Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Thanks. Sounds exactly like the kind of thing we were wanting to experience.
We'll have already done 3, 4 other nights so it will be a bonus night for sure.
I think I'll make that final, no backing out commitment and buy the tickets today.
Right now the flights can be canceled for a credit and hotel refunded.
Event tickets will make it a done deal

I did forget to mention that at that point all the merchandise will be heavily discounted.

Which can be good and bad, might be able to grab some good stuff for cheap, but also sizes and certain items will be running out at that point.

That kind of atmosphere only came from the final couple hours of the event, though.
Based on what I've learned over the years, the House of the Year is named prior to the start of the last night and receives the honor of being able to run both casts at the same time in the house. Double the actors, plenty of scares. Again, something you can only experience on the last night of HHN.

I recall this coming up in 2019 with Nightingales: Blood Pit, when our Unmasking guide was talking about the possibility having 8 Nightingales descend on guests (instead of 4) as part of the convergence scare in the final room of that house.

Based on what I've learned over the years, the House of the Year is named prior to the start of the last night and receives the honor of being able to run both casts at the same time in the house. Double the actors, plenty of scares. Again, something you can only experience on the last night of HHN.

I recall this coming up in 2019 with Nightingales: Blood Pit, when our Unmasking guide was talking about the possibility having 8 Nightingales descend on guests (instead of 4) as part of the convergence scare in the final room of that house.

I actually hadn't heard that but that sounds very cool. Will have to be on the lookout this year.

Me,

0E46CB53-B4BD-43C6-A6DF-ABD588F725C5.jpeg
(Pic from 6 house tour lol)

waiting for Halloween on weds night using stay & scream. Let’s just say, it didn’t go by the book

If you think u have a sure fire strategy for HHN this year, you don’t. Be proactive and choose wisely

Weds:

Finnegans had confirmed our res made 4 months ago via email reminder both tues @ that weds am.

Got this text a couple of hours later:

A8DD0D8B-2675-4E85-9638-E4C4C414596E.jpeg
I voiced my displeasure as to the very late cancellation to GS. So sad too bad to me

Referred to hotel concierge who squeezed us in elsewhere Thank you to them.

received this text while dining from finnegans

0AE5DF7D-CCE8-4A65-BA02-98CFA6C64934.jpeg

Get it together finnegans Of course they were open for walk ups lol

Was in my scare zone around 4:45 pm. The line for Halloween was looped around the alley by Louie’s to the far reaches

No ropes, maybe 3 Tms for crowd control.

When the “unofficial” line started to move at 5:20 pm, so did the rest of the crowd off the street. Forget about the queue. Sigh. Our wait was posted 70 min. It took over 100.

We did have EP. Only got 10 houses done and we scrambled & used app. Wait times vastly understated

Last night wait times other than Halloween were 15 min avg until close to 8 pm

Will be interesting to see which HHN we get tonight
Best strategy likely is to start in the NY S&S and line up for Halloween early. That house releases at 5:15 and gives the earliest start. It also gets a house with a consistently high wait out of the way.
See above this year a different animal
I've noticed that Bugs, etc in the back initially have little wait time (10 min) but by around 8:30/9 pm they go up to 1 hour plus. Most of the crowd moves from New York then later on towards the back.
I’m thinking most doing Halloween, then onto
The weekend
Bonus pic of my spooky outfit & pumpkin purse 5 minutes before the monsoon started and everything got soaked!
Lovely! Appreciate the effort, adds to the event’s ambiance
For all IMO For mnsshp I made a HM skirt and bookbag
The good thing when the weather is bad is that there are less people at the park and the lines are short unlike Sunday.
Tourists there for a few days are still going to show up, rain or not
Love your outfit and purse! I'll be wearing Vixen too when I go to HHN in a few weeks :) I got the new Trick R' Treat harlequin skirt. Wish I would have sprung for one of the purses like your Sleepy Hollow pure or the Trick R' Treat purse--oh well! I'm sort of holding out hope that I'll find a Lil Boo purse in Universal, I'm not sure if those or sold out in the parks or not.
Still in park as of yesterday. Surprised to see the sippers
I'm really hoping to get through most of the houses with an express pass and still have time to try multiple of the food offerings but we will see. I'm going early October so I'll post back here with how it went in terms of crowds and getting things done
See above
There are folks that stream almost every night of HHN in the past and I am not seeing that this year - again might just be all the rai
Weds u couldn’t see the pavement lol
it was crazy busy for stay and scream - especially for a Wednesday.
110% and not the normal jovial crowd
think what you are seeing is 2 years of extremely pent up demand for activities combined with international travel returning.
That is general assumption but, not so sure

Do think the sept passes coming to an end & fact there were near washouts responsible for the bump in crowds

Last edited:

Me,

View attachment 704495
(Pic from 6 house tour lol)

waiting for Halloween on weds night using stay & scream. Let’s just say, it didn’t go by the book

If you think u have a sure fire strategy for HHN this year, you don’t. Be proactive and choose wisely

Weds:

Finnegans had confirmed our res made 4 months ago via email reminder both tues @ that weds am.

Got this text a couple of hours later:

View attachment 704501
I voiced my displeasure as to the very late cancellation to GS. So sad too bad to me

Referred to hotel concierge who squeezed us in elsewhere Thank you to them.

received this text while dining from finnegans

View attachment 704502

Get it together finnegans Of course they were open for walk ups lol

Was in my scare zone around 4:45 pm. The line for Halloween was looped around the alley by Louie’s to the far reaches

When the “unofficial” line started to move at 5:20 pm, so did the rest of the crowd off the street. Forget about the queue. Sigh. Our wait was posted. It took over 100.

Geez. It sounds like there might be no great strategy at all for stay and scream. Might be rethinking tonight. Maybe we won't line up for Halloween.

Thank you for posting this strategy! If I don't have Stay & Scream but do have an Express Pass, would you still recommend starting in the NY area to line up early? Or does S&S stand for something different? Sorry I am new to HHN this year will be my first time, and I'm pretty unfamiliar with the Universal park layout too but plan on studying a map prior.
S&S does mean Stay & Scream. When the park closes at 5pm, all day guests either must exit the park or enter one of the designated S&S areas within the park to wait for the start of HHN. You can't enter a S&S area unless you're already in the park before 5pm (which requires regular park tickets for that day, an annual pass or a Scream Early ticket). Additionally, you have to scan your HHN ticket to enter a S&S area (which will have scanners at the controlled access points). As Team Members and security sweep the park of remaining guests after 5pm, those in S&S areas will be released at designated times to specific houses assigned to those S&S areas (although guests in S&S areas may remain in S&S areas until HHN opens for the night without getting in line or going into a house). The S&S areas are "holding pens" that are blocked off in certain sections - guests can roam around in the S&S areas, but can't leave, exit or wander elsewhere in the park until released to a house or the S&S area is broken down at the start of HHN.

There are three S&S areas this year (although arguably five the way it's configured):
(1) New York (Halloween & Spirits of the Coven) - which extends from Louie's to Gramercy Park as well as back to the Transformers show building. Access point is between Louie's and Starbucks.
(2) San Francisco (Horrors of Blumhouse) - covers the area around and behind Richters and across the street from the exit for Fast & Furious. Access point is streetside on the Chez Alcatraz side.
(3) & (4) Central Park & Simpsons Area (The Weeknd / Descendants of Destruction) - covers the walkway area beside the lagoon (which then crosses the street to line up in front of Animal Actors and around the KidsZone areas), but guests also can go past this to access the Simpsons Area, including Duff Gardens as well Krusty Burger (the street is usually kept open for exiting guests, so going between these can be a pain). Guests wanting to queue for The Weeknd (or Universal Monsters) will want to stay on the Central Park side, while those in Simpsons can queue up for Descendants (usually around the Kwik E Mart where the S&S area ends). Access point is at the lagoon next to the crepe stand.
(5) Blue Man Group Theater (Hellblock Horror): Although it's not actually a S&S area (since it's accessible from Citywalk and not in the park itself), this is a holding area for Universal hotel guests attending HHN. Access is by the walkway in front of BMG theater (between Hard Rock Cafe and Universal Studio's main entrance, running parallel to the end of Rip Ride Rocket). Access requires both an HHN ticket as well as proof of a hotel stay.

If you have Express and can access S&S areas before park close, I still would recommend doing the NY area and following a similar strategy. Many of those with Express still will try to go through a few houses at the start of HHN without using Express - which allows for second walkthroughs later in the evening using Express when lines are longer. Additionally, if you do use Express, it'll allow you to get through houses faster (including several that have longer Express lines later in the evening) to free up time later for the Scarezones or shows. Additionally, the New York S&S area is one of the larger ones, easiest to navigate and has better amenities than the others if you're just looking for a place to relax until HHN opens.

If you can't access a S&S area inside the park, the next best option is the BMG area for hotel guests. I've seen numerous reports that this entrance is very underrated (and underutilized) with its introduction this year. It essentially functions as a S&S area - but outside the park, so it's ideal if you miss the 5pm entry to get inside the park or don't want to have to pay for a Scream Early ticket. The area releases around 5:15, usually with minimal wait to get inside the house, and sends you into the park immediately to then get in line for Halloween, Spirits of the Coven or pre-queue for Dead Man's Pier or Chupacabra. Although I didn't try this strategy, it appears to be a very good one.

Finally, if you don't have any of those options and begin HHN with the general public when gates open, my recommendation would be to head towards the back of park houses first (Descendants of Destruction, Bugs, and Blumhouse), then hitting The Weeknd/Universal Monsters, and finally work your way towards the front of the park and the 5 houses all on the straight line between the park entrance and the New York Library. Like any theme park, the attractions at the front of the park get swamped first and crowds gradually spill out into the rest of the park. Going against the crowds instead of with them may save some time as the night goes.

:wave2: Hello fellow Vixen!!!! Your Trick r' Treat skirt will look fabulous for HHN! If you'll be in Islands of Adventure at all, there's a store over there that would make for a perfect photo spot with your skirt - check out the doors! I didn't see any of the Lil Boo purses when I was in the parks but I also wasn't specifically looking - hope you're able to snag one while you're there!

View attachment 704447
Hello! :wave:
Oh that's so cool about the door, thanks for the tip! I'm actually bringing my now too tight on me Ben Cooper version of the harlequin skirt too for one of the friends I'm going with if she wants to wear it. That would be fun for us to get a pic in front of the door.

When the “unofficial” line started to move at 5:20 pm, so did the rest of the crowd off the street. Forget about the queue. Sigh. Our wait was posted. It took over 100.

See above this year a different animal
Operations and wait times have seemed all over the place this past week from the look of things - even the best strategy can fall apart when something unexpected happens (weather, delays, poor ops). I had seen something on another board where there was a lot of confusion at Dead Man's Pier one night this week as they started running two different Express lines. Also witnessed myself the line jumping during the S&S release for Halloween - not the best crowd control and no TMs to be seen trying to keep things orderly and making sure people weren't just merging in without having waited. Hope things improve and its the "better" HHN experience.

S&S does mean Stay & Scream. When the park closes at 5pm, all day guests either must exit the park or enter one of the designated S&S areas within the park to wait for the start of HHN. You can't enter a S&S area unless you're already in the park before 5pm (which requires regular park tickets for that day, an annual pass or a Scream Early ticket). Additionally, you have to scan your HHN ticket to enter a S&S area (which will have scanners at the controlled access points). As Team Members and security sweep the park of remaining guests after 5pm, those in S&S areas will be released at designated times to specific houses assigned to those S&S areas (although guests in S&S areas may remain in S&S areas until HHN opens for the night without getting in line or going into a house). The S&S areas are "holding pens" that are blocked off in certain sections - guests can roam around in the S&S areas, but can't leave, exit or wander elsewhere in the park until released to a house or the S&S area is broken down at the start of HHN.

There are three S&S areas this year (although arguably five the way it's configured):
(1) New York (Halloween & Spirits of the Coven) - which extends from Louie's to Gramercy Park as well as back to the Transformers show building. Access point is between Louie's and Starbucks.
(2) San Francisco (Horrors of Blumhouse) - covers the area around and behind Richters and across the street from the exit for Fast & Furious. Access point is streetside on the Chez Alcatraz side.
(3) & (4) Central Park & Simpsons Area (The Weeknd / Descendants of Destruction) - covers the walkway area beside the lagoon (which then crosses the street to line up in front of Animal Actors and around the KidsZone areas), but guests also can go past this to access the Simpsons Area, including Duff Gardens as well Krusty Burger (the street is usually kept open for exiting guests, so going between these can be a pain). Guests wanting to queue for The Weeknd (or Universal Monsters) will want to stay on the Central Park side, while those in Simpsons can queue up for Descendants (usually around the Kwik E Mart where the S&S area ends). Access point is at the lagoon next to the crepe stand.
(5) Blue Man Group Theater (Hellblock Horror): Although it's not actually a S&S area (since it's accessible from Citywalk and not in the park itself), this is a holding area for Universal hotel guests attending HHN. Access is by the walkway in front of BMG theater (between Hard Rock Cafe and Universal Studio's main entrance, running parallel to the end of Rip Ride Rocket). Access requires both an HHN ticket as well as proof of a hotel stay.

If you have Express and can access S&S areas before park close, I still would recommend doing the NY area and following a similar strategy. Many of those with Express still will try to go through a few houses at the start of HHN without using Express - which allows for second walkthroughs later in the evening using Express when lines are longer. Additionally, if you do use Express, it'll allow you to get through houses faster (including several that have longer Express lines later in the evening) to free up time later for the Scarezones or shows. Additionally, the New York S&S area is one of the larger ones, easiest to navigate and has better amenities than the others if you're just looking for a place to relax until HHN opens.

If you can't access a S&S area inside the park, the next best option is the BMG area for hotel guests. I've seen numerous reports that this entrance is very underrated (and underutilized) with its introduction this year. It essentially functions as a S&S area - but outside the park, so it's ideal if you miss the 5pm entry to get inside the park or don't want to have to pay for a Scream Early ticket. The area releases around 5:15, usually with minimal wait to get inside the house, and sends you into the park immediately to then get in line for Halloween, Spirits of the Coven or pre-queue for Dead Man's Pier or Chupacabra. Although I didn't try this strategy, it appears to be a very good one.

Finally, if you don't have any of those options and begin HHN with the general public when gates open, my recommendation would be to head towards the back of park houses first (Descendants of Destruction, Bugs, and Blumhouse), then hitting The Weeknd/Universal Monsters, and finally work your way towards the front of the park and the 5 houses all on the straight line between the park entrance and the New York Library. Like any theme park, the attractions at the front of the park get swamped first and crowds gradually spill out into the rest of the park. Going against the crowds instead of with them may save some time as the night goes.
Thank you so much for this detailed answer! Super helpful. We don't have regular park tickets for that day or Scream Early passes but we are hotel guests, so I'm thinking we'll do that BMG area for hotel guests entry.

Geez. It sounds like there might be no great strategy at all for stay and scream. Might be rethinking tonight. Maybe we won't line up for Halloween.
They generally listen to guest feedback. Have seen things/policies change within a few days

If they get enough constructive criticism, hope they may either put up temporary ropes or station more Tms there.

TBH U has, multiple times over the years, struck me rather poorly as to crowd control for special events. Guessing may be due to unseasoned and poorly trained TMs. Always the hope they will do better!

What are the odds as to the name. Batten down the hatches.

Spaghetti models can change. Our last go-round RP did a great job keeping us fed & entertained.

They also honored park tix on alternate evenings.

We will be at WDW by then, they also
Are known for taking very good care of their guests in that sort of event.

Stay safe & listen to any safety instructions

Most of all put on those positivity ponchos and enjoy the adventure!
05C009D1-9469-4EA9-9222-5936061E1379.jpeg2C9B7754-B53A-4794-B11E-83F956FF91C7.png

THanks for the updates. Now I have NO idea what we're going to do. I had initially planned Halloween , then recently thought we'd change to Weekend, but this week, was back to original plan of Halloween. I cannot abide line chaos, cutting, people entering who haven't been waiting, being told to go to the wrong queue, so if that's happening there, I may take your advice and switch the plan> Do any S/S areas line up for Dead Man's Pier?
or might head to Weekend, or Blumhouse, I have no idea now....ugh. It's gonna be fun no matter what, and I know from years of ropedropping, that eventually all lines will be long, so I know I'll have waits at some of them> We just want to get a nice chunk done before that happens. Thanks again for the updates

They generally listen to guest feedback. Have seen things/policies change within a few days

If they get enough constructive criticism, hope they may either put up temporary ropes or station more Tms there.

TBH U has, multiple times over the years, struck me rather poorly as to crowd control for special events. Guessing may be due to unseasoned and poorly trained TMs. Always the hope they will do better!
Thanks for all the updates/advice. Totally rethinking if we want to start w Halloween now....I can't stand when line rules aren't followed, and people just swarm in, or one is told by a CM/TM the wrong place to go, etc.....Halloween is the top house I want to do, but don't want to waste precious S/S time if the whole early access spend on one house. Would rather get several others done, then commit to a long Halloween line later I think....
Thanks again for all the info. Love the skeleton pic

Do any S/S areas line up for Dead Man's Pier?
or might head to Weekend, or Blumhouse, I have no idea now
There's no official S&S for Dead Man's Pier (or Chupacabra) since those houses open with the gates at 6pm. The reality, however, is that an unofficial line opens in front of the entrance to those queues when the New York S&S releases around 5:45 or so. You still can get an early start at DMP that way (assuming the house doesn't have a delayed opening - which happens)

I've heard that the San Francisco S&S for Blumhouse is laid back and doesn't seem to have the same issues as New York or Central Park - not as big a draw as Halloween/Weeknd, so a better crowd experience. Rumor only though and no personal experience.

What are the odds as to the name. Batten down the hatches.

Spaghetti models can change. Our last go-round RP did a great job keeping us fed & entertained.

They also honored park tix on alternate evenings.

We will be at WDW by then, they also
Are known for taking very good care of their guests in that sort of event.

Stay safe & listen to any safety instructions

Most of all put on those positivity ponchos and enjoy the adventure!
View attachment 704547View attachment 704548
We’ll be at universal Wednesday night
we’ve been at Disney for Matthew in the past
things were handled well
I have no worries going this week
no plans to change plans

Just got back, we did stay and scream tonight, Friday Sept 23.

Traffic was bad so we got to the parks a bit later than we wanted. We were debating whether we should stay and scream Coven or Halloween. I didn't want to get into a giant mess with Halloween.

The crowds were actually looking somewhat low so we decided to roll the dice with Halloween. We were in the stay and scream line at 4:52. A few of us grabbed food from the booths and the line started moving within a few minutes. The line was very orderly and the team members did a good job of making sure we stayed in a line and that no one jumped in. We were loaded into the actual queue area and the house seemed to open a few minutes after 5:15.

We ended up walking into the house at 5:49, which I didn't really think was bad at all. Just short of an hour wait, but most of that wait came before most houses had even opened. I liked this house, I thought the music kind of layered up to the Halloween theme which I liked. Started out simple then built up into the theme. I did like the house and want to do it again.

After that we went immediately into line for Spirits of the Coven at 5:54. We could see the opening show going on at the main gates. It was a very short wait and we were walking into the house at 6:05. This was our second time for the house and I still don't really get it. The starting scenes are interesting but I either am missing the story or don't really like it.

We knew we were likely in for a bit of a wait but we really wanted to see Dead Man's Pier again and our friend hadn't been in there yet so we got in line at 6:15, ended up an almost exact half hour wait because we got in at 6:44. I still think this house is beautiful, it even smells nice.

So I do think the Halloween stay and scream first strategy worked on this day. It might not work on other days depending on any snags hit. But it worked today.

I think we were about 10-15 minutes later for Dead Man's Pier than was ideal. If we hadn't had our hearts set on it for that night we should have took off for the back of the park after Coven.

It might be best to move away from the front houses at around 6:05 or 6:10, anything after that and you might be setting yourself up for a longer wait at Chupacabra or Dead Man's.

We walked through some scare zones and got drinks, then decided to do Destruction. We were in line at 7:13 and in the house at 7:44. So another half hour wait. I think the house is ok, I do like the day glo type people at the end.

We were hungry and decided to take a break and do a sit down and were able to walk up to Finnegan's and get seated right away.

By the time we were done we wanted to try for Monsters but the line said 60 but it looked way longer. After we walked away it did jump up to 90. By this time the park was getting really crowded. We decided to head out. I think we might try to come again next Wednesday or Thursday depending on what the weather is doing.

It was a pretty successful night with the lowest crowds we've seen yet until around 8:30/9 when everyone started coming in.

We still have yet to do Blumhouse or Bug House, so hopefully we'll get those next time.

1663987639164.png

1663987667880.png

1663987692768.png

1663987716706.png

1663987733092.png

1663987759922.png

1663987820527.png

1663987846163.png

Last edited:
It was a pretty successful night with the lowest crowds we've seen yet until around 8:30/9 when everyone started coming in.
You did very well! Excellent pics

That is approximately when I noticed the stated line times jump.

Was surprised to see blumhouse with the longest stated standby of all the houses @ 140 minutes at 10 pm-ish.

Upon entering park around 4 pm had disappointed guest in front of me being told the night was a sellout as of mid day yesterday

Thanks for all the updates/advice. Totally rethinking if we want to start w Halloween now....I can't stand when line rules aren't followed, and people just swarm in, or one is told by a CM/TM the wrong place to go, etc.....Halloween is the top house I want to do, but don't want to waste precious S/S time if the whole early access spend on one house. Would rather get several others done, then commit to a long Halloween line later I think....
Thanks again for all the info. Love the skeleton pic
We were there on Sunday 9/11 and did not see any issues with the lines for Halloween. We were at the beginning of the second line/holding area across from the tribute store-the first holding area is near Jimmy Fallon. Maybe the shenanigans happen later and further back in the line. We got in line just after 4:30 so I recommend if you want to be at the front of the line be there more like 4-4:15. We still had a good jump on the crowds and would have worked out perfectly except Dead Mans and Chupacabra didn't open til like 7:15.

Hi everyone just wanting some words of advice. I’m currently here from the UK with my dad and despite finally making it to florida after the last few years (thanks covid) he has fallen really poorly. We have tickets for HHN this eve along with FP. I don’t see how he’s going to be able to make it, this along with the upcoming hurricane just makes me want to cry 😭 I guess my question is if it’s worth trying to see if universal will allow a change of night to later this week? Or do I suck it up and go alone, has anyone any experience of this event going solo? So gutted 😞

Hi everyone just wanting some words of advice. I’m currently here from the UK with my dad and despite finally making it to florida after the last few years (thanks covid) he has fallen really poorly. We have tickets for HHN this eve along with FP. I don’t see how he’s going to be able to make it, this along with the upcoming hurricane just makes me want to cry 😭 I guess my question is if it’s worth trying to see if universal will allow a change of night to later this week? Or do I suck it up and go alone, has anyone any experience of this event going solo? So gutted 😞
I go solo every year and its NBD

You should reach out to universal they are pretty good about this type of thing - especially when COVID is involved

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter