Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

All the talk of this course being like SW last year... I'm doing both W&D and SW 2017/18... does that mean I'm likely to run the exact same course twice?? I don't love that at all... ...

All the talk of this course being like SW last year... I'm doing both W&D and SW 2017/18... does that mean I'm likely to run the exact same course twice?? I don't love that at all... ...

You could be like the people that run Princess and Marathon weekend and run the same course twice in 6 weeks. At least you have a nice long break

If it's any consolation to you, I ran Dark Side this year and have been hoping to run that course again for W&D this year. I have no issues running this course twice in a year. It's a great course! (It's also far superior to last years W&D course!) Keep in mind with different themes these races, while on the same course, will have enough to differentiate themselves.

Do not complain about this course,have you seen the course from last years W&D,that was easily the worst half course in Run Disney history.The first 3-4 miles were spent on Osceola Pkwy,then you went into AK and when you exited you basically didn't see another park until you reach Epcot at the finish,like almost 8 miles of roads,and inside Epcot you only ran to the front of WS and turned around,seriously horrible course I'm glad I passed on this race last year.The old course before 2016 would be from WWoS to AK and back on Osceola Pkwy but then you hit DHS and the Boardwalk before entering Epcot,obviously the out and back to AK is not ideal but just like the full marathon once you hit DHS and the Boardwalk it makes getting to the finish much easier as the DHS,Boardwalk,Epcot stretch is the best running stretch at WDW,lots of crowd support and a lot to see.That's why I'm excited to see they switched the course,I love how this new course reminds me of the January full.I also didn't run Dark Side this year so I've never run this course before.
+1. I was not impressed with last year's course and while I'm happy that all of you get a better one this year, I'm a little annoyed that we couldn't get this for last year's race. :crazy2:

You could be like the people that run Princess and Marathon weekend and run the same course twice in 6 weeks. At least you have a nice long break
The Half in January and the Princess are the same course. Both go through the Magic Kingdom, which is a lot of boring road to get to and from Epcot
I'm honestly shocked that the 5K isn't the same Epcot course. All of the January and February (Princess) courses are exactly the same (except for the marathon obviously, but the first 8 or whatever miles are the same as the half). The Wine & Dine 10K course last year was almost exactly the same as what they use in January/February...they use that Epcot 5K course for 3 of the 4 WDW race weekends...heck even last year's Wine & Dine half marathon course was pieced together from the WDW half and WDW Marathon courses. :confused3

Maybe due to the amount of extra kiosks around the World Showcase - they rather the 5K be somewhere else. The field during the half/10k should be a bit more spreadout than the 5K so that is why those are ok.

If it's any consolation to you, I ran Dark Side this year and have been hoping to run that course again for W&D this year. I have no issues running this course twice in a year. It's a great course! (It's also far superior to last years W&D course!) Keep in mind with different themes these races, while on the same course, will have enough to differentiate themselves.

No Endor Fight Scene! I wonder what fun they will have in that dark stretch of woods.

The 5k for this weekend has been at AK all but 1 year (when it was MK & halloween theme I think) so it's not surprising they are keeping it there really.

Hopefully they'll still have some sort of light show in that dark stretch of woods, maybe just a disco laser show?!

I figured that the 5K would be in AK but was really hoping they would have it in EP. We can only do the Wine and Dine race weekend so we don't get the chance to run the EPCOT course like a lot of others do....bummed BUT I'm still going to WDW so the rest doesn't matter.... :jumping1:

I'm incredibly happy with the prospect of the Dark Side course being used. I hope they extend it to include Pandora. I haven't been there yet. Are the paths wide enough to carry the half crowd?

Can anyone provide W&D 5K and 10K Maps from last year?

And/Or the Dark Side courses that folk believe the courses will be the same as?

Ooh, and a link to a recap of last years 5K would be much appreciated....;)

@Ariel484 I'm going to go re-read your W&D recap from last year today. To remind myself of the 5k Animal Kingdom course and because I'm a recap junkie. :)
tenor.gif

I did both W&D and SWDS last year - as others have said this course is much better than the W&D course last year. So happy they decided to go with that.

There are a few highway stretches, but there have to be to get from park to park. But, with this course you get:

1) Three parks instead of two
2) A run around World Showcase Lagoon (as opposed to a brief run through the front of Epcot and back)
3) A run around the Boardwalk
4) A last 4 miles that's almost non-stop interesting and full of crowds, from HS, to the Boardwalk, to World Showcase.

If the race starts in the MK parking lot, is it possible to walk there if you'e staying at the Polynesian?
Maybe... they did allow it for Dark Side this year, so they may again for W&D. But people who did said it was a long walk, dark and confusing.

Do not complain about this course,have you seen the course from last years W&D,that was easily the worst half course in Run Disney history.
ITA - and I love highway miles! Still, that was way too much of a good thing, even for me, lol!

So, what are the chances the half goes through MK?
Slim and none. Emphasis on "none."

That's been they of it for those running PHM and the January half and I can attest it's still plenty fun!

No Endor Fight Scene! I wonder what fun they will have in that dark stretch of woods.
I've been thinking about this for the past day! I'm all for keeping the Endor battle, even if it doesn't go with the W&D theme. ;)

Hopefully they'll still have some sort of light show in that dark stretch of woods, maybe just a disco laser show?!
Ooooooooh, to replace the now-defunct DHS Disco Tunnel?! I could totally get behind that!!

I'm incredibly happy with the prospect of the Dark Side course being used. I hope they extend it to include Pandora. I haven't been there yet. Are the paths wide enough to carry the half crowd?
Not at all - the paths in Pandora are narrow, dark, and full of steps. I can't see any race going through there, I'm afraid.

Can anyone provide W&D 5K and 10K Maps from last year?

And/Or the Dark Side courses that folk believe the courses will be the same as?
Dark Side 10K: http://cdn.instantmagazine.com/upload/2425/swds17_10k_course_map.a7ac66bfd38d.pdf
Dark Side Half: http://cdn.instantmagazine.com/upload/2425/swds17_half_course_map.ffdef3698562.pdf

I can't quickly find a W&D 5K map, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter