Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

I'll be nursing dd1 (her birthday is today!:cloud9:) in WDW in 17 days!:yay: With my 1st 2 kids (12 and 10) I was in my 20s and very self-conscious about nursing in public. Now at 37, it doesn't bother me to nurse whenever she is hungry. As a matter of fact, she is nursing now.:rotfl: I do have some udder covers, and will wear a nursing tank under my tshirts. I will be discrete, but I won't run for cover everytime she gets hungry!

I have never BF my DD's at WDW they have always been over 16m and if they were still BFing it was at bedtime only...but they also have a band that goes around belly that you wear onder your shirt so you can nurse in any shirt...it may be a little cooler than wearing a nursing tank. Here is a link to one
http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=272

There are so many cool nursing products that have come out since I had my first DD 6and a half years ago:rofl:if only I could of thought of some of them:rofl:

What a wonderful thread! I am a breastfeeding mom, and I just returned a month ago from DS's first trip to the World. I spent a lot of time nursing in the babycare centers, not because I'm uncomfortable nursing in public, but because it was hot, and mostly because it gave me a break from my in-laws ;)

I also met some wonderful women at the babycare centers, and we kept running into each other because our babies were on the same feeding schedule. It was great to have that sense of camraderie!

I really put a lot of thought into the shirts I wore on vacation to make sure they were nursing friendly. I don't like having to lift my shirt and show off my post baby flab and stretch marks, so I bought shirts that either buttoned up the front or had v-necklines or stretchy necklines so I could get the girls out with minimal fuss. :laughing:

The only ride I nursed in was the Hall of Presidents. Apparently baby takes after Daddy and thinks that it is boring, because that is the only ride he fussed on for the whole vacation! It was no problem at all.

We're returning to WDW in June, and I'm looking forward to another breastfeeding vacation.

DS is almost 15 months but is still nursing about three times a day. I'm subbing to this thread because if he is still nursing in September it will be nice to hear pointers and experiences of from people who have been there done that at WDW.

Good for you for continuing to breastfeed your 15 month old! I nursed my last son all the way through my last pregnancy and he is still nursing 1-2 times a day. I have zero support from my friends and family(except my DH) because everyone thinks that once they turn 1, they don't need it anymore. :rolleyes: I am hoping that our upcoming trip might be just what he needs to encourage him to ween. He always nurses when he wakes up in the morning and since we won't have time to leisurely lay in bed while away I am hoping he will "forget" about "Mama's drink". lol

Brings to mind a question to pose though.... has anyone PUMPED at WDW?
How (travel pump, hand, electric) and where (car, room, baby center.... potty:eek:)
When my DS was 11 months DH and I went to WDW for 2 nights for F&W. I brought my pump into Epcot with us and pumped every 3 hours(in the baby care center, I never saw another woman in there which I thought was kinda sad) to keep up my supply. It killed me to dump all that liquid gold though. :scared: I brought my Medela from home with batteries in it.

Non-Disney related, I pump in the car all the time. I think about how FUNNY it would be if DH got pulled over while I was pumping. :lmao:

I have nursed lots of babies at WDW. I never even thought twice about it until coming to the DIS and seeing all the haters. ;) Seriously, if us BFing Mom's told a bottle feeding Mom that her method of feeding her child offended us and we didn't want to see it. LOL. Can you imagine the repercussion? :scared1:

I decided early on that I would feed my baby whenever and wherever I needed to. If I don't have something to cover up with then I do my best using my shirt. I have actually found people stare less if you don't use a blanket or nursing cover(I hate those stupid "bibs") because it just looks like you are holding your baby close to you while they are sleeping. :thumbsup2

But for public nursing I mostly use my sling. (or mei tai)That way I can comfortably nurse walking around and we don't have to stop and wait forever. I am always finding myself tagged on FB in other peoples pictures from church functions that I am nursing in. LOL. Obviously no one realizes what I am doing.

bf.jpg

At a church picnic this spring.

Here I am nursing my 5 month old at Disney.
bf2.jpg

We are going again in 11 days and I will most definitely be nursing my 9 month old at the parks.

And I also try and give other nursing Mom's an encouraging smile when I see them nursing in public.

Funny nursing at WDW story:

I was waiting with my little ones while my DH and older boys to rode BTMR, I was looking for a spot to sit on a bench outside the exit of the ride. I saw a woman breastfeeding her baby. No cover, she had her baby(probably 7-10 months) in the football hold and you could most definitely see her breast. I thought, "PERFECT! No one will give me a second glance if I sit next to her." LOL The funny thing is after we were sitting there a few minutes(her exposed breast was on my side of the bench) a man came and sat on her other side. He was Totally clueless that he was sharing a bench with two breastfeeding mamas. lol. It was so funny.

Great Thread!

I've nursed 2 babies at WDW, most recently on our last trip a few months ago. (I'm still nursing my youngest.)

My advice actually will probably deviate from most on this thread:

-- ditch any type of nursing top. I found that all of them actually and up exposing more flesh than just wearing a loose-fitting t-shirt. You can then lift the shirt to latch the baby (and nothing shows from the bottom because the baby is covering it) and then you can let the shirt lie right above the baby's mouth, covering everything above. My kids would never allow any blanket covering them or what not, and after buying too many very expensive nursing tops/tanks, I just followed the advice above and it has been much easier.

-- rides were a horrible place for me to nurse. My babies were waay too interested in what was going on to latch. I always just found a quiet bench or used the baby centers.

-- After the recent deaths of babies in them, I would be VERY careful about using slings that have babies lie down (as opposed to being upright).

Nursing in WDW is sooo easy, because it is such a baby friendly place. In fact, that is how we ended up starting our annual trips -- I had a 6 month old, was about to return to work, but I first wanted an easy vacation....so we went to Disney. We have now been back every year since. Now that I think about it, I have either been breastfeeding or pregnant on every Disney trip we have taken!

OT Alert:

The deaths were related to a specific sling, which is a mass produced death trap. I thought so from the first time I saw them on the shelves. A properly used pouch sling or ring sling, wrap or mei tai is 100% safe. I have worn my babies in a ring sling from 1 day old on. It isn't a sling that has killed babies it is the Mom's misuse of the sling. (Not blaming the Mom, but rather proper teaching of how to use a sling)

Every ring sling I have ever bought or sold has always had as the VERY FIRST rule of use a warning to always be able to see baby and make sure you have them positioned so that their airway is open. Same airway rule applies to car seats. :o)

Edited to add: I have nursed 6 children and never bought an article of nursing clothing. lol. It's so expensive. I just wear a thin tank top under my shirt when we go somewhere so I can pull up my shirt and pull down the top of the tank and no exposure.

We just returned and I nursed a couple of times in the Baby Centers and it was GREAT! So relaxing! I was in the middle of weaning, as my baby girl is 11 months old...the weaning did not go so well when we were there but when I did have to nurse her, the baby centers were fabulous. Too bad there weren't a couple of them in each park. :)

We just returned and I nursed a couple of times in the Baby Centers and it was GREAT! So relaxing! I was in the middle of weaning, as my baby girl is 11 months old...the weaning did not go so well when we were there but when I did have to nurse her, the baby centers were fabulous. Too bad there weren't a couple of them in each park. :)

It would be much better if each park had at least 2. It's not very convenient to trek all the way across the park to get to one of them. I bet they would be lots more use if there was 2.

As a new member here I just wanted to say I am extremely glad to read this thread (and to have done so while nursing my 4 month old, hehe) We just booked our first trip to Disney (as a family, I’ve been several times years ago) for September and will be traveling with our infant son who is exclusively breastfed (he will be 8months when we go).

I have no issues nursing in public and won’t have any issues doing so at Disney - I don’t use blankets or covers as my son gets extremely frustrated with them now at 4 months old, so I’m sure at 8 he really is going to hate them. I usually wear a cami or nursing tank under my top if its not a nursing top so my belly isn’t showing, and then my shirt covers the top of my breast and my baby covers the rest. There are also tops called “modest middles” that are like tanks but without anything covering your breasts - they are pricey though and a regular nursing tank or cami works fine for me.

Even though I don’t use a blanket I am still discrete about it. I’ve had servers at restaurants not realize what was going on, people sit next to me, etc. There is always the possibility that a little bit of nipple might show when my son latches on or is done, but usually its not an issue and its rude to stare regardless what someone is doing. I’m confident enough to NIP but my bigger concern is nursing if its really hot, so its nice to get some tips on where to escape the heat if needed!!

As for pumping - I can see the need. If someone exclusively pumps it would be easier to pump the baby a bottle than to try to drag around a bunch of frozen milk for the day. There are decent hand held pumps or you can even buy a battery pack - I have one for my Medela that runs it off of 8 AA batteries. While I have no issues nip and will nurse when and wherever typically, I don’t think I could pump in public though, hehe.

As for nursing bras I have been having issues with all my bras peeking out the tops of my summery shirts - and they aren’t even low cut! Never mind trying to wear a v-neck. I just ordered a Bravado bra - they are pricey but if you sign up for emails they send out coupon codes and I was able to get a 25% off one for mother’s day. From what I hear they are fantastic bras!

I wish I could nurse in my slings - I’ve never been able to figure it out though (and as mentioned it’s the infantino bag slings that are dangerous, I have a ring sling and use the snuggle hold which keeps baby upright). I’ll be bringing my beco to Disney but I don’t anticipate being able to nurse in that, either.

Thanks again for a great thread!

This thread has great timing for me! We are going to WDW in October when DS will be 13 months. He only get breastmilk right now, so I am assuming I will still be nursing him on our trip. Thanks for all the tips! I nursed both of my older 2 kids, but we ever went to WDW while they were nursing.

It took me 4 kids to figure out nursing in a sling. LOL! The key is to attach baby as is the sling isn't there and then tighten it to support the baby.:thumbsup2 Also easier if you stick the baby's legs out of the side instead of trying to keep them inside the sling.

We went to WDW when DS was 6 weeks old. I carried him in a ring sling and nursed him anywhere in the park. I never once got any looks or anything (except maybe from FIL).

We leave again in 3 weeks. DS is 13 months and still nursing. I am a little more nervous about nursing him in the parks since he is much bigger and can't nurse in the sling very comfortably. Hopefully he will be content to only nurse a few times in the parks and will be satisfied with snacks/food.

What do you use to cover your toddler when nursing?

I am a huge fan of Henley style shirts since I can just unbutton the top buttons and then button right back up--no lifting of the shirts.

What do you use to cover your toddler when nursing?

My DD was 18 months on our last trip. She also went at 10 months and was nursing more then. As a toddler, we pretty much were able to nurse in the resort room and the baby care centers. I preferred the BCC at this age mostly b/c when she wanted to nurse it was b/c she was over-stimulated and needed to take a nap. It was much easier to nurse her in a dark room and stay there for awhile.

I never use a cover for nursing. There's no way either of my girls would have tolerated one!

As for nursing at WDW in general, I never had a problem. I just nursed whenever the need arose. I can't even remember if I used nursing tops or not. I think I used those belly band things. I'm way more concerned about flashing my stomach than flashing my nipple.

If any BF'ing moms are nervous about NIP at WDW, don't be! I see more nursing moms there in one week than I would in 6 months back at home. It's commonplace. As it should be. :thumbsup2

I never use a cover for nursing. There's no way either of my girls would have tolerated one!

My 9month old is like that. If I cover him he tries to eat the cover instead. That gives everyone a much bigger show :scared:

I looked at those covers and it seems they are discontinuing them. The only sizes left were xs, s and 2x & 3X. I wonder how easy they would be to make?

I also cannot figure out nursing in a sling. I have a hotslings sling and just cannot do it. I did however pick up an Ergo Baby Carrier yesterday for our DS. I am so excited to use it and wonder if anyone has ever tried nursing in one of those?

A
I’ll be bringing my beco to Disney but I don’t anticipate being able to nurse in that, either.

Thanks again for a great thread!

I did however pick up an Ergo Baby Carrier yesterday for our DS. I am so excited to use it and wonder if anyone has ever tried nursing in one of those?

A Beco is very like an Ergo and I had great luck nursing in ours. It does take a second person to adjust it all for me though. My DD was 17 months and 19 months on our trips this spring so it might be height that works for or against you though. I just loosen the straps and the waist strap a bit. So instead of sitting on my natural waist she is a little lower on my hips. Then I have someone loosen the back strap till it feels "right"- enough slack for her to pull back if she gets warm or wants a break. I usually wiggle my shirt up in the front before I strap on and I wear a nursing tank underneath in the same color (white or black) so if it works up in the back you can't tell. Then just peek out the vital part and she's set!

This has been GREAT late at night, she nurses, falls asleep and I don't have to carry a toddler as dead weight! I :love: my Ergo.
I have an AngelPax as well but nursing in it doesnt work quite as well. The shoulders slip just a little and she doesnt feel quite as secure.

Loving this thread! I am a 3rd time mom and currently have a 3 month old nursling :love: We will be at WDW when he turns 7 months and will still be nursing him! I love reading all the various places people have tried. Unfortunately so far he is a sloooooooow nurser, so not thinking a short ride will do much for him. I do plan on bringing a couple slings with me (Beco for sure, maybe my Hotsling) but I am very well endowed and have never been able to nurse with a sling. I will have to find somewhere to sit! Where is the baby care center in the MK? I probably won't use it unless we are near it.

Love this thread! My son is 14 months now. I breastfeed a lot at home here at Disneyland. I also breastfed at WDW last August when he was 6 months.

I love Target's nursing tank tops - they are not very expensive. They work well for me - I always wear them under my shirts when I am going to be nursing a lot in public. I don't use a cover because DS would just pull it off. If I lift up the top shirt and unclip the nursing tank, I am completely covered so I nurse pretty much anywhere and no one really knows what I'm doing.

At WDW, the Animal Kingdom and Studios have individual nursing rooms. At Magic Kingdom, there is a larger nursing room where about 7 moms can nurse together. The chairs are arranged in a circle, so you can talk with each other. I never used EPCOT's - I just wasn't near the center when I needed to nurse.

Spots I remember - At this age, DS would nurse anywhere - rides usually didn't distract him very much. Now that he is older, he doesn't need to nurse as often, of course, but if he is hungry, he will still tune out the rides and nurse.

Animal Kingdom - Finding Nemo show, and outside of the safari stroller exit there is a circle of benches that are set within the trees.

Magic Kingdom: Presidents, Carousel of Progress, TTA (which was closed when I was there)
(At Disneyland, DS always nurses on Pirates, the ride is longer there - poor kid is going to have a complex that pirates always make him hungry!)

EPCOT - Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, American Adventure, Lots of nooks and crannies in World Showcase

Studios - any show (o:

My nursing story (kpm76 - you reminded me of this!) I was nursing DS at EPCOT in France. I was sitting on a large planter facing a brown gate in the quiet courtyard past the perfume shop (closer to UK side of the pavilion). Next thing I know, Belle walks in and she is surrounded by hoards of autograph seekers! So much for quiet!

Here is the info on the locations of the Baby Care Stations from Allears.net:

Where are these Baby Stations?

Magic Kingdom -- at the end of Main Street, behind the Crystal Palace Restaurant on you way to Adventureland. It is tucked away in a small courtyard near the first aid station.

Epcot -- on the backside of the Odyssey Restaurant on the walkway from Test Track to Mexico. This is a very neat station as many times the workers from the Mexican Pavilion come over to relieve the cast members. It is great to talk to them about their travels and country while you are taking a break.

Disney's Hollywood Studios -- just inside the entrance near guest services on the left as you enter.

Animal Kingdom -- near the Creature Comforts gift shop on the left side of The Tree of Life.

We're leaving in 14 days and it will be my first trip as a nursing mom. I have a Bella Band I used to hold up my pants when I was pregnant. I wonder if I could use that as a subsitute for what was suggested earlier. I'll report on how well it worked while we're on the trip. I'm so glad this thread was started :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter