Official Star Wars Weekends 2014 Tips and Tricks

yulilin3

DIS Veteran
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and, no, I'm not talking about Christmas, I'm talking about Star Wars Weekends (SWW) at least the planning part of it. I will update this thread with any new information we get as to keep everyone updated on this awesome event that WDW puts together each year for us. A little background on myself: I'm a 40 year old mom of 2 teenagers and I love SWW. I'm an Orlando resident and an AP for the past 14 years. I've attended SWW every year for the last 10 years so I know a thing or two about it.
Here's some information about SWW:
It started back in 1997 with 5 weekends from February 21st thru March 23rd. They skipped 1998 and 1999 and then changed the weekends to all May from 2000 to 2001. Again they skipped 2002 and then the dates have stayed consistent starting in 2003, from the last 2 weekends in May and the first 2 weekends in June.

Dates were announced Dec. 19th 2013:
DHS opens at 8am with 2 Fantasmic! shows, at 9pm and 10:30pm during SWW (unofficially it opens around 7:30am)

May 16-18 8am to 10pm
May 23-25 8am to 11pm
May 30- June 1st 8am to 10pm
June 6-8 8am to 10pm
June 13-15 8am to 10pm

Celebrity in Attendance

Obviously there's no way of telling for sure but this is my best guess on when to arrive at DHS

Weekend I: May 16-18

Ahmed Best: Jar Jar Binks (Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace; Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones; Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith; Star Wars: The Clone Wars) ....before 5am
Autograph session: 10am, 1:30pm and 4:30pm

Peter Mayhew: Chewbacca (Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith; Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope; Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi; Star Wars: The Clone Wars).... before 6am
Autograph session inside ABC Sound Studios 10am, 1:30pm and 4:30pm

Vanessa Marshall: Hera Syndulla (Star Wars Rebels) ....before 6:30am
Autograph Session: 10am, 4:30pm and 6pm

James Arnold Taylor autograph session 10am

Ashley Eckstein autograph session: 3pm

Ahmed Best will be the priority here, even though people don't love Jar Jar it's his first time coming. Followed by Peter Mayhew and Vanessa Marshall

Weekend II: May 23-25

Warwick Davis: Wicket W. Warrick (Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi); Wald (Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace) ....before 5am

Jeremy Bulloch: Boba Fett (Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi); Capt. Jeremoch Colton (Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) ....before 6:30am

Tiya Sircar: Sabine Wren (Star Wars Rebels) ...before 6am

I'm giving popularity to Warwick Davis, followed closely by Tiya Sircar (Vampire Diaries) and last Jeremy Bulloch

Weekend III: May 30-June 1

Ray Park: Darth Maul (Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace) ...before 4am

John Ratzenberger: Major Bren Derlin (Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back)....all nighter, there's no way of knowing

Taylor Gray: Ezra Bridger (Star Wars Rebels) ...before 6:30am

All hell breaks loose...John Ratzenberger HUGE!!!!!!! it'll give a break for people wanting to meet Ray Park, lastly Taylor Gray (He's in the new movie Walt before Mickey) it'll be interesting to meet him

Weekend IV: June 6-8

Mark Hamill: Luke Skywalker (Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope; Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi); Darth Bane (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) (not signing)

Ray Park: Darth Maul (Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace)...before 4am

Billy Dee Williams: Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back; Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi)...before 3:30am

Taylor Gray: Ezra Bridger (Star Wars Rebels)...before 6:30am

Billy Dee takes the first spot, then Ray Park and Taylor Gray

Weekend V: June 13-15

Dee Bradley Baker: Captain Rex/the Clones, Bossk and several additional characters (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)...before 6:30am

Cat Taber: Padmé Amidala and several additional characters (Star Wars: The Clone Wars).before 6:30am

Tom Kane: Yoda, the series’ narrator and several additional characters (Star Wars: The Clone Wars).before 6:30am

Matt Lanter: Anakin Skywalker and several additional characters (Star Wars: The Clone Wars).... before 5:30am

Steve Blum: Zeb Orrelios (Star Wars Rebels) .before 6:30am

weekend 5 all voice actors...hard to pick but have to go with Matt Lanter (90210), followed by everyone else

Special Star Wars Meals: call: 407 WDW DINE for reservations Available May 4th to June 15

**Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine at Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic 1st Show - 2 DDP Entitlements Dinner Adult: $63.89, Child: $39.4
Starting May the 4th and ending June the15th, the Fantasmic dinner experience at Hollywood and Vine has been transformed into a Star Wars themed venue where Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Chip and Dale have all come together to celebrate the greatest saga ever told. The VIP's dressed as their favorite Star Wars characters, will meet and greet the Guests and interact during several fun Star Wars themed moments throughout the evening. Star Wars décor, themed foods and music create this intergalactic atmosphere seen nowhere else in the galaxy.

The Fantasmic! Dinner Package provides guests with a choice of dining experiences, with preferred seating at Fantasmic!

**Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine at Hollywood and Vine - 2 DDP Entitlements Dinner Adult: $59.63, Child: $35.14
At Dinner, everyone's favorite Disney pals get dressed up for Jedi Mickey's Star Wars Dine at Hollywood and Vine. Mickey and the gang join Guests at their table for an intergalactic celebration of the saga, complete with " Star Wars" music, interactive moments, and a delectable dinner buffet.

May 4th -June 15th

Characters (subject to change) : Chip and Dale, Donald Duck, Goofy, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse

**Star Wars Dine-In Galactic Breakfast! at Sci-Fi - 2 DDP Entitlements Breakfast Adult: $51.11, Child: $31.94
Guests can start their day with the Star Wars Dine-In Galactic Breakfast at the Sci-Fi Dine-In-Dine Theater Restaurant. Inside, it's a long time ago at a drive-in far, far away, where out-of-this-world breakfast delicacies are accompanied by thrilling movie moments from the "Star Wars" films. Encounter Darth Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith himself, along with a rogues gallery of infamous "Star Wars" characters, who appear to step right off the screen to join Guests as they dine.

Prix- Fixe Menu:

Guests will get a selection of pastries, choice of yogurt parfait or fruit cup, and choice of entree.

May 4th - June 15th,

Character appearances are subject to change without notice. Characters scheduled to appear during "Star Wars" dine- In Galactic Breakfast may include Darth Vader, Stormtroopers, Jawas, Greedo, and Boba Fett.

***Feel the Force Premium Package: you get reserved spots for the motorcade at 11:30am and Symphony in the Stars. Here's the link https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/feel-the-force/

Star Wars Weekends Characters Meet and Greet
Here's a great link with all the info on characters, this is from 2013 it's been pretty consistent the past years, thanks to Kenny the Pirate: http://kennythepirate.com/2012/08/08/star-wars-weekends-map-and-character-schedule/

REBEL ALLIANCE (“GOOD GUYS”) 8 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
LUKE & LEIA: near Commissary Lane
CHEWBACCA, EWOKS, EWOK CHIP & DALE: Star Tours
CLONE TROOPERS: Streets of America
C-3P0 & R2-D2: Darth’s Mall (limited sets)
QUEEN AMIDALA: ABC Sound Studio
MICKEY, MINNIE, GOOFY & DONALD IN STAR WARS
COSTUMES: Darth’s Mall (Pixar Place)
GALACTIC EMPIRE (“BAD GUYS”) 8 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
BOUNTY HUNTERS: Near Studio Backlot Tour
DARTH MAUL: Near Studio Backlot Tour
DARTH VADER: Streets of America
Star Wars Weekends Shows

Entertainment

*Stormtroopers at the Gate - Hollywood and Vine Intersection 7:30am Welcome Show
Encounter a duo of troublesome Imperial Stormtroopers while they ready a welcome surprise from the Dark Side. Their mission—to keep all “Rebel Scum” out—quickly shifts, commemorating the official opening of the park and the start of Star Wars Weekends!

*Boba Fett Patrol
Keep an eye peeled for Boba Fett as he strolls and patrols the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage. Get up close and verbally interact with the most relentless bounty hunter in the entire universe… but be wary, or you could end up his next target!

*Stormtrooper Patrol
Beware the Empire’s finest as they impart Imperial info and put on their own unique brand of investigation. Proceed with caution as you make your way around the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage or you just might become the focus of their next interrogation!

*Legends of the Force: Star Wars Celebrity Motorcade
Marvel at a grand motorcade featuring several of your favorite Star Wars characters and celebrities. The procession begins at the front of the park and travels all the way to the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage—concluding with a grand celebrity welcome. The parade is at 11:30am

*Symphony in the Stars
Cap off your day in a galaxy far, far away with a finale celebration featuring Star Wars characters and a frenzy of fireworks, complete with Glow with the Show effects. Character pre show at 9:30pm, fireworks at 9:45pm

*Padawan Mind Challenge
Join Ashley Eckstein as the host for a series of fun and interactive Star Wars trivia challenges. Designed for younglings ages 4 to 11, the Padawan Mind Challenge is a perfect opportunity to watch your little ones wield their mental force alongside popular Star Wars characters—with a few other surprises tossed in too! It's weather permitting and, as opposed to the kids at JTA, they do not get to meet with Vader and Stormtroopers if it does cancel
1pm and 2:15 sign ups at ABC Sound Studios
4:15pm and 6:30pm no sign up required
*Jedi Training Academy
Train, you must—kids under 12 can hone their lightsaber skills at the Jedi Training Academy.—and even prepare to battle Darth Vader himself! Here's a video (thanks d-r) that shows what kinds of questions potential padawans are asked when you are signing them up for JTA:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10103423636247334&l=5686320418028330867
8:45am, 9:20am, 10:05am, 10:35am,11am, 12:30pm,1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm,2:30pm, 3pm,3:30pm, 4pm,4:30pm, 5pm,5:30pm, 6:30pm,7pm, 7:30pm Weather permitting, if it gets cancelled they kids get to meet Vader and Stormtroopers

*DJ Lobot Dance Party 7pm Hat Stage

Adventures at Premiere Theater
Soak up the spectacle as popular Star Wars characters and actors appear at the Premiere Theater! Some of the scheduled events include:

Behind the Force: Star Wars Voices Hosted by Ashley Eckstein
Go behind the scenes and experience the newest installment in the Star Wars saga—Star Wars Rebels. Last year was at 12 and 1:45pm

Stars of the Saga Hosted by James Arnold Taylor
Kick back with your Star Wars Weekends host during a 30-minute, Star Wars-themed talk show that’s as entertaining as it is surprising. Enjoy an inside look at the fascinating lives and movie-making adventures with some of the stars from the Star Wars saga. Last year it was at 3:30pm

Stormtrooper Pre-Show
15 minutes prior to Stars of the Saga, prepare for a unique and immersive pre-show as it descends upon the Premiere Theater—featuring several Imperial Stormtroopers on a special assignment. Be part of the magic as this interactive and surprising presentation takes place in the audience before building to an explosive conclusion. Last eyar it was at 3:15pm here's a video of this years pre show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6bmXPYqik

Obi-Wan and Beyond starring James Arnold Taylor
Feel the force flowing as James Arnold Taylor from Star Wars: The Clone Wars takes his audience on a fun and fascinating journey into the world of voice acting. Don’t miss this Star Wars Weekends exclusive as James performs over 200 popular and iconic characters! last year it was at 6:30pm if there was a 5pm show inside the theater or 6pm if there wasn't.

Visit to the Maul: only happens when Ray Park is a celebrity guest. At the Premiere Theater. He shows his martial arts techniques and how he used them in the character of Darth Maul. Kids get picked at random (sometimes from the same line while waiting to get inside the theater) and he shows the kids a small sequence of moves on stage. Last year it wasa t 5pm

My Short Story: only happens when Warwick Davis is a celebrity guest. This was a new show this year and I hope it comes back. Warwick shares his story as how he got into acting and all of his roles. He takes audience volunteers to play different people in his life. Last year it was at 5pm. Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTaIFrJzgjU

Schedule for the SWW shows at Premiere Theater by Weekend
The ability to book fp+ opened 5/5/14 All the shows are in Tier One. From most popular to least popular:
Stars of the Saga - Visit to the Maul - An Ewoks Tale - Obi Wan and Beyond - Behind the Force

SWW I:
Behind the Force 1:45
Stars of the Saga 3:30
Obi Wan show is at 7:00

SWW II
Ewok's Tale 5:15
Obi Wan 7:30

SWW III
Visit to the Maul 5:15
Obi Wan 7:30

SWW IV
Behind the Force 1:30
Stars of the Saga 4:45
Visit to the Maul 6:15
Obi Wan 7:45

SWW V
Obi Wan 7:00

Hyperspace Hoopla: The Hyperspace Hoopla show was retired after last year’s event.

Parade
Legends of the Force Motorcade Parade: at 11:30am the parade starts of by the entrance and ends at the Hat Stage, you'll see the Disney SW characters, the 501st and Rebel Legion and a lot of Star Wars characters. Also you'll be able to see the host of the weekends and the visiting celebs. They end the parade at the Hat Stage where all the characters and celebrities go up on stage and have a once in a lifetime picture opportunity and welcome you to the day's events. Keep in mind that the 501st and the Rebel Legion march on and exit thru the gates by Star Tours.

Autograph Sessions
I will try to explain the process of getting a celebrity fastpass for an autograph session
There are usually 4 actors available to meet and greet during each day of SWW. The 1 hosts, 2 Star Wars actors and 1 Clone Wars Cartoon actor (not sure if this will be the case next year since they cancelled The Clone Wars might be replaced by Star Wars Rebels) Outside the gates into DHS they will post signs for each actor (to the far right of the turnstiles) Let's say Ray Park is coming next year (Yay Darth Maul) he is a very popular actor to meet. You must go to DHS around 5am and get in his line. Around 6am CM will start putting on wristbands for each person that's in line (this helps with people holding spots and then showing up at 7am and getting in front of you) Each celeb has a different color wristband and you CANNOT take it off until you meet the celeb of your choice during your scheduled time slot....Alright, so you got your wristband, now around 7am they start handing the celeb fp's. This fastpass will give you a time slot, let's say from 10:10 to 10:20 for the celeb of your choice. You can only get one fp a day. you cannot jump into another celeb's line and get another fp. This fastpass is not linked to the regular fp's inside the park so don't worry.
Now let's say you overslept and got to the park at 7am. Depending on the celebs popularity you still might get a fp's or a standby ticket. A standby ticket gives you a number( let's say you got #10 for Ray Park) you have to go to the autograph sessions with your standby ticket and wait for Ray to meet all of his guaranteed fp people and then see if he still has time to meet standby. Now the CM start calling standby tickets 1,2,3...There are celebs that are very talkative and almost never get to meet standbys but there are others who are very quick, like Peter Mayhew, he signs your item, takes the picture and you're done. This year Peter met with about 50 people from the standby line. So if you REALLY want to meet someone be there early.
As soon as we have a list of celebs we will have a better idea on what time should you line up for each.

Merchandise
Each year SWW offers a lot of different merchandise. This includes pins, toys, shirts, glasses, mugs, magnets, works of art, electronics. Some of it is Limited Edition and there are people who go on the first Friday of the first weekend just to get their hands on as many items as possible. This year they are offering a special merchandise event, Rebels Rendezvous, on Thursday May 15th. It's $250 to attend and you'll have first dibs on LE merchandise plus regular merchandise, here's a list of what is being offered: http://disney.go.com/guestservices/.../wdwmerchrebelrendezvous/RR_Catalog_FINAL.pdf It also looks like the Merchandise will be inside the Dlg. between TSMM and Backlot Tour

If you want anything SW this is the place to go, don't go to Tattoine Traders because it'll be a madhouse and they'll have the same merchandise at the big Mall. The Mall tends to be busier in the morning hours, so I always recommend going in the afternoon or before the park closes. Darth Mall will be located this year inside Soundstage 1 in Between TSM and Backlot Tour

General Tips
1.- Keep Cool: drink plenty of water and gatorade/powerade. We usually bring washcloths and dump them in cold water and put them around our necks. Don't wait to hydrate. I've seen plenty of people just collapse because of dehydration. Heat in Florida is no joke. Bring a dark (black better) umbrella and use it while waiting for characters, parade, anything outdoors
2.- Make a plan: prioritize, what do you want most of all out of your SWW day. And work from there. It's impossible to do it all in one day so don't let that ruin your SWW experience.
3.- Be patient: there will be thousands of people going to SWW that want to do the same things you do. Be patient. Be polite. I know the heat and the waiting can get to you sometimes but take a deep breath and just listen to that Star Wars music in the background and chill.
4.- Be flexible: So you made an awesome plan and you're ready to take in the day. And, of course, it rains just as the parade is about to start. Don't let that ruin your experience, just go improvise, have a plan B...and C and D,...
5.- Know your kids: There's nothing better than a picture with your toddler and Chewbacca, but some kids get a little affraid of the big Wookie. Don't force them to meet a character or go to a show (JTA Vader, Ventress and Maul can be intimidating) The characters WON'T break character, don't expect a hug from Vader, or Aurra Sing to smile...Villains stay Villains even if your child starts crying. What I usually tell parents is to show the kids the character before waiting in line (sometimes very long lines) and ask them right then and there if they want to meet them. Or show them videos of JTA and ask them before the trip if they want to battle the Dark Side.
On the same note, know your childs boiling points and don't wait for them to get to them. Again, it's really hot during SWW, and meltdowns happen even to locals. Kow when your kids need a break, go inside somewhere (Animation building and One Man's Dream are perfect for a break) eat and hydrate, and you'll have more energy to takle the rest of the day.
6.- Have Fun!! In the wise words of Master Yoda: Do or do not, there is no try....

Feel free to subscribe and I'll be posting some pictures from the parade and character meet and greets in the coming days.
Also don't be shy about asking questions, the more you know the better you'll plan and the more fun you will have during SWW.

And as always: May The Force Be With You :yoda:

So excited about this thread, have subscribed. Do you have any insight as to when the least crowded of the weekends usually are?

Yay! I really hope the last weekend is June 13-15 as my bday is June 13 and I can convince my boyfriend to take a short trip if its for my bday!

I love SWW. I went for my bday in 2009, solo trip and just did 1 day of SWW. I was clueless about the specifics of the event but had a blast! Went again for my bday in 2011 for a long weekend with boyfriend in tow. Then we went back for a trip covering 2 weekends in May 2012. Hope we can do a long weekend again in 2014!

So sad we will not be able to make it. We had a BLAST last year!

My only advice is to take notes and be patient! Yulilin3, Kenny the Pirate, and several others are amazing help! Our trip would not have been nearly as successful without them.

And I highly recommend meeting Jim Cummings if he comes back.

So excited about this thread, have subscribed. Do you have any insight as to when the least crowded of the weekends usually are?

Memorial day weekend will be very, very busy, the first Friday of the first weekend is crazy busy for merchandise lover. People line up from the night before to get their hands on limited edition merchandise.
So I would say weekend 1 will be very busy, weekend 2 should be the least busy of all the weekends. A lot of kids come out of school at the end of May beginning of June. As for days during the weekends, Friday tends to be the least busy (with the exception of that first Frida) since the locals can't go because of work/school. Then Saturday and Sunday are about the same.

Oh, how I miss SWW! I went every weekend from 2003-2009, so it's very likely we ran into each other sometime in there. But then I moved states to go to college and haven't been back (plus I felt that the event was losing some of its fun with the removal of the trivia contest and WWTBAM). I am hoping to return one day, and that with Disney's acquisition of SW there will be more than "just" merchandise, autographs, and talk shows for the adults (even with doing every event every day I tended to spend LOTS of time waiting around dodging from shade to shade waiting for the next thing).

I'll be following the news and living vicariously through everyone!

I've been to SWW once a while back ago. It seems like lately our trips are either right before or right after. This year we will be doing a big trip from May 12-May 24 so it looks like I might get to go for the first day after all. I do want to pick up some pins but I'm not crazy about waiting all night for them.

I've been to SWW once a while back ago. It seems like lately our trips are either right before or right after. This year we will be doing a big trip from May 12-May 24 so it looks like I might get to go for the first day after all. I do want to pick up some pins but I'm not crazy about waiting all night for them.

If they are limited edition they will be more desirable by people, especially those that buy to sell on ebay and other sites. But by the evening of the first Friday you'll be able to walk into Darth Mall (or whatever they want to call it next year) and not have to wait in line that long.
The people that make lines overnight are the ones buying large quantities to sell online, even though Disney has made some changes to this situation by limiting the number of LE merchandise you can buy at a time.
You'll still be able to find almost everything that first weekend.

I'm subscribed and will be following this thread with great interest. :)

We're planning on coming 6/6-6/14, although our dates haven't been solidified yet so it may be longer or shorter, but we're hoping to get in on some of the SWW action.

I'm a HUGE SW fan and it's surprising that I haven't made it to one of these before, but now I've introduced my girls to SW I have an excuse to indulge a bit.

I'm interested in the Disney twist that is part of all of this. How the park is decorated, costumes for the characters, etc. I really want to see Darth's Mall (clever name) and get Carbonite Me done. It might be cool to get a Clone Trooper of myself and the girls too if they still have that stuff. Pictures with the characters, both Disney and SW, will be fun as well.

What I'm very concerned about though is the crowds and the wait times for things. If the day is nothing but waiting in the Florida sun for *everything* then my wife (not a fan) will likely get bored of things and want to leave and we all know how kids love to wait in lines.

We did Build a Droid and Build a Lightsaber on our August trip this summer and that got their appetites going a bit for SWW next year, so hopefully we can pull it off.

With the crowd levels at DHS we may invest in hoppers so we can split a day during the week so we can still do our favorite DHS stuff that we may not get to during the SWW. I'm thinking we may want to have a day and a half at Epcot this year too so we could do half day at DHS (morning) then hop over to Epcot and do World Showcase during that time.

And not to open a can of worms (since I know it's not a happy topic) but do you think that FP+ will be available for SWW character M&Gs/activities? :confused3

If they are limited edition they will be more desirable by people, especially those that buy to sell on ebay and other sites. But by the evening of the first Friday you'll be able to walk into Darth Mall (or whatever they want to call it next year) and not have to wait in line that long.
The people that make lines overnight are the ones buying large quantities to sell online, even though Disney has made some changes to this situation by limiting the number of LE merchandise you can buy at a time.
You'll still be able to find almost everything that first weekend.

Oh good. Once the schedule comes out, I may wait to later in the day to go. I remember the 30th Anniversary day for EPCOT and the line for Mouse Gears went all the way into the World Showcase. It was a bit nuts but they were limiting the number of items one could purchase so I got the pins I wanted.

I'm subscribed and will be following this thread with great interest. :)

We're planning on coming 6/6-6/14, although our dates haven't been solidified yet so it may be longer or shorter, but we're hoping to get in on some of the SWW action.

I'm a HUGE SW fan and it's surprising that I haven't made it to one of these before, but now I've introduced my girls to SW I have an excuse to indulge a bit.

I'm interested in the Disney twist that is part of all of this. How the park is decorated, costumes for the characters, etc. I really want to see Darth's Mall (clever name) and get Carbonite Me done. It might be cool to get a Clone Trooper of myself and the girls too if they still have that stuff. Pictures with the characters, both Disney and SW, will be fun as well.

What I'm very concerned about though is the crowds and the wait times for things. If the day is nothing but waiting in the Florida sun for *everything* then my wife (not a fan) will likely get bored of things and want to leave and we all know how kids love to wait in lines.

We did Build a Droid and Build a Lightsaber on our August trip this summer and that got their appetites going a bit for SWW next year, so hopefully we can pull it off.

With the crowd levels at DHS we may invest in hoppers so we can split a day during the week so we can still do our favorite DHS stuff that we may not get to during the SWW. I'm thinking we may want to have a day and a half at Epcot this year too so we could do half day at DHS (morning) then hop over to Epcot and do World Showcase during that time.

And not to open a can of worms (since I know it's not a happy topic) but do you think that FP+ will be available for SWW character M&Gs/activities? :confused3

I'll start in the end of your question: FP+ no clue...there, that was easy.

As to the crowds...Yes, it's crowded but not completely crazy. And here's comes my first Tip:
Prioritize: What is the one thing you and your family want to do during SWW...Is it meet one of the characters? get exclusive merchandise? sign up for JTA or Padawan Mind Challenge? Meet a celebrity?
The good thing about SWW is that it's spread out thru out the park, although the area by Star Tours might get crazy sometimes, the characters are spread out and Darth Mall is all the way behind Rock n Roller Coaster.
With some planning you can have an enjoyable experience and not feel like you've been in lines all day long.

Meeting characters is going to be one of the hardest things to accomplish during SWW, I probably shouldn't say hard, maybe it just needs more planning. Some of the characters rotate, some only come out after a certain hour. But here's an awesome site that explains it all from Kenny The Pirate:
http://kennythepirate.com/2012/08/08/star-wars-weekends-map-and-character-schedule/
As Kenny says there are High Priority characters (the ones that get a consistent line of an hour all day long) and there are low priority characters (the line is usually 15 minutes or less)
So you want to meet alot of characters in one day, here's what I recommend:

Be at the park 30 minutes before opening (during SWW the park opens anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes before scheduled time) So if the park says it'll open an 8am be there by 7:15am

I always do Jedi Mickey, Leia Minnie, Stormtrooper Donald, Darth Goofy first, why/ because their line is completely in the sun and it gets hot, fast. So get one or hopefully 2 of the mentioned characters, then go to...

Chewbacca's line, very, very popular, but in the shade. By this point you should expect to wait around 45minutes for the loveable Wookie.

Then you can do Chip and Dale as Ewoks, they are right across from Chewie, maybe go to the Clone Wars characters by Mama Melrose, The Jedi Council by the San Francisco Mural.

Darth Vader is another long line but it's under roof and he meets during the parade, so you can meet him then. Expect 1 hour wait.
Then you can do Darth Maul, The Fetts, and the roaming characters around Backlot Tour.

I usually leave Leia, Luke, R2D2 and C3P0 for last because they are inside Darth Mall and it's Air Conditioned so I don't mind waiting a while in there

Here's a video I took the first day of SWW this year. It shows the lines outside the park, the lines outside Darth Mall and the general setup for characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBgyive7I4

Subscribing.

Will be going for the first time for my birthday - 24th / 25th May. Looks like I have picked a busy weekend (we will be coming straight from a week on the Fantasy) but can't wait to experience it for myself.

Looking forward to hearing all about it popcorn::

Bummer! We just booked May 9-18 and I was really hoping I would finally make my first SWW. Maybe we will get lucky!

Yulilin,
Can I make a suggestion for the thread? If possible can you put some links into the first post for things like the character priority post earlier and other useful posts that you and others put together? That way there is an easy reference from the first post.

I'd say organize it by different topics...Meeting Characters, Actor Autographs & Shows, Event, Merchandise, etc...

As long as last year's thread got I think it would be very helpful to have some shortcuts to weed through the discussion, especially for people who come late to the discussion.

Could you tell me a little more about the Padawan challenge and JTA during SWW? My son loves JTA but I`ve not heard of the other.:-D

Could you tell me a little more about the Padawan challenge and JTA during SWW? My son loves JTA but I`ve not heard of the other.:-D

The PMC is done on the main stage 2x per day. One show normally covers the clone wars and the other whichever movie is the 'theme' for that year's SWW.

The kids all line up and are given 2 light sabers to answer questions with and are eliminated if they get a question wrong but in the end they are all brought back and answer the last question (super easy, everyone gets it right).

Here's a video from a few years back.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b1fdMYqiV44

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!