Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11776/Changes_Cause_an_Uproar_at_2017_Tinker_Bell_Half_Marathon_Weekend

Lots of issues at Tink, hopefully they don't have the same problems for our race. The lines for security make me a bit nervous. Guess I will be getting up extra early

I stayed at Disneyland Hotel for Tink and I did not experience security issues. However, pretty much everyone at other hotels did due to how the security lines were set-up in DTD and a lack of communication for where runners could just walk through security at the finish.

Hopefully, the Disneyland Half keeps their great course entertainment from previous years. That portion was disappointing for Tink this year.

I love running in California but I have to say WDW has really picked it up and might be running better races now. The Star Wars Dark Side half marathon was awesome! Tink had incredible weather and that made it worth it but the article above really hammers home the issues that were blatantly obvious with this years race.

may be a dumb question but....how do you become a Legacy Runner?

Legacy status has been recognized by runDisney for participants who have run an inaugural half or full marathon (or Goofy Challenge) and every subsequent year after that. It is typically "recognized" by some mention and token (lanyard, small gift) every fifth race (what some refer to as the 5th or 10th "anniversary" etc.).

Rumor has it that runDisney is no longer going to recognize legacy runners at any of its newer races, such as Star Wars and Super Heroes. Also, outside of Goofy, no other challenge has reached its fifth year so it is uncertain that runDisney will recognize those who have run every 10k/Half or Dopey challenge thus far. The Dumbo/Disneyland Challenge this year will be the first subsequent challenge to achieve this, so we should know of rD's intentions to legacy status of challenges at that point.

HTH

I love running in California but I have to say WDW has really picked it up and might be running better races now. The Star Wars Dark Side half marathon was awesome! Tink had incredible weather and that made it worth it but the article above really hammers home the issues that were blatantly obvious with this years race.

Absolutely agree with this! I'm still hoping they will rethink a few of the changes and that the Disneyland Half will be just as good as previous years.

Last edited:
Anyone doing the double dare who is looking to share a room? I was signed up for think but didn't get to go. :(

Still haven't done a disneyland race yet.

For those who were thinking about becoming raw threads members, they have 1 half and 4 challenge bibs available. Got my husband in just under the wire! :)

For those who were thinking about becoming raw threads members, they have 1 half and 4 challenge bibs available. Got my husband in just under the wire! :)

I'm already registered for the half, but curious in general about the benefits of Raw Threads membership. What are the membership benefits that you take advantage of regularly?

I'm already registered for the half, but curious in general about the benefits of Raw Threads membership. What are the membership benefits that you take advantage of regularly?

I get product discount offers once per month, random gift cards for loyalty, and opportunities to register for races when I feel like it. They tend to have registrations past sellout from rundisney dates and it is easier on my bank account.

They also do loyalty offers toward the end of the year at the holidays. IF you like their products it's worth the $125.

I just had to point out to my Dad that me flying in at 5:30 ish in the evening on the day before the 5k when I'm doing the 5k the next day won't work. Couple the time of driving to Anaheim and just getting out of the airport I'm looking at 7:30 before I'm at the expo and that's if nothing goes awry. I know about morning of pickup and I saw where it's at now. I would rather not do that.

I get why he scheduled me then. They may be joining out in CA for the race and that's right around the time there flight arrives. That doesn't change the fact it really doesn't work.

registration closed for all. When it takes you to the Active page it goes straight to commemerative items only.

registration closed for all. When it takes you to the Active page it goes straight to commemerative items only.

Anyone find this suspicious? How can race that was open for all these months just sellout so fast? Do you think its connected to the issues for delay in lightside? Permit issues? I think they may have just closed the registration and it did not necessarily sellout. I just have a bad feeling about the future of rundisney at dl

Anyone find this suspicious? How can race that was open for all these months just sellout so fast? Do you think its connected to the issues for delay in lightside? Permit issues? I think they may have just closed the registration and it did not necessarily sellout. I just have a bad feeling about the future of rundisney at dl

I don't think there's anything suspicious at all. The race weekend has been open since before Christmas, IIRC, and some of the races have been showing as sold out and popping back open for limited times. That's not selling out so fast, that's just the tail end of the bib supply being exhausted. It seems more like a case of RunDisney having their bulk of bibs sold and getting limited quantities back from TAs or charities and releasing them for general sale.

It wouldn't take much to exhaust bibs under those circumstances and we have no way of knowing if the races were open with 5 bibs available or 500. It make absolutely no sense for RunDisney to stop sales of available bibs this close to the event. If they had permit issues they would have suspended registration a long time ago, like they did with Light Side.

Ultimately I think we're all letting our imaginations run wild because of Light Side having delayed registration and some of the Tink experiments that didn't go well. It's also worth keeping in mind that Light Side registration had not yet opened at this point last year, so while there's been a delay it certainly hasn't shortened the typical registration window at this point.

I don't think there's anything suspicious at all. The race weekend has been open since before Christmas, IIRC, and some of the races have been showing as sold out and popping back open for limited times. That's not selling out so fast, that's just the tail end of the bib supply being exhausted. It seems more like a case of RunDisney having their bulk of bibs sold and getting limited quantities back from TAs or charities and releasing them for general sale.

It wouldn't take much to exhaust bibs under those circumstances and we have no way of knowing if the races were open with 5 bibs available or 500. It make absolutely no sense for RunDisney to stop sales of available bibs this close to the event. If they had permit issues they would have suspended registration a long time ago, like they did with Light Side.

Ultimately I think we're all letting our imaginations run wild because of Light Side having delayed registration and some of the Tink experiments that didn't go well. It's also worth keeping in mind that Light Side registration had not yet opened at this point last year, so while there's been a delay it certainly hasn't shortened the typical registration window at this point.

Agree completley.

I for one and hoping they just put things on hold, as i was hoping to run this half for my coast to coast, but needed to make sure I could find a decent flight home to the east coast before I committed. I can do the avengers if need be, but this one fit into my school schedule better, so I'm really hoping it opens back up

For those looking at races, here are the current numbers for raw threads entries:
- 5K: 3
-10K: 2
- Half: 1
- Challenge: 1*

*Just emailed in for my friend Samantha to take the challenge, but there may be others in the queue ahead of her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter