Official Star Wars Weekends Thread Tips and Tricks 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be our first year without a pre-purchase photo package. I'm kind of bummed. It was worth it for us in the past because we pre-purchased the Archive Disc and it was good for 45 days after the first picture, so I could get all or most of the 4/5 weeks of SWW. It's gone up in price a lot since. We had MM free with our room package for FSF. I didn't care for the downloads, I prefer a disc. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, I guess.

I totally understand the disc vs digital war. Took me a bit to get over it. I will say that with the digital download, I was able to copy all pictures on a flash drive for each family member. This way, they could go through them on their time and modify as necessary. The only responsibility I had was to add Disney touches like borders.

I thought the Hoopla emperor was hilarious.." Cause I got mad skilz, that's why."

Don't see them doing anything similar this year.

keep checking. Some people cancel closer to their arrival date as well.

I confess that I have a 6/14 sci-fi breakfast reservation that I am waiting until the week-of to cancel. I also have a 6/10 reservation, but if our flight is cancelled (we land at midnight on the 9th), we'd miss the reservation on the 10th. If all goes well, I'll be cancelling the 6/14 reservation on the 10th.

Are there regular Disney characters (non- star wars) roaming the parks or doing meet n greets during SWWs at Hollywood Studios?

Are there regular Disney characters (non- star wars) roaming the parks or doing meet n greets during SWWs at Hollywood Studios?
all the regular characters still meet. The only ones that have a change are the ones that meet in the central plaza (where the Hat used to be) they will meet inside the Animation Bldg.

Not SWW related, but definitely Star Wars. My youngest son started climbing out of his crib so we bought bunk beds for my 2 boys and are redoing their room Star Wars themed. I found this pin on Pinterest on how to create a knock off Death Star that retails on pottery barn for $300 plus tax...we made ours for $30! More SWW money for us!!! 41 days :-)View attachment 87483

This is awesome! I need to search for this pin now! (Although I was going to do super heroes since it matches his bedding better…but now I'm rethinking…)

I confess that I have a 6/14 sci-fi breakfast reservation that I am waiting until the week-of to cancel. I also have a 6/10 reservation, but if our flight is cancelled (we land at midnight on the 9th), we'd miss the reservation on the 10th. If all goes well, I'll be cancelling the 6/14 reservation on the 10th.

I'm trying for breakfast for 6/14 for 5 of us (but I can split to either 4 or even 3). I'll keep my eyes out for updates.

So - Why do they only need "Friends" of Vader and the Ewoks? What do those guys have that others don't? Also, do folks get lots of overtime doing their regular gigs in addition to SW related stuff or are characters underrepresented at other parks? I'm fascinated by the planning that must go into SWW. And while I am a weekend 1 guinea pig this year, I think the problems I've heard of in years past are relatively minor compared to the scope of the event.
I somehow knew I would get tagged to respond to your questions!;)

yulilin is correct. The height-range is a determining factor for all entertainment roles, especially during SWW. This was always a Lucas production so authenticity, aside from Hoopla, was major.

Vader, by pure Disney Magic, can be seen at SciFi, JTA, in a meet and greet for VIPs, in a regular meet and greet, and in the parade! That's why there is a need. Disney casts SWW with show/performing CMs and those who are established friends with Vader also have other roles in FoF, Fant, and BatB.

Overtime scheduling during busy periods is a way of life for all CMs. Last year during SWW, DD was working 70 hour weeks with some days being SciFi > JTA > H&V, or, SciFi > JTA > Fant, or SciFi > Dream Along. When we were in line for JAT's show, we chatted with parents of a Food Service CM who was also working 70 hour weeks.

Disney keeps everything flowing, especially shows, at all times. I would like to see their scheduling software because they know where everyone is at every moment of the day. There was a day last year where DD went from being a friend of a Jawa then prepared to step out as a friend of a Padawan when JTA management alerted her that she was needed at Dream Along. Schedulers had to know which role was down at Dream Along, which CMs knew that role, and which CM would be able to get to the Castle Stage in time for the next show. It really is amazing!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Yulilin3, Itinkso, & all of the other regulars on this thread who continue to provide such detailed & up to date information as soon as it happens. I lurk this board just about every day, usually reading through my lunch! This year will be our 2nd SWW, & because of this board I was quickly able to book the VIP & character meals without hassle.

Thank you!

We weren't planning to go to SWW this year, but now can make it on the last weekend. So, of course, all the Galactic Breakfast ressies are booked. Anyone think some will open up?

We used Dining Buddy for a Galactic Breakfast and I got a notification last night around 10:30 and was able to book it, by clicking the link, not through the ap, on my phone. I had a 10:45 that conflicted with our FtF package after we were reduced to one SWW so I was looking for a better time. I got three notifications before I a) got a decent time or b) was able to grab one. But now we have it at the perfect time for our schedule so it was well worth the $8 to me! We'll be able to knock out Darth Vader and Boba Fett who are both must do's for us without long lines, which works nicely when we have an 18 month old in tow.

yulilin is correct. The height-range is a determining factor for all entertainment roles, especially during SWW. This was always a Lucas production so authenticity, aside from Hoopla, was major.

Vader, by pure Disney Magic, can be seen at SciFi, JTA, in a meet and greet for VIPs, in a regular meet and greet, and in the parade! That's why there is a need. Disney casts SWW with show/performing CMs and those who are established friends with Vader also have other roles in FoF, Fant, and BatB.

Overtime scheduling during busy periods is a way of life for all CMs. Last year during SWW, DD was working 70 hour weeks with some days being SciFi > JTA > H&V, or, SciFi > JTA > Fant, or SciFi > Dream Along. When we were in line for JAT's show, we chatted with parents of a Food Service CM who was also working 70 hour weeks.

Disney keeps everything flowing, especially shows, at all times. I would like to see their scheduling software because they know where everyone is at every moment of the day. There was a day last year where DD went from being a friend of a Jawa then prepared to step out as a friend of a Padawan when JTA management alerted her that she was needed at Dream Along. Schedulers had to know which role was down at Dream Along, which CMs knew that role, and which CM would be able to get to the Castle Stage in time for the next show. It really is amazing!

This is completely fascinating! Thanks for sharing @Itinkso!

I'm really, very happy to help as much as I can with this event. I've always loved SW and as an AP started going to SWW around 2003 but very casually, not really interested in autographs, just enjoying the atmosphere, I had my DD in 2000 so I took it easy. The first year that I really got into it was 2007 and because I didn't really plan for it I missed the opportunity to get Kenny Baker's (R2D2) autograph, and he has never been able to come back. From there I made sure I knew as much as possible about everything SWW so I wouldn't miss a chance again.
I've been able to meet a lot of people and actually some of them have become friends.
I love hearing all of your stories about your SWW days that's why it's a treat when I can meet people face to face, maybe just for a couple of minutes and ask about their day.
I've always been proud of the fact that this thread has never become negative or sarcastic, and we all truly just want to help each other have an awesome time.
MTFBWY

DD REALLY wants to be a friend of a Padawan when she is 18! Not sure how hard that will be to accomplish but it is her plan!

We used Dining Buddy for a Galactic Breakfast and I got a notification last night around 10:30 and was able to book it, by clicking the link, not through the ap, on my phone.

Thanks so much for this tip. I am trying to move my Galactic Breakfast back an hour because I am worried about making the parade, since they moved it up on us. I just signed up also for BOG because my kids loved, it and I haven't been able to score one for this trip. Just got my BOG within 1 hour of signing up, and I am crossing my fingers on my breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter