Opinions on buying Polynesian resale now?

This was our EXACT train of thought!!! We are currently 16 days into the ROFR waiting game for Poly. We, too, have two littles who love the pool (and I love being on the monorail in light of their age). My husband was really only interested in buying at Poly, which is fine with me because it’s my favorite resort. Gives me all the feels (castle views, tranquil music, lapu lapu in hand… heavenly.). We didn’t want to wait to find out about Poly 2 either, although I completely get why some people want to hold off. For us, if it’s part of the same association then that’s just icing on the cake. If it’s not, we will still be perfectly happy with OG Poly since studios fit our family just fine right now and I, too, had the same thought that if our needs or wants change, at least now we will be able to buy direct with the existing member incentives. Congratulations on your new contract! :)
This is us too! EXACTLY!
Today is day 15 for us!

This was our EXACT train of thought!!! We are currently 16 days into the ROFR waiting game for Poly. We, too, have two littles who love the pool (and I love being on the monorail in light of their age). My husband was really only interested in buying at Poly, which is fine with me because it’s my favorite resort. Gives me all the feels (castle views, tranquil music, lapu lapu in hand… heavenly.). We didn’t want to wait to find out about Poly 2 either, although I completely get why some people want to hold off. For us, if it’s part of the same association then that’s just icing on the cake. If it’s not, we will still be perfectly happy with OG Poly since studios fit our family just fine right now and I, too, had the same thought that if our needs or wants change, at least now we will be able to buy direct with the existing member incentives. Congratulations on your new contract! :)
Thank you and congratulations on your contract! I hope you hear some good news soon. 😊 My ROFR was 25 days.

I have some Poly points now and don't use them at the Poly. The room sizes don't work for me and i still don't know if the new building will get a grand villa.
BUT, I think with the recent direct price increases announced that i will buy resale at Copper Creek. Great room choices - i love the cabins - and expiration is 2068

If you want to buy, then now is always the best time to buy! :)

However, if you are concerned about value, then PVB resale prices have started to inch down, dropping about $15pp since last summer's peak. We've been watch PVB resales for a few months now, thinking that's where we want to buy next. Resale inventories continue to grow, there's much financial uncertainty in the general real estate market, and no one is sure what's going to happen with Poly Tower. DVC currently is selling direct at 3 resorts, reminding us of the last DVC resale crash in 2010. (SSR treehouse villas, BLT, and Kidani were all being sold in 2009.)

For these reasons, we've decided not to buy at PVB at this time. But we will jump in if we see an appreciable decline.

There's a lot of talk about the potential for downward pressure on Poly1 resale prices if the new tower is in a new association. But the relevant comparison is whether the Poly1 resale takes a greater hit from inability to stay in the new tower VERSUS the hit taken upfront by Poly2 resale for the plain fact that those points upon reselling will only be usable at the one resort (i.e. Poly tower). That's an awfully limited deal to be had by the buyer -- not only confined to one resort, but to just one part of one resort (if I'm understanding this all correctly).
Plenty of buyers, IMO, won’t care about resale restrictions enough to not buy it, assuming it is a new associaiton.

Unliked Rivera, the one thing I would point about the new Poly tower is that they're building it to provide larger units to DVC members at the Polynesian Resort. The tower was part of the original DVC concept. It just never got built.

The room configuration of Poly 2 may be heavily weighted toward larger units including more dedicated 2-bedroom units and grand villas. Both of these types of units are likely going to come with sweeping views of Seven Seas Lagoon and fireworks (so, another point premium).

If that turns out to be the case, I would be very hesitant to purchase a restricted resale Poly 2 tower contract. I feel like if you were going to purchase a restricted resale contract, Rivera is a much more balanced resort to own.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 6.23.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 6.23.15 PM.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Unliked Rivera, the one thing I would point about the new Poly tower is that they're building it to provide larger units to DVC members at the Polynesian Resort. The tower was part of the original DVC concept. It just never got built.

The room configuration of Poly 2 may be heavily weighted toward larger units including more dedicated 2-bedroom units and grand villas. Both of these types of units are likely going to come with sweeping views of Seven Seas Lagoon and fireworks (so, another point premium).

If that turns out to be the case, I would be very hesitant to purchase a restricted resale Poly 2 tower contract. I feel like if you were going to purchase a restricted resale contract, Rivera is a much more balanced resort to own.
I didn’t realize the tower was part of the original plans but never got built— that seems to be a +1 in the “same association” possibility column.

I didn’t realize the tower was part of the original plans but never got built— that seems to be a +1 in the “same association” possibility column.

Yeah there was supposed to be two DVC towers, but they gutted and reused the longhouses instead. What is now the upcoming Poly 2 tower was going to the first to open, followed by another tower where the current DVC buildings are now. There were also going to be a ton more bungalows on the other side. However, plans changed.

The Polynesian Resort, while it doesn't look like it, is massive. It has over 800+ rooms. They had trouble filling those rooms and needed to offload some to DVC (Sound familiar?).

Disney also acquired Lucasfilm the same year as Poly DVC was being approved, it was rumored that once they knew they were going to invest $1+ billion into the parks for Star Wars Land they reworked their resort development plans companywide and Poly DVC got budget cut. There was also quite a bit of backlash against DVC coming to the Polynesian at the time.

