Oga's Cantina--are you required to order something?

Because people want to see the movies come to life and some people don't drink. And there aren't a lot of options if you don't drink. Disney didn't put enough Star Wars experiences in their land. I heard that the cantina was initially supposed to be the lounge at the entrance to some sort of dinner theater, but the dinner theater got cut.

I counted 9 non alcoholic food and beverages on the lunch menu.

I have dinner at Toppolinos this week. Would it be acceptable to sit at a table and not order anything?

I counted 9 non alcoholic food and beverages on the lunch menu.

I have dinner at Toppolinos this week. Would it be acceptable to sit at a table and not order anything?
I think a resort location is a bit different from a location in the parks themed to fit the area. I understand the urge, but I would not do it myself.

Because people want to see the movies come to life and some people don't drink. And there aren't a lot of options if you don't drink. Disney didn't put enough Star Wars experiences in their land. I heard that the cantina was initially supposed to be the lounge at the entrance to some sort of dinner theater, but the dinner theater got cut.

Do you think it's acceptable to walk through ROR without riding the actual ride?

This is very similar. Ordering food or drink is to Olga's is what riding I. The ride vehicle is to ROR.

It also seems to be the general statement that in its current form its not the best place to look at since there is no guarantee to really be able to see anything and walking around is not really allowed.

You can disagree thats fine.

I wonder how many of the people posting opinions here have actually been to Oga’s. It’s not a restaurant where you would be sitting at a table with no food in front of you doing nothing for an hour or more. It’s a frenetic, loud, beautifully themed place where people are packed shoulder to shoulder. The servers are barely able to keep up. My husband and I are on the small side and we couldn’t both fit at the standing table spot we were assigned. When the robot DJ plays the iconic music from the first (or fourth) movie, the lights change and the bartenders do a sort of choreographed clapping thing. The place goes wild.

It’s not like Applebee’s or your neighborhood bar. I doubt anyone would notice a couple of people not ordering anything, although it seemed like everyone had a drink of some kind. Didn’t see any food at all and we left after finishing our drinks - well short of 45 minutes.

Disney created Oga’s to be unique, fun and just as much attraction as bar. If a few people want to come in and not order a drink, I don’t think it’s a problem. And the OP, who also has actually been to Oga’s, said it was okay. Having been there, I disagree with those posting here that people should treat Oga’s like any other bar.

I wonder how many of the people posting opinions here have actually been to Oga’s. It’s not a restaurant where you would be sitting at a table with no food in front of you doing nothing for an hour or more. It’s a frenetic, loud, beautifully themed place where people are packed shoulder to shoulder. The servers are barely able to keep up. My husband and I are on the small side and we couldn’t both fit at the standing table spot we were assigned. When the robot DJ plays the iconic music from the first (or fourth) movie, the lights change and the bartenders do a sort of choreographed clapping thing. The place goes wild.

It’s not like Applebee’s or your neighborhood bar. I doubt anyone would notice a couple of people not ordering anything, although it seemed like everyone had a drink of some kind. Didn’t see any food at all and we left after finishing our drinks - well short of 45 minutes.

Disney created Oga’s to be unique, fun and just as much attraction as bar. If a few people want to come in and not order a drink, I don’t think it’s a problem. And the OP, who also has actually been to Oga’s, said it was okay. Having been there, I disagree with those posting here that people should treat Oga’s like any other bar.
Yup been there in DLR..still have the same opinion I've mentioned before :)

We were done before 45mins but I actually think the would notice if you didn't order anything as in if the waiter or waitress kept encountering people not ordering anything (you do tip them so pretty sure they would notice if this was enough people). When we were sat down a waitress immediately showed up, we needed an additional few minutes to look over the menu but they were back quickly enough and we ordered a drink each (we had eaten prior to going in though) once the drinks were delivered she came back a bit later asking if we wanted anything else though we didn't and had our receipt to drop off at the table. We were sat in the shared booths. Those people were finishing up, they def. had food and several drinks. When they left we were left with no one in our booth for a few minutes and then a group of IDK 5 or 6 women were sat down--they also ordered food and drinks. Lots of people had snacks when we were there--saw enough being delivered to the standing tables.

But yeah if you're going in with a reservation and don't order anything you are in fact sitting (or standing as in this particular place) at a table with no food in front of you doing nothing for an hour of more (though in this case with the 45min-ish time limit--though not everyone has had that being followed strictly).

I think I actually think you and I are of the same opinion in respects to a few. But I feel, like other posters do, posters are just saying they don't want it to become a certain way because people are making reservations but just going in to be in the atmosphere as in the few spoil the bunch kind of thing. Ultimately only Disney can make the decision but I think it's pefectly ok to express concern and hope it doesn't change because there was an uptick in groups of people making reservations but not ordering anything at all, especially when there are so many people who want the chance to try out all the different types of themed drinks (both alcoholic and non). I *think* I even remember them recently adding something more substantial in the food department though I could be misremembering.

100% agree.

What Star Wars fan (especially of original trilogy with original Cantina) wouldn't want to at least get in and walk around the bar and take pics if they could? Who cares if they don't order, they have as much right to make an ADR there as you do. They aren't stealing an ADR from anyone if they are in Oga's enjoying themselves, drinks or no drinks.

It's a movie-based attraction, not a neighborhood bar.
And comparing to just sitting at Topolino's is just ridiculous.

If Disney doesn't want people to do it, they will stop it.

I’ve been there twice, in August and October. My opinion is based on having been there. Disney wants to make a big profit on SWGE and this is part of it. Every standing table has a server assigned to it. They are packing them in and offering an assortment of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Disney allowed people to order only the cupcake and drinks at BoG for years. And then, they decided, “nope, now you’ll have to shell out $60+ for the prix fixe” when they felt they could be making more of a profit.

Do you think it's acceptable to walk through ROR without riding the actual ride?
I get what you're saying, but people do that all the time with other attractions.... it's called the "chicken exit". People love to see the theming of rides, but the ride is too intense (like ToT) so they stand in line and bail at the last moment. That's different than an ADR at Oga's since it is not an attraction itself, but an ADR.
It's a movie-based attraction, not a neighborhood bar.
It's a bar/restaurant (actually described on the Disney site as a "Lounge", "Table Service" under "Dining"). It's not listed under "Attractions" like the Star Wars attractions; Star Tours, ROTR, MFSR, Launch Bay:
Attractions in HS list

What Star Wars fan (especially of original trilogy with original Cantina) wouldn't want to at least get in and walk around the bar and take pics if they could?
As an original SW fan I agree, (yes, I am that old) and I appreciate people wanting to see it and reports of CM's allowing people to take a look, without an ADR, are encouraging. But even as a fan I never dreamed of making an ADR, going and not ordering anything. I tend to be literal and follow descriptions and rules so even thought it's not listed as an "attraction" I didn't assume to treat it as one. To each his/her own, as I've said many times in this thread.

And comparing to just sitting at Topolino's is just ridiculous.
There are a lot of other comparisons to similar restaurants with a "draw".... Like Raglan Road with the show, Biergarten with the show, Rose and Crown which recently went Prix Fixe for the fireworks view, character meals, Trader Sam's and other hard to get into or dining with a "show" places. Oga's is just that..... a restaurant/lounge by Disney's own definition with a "show" of atmosphere, theming and DJ Rex. People don't go into those other places mentioned without ordering something, at least none that I've ever seen.

Everyone is going around and around with their interpretations and definitions of Oga's, SWGE in general, what your admission ticket includes, fan interest, bar/lounge/ADR/etc. but it doesn't change how Disney itself defines Oga's and what their definition of an ADR is. When people were discussing BOG and the cupcake crowd it was all about how little people could order (a cupcake to share for a whole family) just to see the inside of the castle and the Beast. Now with Oga's it's not about "how little can I order" but "do I have to order anything?"

Everyone can and will make that decision for themselves, but let's not change definitions to suit our own situations and beliefs. And people did choose to make a dinner ADR for BOG and order a single cupcake for years before it was changed. People did make ADR's for R&C to have appetizers and sit for 2 hours to see the show before the prix fixe... It's not a matter of "can I get away with it?", but "how long until Disney changes things?" because people find ways around the current ADR system and Disney's bottom line is getting more money out of it's guests. And CM's are not confrontational or demanding, they will never say anything. Disney just analyzes data and makes changes quietly.

Honestly, I tend not to pay too much attention to people around me on vacation and don't really care what others think. The thread was a question about ordering anything with a highly coveted ADR and that's what the responses and discussion have been about. But somehow if you share your opinion or state facts and someone doesn't agree they bring up busy-bodies, morals, etc. I prefer to operate on facts.... an ADR is an "advance dining reservation", not a FP+.

I get what you're saying, but people do that all the time with other attractions.... it's called the "chicken exit". People love to see the theming of rides, but the ride is too intense (like ToT) so they stand in line and bail at the last moment. That's different than an ADR at Oga's since it is not an attraction itself, but an ADR.

It's a bar/restaurant (actually described on the Disney site as a "Lounge", "Table Service" under "Dining"). It's not listed under "Attractions" like the Star Wars attractions; Star Tours, ROTR, MFSR, Launch Bay:
Attractions in HS list

As an original SW fan I agree, (yes, I am that old) and I appreciate people wanting to see it and reports of CM's allowing people to take a look, without an ADR, are encouraging. But even as a fan I never dreamed of making an ADR, going and not ordering anything. I tend to be literal and follow descriptions and rules so even thought it's not listed as an "attraction" I didn't assume to treat it as one. To each his/her own, as I've said many times in this thread.

There are a lot of other comparisons to similar restaurants with a "draw".... Like Raglan Road with the show, Biergarten with the show, Rose and Crown which recently went Prix Fixe for the fireworks view, character meals, Trader Sam's and other hard to get into or dining with a "show" places. Oga's is just that..... a restaurant/lounge by Disney's own definition with a "show" of atmosphere, theming and DJ Rex. People don't go into those other places mentioned without ordering something, at least none that I've ever seen.

Everyone is going around and around with their interpretations and definitions of Oga's, SWGE in general, what your admission ticket includes, fan interest, bar/lounge/ADR/etc. but it doesn't change how Disney itself defines Oga's and what their definition of an ADR is. When people were discussing BOG and the cupcake crowd it was all about how little people could order (a cupcake to share for a whole family) just to see the inside of the castle and the Beast. Now with Oga's it's not about "how little can I order" but "do I have to order anything?"

Everyone can and will make that decision for themselves, but let's not change definitions to suit our own situations and beliefs. And people did choose to make a dinner ADR for BOG and order a single cupcake for years before it was changed. People did make ADR's for R&C to have appetizers and sit for 2 hours to see the show before the prix fixe... It's not a matter of "can I get away with it?", but "how long until Disney changes things?" because people find ways around the current ADR system and Disney's bottom line is getting more money out of it's guests. And CM's are not confrontational or demanding, they will never say anything. Disney just analyzes data and makes changes quietly.

Honestly, I tend not to pay too much attention to people around me on vacation and don't really care what others think. The thread was a question about ordering anything with a highly coveted ADR and that's what the responses and discussion have been about. But somehow if you share your opinion or state facts and someone doesn't agree they bring up busy-bodies, morals, etc. I prefer to operate on facts.... an ADR is an "advance dining reservation", not a FP+.

Fact. Disney allows it until they don't. You can make an ADR, go in and not order anything. As of right now it's allowed. There's no argument until reports state otherwise.
It's a bar based on a bar in a movie. Not a restaurant where you actually sit down to eat a meal. You can't see the difference of going to bar based on a movie (yes, it's an attraction even if not listed as such in the brochure) and not ordering anything vs going to a restaurant and not ordering anything?

If that person who makes an ADR, shows up on time and leaves on time, they are playing by the rules, regardless if they order anything or not. If Disney changes the rules to make sure people order something, then that's what happens. But let's not act like anyone is "changing definitions to suit their beliefs".

I'm curious to see what it will be like when we actually see it in 2021. If I have to get a glass of wine, so be it, I would have anyways.
But then I never would care if someone only ordered a cupcake at BOG, so there's that.

(and growing up in a dive bar/punk scene (which, I mean, that's what the Cantina is in Star Wars), I can guarantee you plenty of people go to bars and just order a water)

Last edited:
Fact. Disney allows it until they don't. It's a bar. Not a restaurant. A bar. You can make an ADR, go in and not order anything. As of right now it's allowed. There's no argument
No argument and I'm not arguing with you about it.... And you're exactly right, it will be "allowed" until it's not anymore. Same with ADR's in general until they imposed the no-show fee, same with BOG and R&C until the prix fixe, same with FP viewing of parades and fireworks until they imposed higher prices for the view in dessert parties. The point is not that it's "allowed", which is a loose translation of Disney not making waves about people not ordering on a dining reservation... the point is the more people taking advantage of it or making their own rules the quicker it will cost all of us more to get in. Mandatory cover charges? Minimum order? I can see it coming. But people shouldn't worry about that.... only what works for them in the here and now in what's currently "allowed". ???
If that person who makes an ADR, shows up on time and leaves on time, they are playing by the rules, regardless if they order anything or not
What about the wait staff? Non paying customers who aren't tipping?

People can also not make an ADR and ask the CM at the door for a quick peek if someone wanted to see it. That's also a fact and proven as some have done it. Perfect compromise for both other paying customers trying to get in and wait staff getting tips.

So you can get in line and before entering the bar leave. That is the equivalent here.

No argument and I'm not arguing with you about it.... And you're exactly right, it will be "allowed" until it's not anymore. Same with ADR's in general until they imposed the no-show fee, same with BOG and R&C until the prix fixe, same with FP viewing of parades and fireworks until they imposed higher prices for the view in dessert parties. The point is not that it's "allowed", which is a loose translation of Disney not making waves about people not ordering on a dining reservation... the point is the more people taking advantage of it or making their own rules the quicker it will cost all of us more to get in. Mandatory cover charges? Minimum order? I can see it coming. But people shouldn't worry about that.... only what works for them in the here and now in what's currently "allowed". ???

What about the wait staff? Non paying customers who aren't tipping?

People can also not make an ADR and ask the CM at the door for a quick peek if someone wanted to see it. That's also a fact and proven as some have done it. Perfect compromise for both other paying customers trying to get in and wait staff getting tips.

Sorry. I just dont go to Disney enough to care I guess.

I bet most people are in and out under 30 minutes if not ordering, waitstaff is fine.

Order dessert only at California Grill to see fireworks. Order a glass of wine with three straws at Oga's. As long as its allowed, enjoy yourselves people!

Sorry. I just dont go to Disney enough to care I guess.

I bet most people are in and out under 30 minutes if not ordering, waitstaff is fine.

Order dessert only at California Grill to see fireworks. Order a glass of wine with three straws at Oga's. As long as its allowed, enjoy yourselves people!

I think the thing here is not ordering anything at Cali Grill and going there to see the fireworks. That is the equivalent here.

People can do whatever they want but when asked people can share their feelings on it.

I think the thing here is not ordering anything at Cali Grill and going there to see the fireworks. That is the equivalent here.

People can do whatever they want but when asked people can share their feelings on it.

But at California Grill their tip would be smaller than those ordering a whole dinner. ;)

It's really a non-issue for me, I was just surprised people are so passionately against it.

But at California Grill their tip would be smaller than those ordering a whole dinner. ;)

It's really a non-issue for me, I was just surprised people are so passionately against it.

Some may be passionate. Others I think are giving rational explanations and when someones says something they view as incorrect they are going to respond.

Couple examples if I remember correctly:
  • You paid to get in to the park: Well yes but Oga's is beverage location for an additional charge (just like any other restaurant)
  • ADR and don't order anything: ADRs are very hard to come by for those wanting to take park in the experience and get drinks there
  • BOG being changed has nothing to do with Oga's: Actually its the same concept of doing the minimum purchase to see the inside when others would actually take part in the full menu (no purchase here vs cupcake at BOG instead of doing a normal order)
  • It's themed so I should be able to see it: There are plenty of places that is a premium to see including the Lightsaber shop and soon to be the Star Wars experience ship
As long as you acknowledge the above do what you wish. Just know you may negatively impact someone in the future who maybe just wanted the snack or a single drink to share among 2 people. Doesn't bother me as I am not that overly interested in seeing it until it hopefully calms down some day.

Holy cow!! This is a heated topic. We went to Oga’s at DL in August and it was a blast. We did each order 1 drink but the waitress was so busy she never asked us if we wanted a second, nor did she care. Nobody is going to loose significant amounts of money if you go and just drink a water. If you are standing you won’t want to be there long anyway. We were there 20 minutes. It was 10 pm, our feet hurt and we were tired but the atmosphere was what we were looking for. Disney is making their money off you, if you feel bad about the wait staff give them a $5 tip (cash) for your glass of water. It will be the easiest $5 they made all day

We went to Ogas last week. It was one and done. We; me my dh and ds were given a small ledge to stand at on the back wall away from Rex. The place was packed and loud!! Our waitress was nice but very busy and I watched a lot of the staff trying to keep up with their tables. I also saw what I think was some sort of manager having a conversation and guide someone out who had apparently come in with out an adr and was was walking around. We left after 1 drink. Glad we went and saw and yes I walked around the front of the bar to see Rex. If you go with an adr and dont want to order something please at least tip your server. They are busy!!

We went on two different days (with ADRs) in November and it was packed both times. Both times, we heard several people ask if they could just go in and look around without an ADR, and both times they were told no because it was at capacity... so keep in mind that just popping in might not be an option all the time.

We had a booth the first time and a wonderful server, and we had two drinks each (and she made a great tip). We had great booth mates and had an awesome experience. The second time, we stood at a skinny tabletop between the booths and the bar and honestly, it was pretty uncomfortable because people were passing through between us and the people standing at the bar, and it was a squeeze. Add to that fact that the gentleman standing next to me was a “close talker” and didn’t really value personal space. We only had one drink and stayed about 25 minutes that time. I’m glad they didn’t let anyone in just to see it and take pics... it was crowded enough with just the people with ADRs. I think at some point it would become a safety issue for the servers, or even for little kids who are “down low” and could quite possibly get a little squished.

As far as not ordering... I personally wouldn’t do it, but if Disney allows it, it’s not for me to judge. I’d just hope that even without ordering a tip would be left for the server who is expecting to make tips on every ADR he or she waits on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter