Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2020

Vaguely remember that Wine and Dine was sold out early April last year but then immediately following Star Wars more availability opened. Anyone else recall the same? Wondering if registration was so bad because they released a smaller amount, especially if on their registration page they list Tier 2 and Tier 3 pricing. Anyone think they will reopen the races at a higher rate mid April?

We still don't know what park we will be running the 5K, correct? Wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!

Vaguely remember that Wine and Dine was sold out early April last year but then immediately following Star Wars more availability opened. Anyone else recall the same? Wondering if registration was so bad because they released a smaller amount, especially if on their registration page they list Tier 2 and Tier 3 pricing. Anyone think they will reopen the races at a higher rate mid April?

I highly doubt it. The tiers aren't meant to provide additional bibs at a higher cost, they're there to encourage people to register early so that RunDisney has more cost certainty about their numbers. The only two sources of extra bibs I would expect at this point are bibs left unsold in the TA pool (very unlikely due to the popularity and people flooding to the TAs after missing out on registration) or bibs that are returned by charities unable to find runners for them. I'm not sure if the second option is even possible, as I seem to remember a change where charities have to buy the bibs up front and are stuck with them if they don't find enough charity runners. Not 100% sure on that one, though.

Wow I can't believe this sold out so fast. Any possible way to sign up with it sold out?

Seriously. I was NOT expecting that. Maybe they're holding some back in case they need to cancel April's race and want to give us a transfer? At any rate I guess I'll just hit the reg site every week or two and see if something opens up later.

Wow.

I highly doubt it. The tiers aren't meant to provide additional bibs at a higher cost, they're there to encourage people to register early so that RunDisney has more cost certainty about their numbers. The only two sources of extra bibs I would expect at this point are bibs left unsold in the TA pool (very unlikely due to the popularity and people flooding to the TAs after missing out on registration) or bibs that are returned by charities unable to find runners for them. I'm not sure if the second option is even possible, as I seem to remember a change where charities have to buy the bibs up front and are stuck with them if they don't find enough charity runners. Not 100% sure on that one, though.
And I know the charity that I ran with for Marathon Weekend is out of bibs for Wine & Dine. They're trying to see if they can get more.

Seriously. I was NOT expecting that. Maybe they're holding some back in case they need to cancel April's race and want to give us a transfer? At any rate I guess I'll just hit the reg site every week or two and see if something opens up later.

Wow.
I don't think so. rD shouldn't go into this expecting races to be cancelled. I think this was just a "perfect storm" for rD. The theme and anniversary are the big factors.

Thanks for the response!
Only counter point (which isn't really relevant until October), is that silver club RunDisney members are paying for "Tier 1" pricing. They are now incentivizing buying memberships for price protection, guaranteed registration, etc.; if races don't stay available long enough to ever reach Tier 2, Silver members aren't really paying for any benefit. Who knows, but with the difficulty of this registration it definitely has me saying "hmm...maybe a gold membership *is* worth it," which is good for runDisney.

Thanks for the response!
Only counter point (which isn't really relevant until October), is that silver club RunDisney members are paying for "Tier 1" pricing. They are now incentivizing buying memberships for price protection, guaranteed registration, etc.; if races don't stay available long enough to ever reach Tier 2, Silver members aren't really paying for any benefit. Who knows, but with the difficulty of this registration it definitely has me saying "hmm...maybe a gold membership *is* worth it," which is good for runDisney.
is it bad that my brain went to "did disney botch this on purpose to get people to sign up for club RunDisney?"

I was able to register last Thursday as an AP holder, and my 2 friends and niece were luckily able to get in for the half this morning. It was rough though, they all had the "spinning" for 20 - 50 minutes. By the time my final friend registered, the 10K and challenge were sold out, so we were glad we hadn't planned on those! Congrats to everyone who made it in - looking forward to a fun race!

Thanks for the response!

I think Club RunDisney members are getting even less than they think they are, if you look at the fine print for the club "benefits". The club does include year round Tier 1 pricing for Silver members and up. However, the footnote on the RunDisney site says that the benefit "is subject to availability". I read that as club members getting Tier 1 pricing at any point, as long as there are still bibs available for the race. If it sells out, your Tier 1 pricing guarantee is pretty much useless. The second benefit that gets touted is "A guaranteed opportunity to purchase one spot in one distance each race weekend through early registration***". The footnote for that benefit states that "All races are subject to capacity limits and may close at any time." Once again, to me, that sounds a lot like the current AP/DVC program. They'll make a small sub-set of bibs available that club members have the chance to compete with one another for, not a guarantee of a slot available in a race weekend. What will be interesting is whether they continue to allow early access for AP/DVC members or whether that becomes a "club only" perk.

I haven't registered for a Disney race in a while, the last one was The Tower of Terror Ten Miler about 5 years ago? I can't even remember... but it was the good ole days of it being run through active.com, which was a bit of a nightmare. I literally decided yesterday to do a 5 or 10K while we're already there on vacation. I did a bit of a test run to log in because I wasn't sure if it was through my regular Disney account or if I had to create a new runDisney account. Anyhow this morning I got onto the website at 9:55am (EST) and totally panicked to see that registration was already open (I guess I missed the whole queuing up part... and I didn't have time to check in whichoo guys to see what the process would be). Anyhoo, around the 10:03am mark I got the registration page. I have no idea how I got through the queue so quickly. :confused3:confused3:confused3 After that, aside from the drop downs being complicated and I saw at the last nanosecond out of the corner of my eye how to register my son at the same time, the only delay I faced was when I had to look up emergency contact info. My payment went through easy peasy. I don't have anything to compare this registration process to... but I am sorry some of you had struggles and were disappointed in the end. I hope spots open up!

It crossed my mind for a second too. But I think it really just was the perfect storm of theme/anniversary/timing that made this one go so unbelievably fast.

I was kind of on the fence, so I'll just keep checking back and if it's meant to be......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter