• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2020 Star Wars Rival Run Weekend - CANCELED

Well, I'm getting really excited to participate in my first RunDisney event. Any general advice, tips or 'dont-dos' for a rookie? I was also curious to know what an ideal time to set my alarm is? Would it be more reliable/efficient to plan on using an Uber than a Disney bus? I'll be running the 10K and am staying at CBR the night before the race. Thanks.

Well, I'm getting really excited to participate in my first RunDisney event. Any general advice, tips or 'dont-dos' for a rookie? I was also curious to know what an ideal time to set my alarm is? Would it be more reliable/efficient to plan on using an Uber than a Disney bus? I'll be running the 10K and am staying at CBR the night before the race. Thanks.

just be on one of the early buses to leave the resort and you’ll be fine. No need to pay extra $$$ when the buses are right there ready to take you, anyway.

Question, there's a group of 5 doing this. 3 of us are doing the 10k, but I'm the only one not doing the 5k (the other 4 are). Am I able to go with them to watch the start? Any suggestions what to do on Fri morning since i'm not running?

Question, there's a group of 5 doing this. 3 of us are doing the 10k, but I'm the only one not doing the 5k (the other 4 are). Am I able to go with them to watch the start? Any suggestions what to do on Fri morning since i'm not running?
You can go with them (on the bus if you are staying onsite) and be with them until they head into the corrals, around 4-4:30, but it’s hard to see them start in the crowd, and if you do, it is for just a second. The excitement, DJ, and fireworks are fun though! You can see them cross the finish line easier because people are a little more spread out. The front runners actually come in before the last groups start, so there is someone to watch most of the time while you wait.
Or, since the 5k is so short, you could just sleep in and let them wake you up when they get back!

When it comes out (and you'll know it has because folks will post links to it in this thread!), READ THE EVENT GUIDE. All of it. And read it again! Save or take screen shots of the pages with info especially important to you. I think the most confusion I see form folks stems from not having read the event guide, which pretty well covers everything you need to know: transportation, timing, locations, etc.

I strongly suggest being on an early bus to minimize any risk of traffic issues. And no need to Lyft or Uber, as every vehicle takes the same route, so may as well use the free transportation provided. By race time, you should have a handle on how much time you need to get up, ready, and out the door, and can set your alarm based on that.

NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY! Test any outfit pieces, fuel, shoes, etc. in training so you'll know what works and what to expect on race day.

You can go to the 5K with them if you want. It'll be over pretty early, so no reason you can't go to a park afterward if you have a ticket.

You can go to the 5K with them if you want. It'll be over pretty early, so no reason you can't go to a park afterward if you have a ticket.

unfortunately not a park day for us that day as we're AP holders and blacked out on Friday

In addition to all the advice everyone's already given, I'd recommend going to the expo later in the day. It reminded me of that first day back to school in college when everyone would register at the gym. Everyone shows up early and you wait forever, but if you showed up in the afternoon, you walk right in. One year, we got to the expo mid-morning and snaked all around the WWOS fields. Last time, we went mid-afternoon and walked right now.

And most importantly: wear your finisher medal around the parks! Not only do you get to show off your accomplishment, but we always gets all sorts of compliments and congratulations from CMs and other guests!

And most importantly: wear your finisher medal around the parks! Not only do you get to show off your accomplishment, but we always gets all sorts of compliments and congratulations from CMs and other guests!

Most important advice right here! Besides everything mentioned, the photo ops with the medals are great as well. I'm extra excited to bring my medals to Galaxy's Edge for some pictures on Sunday/Monday!

Most important advice right here! Besides everything mentioned, the photo ops with the medals are great as well. I'm extra excited to bring my medals to Galaxy's Edge for some pictures on Sunday/Monday!

We intentionally planned our full Batuu experience day for Sunday since I'm doing the 10k on Saturday. Plan to get as many pictures in Galaxy's Edge with my medal as humanly possible!! LOL

This will be my 5 year anniversary for this race and I'm hoping I'll be able to complete the challenge with extremely minimal training. In January, I tore my meniscus which required surgery to remove a portion of it, remove some floating cartilage and scrape some arthritic tissue from under the knee cap (sorry if TMI). Haven't been able to train and am still struggling to walk without a limp. Here's hoping I can walk fast enough to stay ahead of the dreaded balloon ladies and complete my 5th year of this race. Can't wait to show off my medals around Galaxy's Edge!

There's no way i'm gonna be in shape for this 10k. I didn't lose a single lb in Feb, and still haven't been able to really run for more than 5 minutes :(

Guess i'm fast walking this whole thing and hope I don't get swept

Anyone know if you upgrade to the Kessel Run Challenge this late in the game (I’m already signed up for the regular challenge plus 5k) if it messes up your proof of time submission since that deadline has already passed?

Bloody hell I'm worried about having to walk last few kms of training run and having tight legs after and you have had major surgery and still going to do it. Good luck with recovery
Thanks for the kind words!

This will be my 5 year anniversary for this race and I'm hoping I'll be able to complete the challenge with extremely minimal training. In January, I tore my meniscus which required surgery to remove a portion of it, remove some floating cartilage and scrape some arthritic tissue from under the knee cap (sorry if TMI). Haven't been able to train and am still struggling to walk without a limp. Here's hoping I can walk fast enough to stay ahead of the dreaded balloon ladies and complete my 5th year of this race. Can't wait to show off my medals around Galaxy's Edge!
My little sister walked Dopey on no training whatsoever. It is possible. You may not be able to stop for photos during the race, but they offer plenty of photos after the races in the staging areas. Or at least they did in 2017 and 2018 when I ran the Star Wars races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter