***Official August 2023 Thread***

We cleared out our last day to ONLY eat at F&W, but there will be other times as well.

Cleared out a Tappan Edo reservation at 6:20 on the 20th. Changed it to an MK day and got Citricos instead; was really happy it was available.

35 days to go for us. This week I have been:
-stalking crowd news (because it has been slow and I have irrationally convinced myself everyone is arriving on the 12th with us)

-stalking 2 of my ADR's to see if I can move them a little even though it's really not critical (not being able to move them is what has me really irrationally convinced everyone is arriving on the 12th with us)

-perusing the F&W news and menus and considering adding a 6th day of park tickets so we can add an afternoon/evening at EPCOT to our plans (we have one full EPCOT day and historically that has been enough but here we are)

-turning my dining room table into a staging area for odds and ends I've purchased or gathered from around the house. So that I can have a panic attack about how much luggage we'll need to bring even though I am a notorious under-packer who hates packing even one extra band-aid because we live in a world where Target can have an item at my resort within hours.

-convincing my parents that no, we do not need a 2 BR that sleeps 9 because we are 4 and even though there are great flight deals right now we really don't need someone to come on our 8 night trip to take the kids to dinner ONE night

Husband and I booked a last minute trip for August 25-27 for my birthday before our AP's expire. Staying Coronado GDT with the 35% AP discount. Surprised it was still available this late in the game!

One day at the Animal Kingdom and one day at Hollywood Studios. Dinner at Takumi Tei. Lots of resort time, and I'm hoping to hit a few attractions we won't be doing on our November Weekend Trip with a group of friends (doing MK and EPCOT on that weekend).

Hoping for a quiet weekend! 🤞🏼

26 days to go for us! It’s our first time back since just before the covid craziness started in the world, and we are stoked!

Today I’m trying to put my foot down and solidify costumes for MNSSHP. No one in our group wants to give me any help and they’re just relying on me to tell them what to be 🙄. Anyone have any suggestions for a group of 7 besides the dwarves? 😆

26 days to go for us! It’s our first time back since just before the covid craziness started in the world, and we are stoked!

Today I’m trying to put my foot down and solidify costumes for MNSSHP. No one in our group wants to give me any help and they’re just relying on me to tell them what to be 🙄. Anyone have any suggestions for a group of 7 besides the dwarves? 😆
We are doing Haunted Mansion costumes - I'm pretty excited my daughter has agreed to a themed costume. I'm going to be the Tightrope Girl from the stretching room and my daughter is going to be the Bride.

If you have 7 I think the dwarves would be awesome! And easy. I'm hesitant to do anything too complicated knowing how hot it will be even at midnight in August.

We are doing Haunted Mansion costumes - I'm pretty excited my daughter has agreed to a themed costume. I'm going to be the Tightrope Girl from the stretching room and my daughter is going to be the Bride.
Oh my gosh, haunted mansion outfits are so wonderful! I can’t wait to see, I hope you’ll be posting pictures!

If you have 7 I think the dwarves would be awesome! And easy. I'm hesitant to do anything too complicated knowing how hot it will be even at midnight in August.

I feel similarly! I think the dwarves will be the sweet spot where my dad won’t have to put much effort into the costume (because he’s that kind of guy) and will be easily molded to fit how sweaty/hot we will all assuredly be. Thanks for the input! I was worried it was too simple/lazy but hey, can’t escape what I am haha!

Oh my gosh, haunted mansion outfits are so wonderful! I can’t wait to see, I hope you’ll be posting pictures!

I feel similarly! I think the dwarves will be the sweet spot where my dad won’t have to put much effort into the costume (because he’s that kind of guy) and will be easily molded to fit how sweaty/hot we will all assuredly be. Thanks for the input! I was worried it was too simple/lazy but hey, can’t escape what I am haha!

I've been watching some videos from last year, and you know the vloggers go to one of the first parties. I noticed hardly any of the people walking by were in costumes at all. So I feel like any effort at all is good! My daughter wanted to go all out and I convinced her I don't want to pack all that stuff or have to put on make up in that heat and humidity. Our costumes are basically tees and baseball hats.

I've been watching some videos from last year, and you know the vloggers go to one of the first parties. I noticed hardly any of the people walking by were in costumes at all. So I feel like any effort at all is good! My daughter wanted to go all out and I convinced her I don't want to pack all that stuff or have to put on make up in that heat and humidity. Our costumes are basically tees and baseball hats.
I agree, any effort is great! I only say that about my dad because he was a tough one to get on board with a Disney trip in the first place. Getting him into a costume is him putting a big effort, which I know my kids will adore and it might be the only time they see him like that.

Our costumes will probably be along the same lines, t-shirts and hats, maybe some oversized ears or an accessory here or there to distinguish who’s who.

Side note: I googled seven dwarves for costume ideas and apparently there’s some controversy right now about the Snow White live action and not having dwarves. Do you think that will make our costume some kind of statement? Good golly I hope not, I am not about that!

I agree, any effort is great! I only say that about my dad because he was a tough one to get on board with a Disney trip in the first place. Getting him into a costume is him putting a big effort, which I know my kids will adore and it might be the only time they see him like that.

Our costumes will probably be along the same lines, t-shirts and hats, maybe some oversized ears or an accessory here or there to distinguish who’s who.

Side note: I googled seven dwarves for costume ideas and apparently there’s some controversy right now about the Snow White live action and not having dwarves. Do you think that will make our costume some kind of statement? Good golly I hope not, I am not about that!
We were a group of 7 a few years ago and all went as toy story characters. Just got "tee-shirt" costumes and hats. Its so hot in August that anything more than that was too much. Something like this..

1689875086162.png

In Disney, no, I don't think so. People who are that upset with Disney's politics (or whatever is causing the controversy) are probably not going to be at the Halloween party! I mean 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is the most popular ride in MK.

My daughter was in a play last year where they were dwarves and they just wore different colored tee's and each dwarf had their name on their shirt. Like hers said "Doc" and I think there were three circles to represent buttons. Easy and comfortable! And if you have the whole crew that makes it even cuter.

Loving some of the ideas that have been thrown out! Haunted Mansion sounds awesome.

Pirates maybe? We did this for a cruise- cut up the bottom of some t-shirts, added some pirate accessories (sash, eye patch, hoop earrings and so on) and it was easy (and easy to pack). Or Cinderella and a bunch of mice? Or Monsters Inc characters- I’m sure there must be 7 of them to work with?

Sorry, late to the party but glad to find this thread!

We (me, DH, DS17, DD15) are visiting August 12-18. We've booked 3 nights at YC (Garden View), then 3 nights at GF (DVC resort studio on rented points). We last visited in August 2021, when masks were required, but the parks were blissfully half-full, and everything was a quick standby-only line except RoTR. Trying to reset and lower our expectations this time around.

Hoping for no hurricanes (just the usual seasonal/occasional thunderstorm) and no flight cancellations as we fly from Buffalo!

Last edited:
27 more days for us. Trying to prepare myself for the heat lol
It will be great. We go every August and yes it's hot but there's so much AC everywhere you get a break from it a lot. It's going to be a heat index of over 100 here in MA Thursday/Friday so not much different.

27 more days for us. Trying to prepare myself for the heat lol
I was at our local amusement park today (90 and beyond humid) and I was trying to figure out how on earth I’ve ever survived Disney in August before. It dawned on me that there is something with AC every fifteen feet at Disney.

Still not looking forward to that part of it but at least I always know a break from the heat isn’t too far away there.

Aug 11-19 for us! Last trip was August 2021, so this is our first genie+ trip. Looks like crowds are increasing this week. I'm hoping it slows down a little bit before we arrive.

Aug 15 & 18 MNSSHP parties -- no elaborate costumes, just Cars Tshirts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter