OT: Potty Training/we started

:rotfl2: AWM- I love that pic!!

For DS20, I used a kitchen timer...bell rang and we ran... It worked for him, but I worried that every time he heard a kitchen timer, he would have to pee...

DS16, nope, nothin worked. Then one day he just said "I have to go potty" and that was it. He was almost 4, and I was sure he was going to be the kid that broke the old "He won't go to kindergarten in diapers" rule.

Oh, and the time he picked? A couple of days before we were going camping. Talk about inconvinent! In a pop up, and you hear "I have to go potty" and then you run a few sites down to the potty...ugh!

Good luck! :)

I worked in a daycare for 4 years and all of "our" kids needed to be potty trained before age three. They moved into preschool at 3 and no diapers were allowed in the the preschool classroom. For the more resistant kids we used the blanket method, similar to what was suggested above. He would have to sit on a waterproof blanket all day. When he pottied on the potty he got 1 hour (we actually had an alarm clock set for 60 minutes) to play where ever he wanted and then back to the blanket when the alarm rang. Even the most resistant kid got the hint within a day or two as long as the teachers were consistent, that in order to have freedom you have to use the potty. Your big issue with a smart kid is the control factor. Our "blanket kids" were perfectly potty trained at "school" but needed diapers at home since mom and dad did not require the use of the potty. Most of the parents were baffled when we told them their child was toilet trained at school.
If you really have an issue though, have him checked out. Some kids physically mature slower and cant hold it for long, so potty training is harder.

I worked in a daycare for 4 years and all of "our" kids needed to be potty trained before age three. They moved into preschool at 3 and no diapers were allowed in the the preschool classroom. For the more resistant kids we used the blanket method, similar to what was suggested above. He would have to sit on a waterproof blanket all day. When he pottied on the potty he got 1 hour (we actually had an alarm clock set for 60 minutes) to play where ever he wanted and then back to the blanket when the alarm rang. Even the most resistant kid got the hint within a day or two as long as the teachers were consistent, that in order to have freedom you have to use the potty. Your big issue with a smart kid is the control factor. Our "blanket kids" were perfectly potty trained at "school" but needed diapers at home since mom and dad did not require the use of the potty. Most of the parents were baffled when we told them their child was toilet trained at school.
If you really have an issue though, have him checked out. Some kids physically mature slower and cant hold it for long, so potty training is harder.

Well, I can see how that would work at school. It would work at home too, if I had the will! I don't think we are far enough along to determine if he has an issue.

But, DON'T give him the stickers -

A1010148.jpg

:rotfl2: I :love: that picture!!!! :rotfl2:

AWM- love your picture.

Susan if you find the secret let me know. My nephew just turned 4 and will have nothing to do with using the potty. I think consistancy on the method is the key but I haven't ever had him long enough to try. You would think with 3 in diapers (she has a 2.5 and 9 month too) she would just make him sit on the toilet all day and go but I haven't had to try myself.

Rebecca

AWM- love your picture.

Susan if you find the secret let me know. My nephew just turned 4 and will have nothing to do with using the potty. I think consistancy on the method is the key but I haven't ever had him long enough to try. You would think with 3 in diapers (she has a 2.5 and 9 month too) she would just make him sit on the toilet all day and go but I haven't had to try myself.

Rebecca

Well, I can see how that would work at school. It would work at home too, if I had the will! I don't think we are far enough along to determine if he has an issue.

You mean you don't have the time to keep putting him back on that blanket! What a bad mommy! :laughing: ;)

If you find the secret, publish a book. You'll be rich!

Good luck!

You are all so supportive I feel bad I didn't start today. Hmmm...10 minute updates tomorrow:scared1:

Ahhhh!!!! I woke up an hour late. Little guy's bed is soaking wet.:scared1: But the underwear is on and we have had one successful potty trip! Now, do we go back in 10 minutes even when we have success?

and DH is not home, so wish me luck on the school drop off.

:banana: :banana: Doing Great!!! :banana: :banana:

Obviously if he has had 3 successful trips this morning you know to go back every 10 minutes either way.

Rebecca

YIPPEE!!!!!!!! i'm so happy!!!!! moving on up to the big boy status!!!!!!:dance3: :yay: :woohoo: :banana: :cool1: :cheer2:

:sad1: Going to school. Who said anything about going to school? Doesn't he want to be a big boy at home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter