OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

It's 1230pm and the cart is as decorated as it's going to get. I had enough random stuff to stick on it so that it won't be the WORST decorated cart in the parade. (at least I hope).

We went out for a spin on this cool, bright, blue, breezy day and afterwards dad noticed a lime/orange tree growing next to the sidewalk between 100 loop and the Settlement bus depot. It was bearing fruit but the lower fruit had already been picked (as the saying goes). So together we worked it out.

Here is the location-look at the top and you can see a round fruit in the sun:

20171030_121058.jpg

20171030_121109.jpg

Mission accomplished.

20171030_121142.jpg

And the two are back at the site with us.

20171030_121710.jpg

Lunch and then prep for the pet parade, golf cart parade, and turn in the pumpkin for judging. Then comes all the night activities.

Bama Ed

It's 1230pm and the cart is as decorated as it's going to get. I had enough random stuff to stick on it so that it won't be the WORST decorated cart in the parade. (at least I hope).

We went out for a spin on this cool, bright, blue, breezy day and afterwards dad noticed a lime/orange tree growing next to the sidewalk between 100 loop and the Settlement bus depot. It was bearing fruit but the lower fruit had already been picked (as the saying goes). So together we worked it out.

Here is the location-look at the top and you can see a round fruit in the sun:

View attachment 280418

View attachment 280419

Mission accomplished.

View attachment 280420

And the two are back at the site with us.

View attachment 280421

Lunch and then prep for the pet parade, golf cart parade, and turn in the pumpkin for judging. Then comes all the night activities.

Bama Ed

We are at our site, I have some extra stuff for your cart, come by if you have time.

I use same one. Ed mentioned the marker.

It has three separate parking areas with the one in back being for RV and trucks pulling trailers. Big rigs get the front parking lot closest to the interstate. 24 hour security and EXACTLY one hour from FW if you come in on the Western Way.

We tried this after reading about it here and spent a few hours here on our trip down in early October. We didn't pull in until around 3:00am and the semi lot was full and overflowed into the RV lot. We found a spot, but it was like driving through a corn maze. This was the first time pulling our new camper to The Fort; rest areas have a whole new meaning when you can crawl into a bed.

The stop near Ocala is MM 346, and we found it to be closer to an hour and 15 minutes; my old truck can't pull the new camper that fast. We pulled into The Fort about 7:30am and were rewarded with site 1809, on the canal with the deer and turkeys.

Another early morning ride to watch the sunrise and the wildlife. So peaceful and beautiful. Had a great visit with Ed and his dad after our ride. We headed off to DS for some lunch and window shopping. We ate at the Polite Pig, it was very good. We are now back at camp relaxing and waiting for the parade and nighttime activities.
IMG_0774.JPG IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG

Yep, I like the second picture also ... reminds me of college days ... not me of course :crazy2:

We tried this after reading about it here and spent a few hours here on our trip down in early October. We didn't pull in until around 3:00am and the semi lot was full and overflowed into the RV lot. We found a spot, but it was like driving through a corn maze. This was the first time pulling our new camper to The Fort; rest areas have a whole new meaning when you can crawl into a bed.

The stop near Ocala is MM 346, and we found it to be closer to an hour and 15 minutes; my old truck can't pull the new camper that fast. We pulled into The Fort about 7:30am and were rewarded with site 1809, on the canal with the deer and turkeys.
Dalir be careful When we were in 1811 2 sites opposite you we watched every morning the Turkeys cross the canal and come into the area right in front of your site

Real quick, great golf cart parade. More later.

Here are the top two golf carts in each category on display down by TE.

Top 2 in Fort themed - a replica of the Fort Food Truck and a cart full of Fort Life Guards (they did a dance step together for the judges):

20171030_172213.jpg

Top 2 Overall - Steamboat Willie (who was right behind my cart the whole way) and The Mad Hatter (with a live actor as the Hatter):

20171030_172411.jpg

20171030_172500.jpg

Top 2 Disney Themed: Wall-E and a Moana? boat:

20171030_172933.jpg

Also some terrific cut-throat submissions in the pumpkin decorating category. More on all these later. Beach bash in a few minutes.

Bama Ed

I have checked in, got my golf cart early, and enjoying the dark morning fog.

Would that happed to be a Disney cart, and if so how, other than being royalty, did you get it that early? At least one inquiring mind wants to know.

Great job on the pics and the TR. Sorry to hear that it is cold down there, :cold: at least to you southerners anyway.

No pics of your cart?

Great other pics though. There are some really creative people out there.

j

Real quick, great golf cart parade. More later.

Here are the top two golf carts in each category on display down by TE.

Top 2 in Fort themed - a replica of the Fort Food Truck and a cart full of Fort Life Guards (they did a dance step together for the judges):

View attachment 280575

Top 2 Overall - Steamboat Willie (who was right behind my cart the whole way) and The Mad Hatter (with a live actor as the Hatter):

View attachment 280576

View attachment 280577

Top 2 Disney Themed: Wall-E and a Moana? boat:

View attachment 280579

Also some terrific cut-throat submissions in the pumpkin decorating category. More on all these later. Beach bash in a few minutes.

Bama Ed

The guy as the Hatbox ghost is very cool. Of course it is from the Disneyland Haunted Mansion, so they are on the wrong coast, but awesome just the same.

Would that happed to be a Disney cart, and if so how, other than being royalty, did you get it that early? At least one inquiring mind wants to know.

Great job on the pics and the TR. Sorry to hear that it is cold down there, :cold: at least to you southerners anyway.

It was a Disney cart and I'm not ashamed to say it, I used the charm offensive.

Dad and I walked in the lobby at 630am (no text because the loop had been full the night before) and it was empty except for a Cast Member and a Manager. So I said I was there to check in and get a golf cart. The CM said alright we can check you in but gc pickup is 1pm. Oh okay, I says. The CM was from Atlanta GA on her name tag so I kibitzed about the GA-FL game the day before. And I was wearing a Boy Scout t-shirt and the Manager said she was from a big time Scouting family and knew a lot about it so we kibitzed on that topic.

I knew I would probably have to wait for the site but then I played dumb (not hard) and asked how did the GC pick up work (where, when, whom to see). The Manager lady waved her hand and said, "let me see what I can do now".

BOOM! At 640am I had a cart. And in my best hang dog look and sad eyes, I did have my elderly father to wait with. :rolleyes1

On to cart, cart, cart pictures and stories.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
So as I posted earlier in this thread, I am a "one and done" Fort Halloween guest. That means as it pertained to the golf cart parade, I was willing to shell out a minimal investment. My plan, then, was to settle for the best decorations Dollar General had to offer. I didn't have to be the best decorated cart in the parade but I didn't want to be the worst either. tltay2005 had a leftover decoration that I put on the roof.

Anyway, here it was:

20171030_114024.jpg

20171030_114045.jpg

20171030_114052.jpg 20171030_114103.jpg

And here is Terri's roof top addition:

20171030_151256.jpg

A big ol hairy spider.

Dad drove the cart in the parade and I rode shotgun. Flametamr and his DD rode in back throwing candy and waving.

We picked them up and headed for the hitch un-hitch area to line up. As I said, Steamboat Willie was right behind me.

20171030_153724.jpg
20171030_153745.jpg

20171030_153805.jpg

20171030_155003.jpg

There were so many carts and so many were very clever. Here was the scene lining up.

20171030_155157.jpg

More to come.

Bama Ed

I've already posted the finalists for the GC competitions earlier. But I do want to say hello here to a fellow DIS'ser.

All the time we've been here and gone through 700 loop, there was a trailer with a DIS sign for our guy FLBBQMAN and a very distinctive cart. But nobody's ever been outside, etc. to stop and chat with. But in the parade lineup I saw the cart and asked if he was Ryan, his name that he has used with his DIS name occasionally, and he said he was so I introduced myself. A very nice man, I met his DW while waiting too, and I asked if I could take his picture. Love his GC. He's been in past Halloween gc parades and hopefully we can get this year's posted soon too. So here he is.

20171030_154051.jpg

Ryan, nice to meet you. Please come by 125 some time and chat when we're not so busy.

I will add that I was in costume during the GC parade. Again, a Dollar General original.

20171030_151146.jpg

Before the GC I forgot to say there was the pet parade at the dog park. Everybody checked in and lined up:

20171030_140248.jpg

It was cute.

20171030_140937.jpg

The little guy below had a little stuffed horse jockey on top of his back.

20171030_141503.jpg

20171030_141213.jpg

Parking was tight for the pet parade. They used the interior of 300 loop....

20171030_142359.jpg

20171030_142338.jpg

It's 9pm now and fireworks are going off. Gonna check in at home then head back for the Beach Bash to hear the winners of the pet, GC, and site decorating contests announced.

Bama Ed

PS - that makes seven DIS'sers I've met and spoken with here this trip.

Ed I've been to 8 county fairs and one goat rodeo and I ain't never seen such cart . Did your dad dress as Rick Grimes and you as his son Carl Right Coral

Dalir be careful When we were in 1811 2 sites opposite you we watched every morning the Turkeys cross the canal and come into the area right in front of your site
They came within 2 feet of us! A whole bunch strolled right between the camper and the picnic table!! We also say deer just a little bit further away!! Loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter