Old Key West studios. Tell me what you think?

ernierich

Mouseketeer
We're looking at going back to the World next year and have (what I think) is a good deal for a studio at Old Key West resort. The thing is not many people seem to talk about the studios. Have you been? What did you think?

Many thanks!

You're saying 'we' so i'm hoping it's only two. They can sleep four but it's tight. They're decent rooms althought just the kitchenette as opposed to full kitchen but if you got a deal, it's a good way to go.

The studios at OKW are the largest in the DVC system and have 2 queen size beds. They seem small to people used to 1BRs and suites maybe.

I love OKW but it's true that it's not as close to a park as some DVC resorts.

We don't usually do studios, but the OKW studio is the only we will do. Two queen beds make it more comfortable - we each get a real bed. No one has to sleep on a sleeper sofa (with only the two of us). When we get a one bedroom, our son gets stuck on the sleeper sofa.

OKW doesn't have elevators in the buildings, so if you can't do the stairs, you'll want to request the first floor or find a different resort.

There are four of us, but that includes a four year old and an eleven year old. Are the suites bigger than the standard rooms at POFQ? That's our other possibility.

The OKW studios are really large. I know the person above said it's cramped for four, but I think they are plenty big, I guess it's just a matter of opinion. We had lots of room to spread out and the kitchenette was all we needed that trip, and the balcony was great. We found the resort very quiet and very relaxing. It just felt very laid back.

For us it was the biggest room we have ever stayed in at Disney so maybe that is why we felt so spread out because we have only ever done standard hotel rooms and DVC studios and this one was the largest!

We don't usually do studios, but the OKW studio is the only we will do. Two queen beds make it more comfortable - we each get a real bed. No one has to sleep on a sleeper sofa (with only the two of us). When we get a one bedroom, our son gets stuck on the sleeper sofa.

OKW doesn't have elevators in the buildings, so if you can't do the stairs, you'll want to request the first floor or find a different resort.

All true, we've stayed in these when our DDs were younger, plenty of room.
We'll be there again in October, just DW & I. And then again in December with our 2 DDs.
:)

you will be fine - it has plenty of room.
390 sq ft is the size.

first time staying in one - was after I stayed at POR - and believe me it was alot bigger.

plus it has the kitchenette
so you can some meals there instead of paying disney prices for food.

Just to add, We recently stayed in a jambo house/AKV value studio. This is the absolute smallest of all studios.There was me my DW and Dtwins (9). We found it to be no problem at all. Then again we don't spend much time in the room, but I can only imagine how huge that OKW studio must be compared to AKV. You should be fine.

True except for three buildings (62-64) that do have elevators.

True except for three buildings (62-64) that do have elevators.

And those are usually reserved for medical needs.

There are four of us, but that includes a four year old and an eleven year old. Are the suites bigger than the standard rooms at POFQ? That's our other possibility.

DVC resorts do not have suites. Lodging for DVC is referred to as villas. And villas and suites can be very different. Just to make sure you understand.

The bathroom in an OKW studio is about three or four times the size of the one at POFQ. The sink is located inside the bathroom with the tub and toilet, but the kitchenette is right outside the bathroom where there is a small kitchen/bar sink located.

Thanks very much for all the info everyone. It looks like we're ready to book later on today. Excited doesn't really cover it. :thumbsup2

(Not that it really matters, but Disney's own Web-site, at least here in the UK, is referring to the room as a deluxe suite, so that's why I've been using the term as opposed to villa. Then again, maybe that's because we're not looking to book through DVC?)

One last question, which building do you think we should request. (can we request? Or are they all in one area?)

Thanks again.

We love OKW it's our favorite resort. Our choice for building/area is Turtle Pond buildings 41 or 42. There is a pool,hot tub,snack bar and laundry facility very close by. FYI studio accommodations do not have washer or dryer so laundry facility in the area isvery useful for us. Excited for you!

OKW is our favorite resort so far. It has the largest studios of all of the DVC resorts and it is the only studio that has two actual beds. the others have one bed and one pull out couch. that was fine until son was younger but he has now outgrown the pull out couch.

We always have car when we are there so that removes some of the negatives of OKW, such as size, room location and resort location, for us. We also love the fact that we can park right outside our room.

We tend to request a room towards the back because it is very peaceful. But, again, since we have our own car, it doesn't create an issue for us regarding being close to other ameneties in the resort.

We like having a private pool and hot tub for each section of the resort, along with laundry facilities located at each private pool. You also get a larger patio, or balcony if on an upper floor. The bathrooms are bigger as well, but the sink is in the bathroom instead of right outside the bathroom. But as someone mentioned, there is a second sink in the kithenette that can also be used.

It is a beautiful, peaceful resort. The last time we stayed there we had myself, my wife, my son (age 16) and a friend of his (age 16). We do spend time at the resort each day and we did not feel cramped. With the age of your children, you should have enough space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter