"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing this...sometimes Disney planning drives me crazy (it's a love/hate /love relationship lol) At one point for this trip I considered -no discounts- a DAH ticket, HEA desert ticket AND a full one day ticket -all for that same day! That's a lot of money times four! This is our only MK day and when I found out we wouldn't be able to get in at 4:00 I lost my mind!! Luckily, I was able to put things in perspective -my husband looking at me like I'm nuts helped too lol. and I'm now looking forward to getting to whatever I get to and having a grateful heart. Sometimes it's hard to slow down but when you do, I think you appreciate everything so much more. So glad you were able to!!

I totally agree with you about Disney planning being a love/hate relationship. I've always been an uber planner for each of our trips so it was really hard at first to change the mindset that every second needs to be scheduled. This trip we stayed at the Poly for the first, and probably only time, and we wanted to savor the experience. It was one of our most relaxing trips ever. A few hours in a park in the morning doing a few rides, walking around with a Starbucks beverage listening to the background music in each area of the park, taking pictures, enjoying a nice lunch, back to the resort for the afternoon, and sometimes back to a park in the evening. We did the HEA dessert party, Fantasmic dessert, and DAH over the course of the week. It was amazing.

I am curious if anyone tried to get in at 4? I have seen reports of people who got in at 6, etc... when they tried but did anyone try at 4 like last week and get turned away?
We were the first ones in at DAH at around 5:30. My 6 year old hit his head on a pole outside of the touchpoints, since they don’t have a first aid station near the gate the CM was able to get our early entry approved. Yes, they did turn us away at 4, they were just starting to setup with the lanyards about 5:20.

Last edited:

Guys, FYI... I think this may be new info. HEA moving to a 7:55PM start (instead of 8PM) starting tomorrow through 3/10. http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2018/01/happily-ever-after-taking-place-at-755.html

I checked the WDW website and it does in fact show 7:55PM on those dates.

Small impact to those of you with remaining DAH dates, if you're planning on catching the fireworks.

Sounds like a positive change to me. I know it is only 5 minutes, but I feel like it will be a way to clear the park a little sooner for those who are paying for DAH. People who want to see the fireworks from Main Street will clear out of the rides a few minutes sooner to get in place for them.

DW and I were there last night as well. I must say, I am a little sad to find out that people got in at or before 6 with their lanyards, because we arrived at the MK entrance right before 6 and asked a castmember who said we couldn't get them until 7 and that we would have to exit the park to get them. We didn't see anyone with lanyards at that point, so we entered the park because we had a SDMT FP between 6-7. So we went and did that, and then exited the park around 6:50 and then saw the line set up for obtaining the lanyards. By the time we got near Main Street on our way to get our lanyards, we saw plenty of people who already had their lanyards.

We had originally planned on doing the plaza viewing dessert party that night, but ended up changing it to the first night of our trip (1/20). I am glad that we did, because we would have lost a lot of time between watching HEA and then just trying to navigate our way out of the hub, which was a mob scene.

We stopped at Cosmic Ray's for some food and then at about 7:45 we did both lines for photos with Princesses at Fairytale Hall. During DAH we did:
Dumbo - right at 8 as HEA was starting
Tea Cups
Peter Pan
Haunted Mansion
Country Bear Jamboree
Magic Carpets
Tiki Room
Buzz Lightyear
People Mover
Photos with talking Mickey
Photopass photos on Mainstreet.
This was the last night of our seven day trip and our third stop at MK, so we did not have an overly ambitious plan. But we were able to do all of the above, including two breaks for ice cream/popcorn, by 10:10. We then just hung around Main Street enjoying the atmosphere. Everything that we did was a walk on.

The worst part of the evening was the transportation back to the Boardwalk. The Boardwalk shared a bus with Swan and Dolphin and Yacht and Beach Club. That's fine. But we got in line at the bus stop at 10:55, and no bus came until 11:18. By then the line was extremely long and people were impatient. So the bus was packed. Again, not unexpected. But the driver did not announce the stops, so people were unsure of where we were when we stopped. And for those at the Swan and Dolphin and Yacht and Beach Club, it wasn't clear if stops would be made at each side of those resorts. Boardwalk was the last stop, we got dropped off right at midnight.

Overall, I think it was worth the money. I agree with a previous poster who said that the crowd level was what you would expect on a 1/10 day. There were always people around or in sight, but not crowded by any means.

Guys, FYI... I think this may be new info. HEA moving to a 7:55PM start (instead of 8PM) starting tomorrow through 3/10. http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2018/01/happily-ever-after-taking-place-at-755.html

I checked the WDW website and it does in fact show 7:55PM on those dates.

Small impact to those of you with remaining DAH dates, if you're planning on catching the fireworks.
As someone who plans on watching the fireworks before DAH, it might be only 5 minutes earlier but every little bit helps.

I have always thought it is a little unfair for Disney to overlap the fireworks with DAH. We are paying a lot of money for 3 hours, and those who wish to see the fireworks, aren't getting their full three hours. The "After" in After Hours should mean: after all park events have concluded.

DW and I were there last night as well. I must say, I am a little sad to find out that people got in at or before 6 with their lanyards, because we arrived at the MK entrance right before 6 and asked a castmember who said we couldn't get them until 7 and that we would have to exit the park to get them. We didn't see anyone with lanyards at that point, so we entered the park because we had a SDMT FP between 6-7. So we went and did that, and then exited the park around 6:50 and then saw the line set up for obtaining the lanyards. By the time we got near Main Street on our way to get our lanyards, we saw plenty of people who already had their lanyards.
Unfortunately another who was misguided by a misinformed CM. I think the key for in-park people to getting their lanyards early and without having to exit and re-enter is to get them from Guest Services. Asking a random CM seems to be the trouble, as they all haven't been briefed on the actual DAH procedures or maybe haven't gotten the memo to allow a less rigid enforcement of the process.

I am so glad that our DAH starts at 9 instead of 8!! With the HEA fireworks at 7:55p now... that's plenty of time for the Main Street crowds to filter out before our 3 hours begins! I know the park is still open to all guests till 9p, but at least Main Street won't be packed with people trying to leave.

I have more thoughts on things that I'll post when I get home, but here's just what we did on our 1/26 DAH...

• Flying Carpets at 7:45 on the way in
  • BTMR 3X entered right before 8 first time, rode during fireworks - magical! pixiedust:
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Journey of the Little Mermaid 2X
  • 7DMT
  • Ice cream break sitting in Tomorrowland, called home
  • Peoplemover!!!
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Tea Cups
  • 7DMT
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Popcorn stop, picture in the Hub

We had talked a lot about doing Space Mountain, which my daughter loves, then when we got to Tomorowland she told me she didn't want do it, which was strange but totally fine, of course, although if she had told me earlier in the evening I would have invested the time to do Haunted Mansion, which she had wanted to skip!

Overall, my early bird was a trooper and we had a blast! More thoughts later!

Ohana means family.... and family means no one gets left behind.... except for getting to rope drop or DAH on time.... :rotfl:

LOL! That is funny - and true! :rotfl2:

It was more a product of touring with her dance friends in the morning cutting into our mid-day break (Plus, I couldn't sacrifice my birthday tiki glass, of couse)! An issue that I had anticipated but had to just roll with it! Her friend had never really been to MK (went once but was so sick only did one ride and left!), so my DD really wanted her to enjoy it - so we rope dropped like a boss!

FYI, this week’s Times Guide is out: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2018/01/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides_27.html

The MK monorails are scheduled to be running until 12AM this Tuesday (which is the somewhat normal pattern on Epcot PM EMH nights).

Always have alternative transportation options in mind just in case, but it looks like the monorail may be an option for the Tuesday DAH folks if needed.

Note I believe this is the only DAH night that occurs on an Epcot PM EMH night.

I’m blanking on the PP that pointed this out earlier this week, but thank you!

FYI, this week’s Times Guide is out: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2018/01/weekly-walt-disney-world-times-guides_27.html

The MK monorails are scheduled to be running until 12AM this Tuesday (which is the somewhat normal pattern on Epcot PM EMH nights).

Always have alternative transportation options in mind just in case, but it looks like the monorail may be an option for the Tuesday DAH folks if needed.

Note I believe this is the only DAH night that occurs on an Epcot PM EMH night.

I’m blanking on the PP that pointed this out earlier this week, but thank you!

Thank you for posting link to this weeks Times Guide! I see buses are listed to begin morning transportation 45 min prior to park opening do you know if they still run earlier buses for pre-park opening ADRs?

Thank you for posting link to this weeks Times Guide! I see buses are listed to begin morning transportation 45 min prior to park opening do you know if they still run earlier buses for pre-park opening ADRs?

This is incorrect. It is consistently the worst info Disney regularly publishes. Buses start running around 6:30a-7:00a every day, if not earlier.

I have always thought it is a little unfair for Disney to overlap the fireworks with DAH. We are paying a lot of money for 3 hours, and those who wish to see the fireworks, aren't getting their full three hours. The "After" in After Hours should mean: after all park events have concluded.
I agree. And also it’s annoying when they have evening EMH and the fireworks start at the beginning. So you end up loosing 20-30 minutes of EMH!

I actually complained to Guest Services via email about that before our previous trip. It was a long email including cancelling the express transport bus, removing rides, etc, and the CM ended up giving us anytime FPs for 4 of the days we were there (1 set each park)!

So, I’ve been internally debating my strategy. My night is one where HEA is at 8, but park close not til 9.

Originally I planned on doing BTMR first and then work my way into Tomorrowland and then fantasyland.

But, then I was thinking. There will probably be a good amount of people who get in line for 7DMT after fireworks for one last ride. I assume when there are normal park guests, the DAH people use the FP line. Would it make more sense to go to 7DMT and ride it a few times via the FP line until they run out of standby guests? I guess if I see a longer “FP/DAH” line I can change plans. What do people think?

I'd like to meet Rapunzel as I never had, and really wouldn't want to wait for it on a regular day. What's Princess Fairytale Hall like? is there a line for each princess? how long has the line been? I wouldn't want to wait more than a few minutes for a quick hello/picture.

I know I shouldn't be, but i'm kind of stressing about getting in as much as possible in 3 hours. 3 hours must fly by. Not even sure where to begin....maybe just wing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter