OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 pretrip and trip report!

We saw the deer across the canal every morning and evening while we walked the Girls Funny story WookieBear was being a selfish girl one morning and wouldn't go for more Daddy time. We went to far end and while were there the Turkeys came over. When we finally headed for the coach we made the opening and there were 3 still behind the bush in front of your site. We passed the bush and they took off Scaring more urine out of her than I had ever seen her pass

Great looking cart Ed. Not Top Tier, but honorable... Much better than I would have come up with.

Nice job tracking down FLBBQMAN.

Looks like a great DIS Meet/trip.

j

Ed, I thought you said you bought a costume...:confused3

What were you expecting? Captain Jack Sparrow? I know how to say, "what happened to all the rum?" if need be. pirate:

I'll list the pet, site, pumpkin, and GC winners in the morning. Wrote them all down at the Beach Bash.

Bama Ed

MORNING EDIT - Dad tells me I missed the joke. Yes, that is my normal parenting look that goes with the phrase: "you did WHAT to the car?".

Last edited:

Good morning. Dad went on a walk-a-bout so I am holding off on cooking breakfast to provide the results from last night's big competitions:

Best Golf Carts (refer to prior page post #771 for pix):

• Best Disney themed: Wall-E
  • Best Fort Wilderness themed: Food Truck
  • Best Overall themed: Steamboat Willie (who, again, was immediately behind my cart in the parade-heard Willie whistling the whole way)
Pet Parade Awards (I have no pix of specific dogs just the earlier "atmosphere photos":)

• Best Halloween Costume: Skeleton Dave #81
  • Best Funny Costume: Gumball Machine #84
  • Best Disney Costume: Little Mermaid #64

Pumpkin Decorations

• 3rd place: #44 (no picture, was a late arrival)
  • 2nd place: #17 apple
20171030_170841.jpg

• 1st place: Pulling face open (guy in loop 200 submitted this. talked to him as we were walking back. got idea off internet).
20171030_170827 (1).jpg

Best Site Decorations:

• Fort Wilderness themed: #358 Haunted Fort Wilderness (will try to get around to it today)
  • Disney themed: #1459 Beauty and the Beast (they had the music playing from B&B)
20171030_222802_LLS.jpg

20171030_222829.jpg

• Overall themed: #1435 Pirates (I have a picture in an earlier page with skeleton at the ship's wheel). Might get a daylight photo today.
Next a couple more pictures from yesterday after the golf cart parade.

Pumpkins that spell out "Fort Wilderness" in front of the Settlement TP:

20171030_174922.jpg

The Halloween tie dye activity down at the marina before the Beach Bash (no idea on cost):

20171030_175244.jpg

Sun setting through the Spanish moss:

20171030_175552.jpg

Beach Bash about 945 pm (my back to lake. it was set up with a dj who had loud thumping jumping music and a stage next to the boat rental bldg)

20171030_213515.jpg

Parking for the drive in golf cart movie behind TE. It was hoppin'.

20171030_212541.jpg

Time for some breakfast. Dad is back.

Bama Ed

That pumpkin carved like an apple was a pretty darn good idea. Haven't seen that one before. I've seen the carvings with the "pulling" open before, but his does have a little more detail than the ones I've seen.

Good work Ed

Loving the report Ed. Thank you is just not enough for all you have posted. I haven't read up on the October report for a couple days and had 80 updates to read on. Love seeing all the pictures and details on the Halloween festivities.

Happy Halloween!

This morning is very relaxing. After getting checked in on Sunday, setting up, then on Monday decorating and the parade plus, today is a down day until later this evening.

After breakfast I ran some Fort errands and did the following.

First I went to loop 300 to see the site decoration winner in the Fort Wilderness category. Left side, right side, then center close up.

20171031_095117.jpg

20171031_095124.jpg

20171031_095135.jpg

Next I went to 1400 to take a daytime photo of the Pirates site decoration winner.

20171031_100642.jpg

However, just before it (Big Bear Circle, on the inside, about 2/3 way around) is a good display in the FW theme. It's a haunted FW campfire singalong.

20171031_100423.jpg

20171031_100451.jpg

20171031_100440.jpg

That will probably be me in the crowd in another 50 years...

The Bike Barn and Meadow TP area was buzzing with families working on crafts and the Fort Scavenger Hunt (got a copy):

20171031_102300.jpg

The DIS-Fort Wilderness Scavenger Hunt tie breaker is to find these:

20171031_103157.jpg

It started out cool but is warming up nicely. Temps should be in the 70s today and mid 50s tonight. But at 1030 there were 4 lifeguards working the pool for zero swimmers.

20171031_102602.jpg

Bama Ed

Again........:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Are you and your dad going to visit a park or is this a Fort trip only? I have been trying to get my parents to the Fort for a long time. I know they would love just spending time at the Fort. And eating at Trails End and sitting on the porch and looping and meeting other Fort campers and the Campfire Sing a Long and seeing the horses and taking a boat ride across Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon and watching fireworks from the beach and...................

Those blasted initials! I refuse to let anybody tell me where they are. Every time I'm there I spend some time looking for them.

Absolutely beautiful Halloween Day at Fort Wilderness. It's 74F, blue sky, warm, and I haven't seen a bug or skeeter since we got here.

Before lunch today Dad and I went for a little joyride via boat and monorail with the plan to ride to EPCOT and back (which we did). Sure was relaxing.

20171031_115438.jpg

By the way, while I am type this I am listening to a bluegrass album that has four songs that play on the background loop at the Fort - Bela Fleck's The Bluegrass Sessions - Tales from the Acoustic Planet Volume 2.

When you get off the big boat at the MK dock from the Fort, there are two security gates. It moved very quickly.

20171031_120157.jpg

The MK has a Mickey's Not So Scary tonight and tomorrow night so it is all decked out in orange.

20171031_121219.jpg

As I said, we were just joyriding so we didn't go in MK. But we did head over to the monorail station to ride to the TTC and transfer to the EPCOT line.

When we were riding back, I got two pix of the construction work around the MK Toll Booths. Here you can see the flyovers being built to take hotel resort guests to their destination directly without going through the toll booths. At the bottom you can see the ramp that's pulling off for Fort Wilderness. Note it already has a bar over it to prevent Randy from loading his golf cart on top of his toy hauler. :rolleyes:

20171031_125030.jpg

In the next picture you can see the new ramp just to the right of the retention pond and to the right of that is the old straight line ramp that ran to the STOL runway. It will be nice not having to go through the booths and try to GET RIGHT RIGHT NOW for the turn onto Vista Blvd.

20171031_123531.jpg

It was warm and sunny enough to sit up front in the boat leaving MK to go back to the Fort.

20171031_130912.jpg

Like serenitygr says, coming into the Fort dock feels like returning home.

20171031_132655.jpg

There were swimmers in the pool this afternoon. The lifeguards had put away their stocking caps and jackets for Ray Bans and Coppertone.

20171031_145210.jpg

The limbo contest was just getting started on the pool deck. Maybe we should incorporate this activity into the Gulf Shores DISmeet? It would definitely be entertaining!

20171031_145246.jpg

A Bama Ed Fort trip wouldn't be complete without a Meadow Trading Post domestic 6-pack beer price update. $16 now.

20171031_145536.jpg

Things are calm here. It's the calm before the storm.

Bama Ed

Again........:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Are you and your dad going to visit a park or is this a Fort trip only? I have been trying to get my parents to the Fort for a long time. I know they would love just spending time at the Fort. And eating at Trails End and sitting on the porch and looping and meeting other Fort campers and the Campfire Sing a Long and seeing the horses and taking a boat ride across Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon and watching fireworks from the beach and...................

Steve, Thursday is our only park day at MK. It has the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween special ticket events tonight (10/31) and tomorrow night too (11/1). When that party is done, the Halloween decorations come down and the MK Christmas decorations go up the same night because the Disney Christmas special ticket event party starts in a week. So we will be in the MK the first day they have the Christmas decorations up. No rush to do parks and a vacation to me should be relaxing. We have things to do tomorrow but no time clock to punch.

We bought 1-day MK tix today for Thursday and I just made us FP+ for the afternoon two days out. We have ADR's for lunch and dinner (splurge) but I purposely waited till now to do tix and FP+. It feels more like an old fashioned WDW vacation that way - not as hyper-scheduled so far in advance. ADR's were my only concession to that.

I have a purpose to my MK visit that I will share later and I have been given orders by DD to come home with some rose-and-gold Mickey ears so it won't be completely free wheeling but mostly so.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
We enjoyed our last night at the Fort. We had a great time in the parade, lots of very well done carts. Our was a Halloween theme.
IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0789.JPG

After the parade we went back to camp and made a quick dinner, then it was off to the beach for the party. Voted on the pumpkins then had a moonshine berry drink, very good, but way to much ice and not enough liquid, lol.
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG

After we walke the nature trail behind the trading post and watched the last sunset of this trip.

IMG_0792.JPG

We took one last trip to look at the decorated sites, then headed back to our site.
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG

Double post

Attachments

• IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter