyway, they had a giant slice of a tree trunk at the entrance, noting signifiant historical events along the tree rings. It’s crazy to think that this tree was alive at the same time as Jesus!

I took tons of photos, but I’ll spare you most of them.

I forget what this tree was called, but it was the tallest one in the grove. You can barely make out my kids in front of the trunk.

And then we tried to do the panorama thing vertically with the phone… Wowsers, that’s a long way up!

So we explored in the forest for a while looking at all the trees and watching the kids run around and goof off. After about an hour, we headed back to our cars through Roaring Camp. It was mostly empty by this time, but still fun to explore.

It was getting to be time for dinner. We decided to head back into Santa Cruz, to find a cool restaurant.

I had found it… a Hawaiian Tiki Bar and restaurant. The menu looked good, the atmosphere looked good, the Yelp reviews were great. This was it! Except for when we arrived, they were having a wedding party, and it was going to be like two hours before they could seat us. No time for that! So we walked down the block and found a cool pizza joint, “Pizza My Heart."

You could order by the slice and they had some good beer on tap. Not quite the tiki bar experience, but we all had fun eating on a giant surf board table. And this place was hopping!!! Lots of activity and good energy. The pizza was tasty. I’d certainly eat there again!

After that, we were ready to head back to Tracy and Minh’s place and to call it a day. The others were in no hurry, as their rooms at the Best Western were apparently dumpy and the pool wasn’t heated. They were in no rush to get back to their crummy rooms, so we said our goodbyes and agreed to meet up early on Friday morning for the next leg of our trip. (We were going solo again tomorrow/Thursday.)

Two last things!

#1. Tracy saw a remote control mini drone on sale at Fry’s, and Buddy wanted to get some electronic pieces for his Arduino set. And Princess wanted to find a disco ball for a project that she’s working on in the basement. So we stopped at Fry’s. It was a lot of fun exploring the giant electronics store. Way better than the Best Buy stores that we have in St. Louis. Apparently, all the Fry’s in the Bay Area have different themes. This one was decorated like an Egyptian Pyramid. Strange but cool.

#2. I HAD to visit a regular Vans store to see the Vans/Disney collaboration items on this trip. We drove right past a big shopping mall on the way back, so we decided to stop.

Some of the men’s shoes on display:

And some of the women’s shoes:

They had all sorts of Disney shoes, shirts, backpacks, hats, socks, etc. Sorry I didn’t get any photos of those.

So the question is… did we get anything? You bet!!!!

My favorite is the pair of Donald Duck shoes.

Buddy and I each got a pair of those Donald shoes. Princess got a pair of Winnie the Pooh shoes. And then I got two pairs of the Mickey Mouse slip on shoes. (I wear Vans slip ons nearly every day to work, and they usually only last about a year before I wear them out. I knew that these are limited edition, and that after I wore out a pair, I’d be kicking myself for not getting an extra pair. So I did!!!!!)

Oh, and those Star Wars shoes from the outlet store are in the following photo too!

I also got a Mickey Mouse shirt and we got some Donald Duck socks for Grandpa. We had quite the haul leaving the store. Hahaha, it's vacation after all. These can count as souvenirs, right?!?!?!

After that, it was getting late and we were all fairly tired and were ready to head back home, relax for a few minutes, and get to sleep. We were headed to the Walt Disney Family Museum in the morning and wanted to be sure that we were well rested!!!!

Last edited:
Wow, that forest looks really cool. Love the cross section showing the key periods in history - definitely can make you feel a bit small (both literally and figuratively)

Bummer about not getting into the tiki bar, but the pizza place seemed like a good alternative. I mean, pizza, beer, eating on a surf board, beer, .... what else do you need? ;)

Major score at the vans shop - and definitely a bit jealous that you can wear shoes like that to work. Love the Donald ones (though the Star Wars ones still might be my favorite just because it has like secondary/tertiary characters on in)

I got the Minnie Mouse and the Mickey Vans and the exclusive Star Wars ones from Journeys. :)

Jill in CO

Looks like you had fun with the redwoods.

I'm having fun looking at the Disney Van's. So cute! I need to find me some!!!.

Roaring Camp Railroad looks great, as well as the Henry Cowell Redwoods. Did the song "This Land is Your Land" go through your head while walking through the redwood forest?

Those Vans are awesome! I'm also jealous that you can wear those to work. I would have bought a backup pair, too. I like to keep backups on things I use often.

I've just found your TR - what an amazing journey! I hadn't heard about the Salt Flats before so that's something else on the wishlist! We'll be doing a California road trip in 2017. Could I just ask at what point your family gets fed up with packing and unpacking for a different stopover each night? (if they do!) I'm still trying to convince myself to include more stopovers in our itinerary. Looking forward to reading more - your photos are great!

Bummer about not getting into the tiki bar, but the pizza place seemed like a good alternative. I mean, pizza, beer, eating on a surf board, beer, .... what else do you need? ;)

Umm... more beer?!?!? :rotfl2:

I got the Minnie Mouse and the Mickey Vans and the exclusive Star Wars ones from Journeys. :)

Jill in CO

Cool! I hoped that one of my girls would have wanted the Minnie Mouse Vans, but they left me hanging :sad1:

The forest is beautiful. We were just looking at those shoes the other day in our local Vans. So cute.

:hippie:

Looks like you had fun with the redwoods.

I'm having fun looking at the Disney Van's. So cute! I need to find me some!!!.

Disney Vans for Disney fans!!!

I'm thinking I may have to see if I can find a pair of those in my size.

Cool! I hope you have good luck!

Roaring Camp Railroad looks great, as well as the Henry Cowell Redwoods. Did the song "This Land is Your Land" go through your head while walking through the redwood forest?

Those Vans are awesome! I'm also jealous that you can wear those to work. I would have bought a backup pair, too. I like to keep backups on things I use often.

That's funny, that song never crossed my mind when we were in the forest, but now I can't get it out of my head. LOL :rotfl2:

I've just found your TR - what an amazing journey! I hadn't heard about the Salt Flats before so that's something else on the wishlist! We'll be doing a California road trip in 2017. Could I just ask at what point your family gets fed up with packing and unpacking for a different stopover each night? (if they do!) I'm still trying to convince myself to include more stopovers in our itinerary. Looking forward to reading more - your photos are great!

Welcome!!! And happy to have you following along. You are gong to have a blast on your 2017 trip.

We never really got sick of dealing with luggage. Mostly because we never had more than three consecutive nights where we switched hotels. Having 4 nights in San Francisco, two nights Yosemite, and 5 nights Anaheim sort of eased the burden. Also, we have a pretty good system in place, where everyone has their own suitcase. And then we have a few shared bags for toiletries and stuff. We've had our mini van for about 5 years now, and I have a pretty good system for getting everything loaded just right (arranged like giant Legos.) We have a routine for how I load the van each morning while they are eating breakfast, so it just sort of works.

Not sure if that helps or not, but I'm guessing that if we had to swap hotels every single night, that we'd probably get fed up with it after 5 or 6 nights?

Day 7 - Thursday June, 18 - Walt Disney Family Museum

All right, up next is one of the things that we had most looked forward to on this trip… A visit to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

I’m sure everyone knows by now that we are not only Disneyland and Walt Disney World fans, but we are big fans of Walt Disney himself too. I loved the idea of starting this trip in Marceline with a visit to the Walt Disney Hometown Museum, then visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, then visiting Walt’s Barn in LA, and then finally Disneyland. Needless to say that this was one on the top of our “Must See” list for San Francisco and we were amped that this day finally arrived!!!

Turns out that we were the only die hard Disney fans in our group, because no one else was interested in joining us. No worries, we had planned to meet up with Tracy and Minh for dinner and we would be spending the rest of vacation with everyone else. We decided to sleep in a little to avoid some of the morning traffic. I think we arrived around 10:30 AM or so.

The museum is located in the Presidio, which is a former military base that was converted to parks and office space. It’s really, really beautiful and most of the businesses and residential areas are in old historical buildings.

It was fun winding through the roads as we made out way to museum. There was a parking lot across the street. Super convenient!

It was still fairly hazy/foggy in the morning, but you can see the bay off in the background. Such a beautiful location!

We’ve arrived!!!!

Right when you walk in the front door, you are greeted by a cut out of Walt.

We purchased our tickets, and the girls decided to take a bathroom break before we got started. I have no idea what the men’s room looked like, but I guess the ladies room made an impression on Stephanie as I found this photo on her phone. Love the hidden Mickey and the supporting splashes of red!

A few notes… I forgot to swap out memory cards in the morning and I was running out of room on my main camera, so I started to use it sparingly. Most of the pictures from the museum are from my iPhone… which doesn’t take half bad photos... but not always the best. I took hundreds of photos. In hindsight, I wish I had taken them in a more organized manner because I can’t really tell a good story with the ones that I have (at least in the sense of giving a good idea of how the place is laid out and the path you take from the museum.)

Oh well...

You start off in a sort of open area with a lot of photos and awards. (I was too busy looking at everything to remember to grab a photo showing what the room looked like.) You browse around this entry room for a while before you pass the admission area where they take your ticket. I’m not going to share everything, but a few highlights from here and there.

I thought these portraits of Sharon and Diane Disney were cool. They were done by Norman Rockwell around 1942!

In the middle of the room, they had some original furnishings from Walt’s apartment in Disneyland. Cool!

Lots of cases full of awards and trophies...

So yeah, we looked around in that area for a while, and then headed into paid part of the museum. It sort of follows Walt’s life starting from his birth in Chicago, through growing up, the army, time in KC, and then on his way to LA, his career, and his accomplishments… all the way to his passing.

You first start in a darkish room with a lot of old family photos. Some background on Walt’s parents and grandparents… where they came from. How they met. Etc...

There was some information about Walt’s early years in Chicago, and then a fair amount of back story and info on Marceline. (yahoo!)

Love this old photo of main street. Hard to believe that we stood in practically that same spot less than a week ago!

They had some audio recordings going of Walt being interviewed about Marceline in his later years. It was fun hearing him tell his stories about the barn, exploring the farm, and the family apple orchard.

And his stories about working on the Santa Fe railroad too!

Next they had an area about his time spent back in Chicago and KC. With more audio and stuff.

They had a lot of his early drawings on display too...

And then a cool section of stuff from the time he spent in France during WWI.

Here are some of the small treasures that he collected during his time overseas. Cool!

Next up, you enter a small room that focused on his early Laugh-O-Gram animations and film experimentations while he was still in Kansas City.

Then you follow him on his journey to Hollywood. Via a Santa Fe train of course. (Actually, the elevator downstairs.)

Stepping out of the elevator...

Looking down the hall, they had a lot of information about the original Alice films.

OK….. I’m running out of time for the evening and need to take care of some chores. So I’ll have to leave you here. I’m guessing that I’ll need at least three or four more of these posts before we leave the museum. Stay tuned because Oswald and Mickey are next :-)

(Things are settling down at home after a super busy couple of weeks, so hopefully, I'll be able to keep this trip report rolling with more frequent updates.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter