Other Triton ship updates?

kappaman14

Mouseketeer
Hi - sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I looked first). Is there an update on the other two Triton class ships? With Wish set to launch in June 2022, I'm wondering how delayed the other two ships are now (presuming neither order was cancelled).

Part of my question is driven by my initial reaction to the Wish. Don't get me wrong, we'll definitely want to sail sometime on the new ship. But I can't say I'm blown away thus far, and add to that the ship is destined for Nassau & Castaway Cay (instead of newer ports). I'm hoping that Disney has both enough time to react to feedback & adapt the two other ships designs, but also that the new ships won't be too far out into the future.

Thanks - is that based on the original announcement(s) or has Disney commented since the pandemic broke?

Hi - sorry if this is answered elsewhere (I looked first). Is there an update on the other two Triton class ships? With Wish set to launch in June 2022, I'm wondering how delayed the other two ships are now (presuming neither order was cancelled).

Part of my question is driven by my initial reaction to the Wish. Don't get me wrong, we'll definitely want to sail sometime on the new ship. But I can't say I'm blown away thus far, and add to that the ship is destined for Nassau & Castaway Cay (instead of newer ports). I'm hoping that Disney has both enough time to react to feedback & adapt the two other ships designs, but also that the new ships won't be too far out into the future.

I'm just taking a guess, but since all three ships are in the same class, their layout and structural design are pretty much "locked in" at this point. They might be able to slightly tweak based on feedback from the Wish, but by the time that feedback starts coming in first-hand, those ships' construction will already be in full swing again. For example, the biggest gripe I've heard of so far is about the adult pools. I seriously doubt that layout is going to change.

These ships will be kissing cousins, and I really wouldn't expect any large differences other than theme and decor. As you said, the biggest differentiator will probably be the itineraries.

Last edited:

I'm just taking a guess, but since all three ships are in the same class, their layout and structural design are pretty much "locked in" at this point. They might be able to slightly tweak based on feedback from the Wish, but by the time that feedback starts coming in first-hand, those ships' construction will already be in full swing again. For example, the biggest gripe I've heard of so far is about the adult pools. I seriously doubt that layout is going to change.

These ships will be kissing cousins, and I really wouldn't expect any large differences other than theme and decor. As you said, the biggest differentiator will probably be the itineraries.

They'll change some of the decor, change the theming on at least one of the restaurants and bars and the crowd will go crazy.

With Dream they did learn from their mistakes which ultimately made Fantasy better (and eventually Dream after dry dock) so they do solicit and evaluate feedback of guests once the ship starts sailing.

With Dream they did learn from their mistakes which ultimately made Fantasy better (and eventually Dream after dry dock) so they do solicit and evaluate feedback of guests once the ship starts sailing.
Cosmetically, yes. But whatever changes they made to the Fantasy produced one of the most flawed ships in the fleet with its engine/vibration issues. They have had a real problem filling the aft cabins on Fantasy at a comparable price in the last three cruising years.

I think it's because they don't want to do any real design changes, they have ordered the three back to back. I agree though they might take more liberty with the decor and theming - and with the third ship - after feedback.

Cosmetically, yes. But whatever changes they made to the Fantasy produced one of the most flawed ships in the fleet with its engine/vibration issues. They have had a real problem filling the aft cabins on Fantasy at a comparable price in the last three cruising years.

I think it's because they don't want to do any real design changes, they have ordered the three back to back. I agree though they might take more liberty with the decor and theming - and with the third ship - after feedback.
Apparently it was reported in multiple places that the Fantasy's drydock in Brest, France late last year was supposedly to take care of the vibration issue, they either replaced the prop and/or the entire prop shaft to eliminate the vibration. There's no reports if the repairs actually worked. But as far as soliciting guest feedback actually affecting the designs and layout of the ships, I find that highly unlikely, since most of these ships are developed over YEARS and using the "Imagineers" that they do really doesn't indicate that they really will listen to individual input about preferences or design.

Apparently it was reported in multiple places that the Fantasy's drydock in Brest, France late last year was supposedly to take care of the vibration issue, they either replaced the prop and/or the entire prop shaft to eliminate the vibration. There's no reports if the repairs actually worked. But as far as soliciting guest feedback actually affecting the designs and layout of the ships, I find that highly unlikely, since most of these ships are developed over YEARS and using the "Imagineers" that they do really doesn't indicate that they really will listen to individual input about preferences or design.

You have seen very dramatic shifts in a ships identity and offerings before in the industry (Celebrity Edge). If the feedback is overwhelming on something, there is going to be a response. If Disney gets some negative or lukewarm feedback, given their history of changes and updates on their ships, they will do something. Bad feedback on a newer ship tends to push people to the older, and usually more affordable ships.

They did make improvements to the Fantasy over the Dream and it debuted just 14 months later. Most notable was the addition of Satellite Falls which greatly increased adult pool/sun deck capacity.

Jason

They did make improvements to the Fantasy over the Dream and it debuted just 14 months later. Most notable was the addition of Satellite Falls which greatly increased adult pool/sun deck capacity.

Jason

That is true. I guess my thought is that the addition of a smallish wading pool is not going to placate the gripes people seem to have about the Wish pool layout overall.

I am sure there will be tweaks and improvements to ships 2 & 3 based on feedback from the Wish, but I doubt DCL can accommodate anything that would require major structural rearrangement of the ship. Particularly something involving reconfiguring the weight distribution of tens of thousands of gallons of water.

Bumping this, because I haven't caught anything further on ships 6 & 7 recently. Feels like we should hear something soon, right? For perspective, the Wish naming announcement was August 2019 for a January 2022 launch, and then the maiden voyage & initial itineraries were announced in April 2021 for June 2022 1st sailing (which was then pushed back).

I understand that the pandemic mucks everything up, but we knew the name of the Wish 29 months before planned sailing & knew the sailing dates/itinerary 14 months ahead of time. If ship #6 is launching in 2024, it's getting to be about time to name it, right?

My only other thought, other than the pandemic excuse, is that they may be waiting until after the 1st sailing of Wish. This gives them the PR buzz of the new ship, and then they can capitalize on that with the announcement of ship #6.

Thoughts?

Right now, all marketing is full on for the Wish, I doubt we will hear anything about #6 until the Wish has been sailing with passengers for a few months and it's PR momentum has died down.

Oh no, I am booked aft on the Fantasy. It's my first time on the ship and I already PIF. Is it really that bad?

Right now, all marketing is full on for the Wish, I doubt we will hear anything about #6 until the Wish has been sailing with passengers for a few months and it's PR momentum has died down.
Agreed... wondering if they might leverage D23 Expo for an announcement... or maybe wait until next year's investor day...

Agreed... wondering if they might leverage D23 Expo for an announcement... or maybe wait until next year's investor day...
I think if the Wish was not pushed back, we would have gotten the name of the next one at the Expo, but still possible. Investor day is good unless they come up with a need for an announcement to generate positive PR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!