We can't even blame Chapek. He wasn't there yet, this was Tom Staggs.

Last edited:

But we do not know if the tower is being built to give current Poly owners more options and that is an important element.

I know that they considered this years ago but that was before they decided to differentiate where points can be used and have a resale restricted resort.

I just think that restrictions at an MK resort might not get the same resistance that some have against RIV.

Obviously, I have no issue with restrictions as I own direct and resale RIV.

But, given that studios at Poly are fairly easy at 7 months, owners of Poly tower may be okay to have less studio there and take chances to get current rooms when they can trade into the current PVB.

ETA. I still think if it was going to be the same for sure, we’d know. The move with TOTWL means they still want resale to have less than direct, so it definitely keeps this being a new association a real possibility.

Last edited:
But we do not know if the tower is being built to give current Poly owners more options and that is an important element.

Oh, I agree about current owners. DVD will do whatever makes the most sense for them financially. It could go either way.

However, I don't think there's much doubt that the reason they are even building the new tower is because of the lack of larger units at PVB1 or even the hotel side. There's very little chance that this new building is studio heavy. They already have that covered. It will have to have some sure because of lock-offs, but this is going to be primarily a 1, 2 and 3 bedroom building with a sprinkle of tower studios thrown in.

Needing larger units at Polynesian Resort has little to do with appeasing current owners. They're building this tower because that's premium property and even if it takes years to sell out, they can rent out the rooms at exhorbement prices and have owners help finance their construction.

I would just pointing out that if Poly 2 is a new association, I would be more hesitant to purchase it via resale than Riviera. Riviera, for all the complaining, is fairly well configured. I could argue with the premium vs. standard views, but that's another topic.

Oh, I agree about current owners. DVD will do whatever makes the most sense for them financially. It could go either way.

However, I don't think there's much doubt that the reason they are even building the new tower is because of the lack of larger units at PVB1 or even the hotel side. There's very little chance that this new building is studio heavy. They already have that covered. It will have to have some sure because of lock-offs, but this is going to be primarily a 1, 2 and 3 bedroom building with a sprinkle of tower studios thrown in.

Needing larger units at Polynesian Resort has little to do with appeasing current owners. They're building this tower because that's premium property and even if it takes years to sell out, they can rent out the rooms at exhorbement prices.

I would just pointing out that if Poly 2 is a new association, I would be more hesitant to purchase it via resale than Riviera. Riviera, for all the complaining, is fairly well configured. I could argue with the premium vs. standard views, but that's another topic.

Got it. Yeah. It makes prefect sense to have chosen that so the location has a full compliment of DVC options.

I think that is why they went this route instead of going back to Reflections as an option.

And now I get what you mean about resale. If you have to be stuck at one resort, RIV could offer more balance than Poly tower if they don’t add a typical number of studios there,

But they could do a lot of lock offs which could keep in more in balance then we think at this point.

If you plan to hold, at least for a while. VGF2 priced under VGF1 ROFR pricing in recent months, which was crazy. I think it will come back, but for now there are definitely people waiting to sell. Poly2 pricing low could stick you with this for a while.

I think now is an awesome time to buy. Buy loaded, take your time. Lots on the market, lots of uncertainty. That should be in your favor.

Thanks for the replies and opinions.
the day I started the thread I was eyeing a small contract with $159 price but it was gone within a couple of hours. After you wonderful people confirming I was not crazy I decided to start offering $150 on some contracts and not surprising had no one accept my offer but yesterday evening I made $150 offer on a $169 75 point contract and was shock to get a reply an hour ago that the seller had accepted 🥳🥳
thanks again for the replies and opinions.
hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend.

So if I could get another 75 point contract for $150 a point is that too Good a price to pass up for Polynesian?

This is us too! EXACTLY!
Today is day 15 for us!
Day 19 for us. Had one pass ROFR last month and then find out seller didn’t disclose a January reservation and can’t close until after- so we had to cancel and start over. I think I am the only one hoping this is 2 separate associations. We love the poly now and want nothing to do with the new tower. Don’t want to share points with all the new sales. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If I had the spare change right now I would have zero hesitancy in buying yet another Poly contract. We currently have multiple small contracts there, bought both direct and resale, and it is by far my wife's favourite resort.

Our kids are now 16 and 13 but quite tall so we now typically stay in 2 bdrm accommodations when possible so each kid gets a bed however we love staying at the Poly in 2 studios and never want for space. It would be nice to have a full sized refrigerator or a laundry machine like we get in 2 bdrm units but the cost of 2 studios is generally cheaper than a 2 bdrm anywhere else on the monorail loop so we find it a bit of a bargain, especially since most times the units are adjoining.

For quick long weekend / race weekend trips, we find the size of a single Poly studio to fit the 4 of us just fine since we most only have carry-on luggage with us. The new murphy bed has been a game changer re: sleeping comfort and the pools / vibe at The Poly just can't be beat (for us).

Enjoy your new purchase!

We have two 75 point contracts in rofr right now so hoping they pass. Just my wife and I so studios are fine with us and can’t beat watching fireworks every night from the balcony of a lake view room in Moorea building.The boat horn can be annoying some but after a few hours you get use to it. If the new tower is different association and we like it might get some points there but we are happy having the original Polynesian (assuming the two contracts pass) to add to our boardwalk and riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter