Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

It could be a staffing/cost issue.

There are less personnel requirements in WWoS than AK.

Brian
Eh, I doubt this. There are already CMs that go in early, like during the Holiday 5k in November a chef/cook was heading in and cheering people on. It's not like we'll be there at 3:00am. Adding an extra hour on to some peoples shifts in the am isn't going to break the bank, I mean they get enough off registrations, they aren't suffering where I would buy it as a cost issue. A lot of people are volunteers inside the park too directing/cheering.

Clearing the park before guests doesn't matter either, marathoners go through AK when it's open to the public so why would it all of sudden be a problem for this one.

Last edited:
Eh, I doubt this. There are already CMs that go in early, like during the Holiday 5k in November a chef/cook was heading in and cheering people on. It's not like we'll be there at 3:00am. Adding an extra hour on to some peoples shifts in the am isn't going to break the bank, I mean they get enough off registrations, they aren't suffering where I would buy it as a cost issue. A lot of people are volunteers inside the park too directing/cheering.

Clearing the park before guests doesn't matter either, marathoners go through AK when it's open to the public so why would it all of sudden be a problem for this one.

Oh I agree

Just thinking out loud that if it's 1 CM less, there is a $ savings. 1 hour less 'restoration', there is a $ savings. Right or wrong, the mouse has been looking to save a few/make some more $.

Unpopular, yes. But they are still a business .... and we've already bought the bibs, rooms and passes ....

Fun conspiracy theory.

Brian

Question for those who ran Dark Side last year -- did they still have a bag drop since it's a point-to-point? The last PT-to-PT I ran used UPS trucks for their bag drop, which worked great.

More couse talk. I also enjoyed the course last year. It was cool to do the three parks. The end was a bit rough, the last mile was a bit of a trail run into WWoS. I could have done without that.

I also ran W&D in November. It was a similar course, but we skipped HS. The rumour was that it was due to the construction, although the part of HS that we ran last April is not really affected by the construction.

I liked last year's course too. Other than the bus problem at the end I don't understand why people hated it so much.

Question for those who ran Dark Side last year -- did they still have a bag drop since it's a point-to-point? The last PT-to-PT I ran used UPS trucks for their bag drop, which worked great.
They did have a gear check but I didn't use it so I am not sure how it worked. I ran RnR Vegas and they used UPS which did work great but I think disney uses their own people.

so tracking here maybe (this is the first time it actually went to a page that said Darkside, just now, since I've started looking) start stalking for bib numbers, this could change though....http://track.rtrt.me/e/WDW-SWDS-2017#/

oh and the course map maybe will show up here.
Thanks for posting this link! I guess I will be clicking on it multiple times a day now to see if it's gone live.

Reactions: maw
They did have a gear check but I didn't use it so I am not sure how it worked. I ran RnR Vegas and they used UPS which did work great but I think disney uses their own people.
It was R'n'R I was referring to (I've run San Antonio half, Vegas half, Savannah full and D.C. Half) and love the UPS system. Wish I could say the same about the rest of their operations. Some of their stuff works so well, and others parts make me run right back to Disney...

It was R'n'R I was referring to (I've run San Antonio half, Vegas half, Savannah full and D.C. Half) and love the UPS system. Wish I could say the same about the rest of their operations. Some of their stuff works so well, and others parts make me run right back to Disney...
I agree, after that experience I get why Disney is so strict with their corrals.

:earseek: I don't think I've ever seen humidity at 20%! Here in FL, I consider it "dry" when humidity is below 50% lol!

, .

10% here is usually pouring rain. But we also get much hotter here. We already hit 90 degrees this year. Summer won't be so fun.

Went for my first run in a while today to test how my foot felt. IT felt ok for four miles so thats good! Now to try to build my mileage back up as much as I can. This stress fracture really cramped my style!

Yay magic band came in today. Not too early to pack right......

Mine came today too!

I have a small section of my closet with shirts for the trip, and I keep saying, I can't wear that, it needs to be ready for the trip. In 3.5 weeks. Because with 5 kids I NEVER do laundry....:sad2: :laundy: <<<<< x7

I do loads of laundry, it's just not normally mine. Although I will say that I did a bunch of running clothes yesterday. I have a small section of shirts put aside of things I've made for the trip. So at least I know I have something clean to take on the trip...which reminds me, I need to get going on the mountains of laundry all my boys create!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter