Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Here is the last certified (and still valid) 5k course for Animal Kingdom:

View attachment 262068

I ran the ill-fated Splash and Dash in 2014 and Half of a Half in 2015 and also ran the 5k both years. This was a fun course. Even on the out and back parts we saw the back side of Everest, various props, some staging of Christmas decorations that the "oompa loompas" were getting ready to put up, and some characters. I am excited to run it again! And although the first mile around the parking lot is not so exciting, it gives everyone a chance to spread out and have plenty of room once we get into AK.

I remember the running buddies I ran the 2015 W&D half of a half commenting it was weird the 5K was Christmas themed (jingle jungle),I guess I would agree since it was held like 7 weeks before Christmas and that weekend it was like 90 degrees,I have no problem with it,you could hold a Christmas themed race in July and I'd be good with it but I guess they do have a point.I don't remember what the theme was last year but this year fall feast makes more sense than just going straight to Christmas

I haven't run the W&D since 2012 when the course looked like this:
2012-Disney-Wine-and-Dine-Half-Marathon-Course-Maps.jpg

So, I'm pretty familiar with long empty stretches on Osceola Pkwy, but it was more difficult back then because it was a nighttime race and that meant fewer spectators cheering us on and less entertainment along the course. I remember noticing one solitary electric light parade float (it was tiny, maybe a butterfly?) as I exited AK (around mile 5) and thinking to myself "That's it?". And it was the last entertainment-type thing I saw until I got to Hollywood Studios. :worried:

I remember the running buddies I ran the 2015 W&D half of a half commenting it was weird the 5K was Christmas themed (jingle jungle),I guess I would agree since it was held like 7 weeks before Christmas and that weekend it was like 90 degrees,I have no problem with it,you could hold a Christmas themed race in July and I'd be good with it but I guess they do have a point.I don't remember what the theme was last year but this year fall feast makes more sense than just going straight to Christmas
It was Christmas last year (2016) and called Mickey's Holiday 5k (the only year called that). I loved it since they had all the characters out in Christmas gear, but yeah I guess going Fall Feast makes more sense, so hopefully characters will have Fall inspired gear on.

After the 10K is it possible to walk back to the Beach Club or is it best to take a bus?

After the 10K is it possible to walk back to the Beach Club or is it best to take a bus?

I believe you want to take a bus. It probably finishes in the Epcot parking lot. If the race starts at 5:30am, my guess is Epcot will not be open until 9am. To get to the Beach Club you'd have to use a park ticket to get into the park's main entrance at opening, walk through it and then out the world showcase international gateway to the Beach Club. Unless there is another super secret way I'm unaware of. My vote is bus.

Half marathon may be a bit different in that some people will finish when the park is already open.

So I did the Star Wars Half this year. The course was amazing. I am still a little confused on how they are going to get us into Epcot from the International Gateway area with all of that construction. I haven't been there since those fences have been up but I would be surprised if they complete that section in the 2.5 months needed before the W&D race weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yeah, like @roxymama said you'll have to take a bus as Epcot most likely won't be open to go through to use the International Gateway for the 10k, which you would have to have a ticket to do anyway. Although, if you have ticket media you could wait till park opens at 9 and cut through, but you may have to wait a while depending on when you finish.

So I did the Star Wars Half this year. The course was amazing. I am still a little confused on how they are going to get us into Epcot from the International Gateway area with all of that construction. I haven't been there since those fences have been up but I would be surprised if they complete that section in the 2.5 months needed before the W&D race weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
From what I read about the construction, it is supposed to be done soon. Or at least whatever part of it they're doing now - it's possible it's something that will be done in stages. But if not, it wouldn't be hard to just skip that jog backstage, I'd think - IG is still open, so it's not an issue of getting into EP, only of going backstage right there. They could maybe send us straight into EP and circle WS to the right to make up the distance.

From what I read about the construction, it is supposed to be done soon. Or at least whatever part of it they're doing now - it's possible it's something that will be done in stages. But if not, it wouldn't be hard to just skip that jog backstage, I'd think - IG is still open, so it's not an issue of getting into EP, only of going backstage right there. They could maybe send us straight into EP and circle WS to the right to make up the distance.

We are just home from our family Disney trip and that whole section where we typically enter Epcot was closed off. I had wondered how this will impact our entry to Epcot. I do hope you are right @PrincessV and that the construction of at least that section is done by Wine and Dine half.

This thread is a treasure of useful info, as well as knowing the logistics of races I use these forums for excitement purposes also! Lets talk temperature given the races start at 5.30/6.30am, Realise this could be a 'piece of string' question but what kind of heat/humidity are we looking at for that time of the morning in early November? Do folk bring throw-away clothes for the start etc?

This thread is a treasure of useful info, as well as knowing the logistics of races I use these forums for excitement purposes also! Lets talk temperature given the races start at 5.30/6.30am, Realise this could be a 'piece of string' question but what kind of heat/humidity are we looking at for that time of the morning in early November? Do folk bring throw-away clothes for the start etc?

It's pretty variable. I think throw away clothes would be a good plan... I just wore my running clothes and it gets chilly standing in the corrals, although it was manageable.

It depends on your tolerance for cold. :)

It could be anything, but last year the 5k & 10k were pretty warm/humid, I feel like the half was less humid and a smidge cooler, I feel like there was a bit of a breeze waiting around. Some people do bring throwaway clothes. I would at least pack some just in case you may need them. I had a jacket for the half but mostly just sat on it and put it around my shoulders only once for a bit.

m

I did walk to Epcot after last years 10K. We did beat park opening. We had reservations for the Parisian Breakfast so we cleaned up & changed in the bathrooms outside Epcot. Then they let us in a bit early for our reservation and held us at the ropes at the bridge to France. We did use a pen ticket (we had APs) and IG was open. However you'd have to wait for park opening to walk back.

I remember it being cool in the mornings and evenings this past year. I had a light jacket (actually the race jacket) on in most of my evening pictures. I normally use a Mylar blanket in the morning and toss it before race start, but I don't have any pictures with one so I'm unsure.

2015 I remember being super hot and humid. So it really does depend on the year. Anything goes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter