Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

1) Will we miss anything significant by skipping the lines? Are they themed? Do you get information that will make your experience in the house better? I saw that the line for one of the houses is basically a dance party. Will there be anything else that we will miss doing the tour and skipping the lines?
Think of the most boring event you've experienced in your lifetime. The HHN queues rank slightly below that. They are made up of sagging rope and metal barricades. There's absolutely nothing immersive about them.

The weekend house at least provided music and flashing lights while you waited, but certainly nothing worth waiting in line for.

This is a question you need to contact UO and get their answer

With the present weather situation, I am sure UO staff will work with each situation individually

They will work with you and can make a bad situation a golden one

The company wins and you win.
Thanks. After speaking to them, they opted for the refund and are going to look at available dates and repurchase if they can find a weekend that fits their schedule. I imagine that if they purchase later down the road, they will have to pay the current price.

I'm not sure what next year will be but for this year ...

After the tour is over you can't repeat a house with RIP credentials but can get in regular line. With RIP credentials you have express access for rides before and after the tour.

Definitely check out the details of RIP tour on the Universal/Halloween Horror Night website as well.
Thanks for the info. The express access to the rides was what we were hoping for. Is there a list of the rides that are typically open during HHN?

A Message from Universal Orlando Resort​

Universal Orlando Resort has made the following operational decisions due to Hurricane Ian:

Our theme parks, CityWalk and Halloween Horror Nights will be closed Wednesday, September 28 and Thursday, September 29. We anticipate normal operating hours on Friday, September 30, conditions permitting. We look forward to welcoming our Passholders again as soon as it is safe to do so.

If you were planning to experience Halloween Horror Nights or our theme parks Wednesday, Sept. 28 or Thursday, Sept. 29 and have purchased dated tickets, an Express pass or other premium products, we are happy to assist you in updating your plans. Please contact a member of our Guest Contact Center team by calling 800-711-0080 or emailing reservations@universalorlando.com. Our hours of operation are daily from 7:30 am – 10 pm EDT. We appreciate your patience as call volume may be higher than normal.

For our Premier Passholders, if you haven’t already used your one (1) free night benefit to experience HHN, we will be adding additional nights for you to choose from due to the impact of Hurricane Ian. We will keep you posted as those dates become available.

A Message from Universal Orlando Resort​

Universal Orlando Resort has made the following operational decisions due to Hurricane Ian:

Our theme parks, CityWalk and Halloween Horror Nights will be closed Wednesday, September 28 and Thursday, September 29. We anticipate normal operating hours on Friday, September 30, conditions permitting. We look forward to welcoming our Passholders again as soon as it is safe to do so.

If you were planning to experience Halloween Horror Nights or our theme parks Wednesday, Sept. 28 or Thursday, Sept. 29 and have purchased dated tickets, an Express pass or other premium products, we are happy to assist you in updating your plans. Please contact a member of our Guest Contact Center team by calling 800-711-0080 or emailing reservations@universalorlando.com. Our hours of operation are daily from 7:30 am – 10 pm EDT. We appreciate your patience as call volume may be higher than normal.

For our Premier Passholders, if you haven’t already used your one (1) free night benefit to experience HHN, we will be adding additional nights for you to choose from due to the impact of Hurricane Ian. We will keep you posted as those dates become available.

What about if you have the all September Rush of Fear or whatever it is called pass?
Do we get those two dates in october?

What about if you have the all September Rush of Fear or whatever it is called pass?
IDK if “whatever it is called pass” wound fall into other premium products (as stated above), you should be able to contact them for resolution

Never hurts to ask, good luck

Thank you for the reply. I think my kids do ok with scary when they know it is an act. Now if we were camping and they hear something in the woods, it might be a different story. ;) When I watched the HHN youtube videos it doesn't look scary to me. I suppose I'd jump if someone came up behind me and yelled "boo", but I wouldn't call that scary to the point my kids shouldn't visit. I didn't know if I was missing something though, so I thought I'd ask for 2nd opinion.
A youtube video simply doesn’t come close to capturing the feel of going through the houses.

that’s not to say your kids won’t be scared in them if they aren’t scared by other scary things like movies. Just don’t look to videos to capture their essence

We’ll be at universal Wednesday night
we’ve been at Disney for Matthew in the past
things were handled well
I have no worries going this week
no plans to change plans
Sometimes mutha nature (RIP Disaster!) changes our plans for us, no matter our best intentions.

Appears all three major Orlando parks are putting forth efforts to try to accommodate those who have been impacted today to Friday.

Main thing is for all in the area to stay safe.

A big :thanks:to the various staff members who are staying at the hotels, away from their own homes, to make sure their guests’ needs are covered. Unsung heros IMO

Good luck to us all :wizard:

Sometimes mutha nature (RIP Disaster!) changes our plans for us, no matter our best intentions.

Appears all three major Orlando parks are putting forth efforts to try to accommodate those who have been impacted today to Friday.

Main thing is for all in the area to stay safe.

A big :thanks:to the various staff members who are staying at the hotels, away from their own homes, to make sure their guests’ needs are covered. Unsung heros IMO

Good luck to us all :wizard:
Eh. Trip is all worth it for me. got to see Postmodern Jukebox shows on Monday night. Two of them

as for hhn, we’ll see how that turns out. We’ll get the free ticket in on Friday or Saturday, or else not be able to use it. But express passes are sold out so can’t move that. Can only get refund

going to be interesting to see if it even ends up with much here. Keeps pushing south so no telling

was wondering that as well - in theory I could say the same about any of the frequent fear tickets as well - if you have FF or FF+ will they add another Friday or Saturday - I doubt it
Universal is really good - but not sure what they can do - maybe the follow on Wednesday and Thursday

Last edited:
was wondering that as well - in theory I could say the same about any of the frequent fear tickets as well - if you have FF or FF+ will they add another Friday or Saturday - I doubt it
Universal is really good - but not sure what they can do - maybe the follow on Wednesday and Thursday
Didn't the sept rush of fear end sept 25th?

Didn't the sept rush of fear end sept 25th?
You are correct - I was thinking (and obviously others) that it was all September dates - was watching PCDEV's stream and he asked the same question about ROF

I'm sure the answer to my question is somewhere in these 62 pages. What time do they let you in the front gates? I know HHN starts at 6:30. Trying to gauge what time to get there. Thanks!

Is there a link somewhere with more detailed info on RIP? Where and when to check in in relation to your tour time, other info from those who have done one this year? I tried searching and read through a few posts on the tours but couldn’t tell a lot. Maybe there’s another site? I realized I got no info with our order confirmation. I’ve done other VIP tours, one checked in at La Bamba and the other at the GS office in the park. Where is check in for this tour?

We attended HHN last night. I was going to take notes to share my experience in case it helps anyone to plan, but I quickly knew it was going to be an unusual night.

We didn't have power for a lot of the day and felt like getting out of the house, so we arrived at HHN around 11:30. We got some food, then started hitting houses. Judging by the walkways, it looked like decent crowds, but we did not wait for one house. The only wait was the time it took us to walk the empty queue and enter the house.

We started with Chupacabra, then Hellblock. Met up with some friends, did Bug House, Destruction, Legends, Weeknd, Dead Man's Pier, Blumhouse, Halloween, Coven and then a repeat of Dead Man's as the clock struck 2.

I know for sure the lagoon show was not running, not sure about the dance show. The scare zones were pretty empty, heard that scare actors from there got pulled to go into houses, but all the scare zones still had a few scare actors. A couple food stands were closed, but honestly, I didn't notice that much not open.

I do think last night might have ruined me for the rest of the event. It was so great just walking up to houses, and going through some of them just with your group and not a conga line.

As last night was the first time we did Blumhouse and Bug, I can finally do a ranking.

Overall, I am somewhat disappointed with this year. I always love the event and have been going since 2015, but this is the first year I found myself missing houses from past years. Keep in mind with my rankings, I don't really get scared at HHN, so these are based more on story, set design and things like that.

Obviously there will be spoilers in my descriptions below so stop reading if you don't want to know.

RANKING HOUSES

1. Monsters

I've always enjoyed the Universal Monsters houses and this one does not disappoint. Wolfman is my fav monster, so points for him showing up. I am also fairly obsessed with ancient Egypt so being inside a pyramid is so much fun for me. I just smile during the entire house. I love the jackal guards as well. I definitely need to do this house many more times.

and very narrowly missing out on the number one spot:
2. Dead Man's Pier
Once again, Universal hits it out of the park with original houses. From the moment you enter into the chilly town center with the statue you're just fully immersed. I love the ship captain behind the bar who sets the scene at the start. This house even smells amazing! The banshee playing the violin on the giant ship set is just so amazing.

3. Bugs
This ranking might change because I've only done this house once, but I very much enjoyed the whole 50s housewife aesthetic. I actually expected it to be a lot worse with bugs, but beyond the puffs of air and hanging wire, seemed like most of the bugs were gross makeup or B movie type large bugs.

Next 3 are somewhat interchangeable and will most likely change order dependent on the most current run.
4. The Weeknd
My favorite is the corridor with all the lights like from the Super Bowl show. I like the room with the stage. Some of the only moments of the event so far when I even get startled have come twice now from the wallpaper guy. Which is even worse since I knew he was there the second time. It just gets me, so points for that.

5. Chupacabra
I enjoy this house, but also feel like it could have been so much better. I like the design of the sets, but am a bit confused by the actual Chupacabra. Isn't it usually depicted as a gross, hairless kind of thing? These look more like werewolves, I wouldn't mind one as a pet. I wonder if it was cheaper just to throw a fur rug over the creatures than to try to make them gross and hairless. For some reason I also wish there was music in the house? It would kind of make sense, seems like they were having a party when the chupacabras attacked.

6. Halloween
This is a very solid house. I think I would have ranked it higher if I hadn't already seen so many Halloween houses. At some point, you just kind of feel like you've seen it before, even if it was based on a different Halloween movie. Still very solid, and I can see that it might be a favorite of people who love the movies or never saw the other Halloween houses.

7. Descendants of Destruction
Just very meh with this house. I like the day glow people at the end. The subway portion wasn't bad, but Dead Exposure did a subway so much better I can't help but compare it to that. I also feel like HHN over uses the slaughter house scene at this point.

8. Hellblock Horror
I know this was the house that was put together at the last minute, and I think they did an ok job. I think there is a deeper storyline to this that I need to read, but I'm just not that impressed. Seems like they just tossed in random costumes of creatures they had from years past and the sets are pretty uninspired.

9. Spirits of the Coven
I feel like this house is just missing a piece and it could have been great. I like the NY prohibition start we get, though once again that just makes me think of Case Files from last year. Just seems like a weird storyline, we start out in alleys and nightclubs then go underground (yet another slaughter house scene) and then end up in some weird tunnels. I dunno, just doesn't do it for me.

10. Blumhouse
Admittedly, I have not seen either movie. But this house came across as very uninspired. Maybe my interpretation of what the movies are about might amuse some of you who have seen them, so Freaky seems to be your standard high school freaky masks/kill the boys at the dance type movie. Black Phone seems to be about a black phone that keeps showing up nailed to the walls. I think the phone strangles Ethan Hawke at the end?

RANKINGS SCARE ZONES

1. Graveyard

Love this scare zone so much. Has some very freaky and cool creatures. I also like the occasional flashing light.

2. Scarecrow
Reminds me of growing up back home in southwestern PA near WV. This seems to always be a good scare zone in this area and I actually really like the corn monsters, they are pretty cool looking.

3. Sweet Revenge
This scare zone would be ranked higher if it weren't always so crowded. I love David Tennant pumpkin guy, and the floats and the little Halloween festival set up are very photogenic. I know we've seen them before in other scare zones, but I like the kids in old fashioned costumes. The robot is a particular favorite.

4. Horrors of Halloween
Lil Boo is my fav, and the pumpkin archway is really pretty. The Pumpkin Lord is also very entertaining. This would probably be ranked higher but there isn't much to it besides the Pumpkin Lord (and of course my Lil Boo).

5. Conjure the Dark
Meh. I hate that they always put a scare zone in this area, it's always terrible to walk through. It immediately (and unfairly) is usually at the bottom of my list just because it's always so congested it's hard to enjoy.

Last edited:
Hello! Where is the entrance for those staying onsite? And if you don’t have stay and scream, do they start letting resorts guests in at 6pm?

I’m trying to have a solid linner before we go, and need to figure out the timing. Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter