Other than Disney...

I like the caribbean..... I LOVE Phoenix and Sedona area..... grand Canyon..... pretty much anywhere if it's free! We've gone To Salt Lake City(yellowstone , Natl Parks in Utah) Phoenix (Grand Canyon) LA (disneyland etc) Seattle (Alaskan cruise) Puerto Rico (beaches!) Las Vegas (hub to get to Zion etc) and of course Florida.....

Thank you all for the responses! We just completed the necessary spending to get the SW Companion Pass, so we have the points and the pass and essentially the next 16 months to travel the US compliments of SW. I was looking for people's favorites, to help me decide on some new places. This last two years we've done NYC, Vegas/Zion, Denver/Rocky Mtn NP and Portland. So I'm thinking of going somewhere different in the NE (Maine? Upstate NY? DC?) or maybe California (San Diego? San Francisco?). The amazing thing is that we're just limited by work schedules, but I figure we can manage a long, 3-4 day weekend roughly each 6 weeks. So I've got a blank page and you guys have given me some great ideas to consider. Please - tell me more about your favorite places!

If you want to come to Maine/New England, SW flies into Manchester, NH and Portland, ME. Also Hartford, CT, but you won't get the "Maine" experience unless you are willing to drive a bit further.

When we did DC we flew into BWI as it was more affordable than DCA, but when we continued on to Orlando, it was "cheaper" to fly from DCA. All being paid via rapid rewards points and the companion pass, or course!

Have you considered New Orleans or San Francisco?

As far as I know, Southwest does not fly to Hawaii or that'd have been my first choice. They actually do fly to Mexico and the Caribbean.
I fly Southwest quite a bit for work. I spoke to a flight attendant last week and she said they're currently working on a deal with Hawaiian airports! This really got me excited!

You can also fly into Buffalo and go to Niagara Falls. I also had to go from Albany, NY to Hartford, CT for work once. It was a beautiful ride through the mountains in the fall. CT had a bunch of little wineries with some good wine.

I fly Southwest quite a bit for work. I spoke to a flight attendant last week and she said they're currently working on a deal with Hawaiian airports! This really got me excited!

Hawaii isn't a Southwest destination yet-though they are working to make that happen in the next few years.

I have heard it for many years myself, but waiting still :rolleyes1 I also heard that flight prices are supposed to go down in general to Hawaii as they plan to expand their flight schedules... I am waiting patiently as I'd love to visit Aulani :o It's very difficult to find flights roundtrip from LAX or San Diego for under $600 (I'm in Orange County but would be willing to drive the extra 30 minutes each way to SD if it meant a considerably cheaper flight than LAX) so WDW and Disney Cruises are bigger draws for us with flights half the cost.

Aruba. I have flights for February to get away from the Minnesota winter. Now I just need a place to stay:crazy2: At least if that becomes impossible Southwest has no change fees.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone mentioned Aruba. We have flown SW three times to Aruba and it has been fantastic! They are out of the hurricane belt also.

It really depends on what type of experience you want. There are two sections we have stayed at: Palm Beach and the condo section known as the low rise section. We prefer the condo section as it is quieter with fewer people on the beach. There are also waves which my kids enjoy. The Palm Beach area (high rise area) is great too but it would be more like Florida with hotels, many restaurants, shopping etc.. It is really where a lot of the action is and would not require a rental car as you can walk to the many restaurants in the area. The water is also calm. Honestly, you can't go wrong in either section as the people are happy, helpful, and kind. It's just a matter of personal preference. It is also possible to stay in the downtown area (Oranjestad) which also has shopping and restaurants (easily walkable) but no hotels actually on a swimmable section of the ocean. The Ren has a boat that comes right into the lobby to take you to their private island which is pretty cool.

Anyway, we adore Aruba and find that it is an island that meets so many people's needs. We enjoy visiting the wild side of the National Park. It is truly beautiful. There is so much to do or you can do absolutely nothing but enjoy the beautiful beaches.

We stay Divi but I'm fairly knowledgeable on many of the properties if you want to PM anytime.

I'd fly to Seattle and take the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver. It's a beautiful 4 hour train ride along the pacific coast for 4 hours and costs about $20. Vancouver is beautiful and there's lots to do! Have fun no matter where you choose! We love the companion pass. This is our 4th year having it and it encourages us to travel a lot.

I'd fly to Seattle and take the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver. It's a beautiful 4 hour train ride along the pacific coast for 4 hours and costs about $20. Vancouver is beautiful and there's lots to do! Have fun no matter where you choose! We love the companion pass. This is our 4th year having it and it encourages us to travel a lot.

Thank you for this info - I was hoping to get specific ideas of new things to try and this train trip sounds great! What other awesome things have you found in your travels? With 4 yrs of having CP, about how many trips have you taken? Where else have you gone?

Thank you for this info - I was hoping to get specific ideas of new things to try and this train trip sounds great! What other awesome things have you found in your travels? With 4 yrs of having CP, about how many trips have you taken? Where else have you gone?

Well, we've done waaayy too many long weekend trips to Orlando, but we try to do 1-2 new places a year. We stayed at Cedarbrook Lodge in Seattle and it was amazing. It was cheap, beautiful and had free, unlimited Haagen Das ice cream in the lobby.

We went to Chicago for a long weekend and loved the double decker bus tour (and used that for getting around the city). We stayed outside the city, Ubered into the city for the day, and would Uber out in the evening.

We flew to Denver and rented a car to drive to Steamboat Springs in the fall/winter. The 3 hour car ride was absolutely gorgeous. We own a timeshare at Wyndham (that we bought for next to nothing off EBay) so we try to use that when we can. We stayed at the Wyndham Steamboat Springs and visited the hot springs, the downtown area, and ate lots of green chili lol.

We flew into Birmingham, AL and drove 4 hours to Destin, FL for a week (stayed at the Wyndham Majestic Sun). We did a day trip to New Orleans, hung out at the beach, drove up to the Blackwater River Canoe company (50 min. drive) in Alabama and did a 3-4 hour kayak trip down a crystal clear river, and ate a lot of donuts at the Donut Hole in Destin.

We flew to Houston and did a long weekend with family before driving to Galveston and going on a cruise. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Houston, which was really nice. The Funeral Museum in Houston is very interesting and educational (and not creepy at all).

We've flown to Vegas a few times (my husband loves to gamble) and we usually meet up with family/friends so he can gamble with the guys and I can see the shows with the girls.

We flew into Tampa and rented a house in Dunedin. We went on a boat/paddle board tour in Clearwater, drove to Weeki Wachee and did an amazing kayak tour (saw otter, manatee, and fish/turtles), spent a day in Tarpon Springs watching the sponge boats come in, drove to Crystal River and swam with the manatees and spent the day at Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Hope that helps! I don't know if we'll qualify next year (we're cutting it close), but we've definitely had a blast!

Last edited:
SW doesn't fly to Hawaii unfortunately. They do fly to Cancun and Cabo and some of the Caribbean islands.

To answer the OP I would say Chicago or Seattle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter