Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

We were hoping to have a graduation themed cake on our arrival day (May 5) at BW. After reading some of these posts, I am a bit worried about using the BW Bakery. We don't want anything really fancy and are happy with just buttercream and no fondant if they can stay with the Graduation theme. Should I try to find somewhere else to get the cake done?

Also, anyone have any awesome Grad cakes they would like to share? I need some inspiration.

If all you want is a buttercream cake with a screen print or an inscription, you'll be fine using BoardWalk Bakery.

Ordered a cake to be delivered at Mama Melrose for my nephews birthday. I called the cake hotline number and requested a cake with the fab five on it. I also requested lots of color. Vanilla cake with strawberry cream filling and white chocolate ganache. It was amazing and I am so happy with it! It was $63 plus tax and tip so grand total was around $83.

Attachments

• 8E5F6CF9-76CA-4F15-8285-3AA6CE8D2188.jpeg
    8E5F6CF9-76CA-4F15-8285-3AA6CE8D2188.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 331
I just talked to DH and we have settled on this cake, but instead of Tinkerbell, have mickey heads on the sides. Maybe a flower or something in her school colors. Will Boardwalk be ok with this?

Attachments

• 488e7cb728d86a275311d5c5a06e0c11--graduation-cake-themed-cakes.jpg
    488e7cb728d86a275311d5c5a06e0c11--graduation-cake-themed-cakes.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 147
I just talked to DH and we have settled on this cake, but instead of Tinkerbell, have mickey heads on the sides. Maybe a flower or something in her school colors. Will Boardwalk be ok with this?

They should be able to handle it!

Just updated Post #1 with all the new wedding cake flavors that debuted at Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings' bridal showcase. As a reminder, the team that makes celebration cakes for the Grand Floridian is separate from the team that makes Disney Wedding Cakes, but sometimes you can convince them to let you have wedding cake flavors.

Just have to give a shout out to Pat at the Grand Floridian. I was trying to get ahold of the YC/BC cake folks, but mistakenly called Pat. I left a message, and she was kind enough to call back, transfer me to YC/BC, and tell me if I had any issues with ordering a cake, to call her back. The gentleman at YC/BC, who said his name too fast that I didn't catch it, was great and got my info and what I was looking for. They will get back to me next week with a cost estimate. Thanks to this forum, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted. Right now the plan is for an 8 in Wookie cake (someone had posted a picture of one a few weeks ago) with chocolate buttercream, marble cake, and dark chocolate mousse filling. I may see if I can get cookies and cream filling instead and maybe a little Porg-like bird peeking out from under the Wookie sash. I don't need the cake until June. I will keep you all posted.

Ordered a cake to be delivered at Mama Melrose for my nephews birthday. I called the cake hotline number and requested a cake with the fab five on it. I also requested lots of color. Vanilla cake with strawberry cream filling and white chocolate ganache. It was amazing and I am so happy with it! It was $63 plus tax and tip so grand total was around $83.
I love this cake! I may switch our plans of ordering a cake at AKL to doing one at HS when we visit 50's Prime Time. That seems really reasonable for what you got. Do you remember the rough dimensions of the cake? I don't remember seeing many rectangular cakes.

I love this cake! I may switch our plans of ordering a cake at AKL to doing one at HS when we visit 50's Prime Time. That seems really reasonable for what you got. Do you remember the rough dimensions of the cake? I don't remember seeing many rectangular cakes.

When I called she gave me this as an option. I believe it is a quarter sheet cake. We had 21 people so needed enough cake

I called the HS cake line and within half an hour Jennifer called me back. She was super helpful. I have ordered a 6in buttercream (finished smooth similar to fondant) chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream - Stitch screen print on the side with palm trees, pineapples, flowers and surfboard decoration. To be delivered to Prime Time 50s cafe. Cost $38 plus tax and gratuity. Apparently there is a new pastry chef and he wants HS to be known as THE place to get the most amazing cakes.

I called the HS cake line and within half an hour Jennifer called me back. She was super helpful. I have ordered a 6in buttercream (finished smooth similar to fondant) chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream - Stitch screen print on the side with palm trees, pineapples, flowers and surfboard decoration. To be delivered to Prime Time 50s cafe. Cost $38 plus tax and gratuity. Apparently there is a new pastry chef and he wants HS to be known as THE place to get the most amazing cakes.
$38 for all of that seems very reasonable! Can't wait to see what DHS comes up with!!

I contacted Pat at the Grand Floridian to set up a cake delivery to our room at the Grand Floridian for 4/28. I wanted to get a custom 6 inch cake, the flavor would be chocolate chip and the filling would be chocolate ganache, but she said their cake flavors are only chocolate or vanilla and fillings would be basic mousse or buttercream. She said a fancy flavor would only be available if there was a wedding that same weekend and they were making a big batch of the specific cake I was looking for.

However, I remember a few years ago I stayed at the Grand Floridian and was able to get a custom cake with peanut butter mousse filling which I explained to her and she didn't budge. Did they severely cut back on flavors/options or should I speak to someone else at the hotel?

Thank you!

I contacted Pat at the Grand Floridian to set up a cake delivery to our room at the Grand Floridian for 4/28. I wanted to get a custom 6 inch cake, the flavor would be chocolate chip and the filling would be chocolate ganache, but she said their cake flavors are only chocolate or vanilla and fillings would be basic mousse or buttercream. She said a fancy flavor would only be available if there was a wedding that same weekend and they were making a big batch of the specific cake I was looking for.

However, I remember a few years ago I stayed at the Grand Floridian and was able to get a custom cake with peanut butter mousse filling which I explained to her and she didn't budge. Did they severely cut back on flavors/options or should I speak to someone else at the hotel?

Thank you!

No, it has always been this way and there is no one else you can speak to. Unfortunately, she is the gatekeeper for non-wedding cake requests, and whether you can get "special" flavors depends entirely on her whim. I mean, how hard is it to add chocolate chips to vanilla cake? You can try telling her that you are happy to wait and see if a wedding that weekend is also using chocolate ganache and chocolate chips and then check back as it gets closer. Sometimes people are told they can't have something and then it magically appears when they get the cake.

But if the flavors are really important to you, I'd arrange to have it made by the Yacht & Beach Club pastry team instead—any chance you're dining there or taking an IllumiNations cruise on your trip?

Does Yacht and Beach Club have a lot of flavours like the Grand Floridian does? I would like to get a cake on my first or second night and our first night is Jiko. I am not sure how AKL does their cakes and the second night will be Yachtsman.

$38 for all of that seems very reasonable! Can't wait to see what DHS comes up with!!
Hopefully I will have 10 posts by then (I think that's what you need to post a photo?). I have been lurking on here for years, I have just never posted before. Jennifer sent me a collage of various cakes that DHS has done. I can post that too once I am able. There was a Stitch cake that we used for inspiration.

Does Yacht and Beach Club have a lot of flavours like the Grand Floridian does? I would like to get a cake on my first or second night and our first night is Jiko. I am not sure how AKL does their cakes and the second night will be Yachtsman.

Yacht & Beach Club has been pretty amenable to all my cake flavor requests. I'd just ask them if what you want is possible. And you will have a much easier time ordering from them than AKL, which has limited abilities for cake designs and flavors.

Hopefully I will have 10 posts by then (I think that's what you need to post a photo?). I have been lurking on here for years, I have just never posted before. Jennifer sent me a collage of various cakes that DHS has done. I can post that too once I am able. There was a Stitch cake that we used for inspiration.

You can also email me the images at info@disneyweddingpodcast.com and I can post them here for you!

This is very exciting! DISer @Ballina was sent these photos of special occasion cakes created by Disney's Hollywood Studios pastry team. She was also told that the new pastry chef there wants DHS to become known as THE place to order cakes, so... let's give 'em a try! :teeth:

At least two of them are covered in fondant (the two red Minnie cakes with white dots), and a few look like they might be covered in chocolate ganache. The rest are smooth buttercream.

Slide1_zpsiyu6ri3g.jpg

Slide5_zpsl6giwgjj.jpg

Slide3_zpse6skkqac.jpg

Slide2_zpsmtc8uzid.jpg

Slide4_zpstqaqvbs3.jpg

Last edited:
This is very exciting! DISer @Ballina was sent these photos of special occasion cakes created by Disney's Hollywood Studios pastry team. She was also told that the new pastry chef there wants DHS to become known as THE place to order cakes, so... let's give 'em a try! :teeth:

At least two of them are covered in fondant (the two red Minnie cakes with white dots), and a few look like they might be covered in chocolate ganache. The rest are smooth buttercream.

Slide1_zpsiyu6ri3g.jpg

Slide5_zpsl6giwgjj.jpg

Slide3_zpse6skkqac.jpg

Slide2_zpsmtc8uzid.jpg

Slide4_zpstqaqvbs3.jpg
Hey I recognize one of those... lol

No, it has always been this way and there is no one else you can speak to. Unfortunately, she is the gatekeeper for non-wedding cake requests, and whether you can get "special" flavors depends entirely on her whim. I mean, how hard is it to add chocolate chips to vanilla cake? You can try telling her that you are happy to wait and see if a wedding that weekend is also using chocolate ganache and chocolate chips and then check back as it gets closer. Sometimes people are told they can't have something and then it magically appears when they get the cake.

But if the flavors are really important to you, I'd arrange to have it made by the Yacht & Beach Club pastry team instead—any chance you're dining there or taking an IllumiNations cruise on your trip?

Unfortunately we will not be dining at Yacht and Beach Club or on the cruise, but I just saw what you posted about Hollywood Studios. We have reservations for Hollywood and Vine for breakfast the day after we arrive. Do you know if you can get a custom cake delivered there and if they did would they box it up for you to take when you leave? I'd be willing to give them a try!

(Unless the you think the Contemporary would do a custom cake and deliver it to a room at the Grand Floridian, wishful thinking I know! but Brian at the Contemporary made an amazing Rowlf cake a few years ago, if you remember the pictures I posted, that was delicious!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!