Official Fantasyland Expansion Q & A (Mickey gets evicted) PART II

If ever there were characters popular enough to warrant a ridiculously overpriced buffet the fairies are it; maybe instead of 7 princess meals they could change just one of them over to Tink & friends. I'd much rather pay big bucks for a meal than stand in that gift shop endlessly saying no to a bunch of junk we don't need!

oh i so agree with this. our last trip was the first time that dd noticed that Ariel at the castle wasn't the same Ariel in Epcot.

Therefore Disney has now lost us for having 2 or more princess meals so we'll just be going to the castle.

if they had a tink and friends meal we'd go but not another princess meal.

I'd like to think it would help, but I think once the excitement of the new opening is over and everyone has done it once, it will have absolutely zero effect on TSM. I don't recall every having much trouble with riding Star Tours standby. And while it's ok for girls, they just don't have the drive to do it that little boys do. TSM cuts across gender lines.

The biggest problem with DHS is that it's mostly shows. And while people will do rides over and over (on a given trip, or from trip to trip) they don't always care to do the shows over. While we see BATB every trip, we just hit the others every few trips. The result is that they don't soak up enough people that way. While Disney is not as ride focused as some parks, people do want a certain number of them.

Honestly, after the last fiasco....... I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to big announcements from Disney on the expansion. I now know it's all subject to change at the whim of a new executive.

And even the carousel has been renamed after Prince Charming. We should have taken that as an omen. I thought it was odd when they announced it, but it was apparently indicative of their whole new approach.

I'm TOTALLY in agreement on not wanting to stand in line in a gift shop. I really wish they would be out around the park. Even if I'm not getting in line to see a particular character, I love seeing them there. I think they add a lot of life to the scenery.

Exactly. When I was a little girl, I didn't give a crap about Star Tours, so we didn't ride it. In fact, I've never ridden it becuase both time I've been after that, it was closed.

I think it is wierd that they renamed it to Prince Charming's carousel, when typically carousels are a little girl thing. Plus, the castle is Cinderella's, so it would make sense that that is also her carousel.

I don't like the whole Toontown setup anyway, especially having to wait in those small buildings with long lines to see your favorite characters. I wish you could see the characters roaming the parks a bit more like the ones at Disneyland. I would love to see Cinderella actually greet near HER castle, along with Prince Charming. We need to see the princes a bit more. The only can see is Aladdin, except for special events. Maybe that would throw in that extra appeal for boys that they seem to oh so need. Instead of just meeting a princess, the boys could see the princes too. I agree, it does add to the scenery and surroundings.

I know there has been some negativity towards the Rapunzel and Flynn "play n greet" especially knowing that Disney seems to want to go more in this direction for the new Fantasyland Expansion (FLE).

Now the concerns have hit the Orlando Sentinel:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/disney-a-mom-and-the-mouse/2011/01/tangled-play-and-greet-at-magic-kingdom-didnt-live-up-to-our-expectations/

The interesting part, the comments seem to disagree and indicate their children loved the experience. I find it fascinating that there is such a wide range of reactions to the new format. I'm curious to see how it all pans out down the road with the FLE.
I don't like the idea of having to wait in line and color if you want to meet them. That just adds on extra wait time and it is quite unpleasant to have to sit through if you are an adult or teenager wanting to meet Rapunzel and Flynn. I'd rather just wait in line and get it over with.

I would think a fairy meal would be SO popular! I used to think it had to to with the fact that they couldn't do the "shrinking" thing like they do at PH, but that's over now anyway. It sounds like the meet & greets will just be at full size ;)..... So why NOT do a meal? They really do need a little more variety in their character meals.

That would be quite popular. They really do need to replace the dumb Playhouse Disney characters at Hollywood and Vine. I'm still hoping for a Peter Pan themed meal (that would include Tinkerbell, the only fairy Icare about), but fairies would be the next best thing I guess.

They may be able to keep the shrinking idea at Norway. If they enclose the entrance just a little (put of a curtain) you could shrink right there and then go around the corner to find Tink.

I think that would be a great idea!

I wonder if the fairies do not have a meal because the wings are hard to navigate through close areas with food!

The wing thing would make sense. When I met the fairies I did not realize how big their wings are until I got around to Vidia. I was trying to put my arm around her for a picture and I bumped right into her wings and they were quite large.

I would think a fairy meal would be SO popular! I used to think it had to to with the fact that they couldn't do the "shrinking" thing like they do at PH, but that's over now anyway. It sounds like the meet & greets will just be at full size ;)..... So why NOT do a meal? They really do need a little more variety in their character meals.

I'm a bit of a cynic, I guess... I think the reason they don't do another character meal is all about $$$. A fairy (or Pixar) meal would be popular, but it wouldn't be new money coming in - it would mostly be people choosing that over another dining experience. So there's no profit incentive to it; guests are already eating their meals on property without the draw of more character meal options, so there's no profit incentive to add the expenses that go along with character meals. It has been a long time since Disney added a character meal (the audio-animatronic Remy not withstanding) and in fact have eliminated a couple (Garden Grill lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern dinner).

They may be able to keep the shrinking idea at Norway. If they enclose the entrance just a little (put of a curtain) you could shrink right there and then go around the corner to find Tink.

I think that would be a great idea!

I wonder if the fairies do not have a meal because the wings are hard to navigate through close areas with food!

I was thinking te exact same thing.

Another thought I had is why didn't they turn the carrosel into a Mary Poppins them instead. To me that would make more since than Cinderella or Prince Charming.

Forget the curtians. Make a building winthin a building. The windows on the inside look out into the outter building with live video footage on big screens of whats going on outside of the outter building to make it seem like your really tiny.

Another thought I had is why didn't they turn the carrosel into a Mary Poppins them instead. To me that would make more since than Cinderella or Prince Charming.

Because..........you silly....... Mary Poppins is a GIRL! :rotfl2: It would have had to be BERT's Regal Carousel! :rotfl:

Sorry.... couldn't resist.......

I think that would have been an AWESOME plan and would have provided an addition to the park from one of their best fantasy films!

Because..........you silly....... Mary Poppins is a GIRL! :rotfl2: It would have had to be BERT's Regal Carousel! :rotfl:

Sorry.... couldn't resist.......

I think that would have been an AWESOME plan and would have provided an addition to the park from one of their best fantasy films!

What was I thinking? :lmao:

I was thinking te exact same thing.

Though that is a good idea (Heck, Mary Poppins and Bert meet next to the carousel) I think they didn't do it because it was originally made as Cinderella's and it has HER horse on it. (The horse with the gold ribbon on the tail) If they changed it, that horse would lose its significance.

Though that is a good idea (Heck, Mary Poppins and Bert meet next to the carousel) I think they didn't do it because it was originally made as Cinderella's and it has HER horse on it. (The horse with the gold ribbon on the tail) If they changed it, that horse would lose its significance.

At DL there is a Mary poppins horse!
It has a small mary poppins umbrella on the right/back part of the saddle
here is the link for a pic..
http://www.thedisneytraveler.com/2008/07/julie-andrews-horse-on-the-disneyland-carousel/

So i don't see why cinderella can't her horse on a mary poppins carousel..

Mary poppins would be a great for the carousel .. but it will NEVER happen..:sad2:

We have been getting ready for our trip by watching our (ancient) VHS tape of Disney Sing a Long: Disneyland Fun every day (and since I have an almost 2 year old, sometimes its more like 3 times a day :lmao:) and I noticed that the Disneyland Carousel seems to be named after... King Arthur. Which would make sense since it is right next to the Sword in the Stone. This also makes renaming the carousel after the Prince make more sense, too.

What my DH and I have really noticed is that there was not a lot of princess emphasis at all in that Disneyland tape. So, in the 80s, when that was made, things were much more even handed.

It has to be hard balancing the brand since they made such a BIG merchandising push for princess stuff in the last ten years. Its been a big merchandising moneymaker, but I can see where someone sitting at a boardroom table might speculate that an emphasis on the princess brand may have an adverse effect on the parks since that brand is associated with little girls. Little girls grow up, and some of them keep that princess love, but some don't. Having the parks associated as "where to see the Princesses" doesn't seem to maximize its appeal.

I don't AGREE necessarily, but can see the logic.

Oh no! I am so sad that the Snow White ride is closing. Will be going in March. It's hard to let go of the rides that are so ingrained in the Disney memory bank for making Magic Kingdom what it is!

Oh no! I am so sad that the Snow White ride is closing. Will be going in March. It's hard to let go of the rides that are so ingrained in the Disney memory bank for making Magic Kingdom what it is!

Just a rumor - do not be sad yet!

Additionally, I know there were some questions about Expo Hall, here's what I've learned:

Expo Hall is still the ultimate destination for characters during construction, but it will not be ready by Feb. 12th. Therefore, the princesses and mice will appear throughout MK until Expo is completed; then they'll be moving again.

Anticipated Expo Hall completion is Spring 2011, so not to far away.

As for the fairies, that sounds like it's changing everyday. One thing sounds pretty certain, Tink will be available at another park starting Feb. 12th while the others will be available in Spring. Where is in constant fluctuation. Disney announced Tink will be at DHS with everyone else at Epcot (see the first post). We'll continue to go with that until additionally announcements are made.

Just a rumor - do not be sad yet!

Additionally, I know there were some questions about Expo Hall, here's what I've learned:

Expo Hall is still the ultimate destination for characters during construction, but it will not be ready by Feb. 12th. Therefore, the princesses and mice will appear throughout MK until Expo is completed; then they'll be moving again.

Anticipated Expo Hall completion is Spring 2011, so not to far away.

As for the fairies, that sounds like it's changing everyday. One thing sounds pretty certain, Tink will be available at another park starting Feb. 12th while the others will be available in Spring. Where is in constant fluctuation. Disney announced Tink will be at DHS with everyone else at Epcot (see the first post). We'll continue to go with that until additionally announcements are made.

Way too early to be on these boards!!! I read this statement and thought, "Wow, I didn't know the princesses had mice!!!!" :lmao::rotfl2:

Way too early to be on these boards!!! I read this statement and thought, "Wow, I didn't know the princesses had mice!!!!" :lmao::rotfl2:

ACTUALLY..........

Cinderella had some very helpful mice. And I sure wish they'd bring them back for appearances in the park!

OK ITS OFFICIAL:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl.../?CMP=SOC-DPFY11Q2Twitter1.18.1118-01-11@0001

Copied from the blog in case anyone can't get it to load, here is what it says today:

As many of you know, we’re in the midst of the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, which will nearly double the size of Fantasyland. And we’re thrilled about the expansion because it’ll allow us to tell our treasured stories in new ways and give you the opportunity to interact with some of our beloved characters like never before. Today, we’d like to give you a first glimpse of the progress we’re making in bringing these stories to life and a look at some of the art will be sharing with the media later tonight.

First, work is already well underway on many of the experiences we’ve already told you about, so let’s start with Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid. In this attraction, Ariel and all her friends will entertain you in a ride-through adventure featuring favorite songs from the popular animated feature.

Not too far from Ariel’s new home, construction is underway on Beast’s castle which will stand majestically upon a hill. You will cross over a stone bridge as you arrive at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Set in the halls of the Beast’s Castle, this location will seat up to 550 guests and offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Just outside the restaurant, you will also be able to explore Belle’s Village, which includes Gaston’s Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.

Nearby at Belle’s cottage, a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of experience, where Belle, Lumiere and guests participate in a lively re-telling of the “tale as old as time.” In Enchanted Tales with Belle, the adventure begins at Maurice’s cottage, where you’ll step through an enchanted mirror that magically transports you to Beast’s library for an interactive storytelling session with Belle.

Just across the way is the brand new Storybook Circus, where we’re doubling the fun by adding another carousel to Dumbo the Flying Elephant. While you wait to board this Fantasyland favorite, you’ll have a chance to join the circus and step inside the Big Top for fun-filled interactive experiences for kids of all ages. Alongside Dumbo the Flying Elephant, the existing Barnstormer is getting a new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. This exciting attraction will take you on a twisting, turning, daredevil, roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

As with any project of this scale, we’ve also continued to look for additional ways to surprise and delight our guests and I think you’ll be pleased. One opportunity we’re especially excited about is the chance to tell Snow White’s story in a fresh new way. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take you on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth as they whisk along the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.

Our other Disney princesses will also be getting a new home (actually, they prefer to call it a castle) in the all new Princess Fairytale Hall. Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses.

And Tinkerbell and her fairy friends will be joining the cast at Epcot where they will have special roles bringing the flora and fauna to life during the Flower and Garden Festival.

The New Fantasyland will be constructed in phases with most new experiences open by 2013. We look forward to sharing more with you as our work progresses.

"will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses."

really? That is what is going to replace Snow White' Scary Adventure?

The rest sounds great, but that seems a waste of the space

"will greet you in an elegant royal court at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. This new experience will be in place of some of the earlier plans we shared regarding opportunities to interact with your favorite princesses."

really? That is what is going to replace Snow White' Scary Adventure?

The rest sounds great, but that seems a waste of the space

They took the princess meet & greets out to make way for the mine coaster. I believe Snow White is leaving because they are putting in the mine coaster, not to make way for the meet & greet area. They had to put them somewhere........

This was just emailed to me via DisneyTravelAgents... hope its ok to post it here....

Largest Expansion in Magic Kingdom Park History Will Nearly Double the Size of Fantasyland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The largest expansion in Magic Kingdom® Park history is underway, a project that will nearly double the size of Fantasyland and deliver a new home for Ariel, new ways to interact with favorite Disney princesses, an exciting new family coaster, a double dose of Dumbo and more.

Scheduled to open in phases beginning in late 2012, the new Fantasyland will immerse your Clients in Disney stories as never before. Among the highlights planned:

•Under the Sea: Journey of The Little Mermaid, a major, all-new attraction during which guests will travel with Ariel and her friends through their exciting adventures above and below the waves – all against a musical backdrop of songs from the classic film.
•The castle of the Beast, standing majestically upon a hill just across an old stone bridge from Ariel’s new home. The Be Our Guest Restaurant will feature a lavish dining experience in the elegant ballroom, gallery, and mysterious “West Wing” of the castle. With seating for 550, this magnificent facility will offer “great food fast” service by day and full table service dining in the evening. Nearby in Belle's Village, guests will find the rousing Gaston's Tavern and Bonjour! Village Gifts.
•Just outside the village is Belle’s cottage and Enchanted Tales with Belle. The adventure begins in Maurice’s workshop, where a magical mirror is the doorway to a captivating new kind of storytelling experience: Guests are transported to the Beast’s library to meet Belle and Lumiere, and share in a lively, interactive, re-telling of the "tale as old as time.”
But that’s just the beginning of what your Clients will discover when the multi-phase project is completed. Here’s more of what’s in store:

•The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will take guests on a rollicking, musical ride into the mine “where a million diamonds shine.” The coaster will feature a first-of-its kind ride system with a train of ride vehicles that swing back and forth, responding to every twist and turn of the track. The journey will be accompanied by music from the classic Disney film and animated figures of Snow White and the Dwarfs.
•In Princess Fairytale Hall, Aurora, Cinderella and other Disney princesses, such as Tiana and Rapunzel, will greet guests in their new home, an elegant royal court on the site where Snow White’s Scary Adventures stands today.
• The sound of the calliope will lead guests to the brand new Storybook Circus and not one but two circling carousels of airborne pachyderms on Dumbo the Flying Elephant! Before taking to the skies on this Fantasyland favorite, guests can experience an array of fun-filled family games and interactive wonders for kids of all ages inside the Big Top.
•Next door in Storybook Circus, the classic Barnstormer gets a bright new look as well, featuring Goofy as The Great Goofini. It’s a twisting, turning roller coaster “flight” high above the circus fun.

I like the newly announced plans. They sound pretty good to me. I will be sad that Snow White is closing, but at least the Dwarf Coaster will replace it. I guess they have to put the Princesses somewhere...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter