Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Filling = mousse-like stuff they put between the cake layers
Frosting = buttercream outside the cake (under the fondant, if you get a fondant cake); you can also have them put it between the layers instead of the mousse filling

:thumbsup2

We'd love to see photos, if you have them! :hyper:

No problem! See below :)

Both "happy birthday" signs were chocolate, as was the surrounding piece on the honey cake. Yum! Also, we got cards with both desserts signed by Pooh & friends at CP and signed by Belle at BOG. Major hits!

IMG_2774(1).JPG IMG_2371.JPG

HOLY. CRAP.

This is so confusing! :scared::duck:

So I'd like to do something special for our anniversary trip and a cake sounds like a nice idea. I think I understand everything for the most part... planning on having the cake either while we eat at Rose & Crown or Trattorio al Forno. Both of which seem doable from everything I've read. I've got two questions though. So far. ;)

1) Is the mini cake REALLY for two? I mean... cake. Who doesn't love eating a ton of cake?
2) I didn't see anything in the first post re: cupcakes but have seen pictures of them later on in the thread. Are they ordered similarly to the minicakes

AND -- which would YOU prefer? Minicake or two cupcakes?

Yes, the mini cake is good for two people, but no more than that IMO. I easily ate half of one and took the rest back to finish off for breakfast the next morning.

As for mini cake vs. cupcakes I'd go with the Mini Cake. In part because, as mentioned, it has a LOT more frosting, but also because I feel like a lot of the cupcakes I get are rather dry.

Yes. Believe me. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and there's no way I can eat more than half a minicake in one sitting. It's a whole lotta frosting!

Cupcakes aren't a standard option, and people's ability to get them varies. I'd say you have a better chance at Trattoria al Forno, but it's worth calling both of the cake numbers listed to ask.

Minicake (see "whole lotta frosting," above :teeth: )

Yes, the mini cake is good for two people, but no more than that IMO. I easily ate half of one and took the rest back to finish off for breakfast the next morning.

As for mini cake vs. cupcakes I'd go with the Mini Cake. In part because, as mentioned, it has a LOT more frosting, but also because I feel like a lot of the cupcakes I get are rather dry.

OK, mini cake it is. So I have a fairly good handle on what the heck is going on here. I think. :rotfl:
Now I've got about 5 months to scroll through all these cake threads, looking for some mini-cake inspiration. Flavors/filling is YMMV outside of chocolate and white cake, right? Is design the same way or are they happy to do what we request within reason?

Flavors/filling is YMMV outside of chocolate and white cake, right?

Yep!

Is design the same way or are they happy to do what we request within reason?

Most places will let you email them inspiration photos for the pastry chef. The Contemporary is the only one where you can always work with the pastry chef directly. (I've lucked out at BoardWalk Bakery and Animal Kingdom Lodge, though.)

The new cakes...we can only begin placing orders May 17th, correct? Or is it order now for delivery after May 17th?

And, would they personalize with two names on the ear:
Left Ear - Happy Birthday
Right Ear - (two names)

Would we look like total gluttons if I ordered two mini cakes - one for each of us?? I can't live without chocolate, lol, he can't eat it due to "allergies". And I can't think of a single theme that we would both like. :confused3

Would we look like total gluttons if I ordered two mini cakes - one for each of us?? I can't live without chocolate, lol, he can't eat it due to "allergies". And I can't think of a single theme that we would both like. :confused3

Not at all. Go for it. We were a larger party at the time (5), but we ordered a 4 layer 6 inch cake and a separate gluten free mini cake one trip. Had two cakes for leftovers and it was awesome!

Just adding another perspective on the mini cakes. I think it really depends. We're a family of five (three boys, ages 10-17) and we share a 2-tier mini cake easily. (We actually have leftovers.) We love it, it's just very very rich with (as lurkyloo mentioned) a LOT of frosting so it goes a long way for us. It really depends on how much cake you can eat. For me, it's 1/4 of the bottom layer of the mini cake.

Anyone know the price they normally charge for them to paint a white chocolate figure? I was on the phone with wilderness and they called over to contemporary and were told it would be $100!! Is that the estimate anyone else was given???

Anyone know the price they normally charge for them to paint a white chocolate figure? I was on the phone with wilderness and they called over to contemporary and were told it would be $100!! Is that the estimate anyone else was given???
That's what I believe I says in the first few posts as well.

Sounds right. I inquired about a painted Cinderella a couple years ago and I think it was a little over $100.

This thread has been a huge help! We are going to be at 1900 PF for breakfast the 23rd, and I think we are going to do a mini cake for each of us. DF and I are using ours as an excuse to taste test flavors we would want for our wedding cake, since we plan to get married down there next year, and to celebrate DSD's first trip to Disney (she's 16)!

Tried ordering a mini cake to be delivered to our room at WL through DSS (the CL services email) and they pretty much just replied with the Disney Floral and Gifts link. I replied with some mini cake pictures for reference and they replied back with "You can order chocolate-covered strawberries from Private Dining once you're there!"

[sad boop]

Are mini cakes not available at WL? I wanted to surprise my mom with a TsumTsum cake for her birthday.... :cake:

Tried ordering a mini cake to be delivered to our room at WL through DSS (the CL services email) and they pretty much just replied with the Disney Floral and Gifts link. I replied with some mini cake pictures for reference and they replied back with "You can order chocolate-covered strawberries from Private Dining once you're there!"

[sad boop]

Are mini cakes not available at WL? I wanted to surprise my mom with a TsumTsum cake for her birthday.... :cake:

Yes they are available at Wilderness Lodge. You need to call private dining at Wilderness Lodge using the number listed in Post 2 of this thread. Fancy cakes and mini cakes for Wilderness Lodge are made by the Contemporary, so they will give you an email address that you can send your pictures to.

Update in hopes anyone can offer advice. I got confirmation from chef Brian about $23 quote and being able to do what I wanted(6 inch cake with galaxy look of blue buttercream with grey writing and glitter looking like stars) and was emailed by a cast member who said he would help me place an order. I emailed him back immediately with details I confirmed with chef Brian. It has been a week since then and no replies so far. Should I just call the number to place order or keep waiting? We go in 20+ days so that's why I'm anxious to get the order placed. Also, I wasn't sure if $23 quote included delivery to room at contemporary resort or if I'm better off having it at the wave (was thinking California grill but we like the menu at the wave better) so I can take leftovers back to room with us instead of being charged extra.

[sad boop]

Yeah, our cake plans were a total wash. We were going to get 3 mini cakes to be brought out after our 1900PF breakfast, and Pat told me they couldn't do mini cakes in anything other than vanilla or chocolate with vanilla or chocolate filling. (Strike 1). Then she told me that a custom decorated mini cake would be about $90. (Strike 2). Then she suggested we do a 6" cake for each of us, which we could get all the flavors we wanted except the orange cake. Then she told me it would be $105/cake for the custom decorating. (Strike 3, we quit!)

So disappointed in her customer service too, she was pretty abrupt, like she thought I was a kid calling and yanking her chain. I've tried calling POR private dining, but she ends up being the one that returns the calls. Not dealing with her again. Nope.

Edit: She did also make a point to tell me how busy they were and that they're "making cakes into November" right now. Uh, no. They might be taking ORDERS into November, but if they're already making the cakes for November's orders, I'm not sure I want a Disney cake in the first place. Yuck!

Last month at GF SL, I had 2 mini cakes delivered to our room. Prior to our arrival, I spoke with Pat on the phone. She made the cakes exactly as requested and they were delivered to our room exactly when requested.

The pink one was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and filling. The purple one was yellow cake with chocolate frosting and filling. These cakes were by far the most delicious cakes we've had at Disney - they were VERY moist and fresh!

I was quoted $40 each. The total charge was on my final invoice and was $102.80.

I thought it was kind of expensive considering the sizes, but the presentation and taste were excellent.

SL bday cakes without names.jpg

IMG_4261.JPG IMG_4262.JPG IMG_4285.JPG IMG_4286.JPG

Update in hopes anyone can offer advice. I got confirmation from chef Brian about $23 quote and being able to do what I wanted(6 inch cake with galaxy look of blue buttercream with grey writing and glitter looking like stars) and was emailed by a cast member who said he would help me place an order. I emailed him back immediately with details I confirmed with chef Brian. It has been a week since then and no replies so far. Should I just call the number to place order or keep waiting? We go in 20+ days so that's why I'm anxious to get the order placed. Also, I wasn't sure if $23 quote included delivery to room at contemporary resort or if I'm better off having it at the wave (was thinking California grill but we like the menu at the wave better) so I can take leftovers back to room with us instead of being charged extra.

Call the Contemporary resort, ask to be transferred to Private Dining, and place the order that way. Let them know there is an email with all the details. Then call back the same way about 2 or 3 days before your trip and reconfirm everything. Room delivery incurs the standard private dining 18% service charge + $3 fee, so having it delivered to the Wave will save you a bit.

Call the Contemporary resort, ask to be transferred to Private Dining, and place the order that way. Let them know there is an email with all the details. Then call back the same way about 2 or 3 days before your trip and reconfirm everything. Room delivery incurs the standard private dining 18% service charge + $3 fee, so having it delivered to the Wave will save you a bit.
THAnk you so much!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter