Once Upon A Dream Come True: Disneyland and the Walt Disney Studios February 2008

It wasn't until I asked Cindy about the terms that I knew what they meant either. I figured that I should know what these terms mean since I was now doing more than just admiring fine art. :rotfl: Better to be an educated consumer than an uneducated one.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out why the lower numbers are more sought after. I was told it was because the lower numbers were printed first, so their quality was better, but that was apparently back in the "old days" of fine art. Not that I mind much. I'm just happy to get a painting I like.

As for my old username, I don't even remember which order it was in. I just figured that Sleepless Knight makes more sense. Perhaps in a future TR I'll explain that origin. As for studios pics, I have a lot of them. I don't fully trust my camera(which you'll hear about more in a future TR) on account of it's annyoing proclivity to be fully charged one instant and completely dead the next second. Furthermore, it can run for weeks on a fresh set of recharaged batteries or it won't run at all on a fresh set of batteries. And it eats up supposed long lasting digital camera batteries at the same rate it eats up regular batteries. So, I didn't take very many pictures of the first 3 days of this trip because I knew that seeing the Walt Disney Studios is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I wanted to take lots and lots of pictures. If I miss a pic at Disneyland, I can get it again without much trouble, but the Studios are a different matter.

Suffice it say, my camera chose to cooperate this time and I got a lot of pictures, which I will be sharing. After all, what fun is a Walt Disney Studios backlot visit without taking lots of pictures to remember it? And let's face it, it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining to read about it if you couldn't see what I'm talking about.

Another great update. You really are a great storyteller & I starting to become jealous of your personally embellished Disney fine art collection.:thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear/see all about the Studios. I agree with you 100% in that I think a good story needs lots of pictures to help tell it right. That's why we all love Disney so much isn't it because of the visual images they use to tell us the best stories. :lovestruc

You hit that right on the head. I think a major reason why Walt Disney was so successful is because he always looked for new ways to tell a story. When you look at his classic films, none of them looked alike. Each film was distinct visually from the story that preceded it.

Well, now that you've stuck with me through weeks of sometimes sporadic updates and even occasional postings on my pre-trip report comes the moment that you've all been waiting for, but of course what trip report would be complete without some sort of moment of truth and/or crisis, which you're about to hear about next.

Well, as everybody knows, Disney has billed 2007 and 2008 as the Year(s) of a Million Dreams. When looking at all the dream prizes being awarded, I can say that many of them don't strike me as a “dream.” Sure there are some fun prizes in the there, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade any of the year of a million dream prizes, for what I will see today. Yes, today is the day that I get to tour the backlot of the Walt Disney Studios the very place where so many of my favorite movies were created. You see of all the places in the world where I would love to someday visit the Walt Disney Studios are at the very top of the list, right ahead of Lucasfilm/ILM, and Pixar Animation Studios. On my many trips through southern California on my way to Disneyland, I would often wonder just where the Walt Disney Studios were in Burbank. I never ultimately really wanted to know though because of how badly I wanted to go there. Better not knowing just how close I was, while still being so very far away.

And yet now the day has come. In the months leading up to this trip, I'd been very quiet about. I guess I was afraid of somehow jinxing it. I told my family, but that was about it. I didn't tell any of my friends until about a week before the trip when I knew it was happening. It's unique experience waking up the morning of something you've dreamed about all your life, but never actually believed it would happen. This morning was nothing like the excitement and anticipation of visiting Disneyland or Walt Disney World simply because this opportunity will likely never come again.

With our tour beginning at 10:30, we left Anaheim at 8:00am giving ourselves plenty of time to deal with rush hour traffic through L.A. Well, as it turns out, we didn't leave nearly early enough for on this morning the traffic was beyond horrible. It moved v e r y , v e r y s l o w l y. It was horrendous. As the minutes grew into hours, the fear began to mount. In short, there was too little time until our tour started and we were still too far away. In those anxious and fearful moments I began to fear that my dream was about to die in the horrendous traffic of Los Angeles. I don't think I've ever hated and loathed traffic as I did in those anxious hours. And yet from this I would learn a lesson.

You see I'm a very religious person. I served a mission for my church in Moscow, Russia for two years, beginning to learn Russian only after I accepted the call to serve. And now another piece of the puzzle becomes clear. Looking back on my life, I realized that God was preparing me to live amongst the Russian people through the films of Walt Disney. Why? It's already quite apparent that I've loved Sleeping Beauty since I was a little boy. Where did the music in the film come from? Piotr Ilych Tchaikovksy, the Russian composer. I also have very clear memories of Fantasia and the short Peter and the Wolf, which both featured extensive use of, you guessed it, Russian classical music. So, growing up in the end of the Cold War, I was exposed to the Russian culture in a small way through the films of Walt Disney. Long before I went to Russia, I had an appreciation for Russian culture. I clearly remember buying an old audio cassette(that seems like forever ago) in Moscow of music from the Sleeping Beauty ballet because I knew that the Sleeping Beauty waltz contained the music for Once Upon A Dream.

And so fearing that my dream was about to die, I began to pray, that someway, somehow, we would make it on time to the Walt Disney Studios. Well, we didn't, but through the wonder of cell phones we were able to call others in our group and let them know that we'd be a little late. To make matters even crazier and more stressful, we had been given bad directions to the Studios once we arrived in Burbank, so the stress mounted. So close and yet so far. Well, in the end we arrived. We were finally here. And in looking back, I realized that in spite of the incredible fear and stress of that nightmare of a morning, I had a sense of peace. God may not have helped us arrive on time, but he did grant me a sense of calm and serenity to deal with the stress.

But now the long nightmare of a morning's drive through Los Angeles had ended. I was actually at the Walt Disney Studios. As we pulled into the parking lot, we saw the Sorcerers' Hat by the new animation building. I couldn't quite believe that I was actually seeing it for myself, live and in person. As we left the parking structure, we noticed the large stained glass windows the parking structure building. I suspect that all parking structures have elevators, and some even have stained glass windows in them, but I somehow doubt that those stained glass windows have portraits of Goofy, Donald Duck, Pluto, and Daisy.

Yes!!! We finally made it! The Walt Disney Studios!
wdc.jpg

How cool is this for a parking garage?
ds5.jpg

And then off in the distance I see it. The famous Walt Disney Studios water tower. Again, I can't quite believe it. I'm here on the backlot of the Walt Disney Studios. See over there is Jiminy Cricket as well.

ds4.jpg

wdstudios.jpg

And so our tour begins as we walk past the soundstages, including the very famous Stage 2. Many, many years ago, Stage 2 was home to the rooftops of London where Mary Poppins came flying down into London to be a nanny for the Banks children. Mary Poppins was filmed entirely in stage 2. Love to laugh, here's where it happened. The chimneys were swept here, the birds were fed, and yes even kites were flown here. But Mary Poppins isn't the only film you've seen that was filmed here. In more recent years, stage 2 was home to cursed Aztec gold and a fateful confrontation between one Captain Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa. Yes, the final battle scene from Pirates of the Carribean was filmed here. The swamps from Pirates of the Carribean 2 were also filmed here on stage 2.

stage2.jpg

More Disney history took place in the sound stages. I still remember growing up and watching old reruns of The Wonderful World of Disney and World of Color on The Disney Channel back in the days when the Disney Channel actually showed Disney programming as opposed to endless repeats of High School Musical: 25th Reunion or something like that. You know I miss the Disney Channel. I wish the channel bearing Walt's name would actually air programs featuring Walt and some of his wonderful characters as opposed to 24/7/365 tween hit of the day. Okay, enough of my rant about the channel bearing Walt's name(they don't even deserve it). Anyways, back when you could see programs that proved Walt Disney was a real person, and an amazing one at that, they would show footage from the classics. Even wondered why Sleeping Beauty and other classics looked so lifelike? Well, they would film live actors acting out scenes from the movie on these soundstages for the animators to study their performances and their movements. On a soundstage is where the old black and white footage of Phillip and Aurora meeting once upon a dream was filmed. Here on a soundstage, Phillip fought Maleficent to save the life of the girl of his dreams. So much history, and here I am, right in the middle of it.

Never before have I found some plain looking building so exciting.
stage1.jpg

And so having seen the soundstages we turn the corner and come to a very famous street sign. Mickey Avenue. If you've been to Disney's Hollywood Studios, you've seen a street called Mickey Ave., but this one right before is the real Mickey Ave. I can't believe I'm here. Some people have replicas of this sign hanging in their homes. I loved Mickey Mouse my entire life. I could spot him from a hundred yards away when I was little, and yet now, here I am, standing on Mickey Avenue itself, right underneath the sign. Look carefully and you'll also notice Pluto's Corner, and yes, it's right next to the fire hydrant.
mickeyave.jpg

Perpendicular to Mickey Avenue is another famous sign, this one paying homage to the film that quite literally built this place. Dopey Drive. Using the profits from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Walt and Roy Disney built the Walt Disney Studios. You know I think of all the Seven Dwarfs, Dopey is my favorite. And it's fitting and appropriate that we're on Dopey Drive now. For just down the street a little way is the original Legends Sidewalk. Here is where many of the Disney Legends put their hand prints in cement. Here you can find the signatures of the Nine Old Men, Peter Ellenshaw, Annette Funicello, Fess Parker, and Julie Andrews, among others.

It takes one to know one.
dopey.jpg

Some of the Nine Old Men and other famous Disney legends.
9oldmen.jpg

Marc Davis, the lead animator for such memorable characters as Tinker Bell, Cinderella, Maleficent, Cruella De Vil, and of course a certain princess with gold of sunshine in her hair and lips that shame the red, red rose. Davis also helped imagineer Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean.
marcdavis.jpg

And right across the street from Legends Sidewalk is the place where legends are born, where dreams begin. For here, in this building is where Briar Rose first danced off the page and into my heart with Prince Phillip once upon a dream. In this building, Peter Pan first flew off to Neverland with Tinker Bell. In these hallways, Dumbo learned to fly, and Bambi became twitterpated. Here is where Cinderella first tried on the glass slipper, Lady and the Tramp shared that romantic kiss on a bella note, Pongo and Perdita ended up with 99 puppies, and Baloo taught Mowgli the Bare Necessities. In later years, here is where Ariel would take her first steps on land, Belle would learn to love a beast, the Genie would be freed so he could visit Disneyland, and Simba would become The Lion King. The Animation Building. Here, the nine old men became, well, the Nine Old Men.

Our tour guide telling us about the history of the animation building. He skipped the part about the history and process of hand drawn animation because he knew that we already knew how it was created. Yes, I'm a certifiable Disney geek.
oldanimation.jpg

In around 1995, the animation department moved to the new animation building with the Sorcerers' Hat, and the old animation building was turned into an office building. Today notables such as Jerry Bruckheimer and Terry Rossio(screenwriter for Pirates of the Carribean) work in this building. But as a tribute to the original purpose of this building, the walls of the first floor hallway are lined with various scenes and stills detailing the creation of an animated feature film or short and the process of how it leaps off the paper and comes to the silver screen.

It may have all started with a mouse, but this is the man who created the world's most famous mouse
walt.jpg

And here's the mouse who started it all
steamboat.jpg

A really neat thing about the layout on the walls of the old animation building. The drawings, sketches, and complete cels are grouped together by the part that each represents in the process of the drawing becoming the finished cels. For that reason, these pictures on the walls are not grouped together by film, but rather by what each one represents.

Concept art from Bambi
bambi.jpg

Rough animation and clean up animation on the Beast.
batbsketches.jpg

Sketches of Sorcerer Mickey from Fantasia
fantasiasketches.jpg

Eyvind Earle's background painting of King Stefan's throne room from Sleeping Beauty. This film is unique in that prior Disney films saw the characters drawn first, and the background made to fit them. With Sleeping Beauty, Walt had Eyvind Earle create the lush and detailed backgrounds and then made the characters fit the background. This is part of why Sleeping Beauty the film is so consistent in appearance throughout. Some have also argued that Sleeping Beauty is the most realistic of the Disney films as they were hoping to create a moving illustration.
earlethrone.jpg

Finished cels from assorted feature films and shorts. While I wanted Mickey to be clearly visible in this picture, you can also see Winnie the Pooh and The Jungle Book.
mickey.jpg

I interrupt your visual tour here to interject that we even got to visit the famous underground tunnels that connected the animation department to Ink and Paint. Back in the old days before all hand drawn animation was inked by computer, each drawing had to be hand inked. In order to protect the drawings and the newly inked cels from occasional bad weather even in sunny southern California, the tunnels were constructed. Legend has it that Disney animators even used the slope of the tunnels as a slide using * gasp * some of the hand inked cels from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs since they didn't fully realize what they had accomplished with that film.

The front and back of a painted cel featuring Flora from Sleeping Beauty. By the way, Flora is still wrong.
flora.jpg

The construction of one of the most breathtaking animated scenes ever done, the ballroom scene from Beauty and the Beast.
batbprocess.jpg

A close up of the finished cel from Beauty and the Beast.
batbcel.jpg

A finished cel from one of my other favorite Disney films, The Lion King.
lionking.jpg

Showing the process of effects animation from one of Disney's most famous visual effects scenes ever, the dragon transformation and battle from Sleeping Beauty. Most of the films then record $6 million cost was spent on this scene. Small wonder that some historians believe that Sleeping Beauty was highly influential on Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, and George Lucas.
maleficent.jpg

To honor the past meeting the future, here are some scenes from Pixar's 2007 release Rataouille. It's worth noting that Pixar animators were heavily influenced by the Disney classics, with John Lasseter and Brad Bird having studied at Cal Arts. In Bird's films The Iron Giant and The Incredibles Frank and Ollie make an appearance. They're the gentlemen talking about how they did it old school at the end of The Incredibles.
ratatouille.jpg

Coming soon to a trip report near you(at least in this thread): Legends Plaza.

That is just too too cool. I'm really enjoying your report! And it helped me get back into my Disney mood while getting through my work day! ::MinnieMo

Those pictures were great. I especially liked seeing the one of the front of the studios. We used to live in Burbank so it brought back memories. Of course, we never toured the studios. ;) Very cool.

You made me nervous.......I bet you were reallly worried that you would miss this once of a lifetime experience. STUPID TRAFFIC. Glad everything worked out ok.
Great descriptions & pictures of the Studios........you are making me feel just like I am there. I can't believe that I will be there in December. I just can't wait.
Ready to see & read more.

Thanks everyone. The artwork holds a special place in my collection, and yes there is more to come.

Note to self: from now on refer to the 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall resin recreations of Disney characters as big figures so as to not confuse people wondering how big the ODV cart selling 1 figs is.

The POTC hidden Mickey is on one of the armor plates near the end of the attraction. It can be spotted, but sometimes the light has to hit it just right to see the Mickey.

Remind me where the one on Pinocchio is.

the one on Pinocchio is in the carnival scene on the floor at the popcorn box.

Of course a few minutes later I would face a threat to my collecting focus (from a certain point of view). A forthcoming park exclusive painting. A park exclusive is pretty much like it sounds meaning that you can only get it in the park(akin to the Thomas Kinkade painting of Disneyland for the 50th Anniversary). This forthcoming painting is by Manny Hernandez and it's a beauty. It's titled The Happiest Street on Earth and features 106 Disney characters on Main Street USA with Sleeping Beauty Castle in the background. Manny was kind enough to show me quite a few of his character sketches for the painting and the work in progress original. He also showed me where a certain princess(you all get one guess and only one guess) is going to be in the painting since she hadn't been added yet.

Well since a few months have passed since I first saw The Happiest Street on Earth, more information has come out about it. It's going to be released on July 17, 2008 (an appropriate day to release a painting if I ever heard of one) exclusively at Walt Disney World!! (Ha, ha, ha, fool you). It's being released at Disneyland. On that day, those in the park can see a presentation with Manny and get their painting signed. Of course this is assuming they have any left by the release date. Disneyland, in a move that makes me very happy since there's no way I can be in Disneyland on the 17th, is making the painting available for purchase via Disneyland delivEARS. It became available yesterday, and yes, I bought it. I've convinced myself that because it features both a certain princess and the world's most famous mouse(and my oldest friend in the world, remember my mother put a Disney poster in my nursery before I was even born) at Disneyland. As an added bonus, it will be embellished by Manny himself even though Disney Gallery's website does not specifically say so. Manny came up to Cindy's store a couple of weeks ago and as we were talking about the painting, he told us that he would be doing some embellishment on every canvas edition of the painting. So knowledge can be a wonderful thing. Now I get to play the waiting game. While Homer Simpson would rather play Hungry Hungry Hippos, I have no choice. Disneyland told me the painting is being shipped in mid August, mere weeks before my next visit, but alas they can't hold it there for me so I have to pay for shipping. But courtesy of the premium annual pass, I did get a 10% discount. (And thus my premium AP has now officially already paid for itself over a deluxe).

The Happiest Street on Earth by Manny Hernandez
HSOE_Framed_27_36.jpg

Please note that this painting comes from the official Disney Gallery website. To see how the other editions look and some of the character sketches, click me, click me! If you want information about the actual relase and info to contact Disneyland about, visit the Disney Gallery web page.

Sleepless Knight--why did you have to go and make it EASY to inquire about the Happiest Street giclee? Why? Why? Why? You are totally evil--trying to get other people to go down the same collecting road as you . .. . sigh . . . . yes, I just called Deliverears and ordered it . . . .sigh. . . you're just trying to get people to share your pain (and joy!)

I don't now if I should congratulate you on getting such a beautiful piece or console you :lmao: Either way I think you'll be very thrilled with it.

Before I answer your question, I have to ask one of my own. Did you get either a premium AP discount or Disney Visa discount? They do give you those if you order through delivEARS. I'd call back and see if they can do it if you didn't. When I ordered mine, I told the CM I would be paying with a Disney Visa(not thinking about the discount) and asked if my premium AP discount is honored over the phone. She told me that the discount is the same, so she made applied the Visa one(as it was easier than having me read off the AP number).

Now to answer your question, I'll quote one of my cinematic heroes, albeit out of context, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Yes, high end collectibles are addicting. If you choose to go down that path, I recommend choosing one or maybe two themes and then adhering very strictly to those themes. In other words, choose a favorite film or character and then set your limits.

If you, like me, are someone whose themes tend to be fairly popular(mine are Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty), set rules and limits and then adhere to them. Any Sleeping Beauty item must have Aurora and/or Phillip in it before I'll even consider it. Once it passes that test, than it has to capture in some way the personal meaning the film has for me(see my thoughts on the As Beauty Sleeps painting. High end Mickey items must depict Mickey in Star Wars. I'm not so strict on pins and plush toys, but the strictness helps me keep things under control.

I don't now if I should congratulate you on getting such a beautiful piece or console you :lmao: Either way I think you'll be very thrilled with it.

Before I answer your question, I have to ask one of my own. Did you get either a premium AP discount or Disney Visa discount? They do give you those if you order through delivEARS. I'd call back and see if they can do it if you didn't. When I ordered mine, I told the CM I would be paying with a Disney Visa(not thinking about the discount) and asked if my premium AP discount is honored over the phone. She told me that the discount is the same, so she made applied the Visa one(as it was easier than having me read off the AP number).

Now to answer your question, I'll quote one of my cinematic heroes, albeit out of context, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Yes, high end collectibles are addicting. If you choose to go down that path, I recommend choosing one or maybe two themes and then adhering very strictly to those themes. In other words, choose a favorite film or character and then set your limits.

If you, like me, are someone whose themes tend to be fairly popular(mine are Mickey Mouse and Sleeping Beauty), set rules and limits and then adhere to them. Any Sleeping Beauty item must have Aurora and/or Phillip in it before I'll even consider it. Once it passes that test, than it has to capture in some way the personal meaning the film has for me(see my thoughts on the As Beauty Sleeps painting. High end Mickey items must depict Mickey in Star Wars. I'm not so strict on pins and plush toys, but the strictness helps me keep things under control.

Yes, I got the Disney Visa discount (I could have also gotten the PAP discount, but as you noted it is the same)--thanks for reminding me though.

Great collecting tips--the only other high end Disney thing I've bought is a set of Shag prints depicting various lands in Disneyland that I got when I was lucky enough to go to Company D (the castmember store) and they had two sets left at half price. Of course, that was back in April and I have made no moves to get them framed--which I need to do. My office landlord (who is also my best friend from law school) has been after me to put up artwork in my lobby--I have these big expanses of white walls. I don't know whether to put these items here or in my house. I have actually been looking for higher end artwork depicting either the Grand Californian or Wilderness Lodge themes because my lobby furniture is Mission style. So I'm not really sure the Happiest Street/Shag prints will go well with it. (Which means they would go in my house instead.) Decisions, decisions.

So, I would suspect my "theme" will be more Disneyland Park rather than a specific character. Which is where my heart is, anyway--I love it all!

And I am thrilled . . . but waiting for it to arrive will be hardest part!

and I think from now on I'll just call you Yoda . . . . . . :laughing:

Cheryl

I'd go for your house since I think you'll enjoy it there more. I do have a small giclee of Bambi in my office that Collectors Editions gave us on this trip that works great. You can tell that it's Bambi, but it's not very "cartoony." I love the cartoony style, but not necessarily in an office.

One of the aspects I really enjoy about fine art is how it's an adult collectible. Over the years I've collected all sorts of things from Star Wars action figures to Disney fine art and I reached a point where I felt out of place collecting small things made of plastic. Artwork though has a timeless quality to it that means it never goes out of style.

I'd go for your house since I think you'll enjoy it there more. I do have a small giclee of Bambi in my office that Collectors Editions gave us on this trip that works great. You can tell that it's Bambi, but it's not very "cartoony." I love the cartoony style, but not necessarily in an office.

One of the aspects I really enjoy about fine art is how it's an adult collectible. Over the years I've collected all sorts of things from Star Wars action figures to Disney fine art and I reached a point where I felt out of place collecting small things made of plastic. Artwork though has a timeless quality to it that means it never goes out of style.

I'm thinking my bedroom so that every morning when I wake up I get to see the Happiest Street on Earth! (not sure what BF will think though!)

Hi SK,
I'm really enjoying your TR! Thanks for sharing everything.

The Happiest Street on Earth reminds me of the back side of a Little Golden Book. I used to love to study those and ponder my next trip to Disneyland!

Melissa
P.S. I once had a priceless piece of personalized fine art! It was my personalized copy of how I, MISSY SCOTT, helped the dwarves figure out the exact combination to a locked door (my birthstone and birthday!) and RESCUE Snow White! OMG it was the BEST. I wish I could find a similar copy... or at least somebody who had it. I think I still have mine somewhere

Cheryl, your bedroom is the perfect place for the Happiest Street on Earth. It's such a wonderful and fun piece.

Melissa, was it on a little golden book or something like that. I may be able to put you in touch with somebody who might be able to do something like that for you. Let me know if you want more information.

Phalene, thanks for your kind words.

This is a fantastic report! I've spent waaay too much time this morning reading it through-- and can't wait for the rest!

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I spent some time last night working on the next update, so look for it later today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter