OI Meetup Vs. Express Pass?

CinderellaMouse

Earning My Ears
Question for people with OI Meetup experience...if you were choosing between a weekend trip with Express Pass, or a weekend trip without Express Pass that includes an OI Meetup, which would you prefer?

I've never done a Meetup, but we (2 adults) know we love Express Pass. Last year we had a 4-day trip with a split stay that gave us Express Passes for about half the trip, and we definitely had a better experience on those days. We are headed back next month for a 5-day trip with Express Pass every day through staying at PBH.

I'm looking ahead to a second trip in 2023 using the APs we're getting in January. It looks like it would cost us roughly the same to have a 3.5-day trip where we stay at Aventura, buy EPs for one day, and attend one Meetup, as it would to have a 3.5-day trip where we stay at RP and thus have EPs the whole time, but skip the Meetup. (Not sure I could justify the cost of staying at an Express Pass hotel for all three nights, AND going to the Meetup. 😂)

What do you all think is the preferable option?

We skipped the Meet-up this December because we are at UOR for 11 days with express pass staying at PBH.

However if we were only going to be there a few days I would for sure stay at Aventura and go to the meet-up.

That's a tough call for me. I did the meet-up last year in Dec and am doing it again next weekend. I love being in the parks late at night with low crowds, the free food and fun atmosphere. I am thinking since you have the 5 nights with EP in January, trying the meet-up could be fun, but since you will have the AP...toss-up. (I also have an AP but usually travel solo and stay at Cabana Bay) The meet-up does have good promotional rates at the resorts also, DH and I did stay at RPR last Dec.

My family prefers the meet ups and we are annual pass holders as well. We like the low crowds and the food. We like the unlimited butterbeer and eating at Three Broomsticks and other locations during the meet up. The kids like to try new and different things and the meet ups are the best time for that. We discovered the brookies at the cartoon area and the key lime cheesecake from the JP area at meet ups.

I'd been leaning towards doing the Express Passes since I know we like those so much, but all of the above is definitely making me reconsider and think we really ought to try the Meetup instead. Are the rides pretty much a walk on during the Meetup? (We can live without Velocicoaster and Hagrid's.)

I'd been leaning towards doing the Express Passes since I know we like those so much, but all of the above is definitely making me reconsider and think we really ought to try the Meetup instead. Are the rides pretty much a walk on during the Meetup? (We can live without Velocicoaster and Hagrid's.)

Everything except Hagrid`s was a walk on for us in December last year.

We did the Velocicoaster numerous times in a row with no wait, we loved the OI event and will do it again if dates align.

We always have EP when we stay. but as georgina described above, being in the park with limited crowds is an exceptional experience. We absolutely loved this event. We didn`t really take advantage of the food options, but many that did enjoyed it all......go for it.....I can`t recommend it highly enough.

Having the limited crowds within the park itself does sound pretty appealing...I am a huge Potter fan and in awe of both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, but I found myself often wishing last time that I could see and enjoy the theming better within thousands of my closest friends. 😂 And walking on to rides sounds amazing in itself, because even with EP you still usually wait some. (One of my favorite Disney memories is walking on to rides/being able to stay on rides for multiple cycles at MVMCP on a trip in 97 as a kid...it's really a shame that the Disney parties are no longer anything like that.) I think we may sacrifice EP/staying at RP in favor of going to the Meetup.

(Also we are going with the lowest level of AP, and will upgrade one level if necessary if Mannheim Steamroller gets scheduled on our dates, so no evening EP with our APs.)

Since you are also a Potter fan, the meetup would be a good choice just for that. Being able to walk through those areas without a mass of humanity is amazing. Hogsmeade does still get a little crowded but better than daytime. If you go to Diagon Alley late in the night after Gringotts is closed, it’s very empty. You can actually hear the background noise like the wizarding wireless by the creature shop and the hubub coming from the Daily Prophet office. I’ve gotten some really good photos that aren’t possible in the day. Walking through the stores and doing spells are a lot more fun without a ton of people around too. The train conductor and the knight bus attendant are usually there too, without the massive line…so you can actually chat for several minutes pretending you are a witch/wizard without feeling pressured to move on quickly.

Meet up for sure! The truth is that you won’t need EPs on the days of your meet up. Instead, you’ll sleep in, take it easy, and then attack the park and close down the meet up in the wee hours. You’re factoring in not just the wait times but unlimited food, and a nearly empty park. Want to take amazing photos in tve Wizarding World without random people in the frame? This is your chance. Want endless butterbeer? This is your chance. Want to try new foods with no risk to your wallet that you’ll waste money on something you don’t like? Here’s your chance.

Thank you to everybody who contributed here! This has honestly sold me on the Meetup...I was leaning towards RP with Express Pass and was expecting people to tell me the Meetup wasn't that special, but with person after person telling me to do the Meetup, that's what we'll do. It sounds really awesome.

Since you are also a Potter fan, the meetup would be a good choice just for that. Being able to walk through those areas without a mass of humanity is amazing. Hogsmeade does still get a little crowded but better than daytime. If you go to Diagon Alley late in the night after Gringotts is closed, it’s very empty. You can actually hear the background noise like the wizarding wireless by the creature shop and the hubub coming from the Daily Prophet office. I’ve gotten some really good photos that aren’t possible in the day. Walking through the stores and doing spells are a lot more fun without a ton of people around too. The train conductor and the knight bus attendant are usually there too, without the massive line…so you can actually chat for several minutes pretending you are a witch/wizard without feeling pressured to move on quickly.

I didn't even know there were background noises to hear. 😂 It sounds like this is going to be a very cool experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter