***Official AUGUST 2021 Check In Thread

And for Blue Bayou. Was able to get 11:30 (hope to get a waterside table one of these days!) for DDs birthday.
We have an 11:00, and are hoping for waterside, too, of course! We haven't been there yet at all, so in our case, if we can even peek at the water, it'll still be special.
But I'm not sure why the site shows BB opening at 11:30 but it gave me an 11:00 reservation. Wish me luck on that one, that something isn't terribly wrong.

And I hope you get some good pixie dust for your DD's birthday!

We have an 11:00, and are hoping for waterside, too, of course! We haven't been there yet at all, so in our case, if we can even peek at the water, it'll still be special.
But I'm not sure why the site shows BB opening at 11:30 but it gave me an 11:00 reservation. Wish me luck on that one, that something isn't terribly wrong.

And I hope you get some good pixie dust for your DD's birthday!
That is weird, even the drop down menu for times starts at 11:30. It has been about 2 years since we've gone to BB so I can't recall what their actual opening time is.

That is weird, even the drop down menu for times starts at 11:30. It has been about 2 years since we've gone to BB so I can't recall what their actual opening time is.
If I recall, I "could" have selected 11:30, and I'd gone into the reservations with every intention of selecting 11:30, thinking it was the earliest, but since 11:00 showed up and I was hoping to be in the first seating to possibly get waterfront, I assumed they were going to be open at 11 and picked that one. Now I'm getting nervous b/c I don't see anything but 11:30 mentioned anywhere.

Edited 7/15/21 to add that now BB is listing hours starting at 11:00 for my day. I can relax.

Last edited:
We wil be coming in on August 15th staying at Disneyland Hotel and then switching to the DVC villas at the Grand Californian on the 16th 20th. We have 5 day park hoppers. We are from VA and normally do WDW, this will be my kids 3rd trip to Disneyland and my 5th. The last time we were there was about 5 years ago, looking forward to being back, I love Disneyland!!!

Finally DTD restaurant reservations opened up for our Aug 19-22 trip. One less thing to worry about.

I never replied to this. I'll be at the Grand Californian 8/7-11th! So excite!

August 10th - 13th - Grand Californian

Will be the first trip to Disneyland for my DD13 and DS17 (we've been to Disney World twice). DW and I are both from out west, so grew up with Disneyland as our closest park. But we've also never been to DCA.

Excited for the kids to see the original park and dark rides. Also VERY thankful that HM will still be up when we're there - my favorite ride, and this will be my first time seeing the Hatbox Ghost!

We added a day - so now doing August 9th-13th at GC (still just with 3 days in the parks).

Also excited that we were able to snag a Blue Bayou reservation for "lunch" at 3:30pm on the 11th (we'll just call it an early dinner!). DW and I both remember seeing BB when we were young, thinking that was the "fancy" restaurant that we couldn't eat at because, well, we weren't "fancy." Getting to eat there for our 20th anniversary will be special.

If I recall, I "could" have selected 11:30, and I'd gone into the reservations with every intention of selecting 11:30, thinking it was the earliest, but since 11:00 showed up and I was hoping to be in the first seating to possibly get waterfront, I assumed they were going to be open at 11 and picked that one. Now I'm getting nervous b/c I don't see anything but 11:30 mentioned anywhere.

Edited 7/15/21 to add that now BB is listing hours starting at 11:00 for my day. I can relax.
I just went to double check my ADRs and BB now says they open at 11! I might cancel since we won't get a waterside table.
So I checked Cafe Orleans and they say they open at 11:30. Wonder if that will change as well. I'm pretty sure all Disney restaurants open at 11.

Hi all, I've probably interacted with several of you on the dining threads discussing the frustrating ADR experiences and joys of finding the right reservation.

We're going July 31-Aug 8 splitting a stay between BW mini suites right across the street and Cambria.

We'll be at DL on the 2nd and 7th and DCA on the 3rd. This will be our first California trip after going to WDW twice including in January this year.

Other than the parks, also planning a couple baseball games, 1 Angels and 1
Dodgers, a dolphin sightseeing tour as well as a few beaches and a free day to enjoy the Cambria water play area.

Looking forward to finally going to the west coast! See some of you there!

Still have to book hotel (planning on Fairfield for at least part of the trip, and may use Hilton points for a few nights at the beach), but have airfare 8/18-8/24 for my son and I, first trip to CA and Disneyland!

Still have to book hotel (planning on Fairfield for at least part of the trip, and may use Hilton points for a few nights at the beach), but have airfare 8/18-8/24 for my son and I, first trip to CA and Disneyland!
Have a awesome first trip. Fairfield is our go to hotel. This time we get to splurge and stay at Grand California.

We would go to the top floor and watch the fireworks.

August 10th - 13th - Grand Californian

Will be the first trip to Disneyland for my DD13 and DS17 (we've been to Disney World twice). DW and I are both from out west, so grew up with Disneyland as our closest park. But we've also never been to DCA.

Excited for the kids to see the original park and dark rides. Also VERY thankful that HM will still be up when we're there - my favorite ride, and this will be my first time seeing the Hatbox Ghost!
Hatbox is my daughter's favorite. I'm bummed it will be closed when we are there.

Since we are under 30 days out I thought I would post an update on what we have planned so far.

Party: Me, DD(20), DD(14), DD(20) (a friend that is like my daughter as her Mom and I are best friends). She also has friends that happened to book a vacation the same time we are there so I'm sure at some point everyone will connect and go on rides.

Grand California Aug 18th-Aug 22nd. First time at the GCH. Have stayed at the DL Hotel a couple of times but our normal go to hotel is the Fairfield.

Flights SEA to SNA at 12:03pm arrival 2:47pm. Departure 7:15PM. DD(20)'s BF will be flying in from TN and meet as at the airport as she gets in earlier than us.

Transportation: Lansky's with a grocery stop for water and breakfast foods.

Aug 18th: Non-park day. Hoping we are able to check in by the time we get to the hotel and not store our luggage. We normally hit the parts from the get go so it will be nice to just get settled and explore DTD. In the past we normally only go to World of Disney and Pandora but always feel rushed. We have an ADR at La Brea for 6:45. Wanted earlier but by the time I saw I could make reservations I took what I could get. Might do the pool or walk down to the DL gates and watch the fireworks. I'm sure the girls will want Salt and Straw. Won't be up late as it's a early wake up and the BF will be tired since she will be on East Coast time.

Aug 19th: Starting park-DL. Up and at security by 7am. The plan is to start in FL and want to be in front of the pack for PP. My kids think I'm crazy but I always like to start off with that ride. We will do all the FL rides and see what the wait times look like. We will get a early lunch Rancho del Zocalo and hopefully get in a few more rides before heading back to the hotel for a break. The plan is to go back to the parks but not sure which one yet. Planning on doing in park fireworks. May want to go to DCA for sunset in CL so that I can finally see the lights and "Shaboom" song.

Aug 20th: Starting park-DCA. Up and at security by 7am. Plan on going to front gates to enter. Head back to RSR and TSMM. We will probably split up as DD(14) doesn't do the big rides. We will be in the Animation Academy drawing. No plans for lunch but will go back to the hotel for a break. DD(14) has a ADR for 7:30pm at Savi's to build a lightsaber. Last time we were there she built a droid. We also want to see SWGE at night.

Aug 21st: Starting park-DL Up and at security by 7am. Will start off in TL. We have an ADR for for Cafe Orleans at 1:15.

Aug 22nd: Starting park-DL. I think we will hit the parks first thing and then come back to store the luggage. We will need to be back at the hotel by 5pm to head back to the airport.

Must get treats: Dole whip!, Choco-Smash Candy bar, Ice cream from Clarabelle's, Cold Brew Black Caf, Grey Stuff, beignets, and whatever else we find. Calories don't count at Disney. For the most part we only order 1 dessert and we all share.

Must get foods: Not so little chicken sandwich, Monte Crisco, Earl of Sandwich. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
Just decided to squeeze in a long weekend trip 8/12-16 before the kids start back to school. 4 day hoppers and staying at DLH despite the construction, etc. Currently have reserations to start 2 days at each park, but thinking of switching that to start 3 days at DL. General plan is rope drop parks in the morning through early afternoon, then back to DLH in the afternoon for pool/slide time and maybe something from Trader Sams. ;) Then back to the parks in the evenings. Have an ADR for dinner at Storytellers one night, but looks like it has switched to buffet since we were last there so may cancel that. Don't have a ton of specific must have food items, but I am looking forward to a Matterhorn Macaroon! Saw that Haunted Mansion is closed on the last day were are there so will have to get that in early in the trip. Kids are excited to build droids so I am fairly sure we will end up doing that. Anyone know if reservations are still required for Droid Depot? I'd like to time doing that for right before we head back to the hotel so we don't have to lug the things around all day.

Just decided to squeeze in a long weekend trip 8/12-16 before the kids start back to school. 4 day hoppers and staying at DLH despite the construction, etc. Currently have reserations to start 2 days at each park, but thinking of switching that to start 3 days at DL. General plan is rope drop parks in the morning through early afternoon, then back to DLH in the afternoon for pool/slide time and maybe something from Trader Sams. ;) Then back to the parks in the evenings. Have an ADR for dinner at Storytellers one night, but looks like it has switched to buffet since we were last there so may cancel that. Don't have a ton of specific must have food items, but I am looking forward to a Matterhorn Macaroon! Saw that Haunted Mansion is closed on the last day were are there so will have to get that in early in the trip. Kids are excited to build droids so I am fairly sure we will end up doing that. Anyone know if reservations are still required for Droid Depot? I'd like to time doing that for right before we head back to the hotel so we don't have to lug the things around all day.
I don’t think it’s busy like it was when we visited when it first opened. Looks like there is still a ton of openings. It was the same when I made the reservation for Savie

First time checking in on the Disboards in awhile - so excited to be staying at the Grand Californian on 8/2 & 8/3. Last family trip before the kids go off to college!

Park hours have been released for second half of August.

Starting August 13, an extra hour has been added to each park:
Disneyland 8am - 11pm
California adventure 8am - 10pm
I'm happy for those who can take advantage of this!
My and DD's last day is the 14th, which of course means we have to be packed and ready to check out in the morning. Lousy timing for an extra hour for us lol.
We might do it anyhow. Who needs sleep?

I'm happy for those who can take advantage of this!
My and DD's last day is the 14th, which of course means we have to be packed and ready to check out in the morning. Lousy timing for an extra hour for us lol.
We might do it anyhow. Who needs sleep?
Agreed! Lol. As a first of the month guest, we didn't get the extension either. 😭

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter