Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I'm so sorry. It's so strange it's like they don't train the people who answer the phone on what options there are. I haven't had too much trouble so far, but have definitely read my share of these issues from others. I hope they get it cleared up for you. Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you get someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck!

Dis703, thank you for such a sweet and quick reply to my message! You've made me feel better and I will try to call again and hope to get a different person this time who will transfer me to private dining! :)

I am so frustrated with a custom cake order for the Contemporary. I've called and left three messages with the Contemporary cake hotline and have not received one call back. Out of frustration I called the Contemporary this morning and asked to be transferred to private dining. The person asked me why I wanted to speak with them and I explained that I wanted to order a custom cake to be delivered for my reservation at Chef Mickey's (not the celebration cake - I told her that I want to order the custom 2-tier mini cake). She told me that I have to order that cake when I arrive for my reservation and I again told her that I did not want the celebration cake I wanted to place an order for a mini-cake. She again told me that I was wrong and said I did not need private dining that I have to order when I arrive for my reservation. So I just hung up.

*Sigh* people, I just want a cake why is this so hard?

This is why I've taken the Contemporary's Cake Hotline AND Cake-ordering Email out of Post #2. It's a drag that the main phone numbers for the resorts don't actually take you to the resorts anymore, just a call center that can then transfer you to Private Dining. It doesn't work if the Cast Member refuses to transfer you!

I wish they'd give out a direct phone number for Private Dining at the Contemporary the way they do at some of the other Deluxes.

I am so frustrated with a custom cake order for the Contemporary. I've called and left three messages with the Contemporary cake hotline and have not received one call back. Out of frustration I called the Contemporary this morning and asked to be transferred to private dining. The person asked me why I wanted to speak with them and I explained that I wanted to order a custom cake to be delivered for my reservation at Chef Mickey's (not the celebration cake - I told her that I want to order the custom 2-tier mini cake). She told me that I have to order that cake when I arrive for my reservation and I again told her that I did not want the celebration cake I wanted to place an order for a mini-cake. She again told me that I was wrong and said I did not need private dining that I have to order when I arrive for my reservation. So I just hung up.

*Sigh* people, I just want a cake why is this so hard?

That is super disappointing. I was thinking of ordering a Little Mermaid mini cake for my daughter's birthday in June. We are staying at the Contemporary and eating at Chef Mickey's. I guess I will just settle for the dome cake.

That is super disappointing. I was thinking of ordering a Little Mermaid mini cake for my daughter's birthday in June. We are staying at the Contemporary and eating at Chef Mickey's. I guess I will just settle for the dome cake.

The cast member the OP spoke with was misinformed or confused. If you want a custom mini cake, call the Contemporary’s main phone number and ask to be transferred to Private Dining. If you’re worried you’ll get the same cast member, don’t even mention the cake until you are speaking to an actual Private Dining cast member.

The cast member the OP spoke with was misinformed or confused. If you want a custom mini cake, call the Contemporary’s main phone number and ask to be transferred to Private Dining. If you’re worried you’ll get the same cast member, don’t even mention the cake until you are speaking to an actual Private Dining cast member.
This is why I ordered my cake for the Magic Kingdom this trip. The Contemporary used to be so easy—just send an email—no long distance charges for me as a Canadian. Now it’s a big pain. I ended up with the Mickey celebration cake at Tony’s. My daughter will love it and it was easy. A shame though if you’re looking for something custom.

Has anyone tried the 11-layer signature cake at Amorette’s, the larger one with hibiscus fondant, not the petite with vanilla fondant? Reviews? I wonder if the overall taste is heavily chocolate? My DH doesn’t love chocolate but I thought maybe the fruit would help.

Also, does anyone know if they will personalize it with a chocolate plaque or something? I will call closer to the summer and ask/confirm, but just wondered about others’ experiences for planning purposes. We are celebrating a 16th birthday and I want something special or different from our usual Disney cakes. Thought this might have the unique oomph I am desiring.

A1D08387-56FF-4AFF-9F39-3B830B8EAA11.jpeg 6D9B8468-6B28-4FF5-94DA-036F3E490671.jpeg 4B4E97E9-6354-4006-8BB8-213A8826A343.jpeg Hi everyone! Sorry I am just now getting around to posting this. My husband ordered me a birthday cake from the Beach Club during our trip this past Christmas. I love dogs and my H knows I love Lady and the Tramp, so he asked for that to be the theme. He also told them that I have the blue Disney Dogs Dooney purse and asked them if our own pets could somehow be incorporated into the design. The cake could not have been more beautiful or more personal...I absolutely loved it!

H knows I have basic taste when it comes to cake, so it was a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and filling. I believe he said it was $85 plus tax and tip, and it was a 6”, two layer cake.

Hope this helps someone! I love looking at all the beautiful designs people come up with. :)

Hi everyone! Sorry I am just now getting around to posting this. My husband ordered me a birthday cake from the Beach Club during our trip this past Christmas. I love dogs and my H knows I love Lady and the Tramp, so he asked for that to be the theme. He also told them that I have the blue Disney Dogs Dooney purse and asked them if our own pets could somehow be incorporated into the design. The cake could not have been more beautiful or more personal...I absolutely loved it!

Wow! That hand-piped Lady & The Tramp on the top is amazingly well done! And the 3-D spaghetti? Genius!

View attachment 382196 View attachment 382197 View attachment 382200 Hi everyone! Sorry I am just now getting around to posting this. My husband ordered me a birthday cake from the Beach Club during our trip this past Christmas. I love dogs and my H knows I love Lady and the Tramp, so he asked for that to be the theme. He also told them that I have the blue Disney Dogs Dooney purse and asked them if our own pets could somehow be incorporated into the design. The cake could not have been more beautiful or more personal...I absolutely loved it!

H knows I have basic taste when it comes to cake, so it was a chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and filling. I believe he said it was $85 plus tax and tip, and it was a 6”, two layer cake.

Hope this helps someone! I love looking at all the beautiful designs people come up with. :)
I've never seen characters piped from Disney! This is gorgeous! I am excited about ordering from Yacht & Beach now :) Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 382196 View attachment 382197 View attachment 382200 Hi everyone! Sorry I am just now getting around to posting this. My husband ordered me a birthday cake from the Beach Club during our trip this past Christmas. I love dogs and my H knows I love Lady and the Tramp, so he asked for that to be the theme. He also told them that I have the blue Disney Dogs Dooney purse and asked them if our own pets could somehow be incorporated into the design. The cake could not have been more beautiful or more personal...I absolutely loved it!

Simply beautiful cake! Thanks for sharing!!!

Here are all the details of the Crazy '80s Epcot/Captain EO Mickey cake we had at our IllumiNations anniversary party in Epcot last week!

• When: February 4, 2019
  • Where: Epcot (but the cake was made by the Grand Floridian Wedding Cakes team)
  • Size: 6-inch tier atop a 10-inch tier
  • Flavors: Top tier – Churro cake filled with white chocolate-cinnamon mousse and milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) / Bottom tier – Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
  • Price: $475 + $75 delivery fee because it was made by the GF and not Epcot

This photo was my inspiration for the cake:

And this is how nerdy I am about cake: I started to get an idea for a metallic silver anniversary cake with puffy fondant rainbows like the ones on these costumes, and I was so excited about how cool it was going to look, I actually couldn’t sleep that night!

Usually my husband helps me draw the inspiration photos I send to Disney’s pastry teams for all the elaborate cakes I want, because he’s a professional artist and I draw like a 2-year-old. But this one was a surprise, so I had to muddle through on my own. Luckily, I was able to find a line-drawing of a basic 2-tier cake shape online to start with, or else the cake probably would have turned out like a saggy trapezoid! This is what I sent to the Grand Floridian’s Wedding Cakes team (yes, I used ALL the red arrows!).

Anniversary-Cake-Design.png

As you can see, I’m a bit Type A when it comes to cake designs—I’m pretty sure there are JPL rocket schematics that have less detail than this!

But what really helped was that the Grand Floridian assigned my cake to a pastry chef I actually know! We met when I interviewed her for the Disney Wedding Podcast, and she very kindly kept me updated on the progress of my cake as it was being made. She also helped me know what to ask for in the BEO (Banquet Event Order: The bible of your event followed by every Disney cast member who works on it) and on the design so that the cake would turn out how I’d imagined.

In fact, it turned out even BETTER than I’d imagined because she used her own creativity to improve the design, adding a Hidden Mickey belt buckle to the back and elegantly solving the problem of hiding the light below the Spaceship Earth topper!

But maybe my favorite thing was something I didn’t discover until the next day, when I opened a box of leftover cake to find the top tier had slid off its cake board, revealing a FROSTING SMILEY FACE!!! It turns out her signature is to make a smiley face out of the frosting used to secure each cake to its board, and nobody has ever noticed before!

Oh, and the flavors! So, my favorite Disney cake flavor combos are…

• Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (not Disney’s Cream Cheese Mousse Filling, which tastes like cheesecake to me)
  • Chocolate Chip Cake with layered Chocolate Ganache and Peanut Buttter Buttercream Frosting (again, not mousse)
But a few years ago, Disney introduced a Churro flavor for wedding cakes, and it has been a huge hit with all the brides. It’s a cinnamon cake filled with white chocolate cinnamon mousse that has milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) mixed in. I was skeptical, imagining something like a dry coffee cake or muffin. But I had to try it, so I asked Disney to make the smaller top tier churro.

You guys. It was AMAZING! The cake is so moist, and the filling tastes like Cinnabon smells! I barely even touched the leftovers of the red velvet tier, but I almost single-handedly polished off the remains of the churro tier over the course of our vacation.

Now let’s see a few dozen more photos of that cake, shall we?

Here are all the details of the Crazy '80s Epcot/Captain EO Mickey cake we had at our IllumiNations anniversary party in Epcot last week!

• Where: Epcot (but the cake was made by the Grand Floridian Wedding Cakes team)
  • Flavors: Top tier – Churro cake filled with white chocolate-cinnamon mousse and milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) / Bottom tier – Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting

And this is how nerdy I am about cake: I started to get an idea for a metallic silver anniversary cake with puffy fondant rainbows like the ones on these costumes, and I was so excited about how cool it was going to look, I actually couldn’t sleep that night!

Usually my husband helps me draw the inspiration photos I send to Disney’s pastry teams for all the elaborate cakes I want, because he’s a professional artist and I draw like a 2-year-old. But this one was a surprise, so I had to muddle through on my own. Luckily, I was able to find a line-drawing of a basic 2-tier cake shape online to start with, or else the cake probably would have turned out like a saggy trapezoid! This is what I sent to the Grand Floridian’s Wedding Cakes team (yes, I used ALL the red arrows!).

As you can see, I’m a bit Type A when it comes to cake designs—I’m pretty sure there are JPL rocket schematics that have less detail than this!

But what really helped was that the Grand Floridian assigned my cake to a pastry chef I actually know! We met when I interviewed her for the Disney Wedding Podcast, and she very kindly kept me updated on the progress of my cake as it was being made. She also helped me know what to ask for in the BEO (Banquet Event Order: The bible of your event followed by every Disney cast member who works on it) and on the design so that the cake would turn out how I’d imagined.

In fact, it turned out even BETTER than I’d imagined because she used her own creativity to improve the design, adding a Hidden Mickey belt buckle to the back and elegantly solving the problem of hiding the light below the Spaceship Earth topper!

But maybe my favorite thing was something I didn’t discover until the next day, when I opened a box of leftover cake to find the top tier had slid off its cake board, revealing a FROSTING SMILEY FACE!!! It turns out her signature is to make a smiley face out of the frosting used to secure each cake to its board, and nobody has ever noticed before!

• Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (not Disney’s Cream Cheese Mousse Filling, which tastes like cheesecake to me)
  • Chocolate Chip Cake with layered Chocolate Ganache and Peanut Buttter Buttercream Frosting (again, not mousse)
But a few years ago, Disney introduced a Churro flavor for wedding cakes, and it has been a huge hit with all the brides. It’s a cinnamon cake filled with white chocolate cinnamon mousse that has milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) mixed in. I was skeptical, imagining something like a dry coffee cake or muffin. But I had to try it, so I asked Disney to make the smaller top tier churro.

You guys. It was AMAZING! The cake is so moist, and the filling tastes like Cinnabon smells! I barely even touched the leftovers of the red velvet tier, but I almost single-handedly polished off the remains of the churro tier over the course of our vacation.

what a STUNNING cake! it might be the nicest disney cake i’ve ever seen. so many compliments to the baker!

Wow - that cake is so rad! I love it!

OMG, that cake is easily my favorite cake of all time! Kudos to you for the design and the baker for execution!

Have regular (that is, not Disney brides) had any success getting the churro cake filling? That may change my plans!

OMG, that cake is easily my favorite cake of all time! Kudos to you for the design and the baker for execution!

Have regular (that is, not Disney brides) had any success getting the churro cake filling? That may change my plans!

So far I haven't seen anyone but Disney brides ask for it, but I will keep an eye out. It really varies by location (and the whims of the Private Dining contact you're talking to, unfortunately :rolleyes: ). It's always worth asking though!

What a great cake! I love the Lady & the Tramp theme!

And omg @lurkyloo that is stunning!!

Your cake is AMAZING!!! I'm so intrigued with the churro flavor cake! Hopefully non-brides will be able to order this, including me in Dec!

I also like how you found that frosting smiley face. What a nice touch!

I had such a difficult time ordering from Boardwalk Bakery in 2017, I really wanted to try another bakery team next time around. It will be my mom's bday as well as our first Christmas season visit to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter