Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

It seems that some IP houses are not included. Maybe they are ones that the rights holder won't allow on the tour. The Universal Monsters are usually included though, since Universal owns those rights.
Honestly that's the best case scenario for me. I have no interest in the Blumhouse or the Weeknd's house, but really want to see the descendants one, bugs, the 20's speakeasy witch house sounds SO COOL, also excited for chupacabras! Give me all the cryptids.

Me and my husband are thinking about try HHN on 9/25 a Sunday but we have never been to universal. We are simply going to enjoy the halloween festivities. I know lines are usually long but we really don't want to buy Express passes. We want to go but not that bad lol so its just something to do on our getaway weekend. How realistic is it without the EP?
It’s very doable. The question is what do you want to do there? If you must hit all the houses, read a blog or two and formulate a plan. If you just want to experience the parks and some Halloween stuff, you can be looser in your approach. Since you’ve never been to UO before, you might want to try some of the rides, poke around in some of the shops, explore Diagon Alley (the Harry Potter area is not themed for HHN, but is very well executed and usually much less crowded during HHN than during regular park hours). You can also see the shows, walk around, and enjoy the scare zones and food. Some folks like to get a drink or snack and then people-watch as the scare actors do their thing. Basically, you can have a great time without express, whether you are a haunted house commando or a more casual observer.
Hey, reading through thread, looking at our Oct trip, and considering a Frequent Fear pass instead of just getting our 1 night, Oct 9, pass. If we do just get the regular , 1 night pass for Oct 9, can we still upgrade if we've entered HHN for that night? upgrade before we leave the park that same night? or does it have to be upgraded before we use the night/enter the park on Oct 9?
Also, and I reading this right, that if we did a daytime/unmasking tour, we dont' need park admission? Our APs expire Oct 10, and likely not renewing, but considering an unmasking tour later in the week.
Thanks in advance
You do not need separate admission for Unmasking tour. You can upgrade your pass after you’ve been in the park, but before you leave (I.e.pass must be active when you upgrade).

Last edited:
Hey, reading through thread, looking at our Oct trip, and considering a Frequent Fear pass instead of just getting our 1 night, Oct 9, pass. If we do just get the regular , 1 night pass for Oct 9, can we still upgrade if we've entered HHN for that night? upgrade before we leave the park that same night? or does it have to be upgraded before we use the night/enter the park on Oct 9?
Also, and I reading this right, that if we did a daytime/unmasking tour, we dont' need park admission? Our APs expire Oct 10, and likely not renewing, but considering an unmasking tour later in the week.
Thanks in advance

The last time I did the unmasking, they kicked everyone out of the park, who didn't have a day admission after the tour.

This is the house that Universal Creative said they will be watching back door to see people fleeing screaming, that their goal is to see if people can finish the house, that when they were doing some walk throughs they jumped when a live moth got in. THIS is gonna be a house to try to forget or else have nightmares lol.
And that's exactly why I will be skipping this one !!😱

Honestly that's the best case scenario for me. I have no interest in the Blumhouse or the Weeknd's house, but really want to see the descendants one, bugs, the 20's speakeasy witch house sounds SO COOL, also excited for chupacabras! Give me all the cryptids.
The Tooth Fairy one was surprisingly good last year, so i have high hopes for Chupacabra.

The Descendants one less so. Sounds like a house themed around the Subway Tunnels in Fallout 3.

This is the house that Universal Creative said they will be watching back door to see people fleeing screaming, that their goal is to see if people can finish the house, that when they were doing some walk throughs they jumped when a live moth got in. THIS is gonna be a house to try to forget or else have nightmares lol.
😬

When do we think we will see some more of the merchandise? Especially the shirts. Also what about the food? I do appreciate the house and scare zone information.

Can I pay for my daughter’s rush of free passes and not have them link to me? Maybe checkout as a guest?

edited - got it to work and not assign myself as one of the tickets.

Last edited:
but really only Tall Man got me each time.
Rightfully so, was my fav ‘scary’ house in years

Do wonder which will be the glamour/set piece house this year. Thinking bugs just
might be able to check off a few boxes:wizard:

It seems that some IP houses are not included. Maybe they are ones that the rights holder won't allow on the tour. The Universal Monsters are usually included though, since Universal owns those rights.
I’m that’s not always true. Depends on the IP? Ghostbusters was on the day tour that year-we were only allowed pics in select few areas. But that’s when our guide told us you were allowed to hold up your hand for a high five from Venkman in last scene. And what the snot was made of in library

Rightfully so, was my fav ‘scary’ house in years

Do wonder which will be the glamour/set piece house this year. Thinking bugs just
might be able to check off a few boxes:wizard:
You don't think that will the The Weekend? For some reason that's what I'm picturing

Any speculation on which will be the popular houses? Last year, the (non-Universal) IP houses were the ones with consistently long lines and people lining up from Stay and Scream. This year, Halloween seems like the only major IP. Does Blumhouse have a big following? I’d not really heard of it before. And it seems like a stretch to call a song an IP.

We’ll be there the second weekend, and want to formulate our game plan. I feel like that will be too early for an original house to be a breakout hit. What are the chances the houses will be more or less equal in terms of lines/popularity?

When do we think we will see some more of the merchandise? Especially the shirts. Also what about the food? I do appreciate the house and scare zone information.
And if there’s a Freestyle cup for HHN this year. Kicking myself for not buying the Jack cup last year.

Any speculation on which will be the popular houses? Last year, the (non-Universal) IP houses were the ones with consistently long lines and people lining up from Stay and Scream. This year, Halloween seems like the only major IP. Does Blumhouse have a big following? I’d not really heard of it before. And it seems like a stretch to call a song an IP.

We’ll be there the second weekend, and want to formulate our game plan. I feel like that will be too early for an original house to be a breakout hit. What are the chances the houses will be more or less equal in terms of lines/popularity?
I would think the Weekend house with be popular. With stay and scream, you can line up for 2 houses in NY area, the 2 kid zones houses in Central Park and 2 houses in between Springfield and MiB.

I'm not a horror movie fan but I thought Blumhouse was big among them. Black Phone is the latest Blumhouse movie, right? Seems like the Blumhouse houses are usually popular because they are current movies but again, not knowing the horror movie genre I don't really keep up so I could be wrong.

With The Weekend being such a popular artist if the house is good I'm sure it will be a hit. Folks will sure flock to it at first to find out, I'm guessing.

I'm not a horror movie fan but I thought Blumhouse was big among them. Black Phone is the latest Blumhouse movie, right? Seems like the Blumhouse houses are usually popular because they are current movies but again, not knowing the horror movie genre I don't really keep up so I could be wrong.

With The Weekend being such a popular artist if the house is good I'm sure it will be a hit. Folks will sure flock to it at first to find out, I'm guessing.
However, the Blumhouse houses have left a lot to be desired. They are generally not very good, so I don't know if that will be hugely popular. It will probably be Halloween and one of the original IPs.

We'll be there second weekend also and its our first HHN.
Do we have to wait until after opening to get a map and showtimes?
I'm thinking halloween will be one of the most popular and am hoping that most of the others will just be personal preference and so hopefully lines will be more consistent for them all.

However, the Blumhouse houses have left a lot to be desired. They are generally not very good, so I don't know if that will be hugely popular. It will probably be Halloween and one of the original IPs.
I dont know how Blumhouses houses have been prior. But my concern is that Freaky and Black Phone in the same house is weird. The two movies are very different. A comedy with slasher horror elements, and a thriller with horror elements. I enjoyed both, but doing both in the same house doesnt feel me with confidence the house is gonna have a strong tone and consistency.

Freaky in particular doesnt really have much that seems like it would play off well, none of the visual design was super memorable (on purpose, the slasher was supposed to be generic Jason/Myers/slasher stand in) and the slasher scenes were more comedic and played off for laughs. You could make a pretty solid house from Black Phone by itself I think

I dont know how Blumhouses houses have been prior. But my concern is that Freaky and Black Phone in the same house is weird. The two movies are very different. A comedy with slasher horror elements, and a thriller with horror elements. I enjoyed both, but doing both in the same house doesnt feel me with confidence the house is gonna have a strong tone and consistency.

Freaky in particular doesnt really have much that seems like it would play off well, none of the visual design was super memorable (on purpose, the slasher was supposed to be generic Jason/Myers/slasher stand in) and the slasher scenes were more comedic and played off for laughs. You could make a pretty solid house from Black Phone by itself I think
I don't know about every year but they have done 2 Blumhouse movies in one house several times. And unrelated movies at that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter