Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

I'm excited to see the posts about cakes at Animal Kingdom Lodge! My family is staying there this summer and I want to order a fancy cake to be delivered to the room, so please share your experiences! (I'm over here taking notes...:teeth:)

I have a few cake questions for you fantastic Disney peeps!

1) I am getting married in WDW on a Monday morning but am not flying back to my home state (CA) until the following Sunday. Is there a way that you'd recommend storing some of the cake to take back with me? I know Disney won't freeze and ship it anywhere, but I figured I'd see if there was another option.

2) I have two Disney figurines that I'm using as toppers, but they don't stand up well on their own. Do you have any tips on how to do that without ruining them by gluing a pick to the bottoms?

1) I am getting married in WDW on a Monday morning but am not flying back to my home state (CA) until the following Sunday. Is there a way that you'd recommend storing some of the cake to take back with me? I know Disney won't freeze and ship it anywhere, but I figured I'd see if there was another option.

Are we talking about preserving the entire top layer or just saving some cake to eat a few days after you get home?

As a Disney bride and serial-cake-orderer, I strongly encourage you NOT to attempt to save the so-called "anniversary layer" and to simply enjoy eating it now, while it is fresh, possibly for breakfast, every day of your honeymoon. There is aboslutely no reason to eat stale, squished, soggy unfrozen cake on your anniversary when it is so easy to have Disney or your local bakery make you a fresh anniversary cake!

If you just want to know how to make it last a few days beyond your trip, I've had great success with popping the chunks in Tupperware/Gladware/Ziploc food storage containers. It won't look pretty, but it will taste great. If it is all buttercream, you don't need to refrigerate it, but if you have any of Disney's mousse fillings, you do. If your room's fridge isn't big enough to accommodate all the cake, you can store it in the fridge at Bell Services.

2) I have two Disney figurines that I'm using as toppers, but they don't stand up well on their own. Do you have any tips on how to do that without ruining them by gluing a pick to the bottoms?

Definitely send photos to your planner to have him/her ask the Grand Floridian Wedding Cakes team. They may be able to create something that would support the figurines, or they might suggest you display them next to the cake.

Sorry about the delay on this one - I wasn't sure I wanted to post it as I wasn't the happiest with what we received and didn't want to be a downer but I know it can be super helpful to others looking to order so here it goes! Also - sorry for the length??? I didn't realize I had so much to say and then I couldn't cut anything out hahahaha

I called December 12th for an 8inch birthday cake (the smallest size they had) for my niece to be delivered to Coral Reef one week later on December 20th. I called the Epcot bakery and left a message and Claudia got back to me within 2 hours which I thought was amazing. I didn't ask for much I just wanted it to be princess themed and say "Happy Birthday Princess Mia". Claudia suggested a screen print of the princesses and adding an age so we ended up with "Happy 4th Birthday Princess Mia" which I liked. The base price was $40 I believe and adding the screen print bumped the price to $70 which I felt was fair at the time. Claudia sent a confirmation email and I was officially excited because I knew my niece and my whole family would really love the surprise.

However, life happens when you're busy making other plans. The day we arrived at WDW it was raining and the next day we were supposed to go to MK then Epcot for dinner but there were thunderstorms and tornado warnings so my family decided that we would forgo the parks that day. I was panicking because what would happen to the cake?! Thankfully I could email Claudia since no one in my family knew and I could NOT have gotten away with calling when we were cooped up in the room together all day. She was beyond helpful with moving the date for the delivery of the cake via email. I was a tiny bit nervous that it wouldn't be there but decided to trust that it would turn out fine and we rescheduled for 2 days later.

Now, thankfully having read through this thread pretty thoroughly I knew to be the one to check in. SURPRISE: printed nice and big on the ticket was the exact cake order and then stamped in red was either celebrate or celebration (I can't remember which). I managed to check-in alone, get the ticket and hide it from my family lol. Unfortunately, our waiter was not clued into the fact that it was a surprise (even though I made it clear when I checked in that it was a surprise from everyone) and kind of blew it a little by asking about it after we'd finished our meal. Totally not his fault that he didn't know but I had to deal with my sister laughing at me for being so "extra" a few minutes earlier than expected :rotfl:

My niece LOVED the cake. She thought it was "so beautiful" and she was so excited when she saw it coming to HER but she didn't want to eat it LOL. She had a few bites but that was literally it. She said it was good but wasn't into eating any more of it lol. And while it took me some time to really appreciate it I do agree it was beautiful. It was sparkly and cute and thankfully the 4-year-old liked it. However, I still do not at all think it was worth $70. The screen print of the princesses was blurry & that's not because I took a blurry photo - the screen print was just really blurry and that was extremely disappointing. I've also just seen so many GORGEOUS designs on this thread that I guess I was a bit underwhelmed when we just essentially got nothing design-wise aside from the screen print and edible glitter. I do chalk that up to myself since I really didn't give any other directions besides "princess themed". However, I thought giving them free rein on the design would still yield a design at the minimum and I feel like we just got an almost plain cake with a screen print. I've seen Pop food court cakes more themed than this one on this thread and I want to be sorry for saying that but I can't.

The cake itself was super delicious though!! It was chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and one of the tastiest cakes we've had at WDW...but we could've gotten 6+ specialty cupcakes for the same price as this cake at any bakery in-park and they would've been just as delicious. It was also way too big for us which I knew going in but it was their smallest cake and I wanted to make my niece's birthday special. Once we ate our slices though and saw we had so much leftover we were like "what are we going to do with all this?" :confused3 That's when my niece said she wanted to give a piece to a little girl sitting nearby and we thought that was a wonderful idea. We're always telling her that "sharing is caring" so we couldn't really be like "well no you can't just share your birthday cake with a perfect stranger" without feeling like super big jerks. We asked if we could give some away to other diners but the waiter said they couldn't help with that (which I understood but my sister was like "but why not??") but if we wanted to leave it to staff we could leave it in the back. My sister didn't think it was very nice for them to want to keep it for themselves and not share with other diners and so talked them into giving us extra plates. We cut some very large slices to give away to other families/parties and she took my niece around to explain this was her birthday cake and she wanted to share. Two families were happy to accept birthday cake but that was it. They asked like 4 other parties who were like "no thnx" and we were all ????????? I mean...I'm always here for a free dessert but to each their own hahaha. So we ended up having quite a bit left which is what we were trying to avoid by cutting such large slices in the first place so we ended up literally having cake for days.

Overall, I would definitely order another cake from WDW but probably not from Epcot. We also didn't really enjoy Coral Reef and won't be returning so there's that. Both cake ordering experiences were great and WDW cake staff are so accommodating and helpful that I would absolutely order again. However, I think if I do order another cake I would give more details about what I'd like to see and discuss designs more in-depth. I don't think this particular cake was worth what I paid design-wise but it was delicious and my niece loved it and thought it was beautiful and that's really all I wanted so I guess I can still put it in the win column.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_9437.JPG
    IMG_9437.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 395
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.49.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.49.42 PM.png
    591.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

@invinciblesummer Thanks for sharing so much detail about your experience! I'm tempted to say the only way to be sure you get a truly "fancy" fancy cake is to ask for one with fondant over the buttercream, but I've seen some pretty plain examples of those too, so in the end it may be a crapshoot. :rolleyes:

IMHO the screen prints can be hit or miss and tend to be a design crutch that discourages the decorator from getting really creative, so I've taken to specifying "no screen prints!" on all my cake orders.

But I'm glad that you found it to be a mostly positive experience overall and I appreciate all the photos!

I've been to WDW a lot but never got a cake before.
We will be celebrating our 7th Wedding Anniversary while staying at Boulder Ridge Villas in September. I was thinking of doing the Storybook Dining Character Dinner for that night (we will have our 3yo and 10month old with us also) and was thinking maybe of getting a cake, BUT the meal comes with desert so I think it might be a bit too much.
Do you think that we should have a more simple meal somewhere else and get a cake, or just do the Character Meal that night?
If we do the cake, how do I go about this? This thread is LONG and I can't read every single post so was hoping someone could narrow down some details for me please.

If we do the cake, how do I go about this? This thread is LONG and I can't read every single post so was hoping someone could narrow down some details for me please.

You don’t have to read the whole thread: All the answers are in Posts 1 & 2. Also, you can have the cake delivered straight to your room at any time during your stay. It doesn’t have to be at the restaurant on the night of your dinner.

Sorry about the delay on this one - I wasn't sure I wanted to post it as I wasn't the happiest with what we received and didn't want to be a downer but I know it can be super helpful to others looking to order so here it goes! Also - sorry for the length??? I didn't realize I had so much to say and then I couldn't cut anything out hahahaha

I called December 12th for an 8inch birthday cake (the smallest size they had) for my niece to be delivered to Coral Reef one week later on December 20th. I called the Epcot bakery and left a message and Claudia got back to me within 2 hours which I thought was amazing. I didn't ask for much I just wanted it to be princess themed and say "Happy Birthday Princess Mia". Claudia suggested a screen print of the princesses and adding an age so we ended up with "Happy 4th Birthday Princess Mia" which I liked. The base price was $40 I believe and adding the screen print bumped the price to $70 which I felt was fair at the time. Claudia sent a confirmation email and I was officially excited because I knew my niece and my whole family would really love the surprise.

However, life happens when you're busy making other plans. The day we arrived at WDW it was raining and the next day we were supposed to go to MK then Epcot for dinner but there were thunderstorms and tornado warnings so my family decided that we would forgo the parks that day. I was panicking because what would happen to the cake?! Thankfully I could email Claudia since no one in my family knew and I could NOT have gotten away with calling when we were cooped up in the room together all day. She was beyond helpful with moving the date for the delivery of the cake via email. I was a tiny bit nervous that it wouldn't be there but decided to trust that it would turn out fine and we rescheduled for 2 days later.

Now, thankfully having read through this thread pretty thoroughly I knew to be the one to check in. SURPRISE: printed nice and big on the ticket was the exact cake order and then stamped in red was either celebrate or celebration (I can't remember which). I managed to check-in alone, get the ticket and hide it from my family lol. Unfortunately, our waiter was not clued into the fact that it was a surprise (even though I made it clear when I checked in that it was a surprise from everyone) and kind of blew it a little by asking about it after we'd finished our meal. Totally not his fault that he didn't know but I had to deal with my sister laughing at me for being so "extra" a few minutes earlier than expected :rotfl:

My niece LOVED the cake. She thought it was "so beautiful" and she was so excited when she saw it coming to HER but she didn't want to eat it LOL. She had a few bites but that was literally it. She said it was good but wasn't into eating any more of it lol. And while it took me some time to really appreciate it I do agree it was beautiful. It was sparkly and cute and thankfully the 4-year-old liked it. However, I still do not at all think it was worth $70. The screen print of the princesses was blurry & that's not because I took a blurry photo - the screen print was just really blurry and that was extremely disappointing. I've also just seen so many GORGEOUS designs on this thread that I guess I was a bit underwhelmed when we just essentially got nothing design-wise aside from the screen print and edible glitter. I do chalk that up to myself since I really didn't give any other directions besides "princess themed". However, I thought giving them free rein on the design would still yield a design at the minimum and I feel like we just got an almost plain cake with a screen print. I've seen Pop food court cakes more themed than this one on this thread and I want to be sorry for saying that but I can't.

The cake itself was super delicious though!! It was chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and one of the tastiest cakes we've had at WDW...but we could've gotten 6+ specialty cupcakes for the same price as this cake at any bakery in-park and they would've been just as delicious. It was also way too big for us which I knew going in but it was their smallest cake and I wanted to make my niece's birthday special. Once we ate our slices though and saw we had so much leftover we were like "what are we going to do with all this?" :confused3 That's when my niece said she wanted to give a piece to a little girl sitting nearby and we thought that was a wonderful idea. We're always telling her that "sharing is caring" so we couldn't really be like "well no you can't just share your birthday cake with a perfect stranger" without feeling like super big jerks. We asked if we could give some away to other diners but the waiter said they couldn't help with that (which I understood but my sister was like "but why not??") but if we wanted to leave it to staff we could leave it in the back. My sister didn't think it was very nice for them to want to keep it for themselves and not share with other diners and so talked them into giving us extra plates. We cut some very large slices to give away to other families/parties and she took my niece around to explain this was her birthday cake and she wanted to share. Two families were happy to accept birthday cake but that was it. They asked like 4 other parties who were like "no thnx" and we were all ????????? I mean...I'm always here for a free dessert but to each their own hahaha. So we ended up having quite a bit left which is what we were trying to avoid by cutting such large slices in the first place so we ended up literally having cake for days.

Overall, I would definitely order another cake from WDW but probably not from Epcot. We also didn't really enjoy Coral Reef and won't be returning so there's that. Both cake ordering experiences were great and WDW cake staff are so accommodating and helpful that I would absolutely order again. However, I think if I do order another cake I would give more details about what I'd like to see and discuss designs more in-depth. I don't think this particular cake was worth what I paid design-wise but it was delicious and my niece loved it and thought it was beautiful and that's really all I wanted so I guess I can still put it in the win column.

I am sorry to hear this was your experience. Now I am a little nervous, because I ordered a Haunted Mansion cake with a 2D screen print of the ghosts. I did not want an expensive cake, but when you are already spending $75, maybe the fondant layer is really not that big of a deal. @lurkyloo do you think the addition of the fondant keeps this type of simplistic design from happening?

I am sorry to hear this was your experience. Now I am a little nervous, because I ordered a Haunted Mansion cake with a 2D screen print of the ghosts. I did not want an expensive cake, but when you are already spending $75, maybe the fondant layer is really not that big of a deal. @lurkyloo do you think the addition of the fondant keeps this type of simplistic design from happening?

I would say that it will *usually* make the cake look more polished (though there have been a few underwhelming fondant cakes posted here), and it doesn't boost the price that much—maybe $12? Where did you order the cake from?

Hello. I would like to order a cake to be delivered to our room at Caribbean Beach resort for our trip in June. I would like a fancy, fondant covered cake. I have read the first two posts, but I'm wondering if anyone has an recent experience with ordering for this resort. I see the info listed says to call Shutters; is this still a good number now that the restaurant name has changed due to the recent construction? Or would I be better off calling the number for Boardwalk Inn? Thanks for any advice.

Hello. I would like to order a cake to be delivered to our room at Caribbean Beach resort for our trip in June. I would like a fancy, fondant covered cake. I have read the first two posts, but I'm wondering if anyone has an recent experience with ordering for this resort. I see the info listed says to call Shutters; is this still a good number now that the restaurant name has changed due to the recent construction? Or would I be better off calling the number for Boardwalk Inn? Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, the name of the restaurant doesn't matter (though I have updated the post). The point is that you have to call the table-service restaurant at the resort to place your order. If you call BoardWalk Bakery, they will tell you they don't deliver cakes to Caribbean Beach even though they technically do—IF you place your order through Caribbean Beach.

Hi there! I ordered a mini cake in December at CBR. I believe I called the number listed in the second post of this thread? I def called 407-934-2830. I got someone on the phone literally the first time I called and they thought I wanted it delivered to my room but when I asked they deliver it to Sebastian’s (the new Shutters) they were more than happy to arrange that. We ended up wanting to eat dinner a little earlier than I had anticipated when making the reservation and when I went to ask if it was possible to head in early they said it was fine because the cake was already there. Great service at CBR for cakes in my recent ordering experience!!

I would say that it will *usually* make the cake look more polished (though there have been a few underwhelming fondant cakes posted here), and it doesn't boost the price that much—maybe $12? Where did you order the cake from?

I ordered through the resort, so it is coming from Boardwalk bakery. I have time, it is for March 4th. Do I just call Denise (my contact) and "revise" the cake, $12 at this point feels like a bargain :)

I ordered through the resort, so it is coming from Boardwalk bakery. I have time, it is for March 4th. Do I just call Denise (my contact) and "revise" the cake, $12 at this point feels like a bargain :)

If you want the add fondant, call Denise. And let us know how much they charge you extra so I can keep track! :thumbsup2

Okay so we are starting to plan our First Disney World Trip for my daughter's 9th birthday. We will be there in September I have few questions: 1. How early can I reach out and start planning and ordering her cake? 2. How expensive is it going to be to get a full size 2 tier cake(not a mini cake)? Right now we have a $200 budget but I am willing to up that with in reason to get her what she wants. We got really lucky 6 years ago when we went to Disneyland for her big brothers birthday and he got a huge 3d treasure chest for his birthday cake that only costed us $240 with tax and tip. I am not sure if we will be able to get something quite as nice for the same budget but I am hopeful. We will be having her birthday dinner at Ohana and she wants a Stitch themed cake and would love it if they could put angel( the pink stitch) on the cake as well.

Hi there! I ordered a mini cake in December at CBR. I believe I called the number listed in the second post of this thread? I def called 407-934-2830. I got someone on the phone literally the first time I called and they thought I wanted it delivered to my room but when I asked they deliver it to Sebastian’s (the new Shutters) they were more than happy to arrange that. We ended up wanting to eat dinner a little earlier than I had anticipated when making the reservation and when I went to ask if it was possible to head in early they said it was fine because the cake was already there. Great service at CBR for cakes in my recent ordering experience!!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Okay so we are starting to plan our First Disney World Trip for my daughter's 9th birthday. We will be there in September I have few questions: 1. How early can I reach out and start planning and ordering her cake? 2. How expensive is it going to be to get a full size 2 tier cake(not a mini cake)? Right now we have a $200 budget but I am willing to up that with in reason to get her what she wants. We got really lucky 6 years ago when we went to Disneyland for her big brothers birthday and he got a huge 3d treasure chest for his birthday cake that only costed us $240 with tax and tip. I am not sure if we will be able to get something quite as nice for the same budget but I am hopeful. We will be having her birthday dinner at Ohana and she wants a Stitch themed cake and would love it if they could put angel( the pink stitch) on the cake as well.

A very simple 2-tier cake like the ones included in the wedding package starts at around $250. If you want anything more elaborate, it's going to be more expensive and can only be quoted to you by the pastry team, via the Private Dining contact listed in Post #2. They can also tell you whether they have any screen prints of Stitch and Angel. They do have a 3-D white chocolate Stitch, but not Angel. I would start calling now to find out what your options are. They will let you know when you should call to place an order for something that elaborate. Be sure to call back at least 3 days out to reconfirm all the details.

A very simple 2-tier cake like the ones included in the wedding package starts at around $250. If you want anything more elaborate, it's going to be more expensive and can only be quoted to you by the pastry team, via the Private Dining contact listed in Post #2. They can also tell you whether they have any screen prints of Stitch and Angel. They do have a 3-D white chocolate Stitch, but not Angel. I would start calling now to find out what your options are. They will let you know when you should call to place an order for something that elaborate. Be sure to call back at least 3 days out to reconfirm all the details.

Thank you Lurkyloo!! Looks like I will need to expand my budget some and I will start calling as soon as I get the birthday girl to pin down an idea which is hopefully soon but 8 year old girls are so hard to work with.

I'm excited to see the posts about cakes at Animal Kingdom Lodge! My family is staying there this summer and I want to order a fancy cake to be delivered to the room, so please share your experiences! (I'm over here taking notes...:teeth:)
I had a fancy cake done for my parents anniversary for at jiko’s. It was awesome. One of my favorites. It looked like a zebra with fondant striped and a white chololate Minnie Mickey getting married on top all the painted elements on the cake were done in silver. It was a very well done cake. I have also gotten a few 6 inch celebration cakes there with 2d prints and let them do their own thing adding interest to the cake. They have all been great. I had pics on here but with the flicker policy change I think they r gone now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!