Oldest DVC Member

We signed the papers in December 1991 and made are first visit in January 92, unit 14. I believe this was right above the sample units back then. We used to wake up to the sound of hammers and trucks, instead of buses!!

We've been members since 3/93. They backed our use year up to 10/92 so we could get the full 50 years of points. KevinNYC's description of the early days is an excellent one. DVC literally grew each time we left and new units were waiting on our return. We checked into one brand new unit and discovered the new refrigerator had a broken water feed pipe. The bedroom wall behind the refrigerator was soaked with water. We were changed to another brand new unit.
Conch Flats was the name of Old Key West then but the official name was just Disney Vacation Club.

I remember the small Goofy cards with the 'What in the World is the Disney Vacation Club?' line. We took the tour and bought in Feb, 1992. Our guide Clark Cable (now deceased) was wonderful. I think one of the things that clinched it for us was their respect for the guests. They told us that we were welcome to walk around the resort ourselves (such as it was) but there was no formal tour because they did not want to disturb the guests who were staying there. Remember the ice cream sundaes after the tour? We still have our new members photo in the 'hot air balloon'. I also remember the bus route through the Treehouse Villas. Did anyone ever see anyone at that pool? It seemed like it was always deserted. I enjoyed watching OKW grow from that small beginning. Everytime we went the first few years there were some new buildings. We were at VB for the 'hard opening' (with guest dignitaries and the press) and then moved over to OKW the same day. That was the day that they 'officially' changed the name of the resort from DVC to OKW and we watched as they changed the signs. We were also at OKW the days they sold out the first and second times and then made the final move from Commodore House. Remember when the security booth at the entrance wasn't manned? I enjoyed when the Member Updates were held twice a week, more chances to meet other members. I think that buying DVC was one of the best things that I have ever done along with finding this board and 'meeting' all of you! By the way I gave the address of this site and board to the DVC guides during our last stay at OKW. They wanted to know how we knew so much about what was happening or in the planning stages at DVC. So I told them where we got our information-DIS and the DVC board-Naturally!

NancyDVC

Feb.92, sight unseen, via mail.

Gail

Offsite - 88
CBR - 89 & 90
PO - 91
OKW-92,OKW-93,OKW-96, OKW-97 2X'S,OKW-98 2X's
OKW-99 2X'S,OKW-00 2X's OKW-01 1X
Jamaica-SandalsInn 98&00

We started our DVC journey in Dec. 1991. I wanted to buy sight unseen but my Husband said "lets take a look!". We visited in March 1992 and I fell in love with what I saw(much different from what we all see today). The tour wasn't really a tour and we also talked and bought from Clark Gable ( sorry to hear that he is deceased). We had a fabulous ice cream treat after our talk and then we had the famous hot air balloon picture taken---I still proudly display that picture in my home! Our first visit was
March 1993--in a Grand Villa. The pool was empty, the guard house unmanned and we didn't see too many people on the DVC grounds.
We've had so many wonderful visits over the years with friends and family! I have never regretted my purchase back in 1993--looking forward to our next visit this March!

Jeannie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter