Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is for cakes ONLY, mods feel free to delete this.

Tuxedo Strawberries w/White Chocolate Mickey

Price: $50 (w/tax and tip $65) June 2008
Strawberries $5 each, Mickey $25

Grand Floridian Bakery, delivered to room.

I ordered this two weeks prior from PD and the day of I called to confirm delivery, they lost my order. A manager arranged to rush the order and it arrived on time. Always call to confirm!!!

260.jpg

I did a taste test of the $21 cakes you can order at the podium of most WDW restaurants, comparing the Sara Lee cakes that you get at Magic Kingdom restaurants to the WDW bakery-made cakes you get everywhere else. Sara Lee won. ;)

Cake Made By WDW Bakery

Price: $21
Date Received: 9/21/08
Cake info: We ordered this from our server after we sat down. It was made by the Epcot bakery. It was a measly 3 inches high (it looked like an EasyBake Oven cake!) and tasted like a stale Twinkie covered in whipped cream... :crazy2:

5bca0c70.jpg

Cake Made By Sara Lee

Price: $21
Date Received: 9/23/08
Cake info:This Sara Lee cake was the size of a minicake you’d buy at a grocery store – about 6 inches high – and tasted like one too. The frosting was thick buttercream and the cake was moist. I happen to think grocery store cakes are decent for what they are and what they cost, and I hate whipped cream frosting, so that’s the way this taste test skewed....:cutie:

93b7ba31.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

Price:$40+tax+ gratuity
Date Received: Feb 8, 2008
Cake info - Flavors, special requests, etc: Marble cake, Chocolate buttercream frosting
Anything else special about that particular cake:We were of course celebrating 3 B-day's at once. So we had to do a pretty basic cake. But it was tasty and so big. We even gave half to another family celebrating 2 birthdays.

DD's birthday cake from May 2008.

It took quite a few phone calls and hours to finally connect with someone who understood what I wanted and agree to get the cake made. I was finally able to order the cake through the BW bakery but it was transfered to the CR bakery as it is closer to MK and CRT.

Cake: 10" vanilla with strawberry custard filling, rolled fondant with image transfers on the sides, flowers and plaque were provided, egg topper was provided by us.
Made by: CR bakery
Delivered to: CRT (for breakfast)
Cost: IIFR $95 ($45 for cake, $30 for images, bal is tax and 18% grat)

100_2999-1.jpg

100_3001.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3007.jpg

100_3008.jpg

100_3004.jpg

100_3005.jpg

100_3006.jpg

I had very definate ideas for the cake. I sent drawings of my ideas and pix of the topper, complete with measurements and weight so they made the space sturdy enough to support it. This is the drawing I sent:
100_2823.jpg

This was scrumptious and more than enough for 7 people over two meals. We gave away at least 1/3rd of the cake.

I just ordered DD a cake from Pop to pick up in the food court. It's an 8 inch vanilla cake with white chocolate filling and white chocolate frosting. It's going to be around $30. I'll post picks on the other thread when we get home.

The Cinderella cake had a really cool egg toy looking thing (I have boys I'm not up on these things anymore :confused3:rotfl2:)I just read it was provided if I send a special toy will they put it on, I was thinking maybe an actual mickey car or if the pixar thing is old a lightning mcqueen toy or does it have to be a real topper?

I have a cake question....I have an ADR for DH on his birthday at Kona's, I guess I can call the cake hotline, and see what all they need, do you have to provide cc info upfront, or pay for it when you get it that night? Also, can they make a grumpy cake? He LOVES grumpy!!!!! We'll have 5 of us that night, and I don't want the usual frozen stuff!! I can get him a mickey cake to share with DS, his birthday is the day after DH's!! :) So I can do one for BOTH of them I guess, then take the leftovers back to the resort. I have plenty of time, so any info I can get would be very nice. I just want to make this a very nice birthday for DH, since next year he'll be 40, and my dad will embarrass him very badly!! HAHAHA

The Cinderella cake had a really cool egg toy looking thing (I have boys I'm not up on these things anymore :confused3:rotfl2:)I just read it was provided if I send a special toy will they put it on, I was thinking maybe an actual mickey car or if the pixar thing is old a lightning mcqueen toy or does it have to be a real topper?

I can't answer your specific question, but can offer another suggestion. For our DS's cake, we brought a #1 & #7 candle. (He's always had the #s, & we wanted to keep the tradition.) My DH walked over to catch our server coming out of the kitchen, & gave them to her. She put them on the cake, before bringing it to the table. If you're going to bring something fairly large, I would have them note that, so they can leave a place for it on the cake.

I have a cake question....I have an ADR for DH on his birthday at Kona's, I guess I can call the cake hotline, and see what all they need, do you have to provide cc info upfront, or pay for it when you get it that night? Also, can they make a grumpy cake? He LOVES grumpy!!!!! We'll have 5 of us that night, and I don't want the usual frozen stuff!! I can get him a mickey cake to share with DS, his birthday is the day after DH's!! :) So I can do one for BOTH of them I guess, then take the leftovers back to the resort. I have plenty of time, so any info I can get would be very nice. I just want to make this a very nice birthday for DH, since next year he'll be 40, and my dad will embarrass him very badly!! HAHAHA

:rotfl2:

We had to give a CC #, but they didn't charge us until we got the cake. My DS's cake had Dumbo on it, so Grumpy shouldn't be a problem. It was an edible image. We ordered his from the Epcot, cake line, & it was a big disappointment. Hopefully, yours will be better.

I think I might just go with a 10" with their names on it, and HB of course, chocolate with the chocolate peanut butter filling...that's what I'm leaning towards at this moment, that could change!! HAHA I just hope they can deliver it to our dinner place!! :)

For the slipper dessert at CRT, I didn't realize there was chocolate and white chocolate. I have only ever seen the white chocolate until this thread. I ordered one yesterday but just said the chocolate slipper dessert. Which one do you think I will get? I hate to call back and be a pain in the butt.:confused3

For the slipper dessert at CRT, I didn't realize there was chocolate and white chocolate. I have only ever seen the white chocolate until this thread. I ordered one yesterday but just said the chocolate slipper dessert. Which one do you think I will get? I hate to call back and be a pain in the butt.:confused3

From what I've read most people get the white chocolate slipper and the dark chocolate one was a complete surprise to all that received it and a rare occurance.

Not sure if you can call and request one or the other or if its up to them.

From what I've read most people get the white chocolate slipper and the dark chocolate one was a complete surprise to all that received it and a rare occurance.

Not sure if you can call and request one or the other or if its up to them.

Thanks for the quick response! This is a surprise for DD and I think I'll just see which one she gets. She likes both so it won't be a big deal.

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not, but here it goes...I'm going to be going on the Podcast cruise in May with my mom and my moms best friend's family....we are going to be on the cruise for Mother's Day and i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to have a special cake ordered on the cruise???

Any help would be most appreciated!

Hi Addicted to Dopey,
I 'd really like to know this too. I inquired on the DCL boards and was told that they have a standard "square" cake, that has a chocolate celebration sign on it. Not very pretty, just okay. I'm not sure if they have anything special like the bakeries in the parks and resorts do but I'm looking for something spectalular for DH and mine's 20th anniversary. Maybe someone here or there can help us.:goodvibes

092.jpg

This is a cake I got at the YC....sadly I didn't know my step-granddaughter was allergic to strawberries, it had strawberries in the filling.

094.jpg

This one was for my dd's 13th birthday....GF Cafe. Very yummy.

The Nemo one was about $100, about a year ago; the Tink one was $85, in '06.

Is Tinker Bell white chocolate or can you not eat it?

We will be celebrating DD 2 birthday @ WDW. I called today to order a special cake possibly her favorite princess' and I was told they don't do theme cakes. What is the point in the cake hotline if all I want is a mickey cake that I can order when I walk in ??? :confused3

For something like this, you'll want to go somewhere that has a bakery, like a GF restaurant. You'll need to know what you want, and let them know that you know that it's not customary to get a large cake for just a few people, but you know what you'd like, and could they please work with you.

Don't give up, it just might take some doing!

goofy4tink wow thats a big bummer about the nemo cake because it looks HUGE and i'm sure u needed everyone u had to eat it :rotfl:, really beautiful though

I was told that if you want a full cake (not a cupcake) it must be ordered ahead of time, you can not get a cake upon walking in, regardless of the design (I was told this by a cm at a restaurant, so it could be wrong LOL)

092.jpg

This is a cake I got at the YC....sadly I didn't know my step-granddaughter was allergic to strawberries, it had strawberries in the filling.

094.jpg

This one was for my dd's 13th birthday....GF Cafe. Very yummy.

The Nemo one was about $100, about a year ago; the Tink one was $85, in '06.

our cake was for my in laws 45th anniversary
$50 from the Grand Floridian on 10/2/08
Whipped Cream frosting, Strawberries and bavarian cream inside.
Aboslutely worth every penny. We all still talk about how delcicious that cake was!
181975cake-med.jpg

181975cake2-med.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!