Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

If anyone is interested in giving me trip plan advice for marathon weekend I created a thread about it on the Events/Competition board. Come over and give me your opinion. I am doing Goofy and don't want to over do the parks before the race. Thanks!!

Either sesamoiditis or metatarsalgia. More or less, they both mean inflammation under your toes. I had sesamoiditis for over a year. It felt like I had a pebble in my shoe, especially when I was barefoot. Only treatment was ice and anti-inflammatories. I continued to run with no ill effect. Switching to a wide shoe seems to have helped. Did you change anything? New shoes, new socks, new insoles, new route with a different surface? If so, that could contribute to the problem. See the doc (since it probably involves bones and joints, I see a orthopedic physician for stuff like this), get an X-ray to verify everything's in one piece, and with their blessing, keep running. You're in the taper now, so there's a chance the reduced mileage may cure it. So then the big question is what to do between now and the doc appointment? Conventional wisdom would say stay off of it, just in case it's something more serious. You really have to be in touch with your body and evaluate the situation. Remember the advise above about under-trained vs. over-trained. Good Luck!

I got new shoes about a month ago for my other injury and they have worked great. That injury was a much bigger running problem so I don't want to change shoes again and risk a flair up from that.

I'll look into those things, I have never heard of either of them. My pain is in the top/side of my toe rather than underneath, and my shoes are definitely large/loose enough. Hmmmm.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to stop running (and I usually do for injuries!) since it hurts less when I'm in my running shoes than anything else (and I did my 18 miler with this problem last weekend with no seemingly ill effects).

Thanks for the input!

I missed my last long runs last weekend (12 & 26) due to having strep throat so instead of doing the scheduled 6 today I went and did 13 just to make sure I was ready mentally and didn't go too long without a longer run. I ended up running about 10 minutes faster than I plan to in two weeks and didn't have any ill effects. So at least I know the half-marathon won't be a problem and can focus more on the marathon portion of the Goofy.

It's been great reading this thread for advice, tips, stories, and encouragement. I hope that everyone can avoid injuries and illness these last two weeks and gets to enjoy whatever race(s) they may be doing this year. While running today I tried to imagine what it will be like with thousands of other Disney runners around me, running by characters, and running through the parks. Something tells me that no matter how hard I try my imagination won't do the real thing justice.

I missed my last long runs last weekend (12 & 26) due to having strep throat so instead of doing the scheduled 6 today I went and did 13 just to make sure I was ready mentally and didn't go too long without a longer run. I ended up running about 10 minutes faster than I plan to in two weeks and didn't have any ill effects. So at least I know the half-marathon won't be a problem and can focus more on the marathon portion of the Goofy.

It's been great reading this thread for advice, tips, stories, and encouragement. I hope that everyone can avoid injuries and illness these last two weeks and gets to enjoy whatever race(s) they may be doing this year. While running today I tried to imagine what it will be like with thousands of other Disney runners around me, running by characters, and running through the parks. Something tells me that no matter how hard I try my imagination won't do the real thing justice.

We've also all been battling illness. No true flu, but a nasty respiratory illness. No runs for me during the week but I'm finally feeling better. Planning to do 8 tomorrow. I'm hoping we are getting all this out of the way now so we can be healthy on the trip.

I'm starting think that training during Winter means you'll likely get sick at least once (especially if you have kids!) right in the middle of it! :sad:

Glad to hear folks are getting better, though!!! :goodvibes

And @thill, I'm with you on everyone avoiding any further illness/injuries so that we can all enjoy the race in two weeks! :shamrock:

If we can make it to the race, it's going to be awesome!!! :thumbsup2 :yay: :woohoo: :cool1: :banana:

Ok guys, since between us we have a lot of injury experience, I have a new question for you guys....

About a week ago, I started having sharp pain in the end of my second toe...at first I thought it was a blister, but other than a small callous, my toe appears to be in pretty good shape. I've discovered that what causes the pain is the ball of my foot pressing into/leaving the ground (I think its pressure related), but the pain is only the the end/side of my one toe, nowhere else in my foot. The toe doesn't hurt to touch or bend in any way. The pain is very manageable when I wear my running shoes and hardly bothers me during runs, but is unbearable to walk around barefoot.

Any ideas at all about what this could be?

I asked my physical therapist (who I see twice a week about a mid-foot joint injury that is now mostly healed) and she had no idea. I made an appointment with a podiatrist, but with the holidays, it isn't until Jan 2nd. At that point, I am somewhat afraid to let them do any major treatments to my foot that close to race weekend, since at least I can currently run on it (though I might be wearing my sneakers to the pool since I can't walk without them...)

Ideas? Musings? Suggestions? I'm desperate for ANYTHING!

I have no idea, but have the same issue. Side of the toe, thought it was a blister, but looks like a small callous. Doesn't hurt once I start running, but hurts when walking and during the warm-up mile of my run. I wear ugg slippers around the house and swapped those for smartwool wicking socks this afternoon. I wonder if the long runs followed by ugg warmth is bad for the callous. That's a random guess - also looking for input!

I have no idea, but have the same issue. Side of the toe, thought it was a blister, but looks like a small callous. Doesn't hurt once I start running, but hurts when walking and during the warm-up mile of my run. I wear ugg slippers around the house and swapped those for smartwool wicking socks this afternoon. I wonder if the long runs followed by ugg warmth is bad for the callous. That's a random guess - also looking for input!

I have taken off the callous and popped the blister underneath-no relief and the more I pay attention to it, the more I become concerned that it is nerve related :/
Hoping the doctor has good news!

If yours is a callous, I took mine off by soaking it in a tub then scraping it with a pumice stone-it took several sessions. Didn't work for me though, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it....
Hope you are feeling better soon!

Too perfect... Makes me nervous.

DisneyTemps3_zpsa1b330de.png

You had right to be nervous..

Wed
1/7/2015
78° 55° 0 in 0 in Cloudy 71° 49°

Thu
1/8/2015
79° 56° 0 in 0 in Partly sunny 71° 49°

Fri
1/9/2015
78° 59° 0 in 0 in Partly sunny 71° 49°

Sat
1/10/2015
78° 54° 0 in 0 in Sunny 71° 49°

Sun
1/11/2015
79° 53° 0.11 in 0 in Mostly cloudy 71° 49

I know it can and probably will change, but damn..:mad:

Wed
1/7/2015

Thu
1/8/2015

Fri
1/9/2015

Sat
1/10/2015

Sun
1/11/2015

We were just looking at the same thing. It's too far out for me to get too concerned yet, but I'm really hoping those numbers cool off a bit. That's great temps for park touring, but lousy for running races.

Wed
1/7/2015

Thu
1/8/2015

Fri
1/9/2015

Sat
1/10/2015

Sun
1/11/2015

I actually hope that stays since we will be at the parks the following week. I'm also so used to running in high temp with high humidity that 50s/60s is cool enough for me. ;) For the sake of everyone else though, I'm ok with mid 40s for the start.

Wed
1/7/2015

Thu
1/8/2015

Fri
1/9/2015

Sat
1/10/2015

Sun
1/11/2015

I have no idea what 49 is like in FL with humidity!
I ran in Indiana this morning at 43 degrees and I was wearing a jacket over a running shirt with gloves and headband to cover my ears. I have a feeling us Northerners are doomed.

I have real trouble with self-sabotage the closer I get to a race. Do other people struggle with this? I've been disciplined with my eating and training since last January, but this last week I've found it very difficult to control my eating. You'd think it would get easier since the goal is almost here, but just the opposite happens. I'm sure there is some psychological explanation (maybe subconsciously putting an excuse in place? Sabotaging because I'm afraid achieving the goal won't be as satisfying as I've imagined it will be?) Whatever it is it's frustrating... at least stepping on the scale today I got renewed resolve from what I saw to stay disciplined these last couple of weeks.

I have had a problem with eating at this time of the training too. I am just soooooo hungry all the time. People always ask me how much weight I lose when doing marathon training. The answer is zero pounds. I will lose weight in the early stages, but once things ramp up, nope. Couldn't you just be hungry from the exertion of the long miles?

I have real trouble with self-sabotage the closer I get to a race. Do other people struggle with this? I've been disciplined with my eating and training since last January, but this last week I've found it very difficult to control my eating. You'd think it would get easier since the goal is almost here, but just the opposite happens. I'm sure there is some psychological explanation (maybe subconsciously putting an excuse in place? Sabotaging because I'm afraid achieving the goal won't be as satisfying as I've imagined it will be?) Whatever it is it's frustrating... at least stepping on the scale today I got renewed resolve from what I saw to stay disciplined these last couple of weeks.

Don't beat yourself up too hard. Your body is used to demanding huge volumes of calories during your training. Now that you're tapering, you don't need as many, but your body hasn't adjusted to that yet. It will get there soon, but in the meantime, just be aware of the issue and do your best to keep your appetite under control. Drinking lots of water will help.

Reminder to pack a singlet/tank and lightweight shorts, in case race day resembles current conditions.

My weather app shows, at 6:43 am -- Lake Buena Vista, 70 degrees, 100% humidity.

Reminder to pack a singlet/tank and lightweight shorts, in case race day resembles current conditions.

My weather app shows, at 6:43 am -- Lake Buena Vista, 70 degrees, 100% humidity.

It's pretty ugly out right now. We're about 45 minutes east of Orlando, and it's warm and foggy. Glad I got my peak run in yesterday.

Should we start sharing what are good places for our spectators?

We have had the best luck with this plan for marathon, thanks to my mother-in-law's mastery of Disney transportation. She made the plan in 2010 and it worked perfectly. They went first to Animal Kingdom. We saw them when we first entered the park, and then they hauled butt out the front gate and were waiting for us as we headed out of the parking lot, so we saw them twice at AK. Then they saw that the Epcot bus line was huge, so they jumped on the bus to the TTC, where they took the monorail to Epcot and were waiting for us right by Spaceship Earth. For two older people lugging around three kids, we were amazed that they made it to see us three times.

Two years ago we deviated from this plan a bit to watch for our runners at the TTC. This was an excellent spot as well.

Anybody want to tell their favorites?

Also, this year we will be watching friends in the half and we're going to use "find my iPhone" to track them, since it will give us more current information than the tracking provided by the race.

I was going to have my family first see me while I run past the Grand Floridian or the Poly (when I ran the half those places were alot less crowded than MK). Then exiting AK, HS toward the bus stops and hopefully the end.

My DC will be a volunteer at the last water stop (mile 24.8) in Epcot, so hopefully her enthusiasm helps get me over the hump to the finish. Please say "hi" to Julie if you can, tell her you are a friend of Missy's. It would put a huge smile on her face. :cloud9: She's been volunteering for quite a few years at the marathon and absolutely loves to do it even though she can't talk for a couple days after!!

I've looked everywhere I could think before asking this, when do we find out our coral assignments? I thought it was before the expo? I haven't gotten any emails from disney? Thank you!!!!!

I've looked everywhere I could think before asking this, when do we find out our coral assignments? I thought it was before the expo? I haven't gotten any emails from disney? Thank you!!!!!

Go to RunDisney.com,click on the marathon weekend link under events,once there click on runner info and there you will see the links for corrals and bibs and waivers.When you print your waiver you will see your bib number at the bottom,then under corrals and bibs just click on whatever event you're running in to see what corral your bib number is assigned to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter