Official Star Wars Weekends 2013 Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turnstiles opened at 7:30 and storm trooper show ended at 7:40 with rope drop.

Can you please give a general assessment of the crowd level of people who were there just to queue up at the turnstiles to get in (so, distinct from people there to queue up for celebrity FPs)? I'm trying to get a sense of what it will be like next weekend when we plan to be there for rope drop, but aren't trying to get any celebrity FPs. If we plan to get there around 7:15, based on your experience today would we be toward the front of the turnstile queue? (Yeah, I know next weekend is the last one so our mileage may vary:thumbsup2)

Thanks!

Karpkg said:
It will be interesting to see what will happen next year now that Clone Wars is finished and the new series is not out on regular cable but on Disney's paid subscription- XD. Ventress, Ahsoka Tano, etc. I asked Ashley Eckstein her thoughts and she said she's basically going with the flow and will see what happens. She thinks though with Dave Filoni in the new series maybe the old crew will be in it for the most part, but she's speculating. I for one don't think I'll be paying for more cable just to see/have Disney XD.

Disney XD is also a channel. I don't pay extra for it

Can you please give a general assessment of the crowd level of people who were there just to queue up at the turnstiles to get in (so, distinct from people there to queue up for celebrity FPs)? I'm trying to get a sense of what it will be like next weekend when we plan to be there for rope drop, but aren't trying to get any celebrity FPs. If we plan to get there around 7:15, based on your experience today would we be toward the front of the turnstile queue? (Yeah, I know next weekend is the last one so our mileage may vary:thumbsup2)

Thanks!

People there for autograph fast passes can get in line right after getting the pass. so if you want to be in front of them, you will need to be there before 7. If you get there around 7:15, I think you would be about 20 deep to the turnstile. You could probably still get jta or padawan challenge with that arrival time.

People there for autograph fast passes can get in line right after getting the pass. so if you want to be in front of them, you will need to be there before 7. If you get there around 7:15, I think you would be about 20 deep to the turnstile. You could probably still get jta or padawan challenge with that arrival time.

Awesome. Thank you so, so much!

We are taking it easy today. I almost passed out yesterday. My vision started to go black and my legs became like wet noodles. I plopped on the ground and just sat there and drank a ton of water and used my sons hand held airconditioner. Starting this morning with power aid and lots of water before we get there. Please don't flow on my footsteps. Stay hydrated and cool.

I hope you feel better...dehydration gets to all of us, even veterans of SWW. Last weekend I got a massive headache on Monday because I didn't drink enough fluids (water and powerade).

Thanks!

We went on Friday and were not getting any celebrity FPs. DS and I left the Beach Club at about 6:15 and walked over to HS, arriving there about 6:35.

While the line for people waiting to get celebrity FPs was long, there was hardly anyone waiting at the main gates. We were actually first in line at our RFID entrance.

Where you are in line will be determined by when they start handing out FPs. Once all those people got their FPs, they got in line at the main turnstiles. So the lines then grew rather quickly.

On Friday they let us in shortly after 7:30, and the rope dropped at about 7:50 if I recall.

Thanks!

We went Saturday 5/25 and arrived around 7:10, we were 5th family at old school slow turnstile and had a good view for storm trooper show although we did have to hold our kids up to give a better view. If you are aiming to get JTA or something I think you would have NO problems at getting a morning timeslot.

Have fun!

Weekend 3 is done, for me. Helping my sister move today.

As to my impression of this years event compared to previous years. I have given this a lot of thought. But I think they have improved in many ways, and others they still need to work on it.

The Better:
*Stormtroopers at the entrance roof was always fun, but I also heard that moving them from the roof to something more mobil was a safety issue, and as in everything Disney, Safe D begins with Me...I actually was bummed the first day I saw them inside but I have grown to love this new process, they let you thru the turnstiles around 7:30am and the stormtroopers come out about 5 min. after that and do their show...also having the sotrmtroopers come out on stage at several times during the day on stage is fun, since before, after you went thru the turnstiles you really didn;t see them talking, now you can walk by the stage and they're there a couple of times.
*Also love that they new a Good Morning show with Dax Lightspeed and Lily Denala, it's almost the same old jokes (what do we do with the Ewoks if it starts raining?...we take them Endors...) but now they've added funny commercials and a Gamorrean Guard as the weather man, this is done about 90 minutes before the parade and again later in the day...it lasts about 20 min., but gives you something to enjoy while waitingf or the parade if you're close enough to the stage...
*The new system to hold you ut of the line to meet the celeb until it's your fp time is a great idea, you can wait in the shade (if you find some) and don't have to wait standing in line, in the sun, with everyone else.
* The stormtroopers pre show to Stars of the Saga is better than ever...and it has to do with the fact that Disney now owns SW. I won't give out any spoilers.

The same old, same old:
Hyperspace Hoopla: if you've never seen it, it's awesome. But for someone that has been going to SWW for a couple of years now it's the same format...I know it must be hard to come out with new ideas, especially if the old is still very entertaining...not really complaining about it though. Still pretty great.

Needs improvement:
The character lines...first rotating characters, please limit these to only 2 per line, the Disney SW and the Droids and Luke and Leia is pretty ridiculous...you have the space, you can split these 2 groups and have happier guests.
The inconsistency between line rules. Some will let you wait for a certain characters some won't. Have a rule or don't have one but stick with it.

Loved all the shows, Warwick Davis's show was an awesome new surprise and I hope he does it again. Park's show is always entertaining as well as James Arnold Taylor. I also hope they keep James and Ashley as hosts, they are pro's and do an awesome job.

Weekend 3 is done, for me. Helping my sister move today.

As to my impression of this years event compared to previous years. I have given this a lot of thought. But I think they have improved in many ways, and others they still need to work on it.

The Better:
*Stormtroopers at the entrance roof was always fun, but I also heard that moving them from the roof to something more mobil was a safety issue, and as in everything Disney, Safe D begins with Me...I actually was bummed the first day I saw them inside but I have grown to love this new process, they let you thru the turnstiles around 7:30am and the stormtroopers come out about 5 min. after that and do their show...also having the sotrmtroopers come out on stage at several times during the day on stage is fun, since before, after you went thru the turnstiles you really didn;t see them talking, now you can walk by the stage and they're there a couple of times.
*Also love that they new a Good Morning show with Dax Lightspeed and Lily Denala, it's almost the same old jokes (what do we do with the Ewoks if it starts raining?...we take them Endors...) but now they've added funny commercials and a Gamorrean Guard as the weather man, this is done about 90 minutes before the parade and again later in the day...it lasts about 20 min., but gives you something to enjoy while waitingf or the parade if you're close enough to the stage...
*The new system to hold you ut of the line to meet the celeb until it's your fp time is a great idea, you can wait in the shade (if you find some) and don't have to wait standing in line, in the sun, with everyone else.
* The stormtroopers pre show to Stars of the Saga is better than ever...and it has to do with the fact that Disney now owns SW. I won't give out any spoilers.

The same old, same old:
Hyperspace Hoopla: if you've never seen it, it's awesome. But for someone that has been going to SWW for a couple of years now it's the same format...I know it must be hard to come out with new ideas, especially if the old is still very entertaining...not really complaining about it though. Still pretty great.

Needs improvement:
The character lines...first rotating characters, please limit these to only 2 per line, the Disney SW and the Droids and Luke and Leia is pretty ridiculous...you have the space, you can split these 2 groups and have happier guests.
The inconsistency between line rules. Some will let you wait for a certain characters some won't. Have a rule or don't have one but stick with it.

Loved all the shows, Warwick Davis's show was an awesome new surprise and I hope he does it again. Park's show is always entertaining as well as James Arnold Taylor. I also hope they keep James and Ashley as hosts, they are pro's and do an awesome job.

I would add that to cut down on the stampede at rope drop that they could do something to better organize JTA signups. Maybe a seperate line like celebrity FPs where they give you your time prior to going in. Then anyone getting to the park after official opening goes through the same old process.

That was the only stressful thing about our visit. Even though we were at the front of the rope, I could see people pushing through to make their way to the front. My thought is that if you were there that early you were going to get a spot so no need to be pushing to the front.

I will say that the cast members did a good job of keeping the crowd under control once the rope did drop. They blocked the stairs to Hollywood & Vine, so that issue was taken care of. Everyone had no choice but to go in the same direction. Being there early and getting signed up within 5 minutes of the rope dropping certainly freed up time to do other things. That was the key.

Leaving bonnet creek to go home. The lane going into DHS is crazy long and the cops are showing up I think to direct traffic. They'll be waving people in shortly I think like they did when we parkhopped in Friday.

He was confused about when I mentioned I had interviewed him, and asked if it was a good interview... :)

OK, I'm gonna be nosy since you've mentioned meeting and/or interviewing a few of the celebs previously . . . What were the circumstances that you've interviewed them? As part of your job? I hope that's not too nosy of me, but you've made more than one mention of it and I'm curious. :)

I can't believe it's finally our weekend next weekend. As always, I truly appreciate all of the helpful advice, tips, and reports everyone has provided over these last 3 weekends.

We went on Friday and were not getting any celebrity FPs. DS and I left the Beach Club at about 6:15 and walked over to HS, arriving there about 6:35.

While the line for people waiting to get celebrity FPs was long, there was hardly anyone waiting at the main gates. We were actually first in line at our RFID entrance.

Where you are in line will be determined by when they start handing out FPs. Once all those people got their FPs, they got in line at the main turnstiles. So the lines then grew rather quickly.

On Friday they let us in shortly after 7:30, and the rope dropped at about 7:50 if I recall.

Very helpful -- we, too, will be staying at Beach Club and plan to walk over to HS on Saturday morning. We aren't worried about signing up for JTA or PMC as our DS is now too old for both, but it's helpful to know the timing as you've described it -- sounds like we'll get right into Chewie's line so we're there before he's out (hopefully making for a relatively short wait), and then make our way over to TSMM and go from there. Chewie is going to be the toughest of DS and DH's characters they want to see, so it sounds like we should be all set.

How are crowds looking day by day this weekend? Really curious to know about today's crowds, as I am still planning for the last day on Sunday :cool1:

I'd highly recommend TSMM first, then Chewie. TSMM will open with the park, with a 5-10 min wait. You could be in his line by 8 and still be there way before he arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter