OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
We are trying to decide between a stay at OKW and AKL. Has anyone stayed at both and have thoughts on Disney bus service to/from the parks from each resort?
We've stayed at both (as well as pretty much every DVC resort) and wouldn't rate the bus service any better for one or the other.

StitchandPooh'sMom

DIS Veteran
At OKW, if you get on at the first stop, Peninsula Road, it can take close to an hour to get on the road (or at least it can seem like that long).
What? We have stayed twice at OKW (most recently last month), and it takes about ten minutes to circle the resort and stop at all the stops. I can see it taking a few more minutes with wheelchairs and/or scooters, but we rode the buses for a week from the South Point stop and didn't think the time in the resort was bad at all.

We have also stayed at AKL and agree that fewer stops mean less time traveling around the resort, but the buses were fine at OKW.

gr8tdame

Enchanted
We stayed in a refurbished 1 Bdrm near HH (bldg 25) in January. It was our first stay at OKW and I was surprised there was no makeup mirror (magnified) in the bathroom. All of the other DVC resorts have them so I did not pack mine. Was this just an anomaly in the villa we stayed in?

• Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
    We stayed in a refurbished 1 Bdrm near HH (bldg 25) in January. It was our first stay at OKW and I was surprised there was no makeup mirror (magnified) in the bathroom. All of the other DVC resorts have them so I did not pack mine. Was this just an anomaly in the villa we stayed in?
    Nope, they don't have them. Someone told you wrong. There are none at OKW. BRV and BCV also don't have them.

Last edited:

AlwaysEeyore

Always Gloomy . . . except in "The World"
    How difficult is it to book a Grand Villas at the 7 month window for a stay in October or November (early planning for 2021)? Are the grandvillas all on upper floors? My Mom has issues with her legs and will have a scooter, don't want to limit us to the elevator building and lose out on a room. She will be in the master bedroom downstairs.

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
    How difficult is it to book a Grand Villas at the 7 month window for a stay in October or November (early planning for 2021)? Are the grandvillas all on upper floors? My Mom has issues with her legs and will have a scooter, don't want to limit us to the elevator building and lose out on a room. She will be in the master bedroom downstairs.
    It could be difficult for October or November with Fall Frenzy. I booked a GV in early June a few years back and got all but one night at 11 months out using my OKW points. The last night I got using other points at seven months out. June isn't nearly as busy as Oct/Nov and I didn't have a problem getting that one night, but an entire week would have been impossible. Most of them do start on the second floor, but I thought there were two or three HA grand villas that were on the first floor or were in the elevator buildings.

BillPA

DIS Veteran
    Note all OKW GVs are on 2 floors. The master in on the 1st floor the #2 and 3 BR are up one more floor. As Deb posted, only 1 or 2 HA are on ground floor, in bulding 48 or 49. There is also at least 1 in the #64 building with elevator service to the 1 st floor. Still need to do steps to get the #2 and #3 BR.

OKWFan88

Earning My Ears
    Can OKW hold your bags while waiting for room to become available? I'm flying in pretty early and will be at resort around 7AM to check in... I know the room won't be ready so was wondering will they hold our bags until room is available? We have the Ultimate Thrills VIP tour at 830AM that day and won't be back to resort till the evening.

BillPA

DIS Veteran
    My mistake, I thought the flight was arriving at 7. With a bit of luck the room could be ready. But they WILL hold your luggage.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

BUY DVC

SELL DVC

DVC POINT CHARTS

DIS PODCASTS