Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

I'll be flying out of Logan as well and like you, cannot take another winter like last year's again! I left for PHM weekend that Thursday morning and had to shovel another 4" off my car. And I was not wearing winter gear. :rolleyes:

In 2014 my flight out of Providence (cheaper than Logan) for GSC was cancelled due to weather. It took 4days to get out. I'd planned to leave Saturday, finally got out Wednesday.

This year I wanted to fly out on Sunday before, but couldn't get a decent price. So we went Monday instead. Flights Sunday were cancelled due to weather, but I got out Monday thankfully.

New England weather sure makes training and travel stressful! Last winter was a nightmare, my kids didn't get out of school until June 26, let's hope this winter is gentler and outdoor training is easier!!!

@Bree i have a 220 also! Love it!!

And I have heard that the phone GPS are always off - and that many people consider Garmin to be the gold standard for measuring running distances. Crazy just how off it really can be!

GPS apps are REALLY off. The last half I did, my Garmin Forerunner 10 logged me at 13.15 miles. Runkeeper? 13.68 miles! That's a REALLY big difference, especially for an out-and-back course that's really flat with a small running field.

I find that the worst walkers are the groups that stretch out across the entire running path and do not move no matter how many times you alert them you are coming up behind. I had to go off the course a few times to get around them.

Ugh! I have to do this at the track every day!

Can someone tell me how quickly the half fills up? My family and I are going on a cruise the day of the half and thought if I'm going to be there why not run. I haven't decided yet but depending on how fast the half fills up the decision may be made for me.

Can someone tell me how quickly the half fills up? My family and I are going on a cruise the day of the half and thought if I'm going to be there why not run. I haven't decided yet but depending on how fast the half fills up the decision may be made for me.

I just went back and looked at last years thread for guidance. The GSC sold out in 1 hour 48 minutes according to one poster. The 10k was next and then the half, all by the end of the day. But the posts are not time stamped, so I can't tell exactly when someone posted the 10k and half sold out. If I recall correctly I think the 10k was sold out by dinner time (East coast) and the half in the evening. I went and checked for the DVC early registration links and they are gone, so I assume early registration for this year is sold out.

Past sell out time doesn't necessarily predict the same thing will happen this year, but it is a least a framework. Last year Avengers sold out super fast, but for this year the half is still available, months after registration began. I would fully expect Princess to sell out the GSC and 10k the day registration opens. I am guessing the half will sell out that day, but definitely within a few days.

I know it may be in the thread somewhere but... can someone tell me if there are non-Disney hotels that will offer a shuttle to the race? My TA just quoted me Disney rates for race weekend and I would have to crack open my kid's college fund to pay for it!

I was looking at a map and it looks like normally to get to the Wide World of Sports one would have to get to either one of the All Stars, Pop, or Caribbean Beach and take a bus to WWOS. With that being a popular destination on race weekends, are there more buses to get there from other places or still the normal bus routes? If normal routes is the case, do you who have done this before take the bus or did you go with a cab? Or any other suggestions to get to the Expo?

After much internal debate I've decided to solely run the half marathon instead of GSC. I hate the thought of missing out on some of the fun, but the thought of waking up at 1:30am (my time) two mornings in a row just makes me feel queasy! If there is anything I am a baby about it is my sleep! :faint: Did anyone go through this same struggle and then regretted not doing GSC in the end?

Anyway, finally making this decision has made everything so real to me (and I also am less stressed at the thought of registering for the half rather than the challenge!). Good luck to everyone registering on Tuesday!! :wizard:

Last edited:
I was looking at a map and it looks like normally to get to the Wide World of Sports one would have to get to either one of the All Stars, Pop, or Caribbean Beach and take a bus to WWOS. With that being a popular destination on race weekends, are there more buses to get there from other places or still the normal bus routes? If normal routes is the case, do you who have done this before take the bus or did you go with a cab? Or any other suggestions to get to the Expo?

For each race weekend, the host hotels (which for this weekend is all of them) have special buses to the expo - there will be a sign somewhere for race weekend transportation, and that's where you'll catch your bus to the expo and to the races.

For each race weekend, the host hotels (which for this weekend is all of them) have special buses to the expo - there will be a sign somewhere for race weekend transportation, and that's where you'll catch your bus to the expo and to the races.
That is awesome (and what I hoped to hear). Thanks!

I just went back and looked at last years thread for guidance. The GSC sold out in 1 hour 48 minutes according to one poster. The 10k was next and then the half, all by the end of the day. But the posts are not time stamped, so I can't tell exactly when someone posted the 10k and half sold out. If I recall correctly I think the 10k was sold out by dinner time (East coast) and the half in the evening. I went and checked for the DVC early registration links and they are gone, so I assume early registration for this year is sold out.

Past sell out time doesn't necessarily predict the same thing will happen this year, but it is a least a framework. Last year Avengers sold out super fast, but for this year the half is still available, months after registration began. I would fully expect Princess to sell out the GSC and 10k the day registration opens. I am guessing the half will sell out that day, but definitely within a few days.

I checked AP registration and while there's still a link for the half when you click through it is marked as sold out. The 5K and kids races are the only things available. And actually Saturday's 1 mile run was sold out too. Not sure how that will impact registration on Tuesday, but that's where things stand now.

I hate to ask what is prob a dumb question... but DVC pre-registration is sold out for the 10k?

I am in an endless look btwn DVC and RunDisney web pages... but neither admit to a sellout..

I hate to ask what is prob a dumb question... but DVC pre-registration is sold out for the 10k?

I am in an endless look btwn DVC and RunDisney web pages... but neither admit to a sellout..

I'm not DVC, but AP registration is sold out for the 10K.

I just checked the DVC early reg page. All races are sold out for DVC slots. Sorry!

So I bit the bullet and signed up for the half marathon during the passholder presale and I found out this morning that my training partner has now bailed on me. This is my first half marathon and she was the one who convinced me to do in the first place. Not that I'm not still excited, but I am now a little disappointed.

So to make a long story short, if there is anyone in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area or actually anywhere who is looking for a virtual training partner, PM me. I think this would be more fun to do with someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter