OKW and kids?

lacool

The second mouse gets the cheese!
We just booked our first ressies, and I was a bit disappointed to find that we couldn't get a 2-bedroom at BWV or BCV the week we wanted. We waitlisted there and made ressies for OKW. Now that I've thought it over, I kind of like the idea of having the car close at hand, and with the cheaper points we get to stay an extra day.

My question is: Are there enough activities at OKW to keep my DDs, ages 4 and 6, entertained? Is there a themed pool there -- obviously not to the extent of SAB, but something more like the one at the Poly with the volcano, or Luna Park at the BW? Is there a childcare center, like the Neverland Club at the Poly, for when the grownups want to have a quiet dinner? Thanks for any insights!

OKW does not have a slide at their main pool. There is a game room but I am not sure about what activities there are for a 4 or 6 year old. If you are staying on points and it is not a holiday period, you can pool hop to any pool except for SAB or AKL. There is in-room babysitting.
The units at OKW are large and you will enjoy the space. Enjoy!

We used the childcare club closest to where we were having dinner. We tried the Sandcastle Club at Beach Club and the one at the Contemporary. The kids liked the Sandcastle Club the best. We really loved our first trip to OKW. You might want to pool hop to POFQ. It is very close to OKW. Our kid's loved the slide there and it is just the right size for a 4 and a 6 yr old. Enjoy!

The Hospitality House does have programs scheduled that would appeal to your DD's ages. I am not sure of what they are currently doing but I have seen arts and crafts projects, unbirthday parties, etc. You will receive a schedule of activites when you check in.
Other than in room baby sitting there is not a child care center at OKW but there is one at BWV so if you are in the Epcot/MGM area having dinner you could use that one, MK area use the Neverland Club, AK area use AKL's child care center.

There are bikes to rent and my children loved the quiet pool because it was so warm. We loved the boatride to Downtown Disney -- don't miss this. It's about a 15-minute ride and my kids loved it. We ordered Pizza Hut to the room and that was a big hit. Also had fun at the little playground near the quiet pool. Thee are small boats to rent near the Hospitality House area. Mine were happy that Toon Disney was on the tv. When they are as little as our kids are, they are not so fussy!

Have fun. I don't think you'll be disappointed. While not the center of the action by any means, OKW has a restful, lovely charm all its own.

Thanks so much everyone for all the great ideas. I think I had been so focused on BW or BC that I had completely ruled out OKW. But quiet charm sounds quite appealing, especially after leaving the chaos of the parks.

New question: If we decide to dine at Spoodles on the BW, or the Cali Grill at Contemp., do we use the bus system or drive? Which is easier? Again, thanks for all the insight you board folks provide!

Originally posted by lacool
If we decide to dine at Spoodles on the BW, or the Cali Grill at Contemp., do we use the bus system or drive? Which is easier?
From OKW, it's faster and easier to drive to other resorts than to use the bus system. If you use the bus you have to change at Downtown Disney -- so with two waits and an indirect route, you can spend an hour by bus for a trip that would be 10 minutes by car.

There are cases when OKW transportation is convenient. We always take the bus to the Magic Kingdom. The bus stop is near the entrance (which beats the alternative of driving + parking + tram + monorail). There's boat service to Downtown Disney.

From OKW, it's faster and easier to drive to other resorts than to use the bus system. If you use the bus you have to change at Downtown Disney -- so with two waits and an indirect route, you can spend an hour by bus for a trip that would be 10 minutes by car.
Hmmm..... didn't realize this. Thanks for sharing.

OKW was my favorite DVC resort when my girls were small. We especially loved being near the Turtle Pond Pool area which has a playground next to it and a snack bar, too.

Now they are teens and prefer the excitement of being on the Boardwalk, lol. A time and a season for everything...

My kids are the same age and like the community center at BWV, but for some reason love the larger rooms, and the pool area at the main building at OKW. They also loved the boat ride to downtown disney!

We stayed in a 1 bedroom at OKW in June 2002 with our boys 4 & 5. If you want action packed stay it's not the place to be, but if you want realxing fun then it's perfect. Since there weren't a ton of children the boys made friends that they met at the pool and playground several times. Also, the CM's gave them more attention! The paddle boats, simple pool, sand, playground, balloons in the main lobby, and boat ride to downtown disney are plenty of action for small children. There are only about 8 people on the boat to downtown disney and the CM (name??) was awesome. He had the boys laughing so hard with his animal sounds!!
PS.. We went to the AS our last night and my five year old looked at our room and said "WHERE"S THE REST OF IT??"

Originally posted by djjsb
We went to the AS our last night and my five year old looked at our room and said "WHERE"S THE REST OF IT??"

LOL!! I bet your five year old was not the first one to ever have that reaction to the AS!

It sounds like the boat to Downtown Disney is a great idea. We'll definitely include that in our plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter