Old planning pro, turned into a confused and befuddled newbie by all the changes, needing HELP!!!

NorthernCalMom

Compulsive Touring Planner
OK, so we’re finally ready to head back into the parks, but all my Prep Queen prowess was honed during pre-COVID times and is now mostly useless, it seems. So I’m trying to relearn how to do this from scratch, especially since my sister and niece are visiting from Germany, and I want it to be a special experience for them.

I’ve been fighting my way through the different pinned threads, and I’ve been logging wait times (and closure patterns, for potential MEP fishing…) for the past five weeks. I bought both Touring Plans and RideMax subscriptions, for extra inspiration and because I usually love juggling numbers. Running various scenarios through them was always one of my favorite parts of trip preparation. I am very much missing my previous Disney plan crafting confidence, though. After almost a decade of visits, I could have designed any no-FP, traditional FP, or Maxpass plan pretty much in my sleep. All of that confidence is gone, and now I feel like such a beginner!! Anyhow… please see below what I have so far, and, if you can be so kind as to give me your informed feedback, I will be ever so grateful!
Our stats as a group: six people, three of them adults and three teenagers. As I mention above, two of them are relatively or absolutely new to the parks (one has never been, the other one has visited Dland almost two decades ago--CA Adventure didn't yet exist at the time--and never since, so an almost newbie), so I figure we want to do a few rides that my thrill-ride loving kids would usually skip, just to get the full experience. We have four days, single park each, and we are going to be in the parks from July 26 to July 29 (Dland on Tuesday and Thursday, CA on Wednesday and Friday), with July 30 being our resting/DTD/pool day. We’re staying at the DLH and are bummed that we’ll be missing the reintroduction of early admission for resort guests by only a little more than a week. Golly, darn, fiddlesticks!!!

There are a few kooky details that will have to affect my planning:
(1.) My husband is only going to be with us the first two days and will be at a conference on Thu & Fri, so we have to fit anything that all of us want to do together (ROTR, Millennium Falcon, Plaza Inn chicken, Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Davy Crockett Canoes—don’t judge; it’s one of our most beloved Disney family traditions…) into the first day (he’s a lot more flexible in regards to California Adventure, but definitely has his Disneyland favorites).

(2.) It would also be nice to catch Fantasmic on the Monday and WOC on Tuesday. I don’t see us doing a dining package for Fantasmic, so I’m wondering if we can find a way to see the second showing from maybe less of an ideal vantage point for free. I don't mind staking out a claim, even if that means sitting somewhere for hours. I saw that there is a virtual line for WOC?
(3.) The one ride I absolutely do not want to miss is Space Mountain. There is something about this moment, when you slowly glide on with your ride vehicle and then, suddenly, things start speeding up and the goofy 60’s spy thriller music kicks in (I am one of the oddballs who doesn’t care for Hyperspace Mountain but loves the original), that is essential to me for a Disneyland visit. It makes me choke up a bit and feel blissfully happy, both at the same time. Without this moment, a trip just wouldn’t be the same for me. So, whatever else I do, I don’t care; but Space Mountain is essential for me, on either of our two days in Disneyland.

(4.) We are not planning to purchase ILL$$$. Who knows, once we see the lines, our resolve may crumble, but so far that’s the plan. We are thinking about buying 5 rather than 6 Genie+ passes for the first two days (one Disneyland, one CA Adventure) only and creatively shuffling them around between the six of us. My husband doesn’t really feel he’d be missing out if he rides a lot less (aside from the above listed “must do” experiences!), and we won’t need a full set for many of the rides (e.g. my younger kid and I are deadly afraid of Splash Mountain; one in our party has back issues and isn’t sure about Matterhorn; if I try to find and hold a space for a non-dining deal related Fantasmic viewing, I won’t ride with them but will instead hang out people-watching, etc). Besides, getting 5 rather than 6 Genie+ passes is kind of our feeble attempt at protesting Disney’s increasing nickeling and diming… One of the biggest drawbacks of this will be that we cannot use Genie+ for all of us six riding MF Smugglers’ Run together, so that one will have to be standby! I’ve watched the Falcon’s Tuesday wait times like a hawk the past month, and it seems that they take a while to build in the morning and tend to drop off at night, so I hope we could, if the stars align, get to do it without waiting too long. Given that we spent so much money on the tickets and hotel, $20 more or less, for another Genie+, would not really be that big of a difference, but this is a question of principle for my (beloved but stubborn) hubby… and I’ve learned over the years that the secret to a happy marriage is to patiently work around each other’s little quirks rather than be too annoyed with them.

So here’s our (right now still rather preliminary plan) for Monday, July 25, in Disneyland (single park tickets). We are planning to arrive at the turnstiles around 1.5 hours before official opening, staying towards the left side of the esplanade, because we’re trying to rope drop ROTR. I have read through the various threads with the pros and cons about this, but it just seems to make sense to us (especially since we won’t worry about ROTR on day three, our second Dland day, and can take advantage of the short early morning lines then). When they start scanning people in, I hope we won’t fall too far behind due to it being our first day and thus having to have six people’s photos taken. I figure I’ll put our fastest walkers to the front, so they can start marching towards the Frontierland side of the rope at the hub, while the rest of us is still being photographed. Let’s hope we can then catch up with them without annoying the other folks at the hub too much. While waiting at the rope, I’ll buy Genie+ for five of us, and then I play around with it to become more familiar with it. So, the idea is that the rope drops, and we try to get to ROTR as quickly as possible. This brings me to my first couple of questions:

On days that the ride isn’t open right away in the morning, do they still form a line (of people who keep up the hope that it will open soon), or would that require a completely different plan B for us? If they do, then I would definitely rather hang out in the relative front of a line, hoping for the best, even if that adds even more wait time. When logging wait times throughout the end of June and beginning of July, I saw far more ROTR breakdowns during the day than first thing in the morning, so I hope that pattern holds.
I am on the slow side… due to some knee and ankle issues; not bad enough for DAS but severe enough to have me use a cane just to take some of my weight of them. If our group’s fast walkers dash ahead, and I’m catching up with them as quickly as I can, is there a natural spot close to the beginning of the ride that would be a good point for meeting up, minimizing our wait without inconveniencing or annoying other guests too much?

While waiting in line, I figure I’ll play around with Genie+ to see if I can catch something that may lead to an MEP or if there is anything that is far out enough to warrant getting. I’m wondering about the “refresher” trick that some folks here on the board describe using. Would that still work for a group of 5, or is that only relevant for single guests or at most couples? Wouldn’t it be rare that a large group cancels their LL, just when I’m looking for one?

As to what to plan for next, this is one of the biggest problems I have as far as my planning goes. I have no idea how long it’ll take us to get on and off the ride, so anything beyond that is, as far as timing goes, a bit of a blur. My previous, carefully honed time gauging super powers have been zapped by all of Disney's newfangled changes and are pretty much gone.

So, the next step, after (hopefully) riding ROTR would be to check the wait times for the Millennium Falcon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that our early arrival will have minimized the risk of having gotten caught in a huge line of people, pushing our timing back so far that Smuggler’s Run will by then be a long wait. After that one, it is yet again depending on (the hard to predict) timing what we would be doing next. I am still working my way through the various Genie+ related threads, to see what order of rides makes most sense. Since we’ll be hoping to have lunch at Plaza Inn, we’re probably at that point heading to either Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. In the past, I would have set up shop at Plaza Inn right after they close for breakfast (making sure to not be in the cast members way), to wait for lunch, while the rest of my posse ride rides. I have had trouble finding out what time Plaza Inn opens for lunch. Breakfast ends at 11am. Do they start serving lunch at 11:30am or at noon?

Davy Crockett seems to open around 11, but we probably wouldn’t want to ride it right after lunch, since that would put us into waiting for it and rowing in the blistering midday heat. So, that’s probably something to do a bit later (though not too late, because I believe they close a little after 5pm).

I figure the rest of the day will heavily depend on LL availability. I figure we (or at least most of us) will ride Space Mountain (squee!!), Indy, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Splash, Star Tours, Autopia (love that one for its nostalgic value), Buzz, and Small World, as well as re-ride Millennium Falcon.

One of my kids mentioned wanting to do Peter Pan (which is what we avoided during previous trips), but that’s probably better done early in the morning on our second day, though I noticed that there are times when the line dips a bit, so if we see one of them on the app and are close by, we’ll probably go for it. I still have to read up on the various Genie threads here and elsewhere, to see if this sounds like it could work for us. With all the sneaky changes they forced on us (pay per play rides, for profit FPs, decreasing food portions, etc), I am having slight trust issues here… Given the access to data they have, this could be a great asset if they do it right; I just don’t think that Disney’s IT department are known for doing things “right.” I figure once I read through all the threads on the topic, I’ll probably have more of an opinion and a lot more questions about this.

Non-LL rides that we are trying to fit in somewhere either on this day (or, more likely, on our second Dland day on Thursday) are: Alice, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Winnie the Poo, the tea cups. As far as the rest of Fantasyland goes, we’ll see how long the lines are…

So, Dland day number two (our non-Genie+ day) will be a lot more relaxed (with a possible midday break for a quick nap at the hotel). It’ll probably just be us mopping up the remaining rides that we, for whatever reason, didn’t get to on the first day, watching the Tale of the Lion King, as well as re-riding whatever our German guests feel they want to do again, and in general just exploring all the different lands and eating all the different snacks!! Tiki Room and Dole Whip, here I come!!!!

I guess this post is long enough, so I’ll write about my California Adventure plans, questions, and musings in a separate one...

Wow! Lots to think about! Haha. We were just there for 2 days, so I'll try to help as much as I can.

I'll start in the middle of your post with your rope drop strategy. I myself arrived at 6:45 to the harbor side security. The line begins where Bus Stop 1 is labeled and I ended up by stop 2. They let people through around 7:15. As everyone gets spread out going through security, you get through pretty quick, especially if no bags, then you look for an entry gate with few people. I was 3rd in my line and right in front of the depot. Here's a link to some 360 pics I got before heading through security:

http://the360ofdisney.com/2022/07/08/good-morning-from-disneyland/

They'll scan some tickets before they officially open the gates at 7:30, so make sure you're far enough forward to get scanned and pictures taken so when they do the welcome countdown, you can run through real quick! I was doing a Live recording, so I crossed all the way across the train depot 🤣🤣. It was madness with the first people going through that got prescanned, but was good after that.

My Rope drop live video:

I was planning to hit up Indiana Jones first, so wasn't as concerned with RotR, but the CMs were telling people that it might be down. If that's the case, might be the perfect time for your group to head all the way to Millennium Falcon. But if you hit Indy first, you can go straight down New Orleans square with pretty short waits for most rides. I guess I did Indy, Pirates, HM, then jumped over to Thunder Mountain and had all those by 930. I did Splash and Millennium Falcon as single rider later in the day.

For us, Fantasyland was crowded, with wait times around 20 minutes for most things, so that was frustrating as I thought we could get a few more rides there after the rest of my party caught up with me around 930. Last year, we did 8 of the 10 rides in the first hour there, skipping Peter Pan and Alice. I think if you rope drop, this is a great strategy as none of them are on Genie+.

I really wanted to check out second showing of Fantasmic after watching MSEP and fireworks, just to see what the crowds were like for that showing, but the family didn't want to stay and my feet were on fire. I didn't leave the park at all that day, so I didn't stay.

I'm trying to do a trip report of everything, but DL was the second half of my trip, so still working on the first half. We didn't use G+. I was going to, but since the family didn't rope drop, I used that time to hit the G+ rides I would have done without them, plus Single Rider for the other rides as I mentioned. I did buy RotR ILL$ though. I had an Ogas reservation at 445, so wanted to do all the star wars things together.

World of Color in California Adventure was so cool, my wife talked herself into staying for the second showing. We did get in the virtual queue for the first show and were lined up to go into the area first, so got an amazing view right in front of the Pixar pal around. When we went back, we found a good view on the pier. That was nice as well because youre just far enough back that you can see everything without hardly turning your head. I highly recommend! That show starts after the park closes so most people have cleared out of the park by then.

Anyway, would love to answer more questions, just difficult to stay on track while reading through the amazing fun you're planning 🤣🤣

It’s my understanding that you cannot share Genie+, you’d have to buy for all in your party
From what I heard this is one of the areas where the official fine print (of their being "non-transferable") and what cast members actually do differ a bit. It seems that they don't have the time to check names when you scan into the LL, so as long as the person who uses it has a valid one, they should be good. If we run into trouble, we can always begrudgingly buy Genie+ #6 and then link it to the others, I guess... (all our tickets are scanned into my app as a "party" already).
:)

I miss the paper fast passes so hard. I used to love to pixie dust strangers by giving them away if I overestimated our staying power and had late night leftovers.

Anyway, would love to answer more questions, just difficult to stay on track while reading through the amazing fun you're planning 🤣🤣
Yes, I'm definitely one of those laconic, concise writers, aren't I...
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is extremely helpful. I'll make sure to deliver a thorough (and probably NOT tersely written) trip report, once we're back. I love this about these boards, that you get amazing help, and then you get to pay it back to the next person.
:love:

Yes, I'm definitely one of those laconic, concise writers, aren't I...
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is extremely helpful. I'll make sure to deliver a thorough (and probably NOT tersely written) trip report, once we're back. I love this about these boards, that you get amazing help, and then you get to pay it back to the next person.
:love:
Definitely, the trips are so much fun and you get to experience so much that you want to share it all, but I don't know anyone in my life that wants to hear it all! Haha, so yeah, great outlet to help others based on what you just did. It's crazy how things are constantly evolving with the pandemic reopening.

After I clicked send, I went back and saw you're staying at dlh and missing early entry, so that stinks, but good news for you is that they typically open DL hotel security side before harbor, so you should be able to get to the front of the ticket line a little easier!

Lot to process here! With mobility issues and the tight timeframe, I would consider purchasing LL+ for ROTR. It's down a lot in the morning and not worth rope drop for me. Also, I am willing to wait 60 min later in the day for it. I really don't mind that line.

From what I heard this is one of the areas where the official fine print (of their being "non-transferable") and what cast members actually do differ a bit. It seems that they don't have the time to check names when you scan into the LL, so as long as the person who uses it has a valid one, they should be good. If we run into trouble, we can always begrudgingly buy Genie+ #6 and then link it to the others, I guess... (all our tickets are scanned into my app as a "party" already).
:)

I miss the paper fast passes so hard. I used to love to pixie dust strangers by giving them away if I overestimated our staying power and had late night leftovers.
Yes, you can share Genie+ in the way you are suggesting. When I've had it for a group of 4, I've made 4 reservations for an attraction where only 2 of us want to ride, so those two people go twice. The names on the LL reservation don't matter.

The only trick is managing who is doing what at what time. It can be a bit of a pain to keep everything in sync, which is why I tend to make reservations for everyone for every attraction regardless of who is going to ride. That way we all stay in sync. (Although it is important to scan all the reservations you make, so someone needs to ride for each reservation.) You might find that the extra $20 is worth it to avoid having to manage the sharing.

Although it is important to scan all the reservations you make, so someone needs to ride for each reservation.
Im not sure if this is possible at DL, but with WDW, if I had someone selected that wouldn't do the ride or show, etc, we would just cancel their pass. However, riding twice is always good, too! 😂

If you consider G+ really being a $40 cost instead of $20, it kind of eases the thought of spending $20 just for Rise.
The issue is that IF Rise breaks down before or even worse just a bit after Rope Drop while you are in line it can really mess up your early morning strategy.
Even if you choose to then go to Falcon if Rise is down, well guess what, the other guests who want to go to Rise will also switch over to Falcon, driving that wait up.

Be aware even if you are at Rope Drop and Rise is working, if not in the very front of Rope Drop you are looking at a 20-40 minute wait, maybe longer. So if you include that with the time of getting up early for rope drop it easily passes a 60 minute wait. The ONLY times I recommend Rise at Rope Drop is if you are not buying ILL and park time is limited, or you are not buying ILL and want to experience Rise more than once.

If you are strongly against buying the ILL, keep an eye on the app, When the wait is 60 minutes or lower, grab a drink or snack, and wait it out. More than likely it is going to be a lesser than 60 minutes. My go to time for getting in line is after 6pm.
I would say out of the 5 times or so I tried it the wait was more like 40-50 minutes, in some rare cases 30-35 minutes. Disney does that to make ILL purchases seem to be worth it.

Also note that other parts of Galaxy Edge including the Falcon attraction tend to be minimal after 6pm as well.

Last edited:
On days that the ride isn’t open right away in the morning, do they still form a line (of people who keep up the hope that it will open soon), or would that require a completely different plan B for us? If they do, then I would definitely rather hang out in the relative front of a line, hoping for the best, even if that adds even more wait time. When logging wait times throughout the end of June and beginning of July, I saw far more ROTR breakdowns during the day than first thing in the morning, so I hope that pattern holds.
I am on the slow side… due to some knee and ankle issues; not bad enough for DAS but severe enough to have me use a cane just to take some of my weight of them. If our group’s fast walkers dash ahead, and I’m catching up with them as quickly as I can, is there a natural spot close to the beginning of the ride that would be a good point for meeting up, minimizing our wait without inconveniencing or annoying other guests too much?
When RotR did not open right at park opening for us, they made an announcement over the PA and suggested that we find other attractions to experience, but we were allowed to stay in line if we wanted. We did, and after about 15 min it opened and the line started moving. We were through the line and off the ride by about 9:20am. Please note that this was just our experience with a delayed opening -- not a breakdown. We had decided in advance that we would wait an hour for it to reopen and then do something else; luckily that didn't have to come into play. We just didn't want to pay for the ILL and we didn't want to have to keep an eye on the wait times all day to try and time it right (just our personal choice -- there are definitely chances to time it right during the day).

The RotR queue has an outdoor portion with many switchbacks that occasionally come back parallel to the main walkway, and at rope drop the line can also spill out past the entry gate -- you may even be able to catch up with them before they enter the queue proper. When I met up with someone who was already in line, I joined when I could and moved with the line while she sat on one of the benches inside the cave portion of the queue (maybe 10-15 min from the preshow) until I reached that point as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter