Only one lens: what would it be?

It makes a big difference. With the 24, I can take a picture of someone sitting right beside me. With the 50, I'd have to be backing up all the time. I also have a crop sensor.

This is a picture of my daughter at Cinderella's Royal Table. We were at a very tiny table for 2 and she was sitting right across from me. I didn't have to back up or anything.
View attachment 222597

CRT is fairly crowded, but I was able to get both my daughter and princesses in the shots standing right next to me. I was back in a corner so no room for backing up.
View attachment 222599

Hope that helps!! :)

i also like that focal length on a crop sensor. Full-frame equivalent of about 35mm. I used my 24mm 1.8 extensively on my last visit to WDW.

It's what I would bring!! I Zoom in and out with my feet, and it allows for dark ride photography.

You must have better luck at zooming with your feet at Disney than I do. Every time I try to do that, there are people in the way!

And you didn't say, are you shooting full frame or crop?

You must have better luck at zooming with your feet at Disney than I do. Every time I try to do that, there are people in the way!

And you didn't say, are you shooting full frame or crop?

I was answering the question originally posed. Gun to my head, one lens, I want a fastest prime I can afford.

As far as what I shoot...
I personally never go to the parks without 2 DSLR's and 4 lenses. But that wasn't the question that was posed.

Canon 6D
Canon 70D
17-40 F4L
50 F1.4
24-105 F4L IS
70-200 F4L IS

I do have a 50 and I like it enough. It's just not versatile enough on the crop body but I see why it is desirable and I do use it at Disney quite a bit when I can back up enough.

One that I recently picked up for fun (and not terribly expensive) is the 40mm pancake lens. Very small/lightweight with fast focus. Not too fast, so you may still need the flash. The weight factor is nice for not causing fatigue from carrying. If you search for my earlier posts, I did one from the first time I took it and included some images.

One that I recently picked up for fun (and not terribly expensive) is the 40mm pancake lens. Very small/lightweight with fast focus. Not too fast, so you may still need the flash. The weight factor is nice for not causing fatigue from carrying. If you search for my earlier posts, I did one from the first time I took it and included some images.

the 40mm pancake is good, the 22mm f/2 pancake is fantastic
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

But isn't that lens only good for the M series cameras? I think the OP had a DSLR with a crop sensor, if I'm not mistaken.

+1 for 35mm FF equivalent here - I shoot Fujifilm and 80% of my pictures are taken with their 23mm f/1.4, or more recently the X100F which is also a 23mm lens (but f/2.0), both give 35mm FF equivalent. While I'm not familiar with Canon's primes, I'd say that kind of focal length is great for every day use. Here's a few from a family trip to DLP 2 weeks ago, all taken with the X100F in addition to those that jvz82 has shown to help give an idea for the look and versatility of this focal length. (all shrunk down a bit to help with uploading) A huge plus is that the second picture was taken in It's a Small World and the third was on the magic carpets - it's very handy to be able to shoot up close with this focal length.
DLP-072.jpg DLP-102.jpg DLP-117.jpg DLP-104.jpg DLP-134.jpg DLP-138.jpg

DLP-179.jpg

DLP-217.jpg

DLP-077.jpg

...and having finished writing this I've just realised that the OP was looking for help a couple of months back - nonetheless, I'll leave this here in case it perhaps helps someone else!

After some research I decided to rent a lens that Tom Bricker goes on a bout for Disney photography..The sigma 18-35 1.8 ART lens. I rented so it was not a huge investment and I get to try a great lens I have never used before. I will report back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter