OKW with teens

TimeforMe

<marquee><font color=royalblue>Remember who you ar
We will be staying in WDW for 3 nights, USF for 4 nights and then onto HHI for 5 nights. Our last two WDW stays have been at the Swan/Dolphin and the Boardwalk area. Will my kids find OKW too quiet? I am worried about the transportation taking up too much time. Can anyone fill me in a little? Please note we will NOT be visiting Epcot this trip, but instead will probably do MGM, MK and a water park. Any suggestions on which bldgs. to stay in? Thanks!

I don't think the kids will be disappointed. I was surprised to hear my niece who was 16 say she loved OKW even after having spent a couple of nights at BWV on the same trip.

In addition to the pools, there is also basketball and tennis if either of those hold any interest for your teens. The buses are no better or worse than buses at any other WDW resort. If you hit it just right, they are no problem at all. Getting to MK will be no different than from the Swan....maybe a little faster. OKW is located closest to TL...you can even see the top of the tower from some parts of OKW so that bus will be quicker than the one to BB. If you have a car, DD and TL are only about a 5 minute drive.

do your teenagers like to shop?

they can take the boat to DD or walk to it or take the bus.

I really think they will appreciate the bigger rooms and more relaxed atmosphere.

My kids "grew up" at OKW, and they loved it during their teen years. (Youngest is still in that age group.)

Quick story. My DD brought her friend with us once on an OKW trip. They were both 17 at the time. This friend had stayed at all of the Disney Deluxe resorts with her family on previous trips.

Wouldn't you know, she loved it so much that she insisted that her family stay there on their next trip? :D :D :D

The buses are great, and are usually not crowded at all.

Thanks for the replies! Any idea which room I should request to be close to the pool, the buses, but not too noisy. I am a very light sleeper. I'm not asking too much, am I?;)

Originally posted by westjones
Are there basketballs at OKW to borrow? Or should we bring out own?
Thanks,
DJ

Equipment is available at "Hank's Rent and Return". Some items are free , some require rental.

Hank's is located right next to Community Hall.

Enjoy!

We bring our own better ball and you're not dependent on Hank's being open. Don't worry my kids were considerate and didn't play at outrageous hours.

Halle- the basketball court is pretty far from any of the villa - would anyone care?

but you are right of course someone would complaint.

We have never had a bad room at OKW, we have loved every visit. On our last trip there we stayed in Bldg. 63 and the girls loved it, they want to stay there again the next time we stay at OKW. There was some bus noise if you have the door open which I usually do and there is a golf cart trail behind the building, for those reasons I would have to say it wasn't my personal favorite. The kids liked it though because they could walk to community hall and do some late night swimming. There were a pair of really intertaining otters that hung around in the pond outside our door. Next time I might try the bldg. across the street, I think it is 62.

I am definitely NOT trying to start any resort war here, but I must offer a different opinion. I am sure your kids will have a very good time, heck they are at WDW, but my teens do find OKW too quiet and inconvenient compared to staying at a Epcot resort. They very often will take off by themselves or meet up with us later at a park, restaurant etc and they love the convenience from a Epcot resort, going to parks, etc from OKW is not nearly as easy when you have to rely on Disney transport. They also like the active atmosphere of the Epcot resorts right outside the door at nighttime, when they are always ready to go, go, go vs the roll up the sidewalks at 9:00 PM atmosphere. My teens always liked the extra room a 1 BR at OKW provided but never enough to want to stay there vs an Epcot DVC resort.
I am sure there are tons of teens that prefer OKW but I just wanted to share another side especially for teens that are used to the super convenience and variety of things to do that the great location a Epcot resort provides.

Thank you for all the replies and different opinions. I did book OKW today since the point usage, as it turns out, worked out the best at OKW v. BCV or BWV. We are not spending the bulk of our time this trip at WDW so I think (read: hope) the kids will be OK. Like someone said, heck they're in Disney--but they are good kids and I'm sure will be fine. I just didn't want to spend the majority of our short stay there trying to get around. We still haven't decided if we're renting a car or not, so that would help too. Was I supposed to make the room request when I made the ressie? This is the 1st time we're using our points except for our cruise.

yesdisneyfool--thanks for the link! I'm headed there now.

They will still have a good time. We ended up at OKW for a couple of extra trip days last May. DS and his buddy (both 19) liked it so much that they didn't even go to the park on one of the days! And they are big BWV fans.

A little tip... some of it will depend on how many other teens are at the resort - particularly of the opposite sex.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter