Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side 2017

@lovingeire Glad your foot is feeling better!!! Hopefully it's on the mend! ME tags are exciting!!! FOUR degrees yikes, we are done hopefully with those numbers here, teens are bad enough!

On a different note, we got our Magical Express tags today! Which got me stupidly excited about the races! And that beautiful Kessel Run medal!

Our weather here is so frigid right now! I woke up and the feels like was 4 degrees! FOUR! And I had planned to head to the gym to test out my foot I've been resting on Tuesday and we're supposed to get a giant snow storm that day. I've given the foot two weeks rest though as of this weekend and it is starting to feel better so I was thinking I'd try the elliptical at the gym this week and maybe a short run next weekend depending on weather so I can hopefully start working back up on mileage. But probably won't be where I normally would before Dark Side. I figure anything is better then nothing at this point, and so is having a healthy foot!
Ugh yes, our windchill has been teens...Below zero. Suuucky. 60mph winds earlier in the week...Thumbs down, I say!!!

It's cold here too. But at least it's sunny. I haven't run yet today, but I'll probably head out a little later. I'm way behind on training and am starting to panic a little (although at least I do know I can complete a Challenge since I did Lumiere's, so that's helping a little).

It's cold here too. But at least it's sunny. I haven't run yet today, but I'll probably head out a little later. I'm way behind on training and am starting to panic a little (although at least I do know I can complete a Challenge since I did Lumiere's, so that's helping a little).
to be fair, I'm "just" doing the 5K so my training is much less of a thing. :rolleyes1:angel:

On a different note, we got our Magical Express tags today! Which got me stupidly excited about the races! And that beautiful Kessel Run medal!

Our weather here is so frigid right now! I woke up and the feels like was 4 degrees! FOUR! And I had planned to head to the gym to test out my foot I've been resting on Tuesday and we're supposed to get a giant snow storm that day. I've given the foot two weeks rest though as of this weekend and it is starting to feel better so I was thinking I'd try the elliptical at the gym this week and maybe a short run next weekend depending on weather so I can hopefully start working back up on mileage. But probably won't be where I normally would before Dark Side. I figure anything is better then nothing at this point, and so is having a healthy foot!

I do not even want to talk about the nor'easter that's coming!!! >:(>:(>:(

Jealous of your sun. We haven't seen it for a few days. You've got time to train or just think of Yoda sitting on your back and saying "must complete your training..." , they should really put that on a tshirt.

to be fair, I'm "just" doing the 5K so my training is much less of a thing. :rolleyes1:angel:
Hehehe "just"! It makes me laugh.

I feel like I'd put a guess in for waiver/event guide day, my guess in the 31st, 3 weeks before. What's everyone else's thinking? The last few weekends have been 3 weeks out I think.

I've got a half tomorrow. Expecting some light snow tonight after some rain. Hoping for no slick streets in the morning.

I registered too late for this race to be able to pre-order any merchandise. Can someone tell me whether there are shoe ornaments for this race?

I registered too late for this race to be able to pre-order any merchandise. Can someone tell me whether there are shoe ornaments for this race?
There are, but whether or not they'll be available depends on how quickly they sell out at the Expo. Light Side had Yoda shoe ornaments, but they were long gone by the time I arrived at the Expo on Friday. There were plenty of generic runDisney shoe ornaments however.

Jealous of your sun. We haven't seen it for a few days. You've got time to train or just think of Yoda sitting on your back and saying "must complete your training..." , they should really put that on a tshirt.

Hehehe "just"! It makes me laugh.

I feel like I'd put a guess in for waiver/event guide day, my guess in the 31st, 3 weeks before. What's everyone else's thinking? The last few weekends have been 3 weeks out I think.
Well, don't get too jealous. We're supposed to get a snowstorm on Monday. I'm not that bothered by it, because our snow totals have been so low this winter, but I do wish it had come in January or February instead of March. Just proves how out of whack everything is - we had almost a week of 60-70 degree weather in February, and now we're getting this in March. :confused:

Love the idea for a t-shirt. I definitely need to think of Yoda to get through these next 6 weeks.

I think your guess for waivers/event guide makes sense. I'm going to go with first week of April. Going along with that question, does anyone have any guesses on event shirt colors? The downside to Dark Side weekend is that the color choices are pretty limited - things like green or purple don't fit well with the theme. So I feel like we're going to get similar colors, if not the same, as what they did last year (black, grey, red), which is also 2 out of 3 of the same colors as we got for Wine and Dine. I guess they could maybe do a blue or navy blue.

There are, but whether or not they'll be available depends on how quickly they sell out at the Expo. Light Side had Yoda shoe ornaments, but they were long gone by the time I arrived at the Expo on Friday. There were plenty of generic runDisney shoe ornaments however.
Availability for the Princess shoe ornaments sounds like it lasted a while, so if those can, hopefully Dark Side ones would too.

I had an ugly long run today. It's so cold - 3 degrees with the windchill. Our whole family did a 5k this morning and then I did another 8. Not pretty but it's done. Doing another St. Patrick's Day 5k with a friend - I'm really looking forward to it.

I told some friends you could predict the weather by my running schedule. As the long runs are longer, those weekends always have the worst weather :)

Happy weekend darksiders - it's getting closer!

Anyone on the Galloway plan only has two long runs left before race weekend. That's both exciting and terrifying. Terrifying because I have a huge work deadline to get through one day before I fly out for Dark Side weekend.

Availability for the Princess shoe ornaments sounds like it lasted a while, so if those can, hopefully Dark Side ones would too.

Thanks! The Yoda shoe ornaments were long gone by the time I got to the SWLS expo as well. Folks said they were gone on Thurs. I ended up paying way too much for one on eBay, but I love it :) I pre-ordered for 2018 Star Wars Resistance (still not used to calling it that!). Good to hear that the Princess shoe ornaments lasted longer. Maybe there's hope for Dark Side, although I won't be getting to the expo until late Fri afternoon. If they're gone, I guess it will be back to eBay....

I'm taking a red eye from the west coast so I'll be at the Expo when it opens. If I get the Dark Side one, I may well try to get the Yoda one off ebay.

I've only taken part in one race weekend (2016 W&D) and for the Half, it started at ESPN and ended at Epcot. If we drove, we had to park at Epcot and be bussed over to ESPN. As both of these races start near the TTC and end at Epcot, do you think we will have to park at Epcot and be bussed/monorailed over to the TTC to start, or will we have to park in TTC and then take the bus/monorail back to the car at the end? What do you all think?

I'm panicking since my mileage isn't where I'd like it to be, but I've done a few challenges so I know I'll finish, but being more prepared helps me enjoy it a bit more! LOL!

I do not even want to talk about the nor'easter that's coming!!! >:(>:(>:(

Seriously freaking out about all the snow we're supposed to get here!!!!! :scared:

Going along with that question, does anyone have any guesses on event shirt colors? The downside to Dark Side weekend is that the color choices are pretty limited - things like green or purple don't fit well with the theme. So I feel like we're going to get similar colors, if not the same, as what they did last year (black, grey, red), which is also 2 out of 3 of the same colors as we got for Wine and Dine. I guess they could maybe do a blue or navy blue.

Those color choices sound about what I would expect, although that bright green of the 5K medal would be an interesting color choice for a shirt.

As for the shoe ornaments. I don't normally do pre-orders, but then they haven't had these special shoe ornaments until recently. A friend picked up the LS one for me in January who had the early shopping thing. I'll be at the DS expo at opening so hopefully I'll be able to score one. Guess from now on I'll preorder one. (Although I just looked at the W&D merch and I don't really want the Tervis, because I prefer the flip top ones, but I want the ornament so I guess I need to keep plannign to be at the expo at opening.

As for the shoe ornaments. I don't normally do pre-orders, but then they haven't had these special shoe ornaments until recently. A friend picked up the LS one for me in January who had the early shopping thing. I'll be at the DS expo at opening so hopefully I'll be able to score one. Guess from now on I'll preorder one. (Although I just looked at the W&D merch and I don't really want the Tervis, because I prefer the flip top ones, but I want the ornament so I guess I need to keep plannign to be at the expo at opening.

I know. I was somewhat annoyed that the only way to pre-order the 2018 SW shoe ornament was in a bundle with a figurine. Maybe I'll end up liking the figurine but I would have much preferred to be able to order the ornament alone. Good marketing on rD's part, I guess, since I ended up ordering the bundle. And it was still less than I paid for the ornament alone on eBay, LOL!

does anyone have any guesses on event shirt colors?
Yeah, I'm sure black, grey, red and maybe blue/navy. A green would be cool I think. I'm okay if they don't do a white as me and white clothes don't go well together! Yeah, the weather is nuts for sure, while running this week I was thinking of which weekend I have liked to train for better based on weather and so far Wine & Dine wins out then Darkside has been tied with Jan marathon, but Darkside should get the edge with hopefully warmer temps on the way leading up to it.

As the long runs are longer, those weekends always have the worst weather
brrr 3 windchill is where I draw the line now, I just don't run right, my feet never thaw and I had my leg go out a few months back. But good for you getting it done!

I've got a half tomorrow. Expecting some light snow tonight after some rain. Hoping for no slick streets in the morning.
Good Luck! I'm so glad we didn't get any snow yesterday, it went farther south of us (Nebraska). Hopefully it will be dry for you!

I've only taken part in one race weekend (2016 W&D) and for the Half, it started at ESPN and ended at Epcot. If we drove, we had to park at Epcot and be bussed over to ESPN. As both of these races start near the TTC and end at Epcot, do you think we will have to park at Epcot and be bussed/monorailed over to the TTC to start, or will we have to park in TTC and then take the bus/monorail back to the car at the end? What do you all think?
No clue, it could easily go either way. Hopefully it will be spelled out clearly in the guide coming out hopefully in the next 3ish weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter