One night at Aulani....

travelbel

Mouseketeer
We've got one night at Aulani... kids are upper teens, they actually said they only wanted to stay one night because they didn't really care, just wanted a taste of Aulani.

What do you suggest for one day? Luau is sold out, we're doing that somewhere else. Don't plan on doing any formal dinner, just quick service.

Activities to not miss?

We did that last April. My kids hadn’t been and wanted to check it out. It was a last minute trip and that was all I could reserve there. It was fine though, allowed them to check it out. They did the lazy river and slides , had a bunch of Mickey shaped frozen treats and decided that was enough. I think it’s probably more fun for little kids

I went for the first time with my then 16 year old and we stayed 2 weeks. Her favorites where renting the stand up paddle board for the lagoon, lazy river, sunbathing, arts and crafts in the community room, Ukulele lessons, and just enjoying the water. I think that your kids will fall in love and regret only staying one night.

I would just relax at the pool and enjoy the lazy river, slides and hot tubs. It's great resort day. We loved Aulani but our boys are now teens too (13 and 15) and last time we went they decided they'd rather stay elsewhere as they prefer adventuring outside the resort (hiking, snorkeling, food trucks, better beaches). Ko Olina is not the greatest location for that and the resort doesn't hold the same attraction for teens as for little kids. They have actually requested Maui only for our next trip and we're all in agreement on that.

We've got one night at Aulani... kids are upper teens, they actually said they only wanted to stay one night because they didn't really care, just wanted a taste of Aulani.

What do you suggest for one day? Luau is sold out, we're doing that somewhere else. Don't plan on doing any formal dinner, just quick service.

Activities to not miss?
I suggest taking the guided tour of Aulani, it's a great lesson on Oahu!

I would just relax at the pool and enjoy the lazy river, slides and hot tubs. It's great resort day. We loved Aulani but our boys are now teens too (13 and 15) and last time we went they decided they'd rather stay elsewhere as they prefer adventuring outside the resort (hiking, snorkeling, food trucks, better beaches). Ko Olina is not the greatest location for that and the resort doesn't hold the same attraction for teens as for little kids. They have actually requested Maui only for our next trip and we're all in agreement on that.
It takes almost the exact same amount of time to get to the N Shore from Aulani as it does from Waikiki. Driving is just in the nature of a Hawaiian vacation. IDK why people have this mentality that you can't leave Aulani but have no problems going out and about from other resorts.

It takes almost the exact same amount of time to get to the N Shore from Aulani as it does from Waikiki. Driving is just in the nature of a Hawaiian vacation. IDK why people have this mentality that you can't leave Aulani but have no problems going out and about from other resorts.
You can definitely use Aulani as your base of operations, just like any other hotel. But for anything other than the North Shore, Aulani is farther away, and much more expensive than the alternates. For anyone who isn’t planning on hanging out at the resort, I definitely wouldn’t recommend Aulani as a first choice.

There’s a lot more to Oahu than the North Shore. 👍

You can definitely use Aulani as your base of operations, just like any other hotel. But for anything other than the North Shore, Aulani is farther away, and much more expensive than the alternates. For anyone who isn’t planning on hanging out at the resort, I definitely wouldn’t recommend Aulani as a first choice.

There’s a lot more to Oahu than the North Shore. 👍
Personally, in terms of design, facilities, nice beaches (love the lagoons), food choices, and a sense of total escape, I think Aulani is the best hotel on Oahu. Most of the Waikiki hotels seem old and dated, and swarming with tourists.

Personally, in terms of design, facilities, nice beaches (love the lagoons), food choices, and a sense of total escape, I think Aulani is the best hotel on Oahu. Most of the Waikiki hotels seem old and dated, and swarming with tourists.
This is what we thought also. So many of the hotels in Waikiki had a bunch of people walking through them to check them out. They just don't seem to have the same relaxing vibe as Aulani does. Don't get me wrong, we love spending a few nights in Waikiki mainly to be able to walk around and enjoy the shopping and dining, but the bulk of our stay is at Aulani and we do all of our touring from there. People who say that Waikiki is closer just assume that without actually looking at the drive times. They might look closer on the map, but with the way the Island roads are laid, and traffic, the drive times are nearly identical to both the N Shore and Kualoa Ranch(and everything in that area), the 2 most popular destinations. I think that people just keep spitting out that misconception without actually doing the research on it.

This is what we thought also. So many of the hotels in Waikiki had a bunch of people walking through them to check them out. They just don't seem to have the same relaxing vibe as Aulani does. Don't get me wrong, we love spending a few nights in Waikiki mainly to be able to walk around and enjoy the shopping and dining, but the bulk of our stay is at Aulani and we do all of our touring from there. People who say that Waikiki is closer just assume that without actually looking at the drive times. They might look closer on the map, but with the way the Island roads are laid, and traffic, the drive times are nearly identical to both the N Shore and Kualoa Ranch(and everything in that area), the 2 most popular destinations. I think that people just keep spitting out that misconception without actually doing the research on it.
Agreed! I can’t think of any hotels in Oahu built from the ground up since Aulani opened, either. We love Waikiki as well, but far prefer staying at Aulani. Even though we rent a car for our full stay, which is about two weeks twice a year, we find we use it less and less as the days go by, and don’t want to do much other than enjoy everything we can do on property.

N Shore and Kualoa Ranch(and everything in that area), the 2 most popular destinations.
Hmmm…. I would think that Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Bishop Museum, Ala Moana Mall, the Punchbowl, Moana Falls, and some others are pretty popular as well, and they’re Much closer to the Waikiki area. I’m definitely not just regurgitating information without research - I’m pretty familiar with Oahu 😉. (Also, Kualoa Ranch is definitely closer to Waikiki, although drive-time wise, it’s only a little shorter).

Like I said - for anyone using the hotel as a base of operations, paying 2x for Aulani may not be worth it. If money’s not a concern - good for you! And sure, Aulani is a better resort. But if money matters, paying half as much in other areas still gets you a wonderful room, closer to many, many other popular attractions. Or, you can spend the same amount, and stay at places that are different, but maybe better in other ways. (Halekulani and Kahala Resort come to mind).

Activities to not miss?
If I had only one night, I would just enjoy the hotel.

Check out my Maui thread if you haven’t been before! Just back and posting our favorite activities from this trip!

Hmmm…. I would think that Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Bishop Museum, Ala Moana Mall, the Punchbowl, Moana Falls, and some others are pretty popular as well, and they’re Much closer to the Waikiki area. I’m definitely not just regurgitating information without research - I’m pretty familiar with Oahu 😉. (Also, Kualoa Ranch is definitely closer to Waikiki, although drive-time wise, it’s only a little shorter).

Like I said - for anyone using the hotel as a base of operations, paying 2x for Aulani may not be worth it. If money’s not a concern - good for you! And sure, Aulani is a better resort. But if money matters, paying half as much in other areas still gets you a wonderful room, closer to many, many other popular attractions. Or, you can spend the same amount, and stay at places that are different, but maybe better in other ways. (Halekulani and Kahala Resort come to mind).
I clearly said that those 2 were 2 of the most popular. In the groups about Aulani that I am a part of, those are the top 2 that people always ask about. I don't think that one person has even mentioned the Ala Moana mall as a place that they wanted to go to. And I also said that they look closer on the map, but the drive times are about the same, which you agreed with me on. So I don't know what your argument is. Is that 10 extra minutes driving from Aulani really that big of a deal to you? Because that seems like such and inconsequential amount of time for it to even be a thought to anyone.

And I don't understand your "I'm paying more for Aulani, so I can't leave" argument either. Because we were not discussing Aulani being out of someone's price range. There are plenty of hotels on Oahu that cost around the same as Aulani, but nobody says that they are planning on never leaving the hotel. That is like staying at the Contemporary(which is the same price as Aulani) and not going to the parks because the hotel costs so much money. I am not saying that you can't have a great time just at the resort, I am saying that just because there are cheaper hotels on the Island, doesn't mean that you should just sit at Aulani and not explore. Why is doing anything on your vacation contingent to how much you paid for your room? Nobody thinks that way about any other hotel in the world except for Aulani for some reason. Explain that to me why.

I clearly said that those 2 were 2 of the most popular.
Actually, you clearly said something different…

the 2 most popular destinations
I was only reacting to what you wrote. Sorry!

Although no one talks about things like Ala Moana, In my experience, more people go to Ala Moana on their Oahu trip, than to any other location. People who go for multiple trips may go to the North Shore or Kualoa Ranch, or Diamond Head once, but they’ve probably stopped at that mall on most every trip. They probably don’t discuss it on forums though.

And I don't understand your "I'm paying more for Aulani, so I can't leave" argument either.

Can’t think of any time I said anything like that. I only said that if someone’s not planning on hanging out at the resort, it may not make sense to pay 2x for Aulani. Oakleycat indicated her family wasn’t really into hanging out at the resort, and you were saying her statement didn’t make sense, when in fact, it does for most things people do other than the North Shore, and hanging out at the resort.

Last edited:
Can’t think of any time I said anything like that. I only said that if someone’s not planning on hanging out at the resort, it may not make sense to pay 2x for Aulani. Oakleycat indicated her family wasn’t really into hanging out at the resort, and you were saying her statement didn’t make sense, when in fact, it does for most things people do other than the North Shore, and hanging out at the resort.
Here is why this makes zero sense. What does the amount of money that you are paying have to do with whether or not you leave the hotel to do something? Nobody every thinks that way at any other hotel on the planet, other then Aulani. If you are paying an arm and a leg in a hotel in Paris, are you just not going to go see the Eiffel Tower because your hotel was expensive? People pay the same amount at the deluxe hotels at WDW, and not one person tells them to "just stay at a cheaper hotel" or "you paid so much money, don't leave the resort", if they are planning on going to the parks. So why are you saying that specifically for Aulani only?

Here is why this makes zero sense. What does the amount of money that you are paying have to do with whether or not you leave the hotel to do something? Nobody every thinks that way at any other hotel on the planet, other then Aulani. If you are paying an arm and a leg in a hotel in Paris, are you just not going to go see the Eiffel Tower because your hotel was expensive? People pay the same amount at the deluxe hotels at WDW, and not one person tells them to "just stay at a cheaper hotel" or "you paid so much money, don't leave the resort", if they are planning on going to the parks. So why are you saying that specifically for Aulani only?
I never once said you shouldn’t leave a hotel because of what you paid. You’re working yourself up for the wrong reason. I did say that if you’re not going to use the amenities, there may be better options.

I also am not saying this is for Aulani only, and I never indicated that was the case. Some (fortunate) people don’t need to worry about resource allocation, but most of us do. When staying at a hotel, I’m sure 90% of the people consider “is it worth what I’m spending”

At Aulani, you’re paying a lot extra for the resort amenities. If you’re not spending as much time at the resort, the value proposition is smaller. So if you’re just using your hotel as a “base of operations” for exploring the island, why pay extra for the resort amenities, when you can stay somewhere with better service, or nicer restaurants, or an (arguably) better location, for the same amount or less?

You say no one does this at WDW, and that’s a silly argument. People all the time say “if you’re going to do a resort day, then...” Obviously the pools and water slides add value and cost to specific resorts, but if you’re not going to spend any time at the pool, it adds less value than a better location, nicer rooms, or better restaurants.

If none of this makes sense to you, then there’s really no need for further discussion.

One night at Aulani and what to do, that was your post right? I am doing two nights before a cruise and can’t wait to take in all the hotel has to offer with a Pearl Harbor visit as our only offsite activity.

Pearl Harbor too... and the Airport... and the Windward side of the island... and...

Seriously, the fun stuff to do on Oahu is arranged around the island like a donut. There's nothing that's close to everything, so unless you want to spend a ton of time on Waikiki or in Honolulu proper (why?), Aulani is no less convenient than anywhere else.

Ilysm

At Aulani, you’re paying a lot extra for the resort amenities.
No, I'm paying a lot extra because the resort looks like this.

1656078634701.png

And not like this.

1656078671472.png

When I go to Hawaii, it's not to immerse myself in urban poverty and rectangular high-rises. I can do that in Miami (with a lot less urban poverty), and my kiester thanks me for the 3 hour flight rather than the 11 hour flight.

"Amenities" never factor into it for a single second. It's a look/feel/immersion thing. It's not a math problem, it's a psychology problem. I don't care if some resort on Waikiki beach has higher thread count sheets of a Michelin-star chef.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter